*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

371,918 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe del Toro is some sort of collector that is looking for powerful stones... ie lightsaber crystals

This will be our connection to the Marvel Universe!
Satellite of Love
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm skeptical about Trevorrow, but I think this is their thinking. To be optimistic, I thought the faults in JW were in the writing, not as much as the directing.
I'm still trying to understand why they had Clare run around the entire movie in heels..... That bugged the **** out of me.... The entire movie....
it's been a while since i've seen the movie and it is a bit forgettable, but she was a business woman wearing heels when it hit the fan. Do you expect her to stop looking for her people to change shoes at a footlocker, go home to change shoes, go barefoot or take some off a corpse?
In those situations, barefoot would have been much better than heels!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
it's been a while since i've seen the movie and it is a bit forgettable, but she was a business woman wearing heels when it hit the fan. Do you expect her to stop looking for her people to change shoes at a footlocker, go home to change shoes, go barefoot or take some off a corpse?
I'd expect her to take the shoes off once they got back to the park or rip the heels off.
IrishAg
So has the Darth Plagueis is Snoke discussion started up here yet (waited to see the movie with the Wife and didn't get a chance to join in here before now)? It's an interesting theory, and one that I now am getting behind since I didn't realize that the Darth Plagueis book was removed from Cannon with the EU books. That removal doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the book takes place well before Episode 1, and the only reason I can think of to remove this book from the timeline is if they need to rewrite something that happens in that book, possibly the whole the Darth Sidious killing Plagueis?

FYI, it was a great book that explained how Palpatine become Darth Sidious.

And for another reference, here's the cover with Plagueis on the right.
Quinn
AG
Most women in my office wear flats or sneakers while commuting and put on heels when they get to the office. It wouldn't have been out of place to have her switch up her shoes real quick.
BeefAg_00~
quote:
Let me start off by saying I don't think Rey is a Kenobi.

That being said, Obi Wan wasn't the purest of Jedi and could have possibly "broken the code" when it comes to women.

In the Clone Wars (i.e. CANON), Obi- Wan admitted to Satine of Mandalore that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she would have asked. Maybe they got busy and started an accidental lineage that led to Rey?

They better not expect me to watch F'n cartoons to understand all this stuff. If so I'm out.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Let me start off by saying I don't think Rey is a Kenobi.

That being said, Obi Wan wasn't the purest of Jedi and could have possibly "broken the code" when it comes to women.

In the Clone Wars (i.e. CANON), Obi- Wan admitted to Satine of Mandalore that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she would have asked. Maybe they got busy and started an accidental lineage that led to Rey?

They better not expect me to watch F'n cartoons to understand all this stuff. If so I'm out.
Watching Star Wars is awesome, anything animated is too far. Sounds reasonable.
Donald Glover
AG
Yes, it's been mentioned a few times, and I for one believe that Snoke is Darth Plagueis, but I guess we'll just have to wait to learn more about Snoke
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
So has the Darth Plagueis is Snoke discussion started up here yet (waited to see the movie with the Wife and didn't get a chance to join in here before now)? It's an interesting theory, and one that I now am getting behind since I didn't realize that the Darth Plagueis book was removed from Cannon with the EU books. That removal doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the book takes place well before Episode 1, and the only reason I can think of to remove this book from the timeline is if they need to rewrite something that happens in that book, possibly the whole the Darth Sidious killing Plagueis?
It's a possibility, but don't read too much into the book being removed. It was just easier to wipe almost everything rather than to pick and choose what they wanted to keep.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
It's a possibility, but don't read too much into the book being removed. It was just easier to wipe almost everything rather than to pick and choose what they wanted to keep.
Palpatine says in RotS that Plagueis was killed by his apprentice, so removing the book doesn't do anything about that. They'll have to retcon it either way if they want him to be not dead.
TCTTS
AG
Was literally about to post these two Snoke-as-Plagueis speculation pieces. I'm convinced he is...

Collider / "Theories on Supreme Leader Snoke"

Heroic Hollywood / "The Identity Of Supreme Leader Snoke Revealed?"
BeefAg_00~
quote:
It's probably also been mentioned a ton of times in this thread but I'll ask:

Who else missed the 20th Century Fox Fanfare just prior to the beginning of TFA?

I thought I would miss it, but turns out I'm 100% ok with not having it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm about 70/30 on Snoke being Plagueis.
Donald Glover
AG
Well Snoke looked old as crap so you have to think he was around during the events of OT and maybe even the prequels...
watty
AG
Apologies if this has already been covered, but this thread is long...

Finn's ability to just think for himself and have what was essentially a moral objection to the job that he had been brainwashed into for his entire life seemed odd to me. How was this one storm trooper able to suddenly think for himself and make a choice like that? For one thing, and this will likely prove how little I know about Star Wars, but I never even realized Storm Troopers were human. I thought they were robots or thoughtless clones or something. So now that I know they aren't, it seems odd that he could break away from his training like that. So was there something larger (the Force...) at play inside him? I'm really wondering if there is more to his story or if I just need to be ok with one random Storm Trooper having the ability to think for himself.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:
Based on everyone I have talked to, on their second viewing the score was more noticeable and they seemed to enjoy it more.
Absolutely. I am really coming around on the music after the second viewing. May do a third viewing tonight.

I think the score has some of John Williams' most thoughtful and intricate compositions. Rey's Theme is sweet, but inwardly strong and purposeful. Scherzo for X-Wings is one of my favorites. I love how the main theme and the Imperial March are included in multiple variations. (As far as scherzi go, it's pretty dark, though; Chopin would have approved.) A really powerful moment comes in the last measures of The Jedi Steps when Rey's theme combines with Luke's theme as they meet. It's almost heartbreaking.
chase128
AG
quote:

Finn's ability to just think for himself and have what was essentially a moral objection to the job that he had been brainwashed into for his entire life seemed odd to me. How was this one storm trooper able to suddenly think for himself and make a choice like that? For one thing, and this will likely prove how little I know about Star Wars, but I never even realized Storm Troopers were human. I thought they were robots or thoughtless clones or something. So now that I know they aren't, it seems odd that he could break away from his training like that. So was there something larger (the Force...) at play inside him? I'm really wondering if there is more to his story or if I just need to be ok with one random Storm Trooper having the ability to think for himself.
I think that's a fair concern. Do you recall in the movie how they talked about his background? He had no prior "incidents" but he was being sent to reconditioning or something like that.

Maybe stormtroopers breaking out of their mold isn't that uncommon. There's so many of them, too, so finally 1 has a mental "wake-up call" and manages to get out. It is a bit far fetched maybe, but not totally out of the realm of possibility in my opinion.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I just have to say this:

My six year old IDOLIZES Han Solo. He has been his favorite character forever. He was sooo stoked when Han came on the scene. He and I high fived in the theatre.

I will never forget the look on his face when Kylo killed Han. He looked up at me and said, "Daddy, is Han Solo dead?"

And I said, "Yeah, buddy, he is."

My kid curled up in a ball on his theatre seat and cried for ten minutes. I totally had to go all dad-comfort mode and couldn't properly mourn myself.

My kid was DESTROYED by that scene. He still loves playing with his BB8/Poe/Rey Legos, but when asked, he says, "That was not a good movie."

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

you probably are not wrong that there is soemthing more at play here - they have successfully programmed thousands or millions....but not him.

and storm troopers WERE clones in the Prequels....at some point that changed (it was mentioned in this film actually that maybe they should go back to clones)....this is the FIrst Order not the Empire so presumably they got their storm troopers in a different manner.
InternetFan02
AG
If they have a reconditioning program then clearly it's not uncommon to act out.

But also General Hux said that his storm troopers were programmed at birth in response to Kylo threatening to use clone troopers. Finn's story implies he was taken as a child.
Rule Number 32
AG
After watching the movie a second time, I just have a couple of small complaints. Probably discussed in the last 30 pages since I didnt read them all, but who cares.

1 - Why did they reveal Han as the father so early, and in such a weak way? Having Stoke say YOUR FATHER HAN SOLO was the dumbest way they could reveal that. Sure, we all thought it might be a possibility, but if I was editing the film, I would have created a little tension. I would have shown the scene with Kylo and Darth, had him say the grandfather line, then teased at Luke being the father a couple of times, before having Han later call out BEN, and then revealing him as the father. I just felt like that really lost a lot of steam.

2 - The spinning at the end still bothered me a bit. So I fixed it. When Rey was holding out the lightsaber, I watched for a second, then closed my eyes and just listened to the music. PERFECT ENDING. Why did they even have to show anything else?

Edit: forgot to say that I enjoyed the movie much more the 2nd time through because I wasn't sitting there the whole time wondering if they were really going to pull it off and put out a decent star wars movie. I just sat back and really enjoyed the ride the 2nd time, and it was so much fun.
IrishAg
quote:
Just seems odd to remove this book but leave the Tarkin book in official Cannon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
1 - Why did they reveal Han as the father so early, and in such a weak way? Having Stoke say YOUR FATHER HAN SOLO was the dumbest way they could reveal that. Sure, we all thought it might be a possibility, but if I was editing the film, I would have created a little tension. I would have shown the scene with Kylo and Darth, had him say the grandfather line, then teased at Luke being the father a couple of times, before having Han later call out BEN, and then revealing him as the father. I just felt like that really lost a lot of steam.
Spot on.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
good point. Also would have worked if Han had revealed it during his conversation with Leia - "I saw our son"

I loved the reveal with the Vader mask "grandfather....I will finish what you started"

The Snoke line feels like it was inserted later in the editing process
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

I think that's a fair concern. Do you recall in the movie how they talked about his background? He had no prior "incidents" but he was being sent to reconditioning or something like that.

Maybe stormtroopers breaking out of their mold isn't that uncommon. There's so many of them, too, so finally 1 has a mental "wake-up call" and manages to get out. It is a bit far fetched maybe, but not totally out of the realm of possibility in my opinion.
It's also worth noting, not to bring back those damn animated things again, that in the Clone Wars series there were several incidents of clone toopers struggling to perform their duties, do things they didn't agree with morally, etc. So even among the clones there's some precedent there.

Fast forward to "present day" and we can pretty safely assume that their ranks have changed somewhat and are at least no longer purely clones, so the fact that a soldier like Finn might rebel against his programming isn't too far fetched IMO.
Rule Number 32
AG
Yeah that would have worked as well, just to have Han say I saw our son. That could have been perfect.

It makes even less sense when you realize that the grandfather line and the crappy reveal are literally like 3 minutes apart.
watty
AG
Thanks for the answers, y'all.
IrishAg
quote:

I thought that whole piece was way too rushed, in fact I would rather have Kylo kill Han and then potentially find out in a later movie why that was so significant. Keep the suspense, maybe make us think it's Luke's son, and then the big reveal in episode VIII find out it was really Han's son. It took a lot of the emotional element from Han's death, by knowing who Kylo was already and that he was building up to kill him, with the whole trying to banish the light.

With that said, I have other issues, but like you, still absolutely loved the movie!
BeefAg_00~
quote:
OK, here's a fun theory. Remember in ESB, when Luke leaves Dagobah, Ghost Ben says "that boy was our last hope." Yoda replies "no, there is another." Well, for years everyone assumed that Yoda was talking about Leia. What if Yoda was talking about the future? Moreover, what if Luke's lightsaber (like The One Ring) decided that Luke wasn't the best bet and "escaped" on Cloud City in order to be "lost" and "found" by the next Skywalker descendant?

This is just soo dumb. The lightsaber decided to give up on Luke so that it could be put to better use by Luke's kid? What if Luke didn't jump and got Solo'd off the walkway? LOL
Sex Panther
AG

quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I think they probably thought about doing something like that and decided not to for a few reasons... For one, the movie already has a ton of similarities to the original. That would've been yet another homage with an, "I am your father" reveal... And two, they are already doing that with Rey obviously. It would've started to feel like an episode of Maury with all these shocking "you are the father!" reveals.

But I definitely understand what you're saying.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Can we make 3 more threads?

One for all Harry Potter/ LOTR connections
One for all Captain Phasma is Rey's mom
and one for Darth Plaguies is Snoke

Really clear up some clutter.
hurleyag
AG
One super minor change I would have liked was how quick Maz was to offer Luke/Anakin's lightsaber to 2 different people. She is a pirate, I don't think she would hand over a priceless/powerful weapon so easily.
bankshot11
AG
Finally made it through all 41 pages. Seen it twice already, both in 3D and one in IMAX at the Bullock Museum. Some things I either haven't seen mentioned or just liked well enough to mention again:

- The music that plays when Rey grabs the lightsaber is the same that played when Luke discovers Beru and Owen's corpses in ANH. Figured that supports the theory that Rey is a Skywalker.

- In addition to the new three, Hux might be my favorite character. Loved the "competition" he had with Kylo over Snoke's attention.

- When Kylo is interrogating Rey, does he put his helmet on top of Vader's ashes?

- LOVE the soundtrack after initially hating it.

- Also enjoyed the minor character moments, like the Stormies noping out of Kylo's tantrum, and the one officer running away when Starkiller Base was about to explode.

Still have tons of questions which I'm sure will be answered, but the biggest thing I want to know is how Maz came into possession of the lightsaber.

And last but not least, the absolute worst fan theory I've read so far: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3690499
BeefAg_00~
quote:
Here's a question: would you be angry if you never find out who Rey's mother is?

It's not like we know who Anakin's father is (assuming that we've officially killed the Baby Jesus stuff from Lucas).

I think momma Ani wasn't so forthcoming about the no father thing. I bet she took Darth Plagious to pound town and felt ashamed.
Red Five
AG
Need someone to pshop Snoke's head in here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.