*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,907 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
When Kylo is interrogating Rey, he reads her mind. He says, "I see an island in middle of blue sea" or something similar. That sounds like where Luke was hiding to me.
I think you're reading a little too much into that. I think Rey envisioned a reality where she wasn't on Jakku and that helped her get through having to be there while waiting for someone to come back for her.
wangus12
AG
quote:
When Kylo is interrogating Rey, he reads her mind. He says, "I see an island in middle of blue sea" or something similar. That sounds like where Luke was hiding to me.
That was my immediate though. Which makes me think even more that Luke is her father.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I think you're reading a little too much into that. I think Rey envisioned a reality where she wasn't on Jakku and that helped her get through having to be there while waiting for someone to come back for her.
That was my interpretation as well, although it could very well be both.

I liked that she had a real reaction to landing on Takodana (had to look that up) and the environment there, so often we don't really get genuine reactions from characters' new experiences in films.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think him killing Han is going to set him up to just go completely crazy in the next set of movies. I wonder what reaction Luke will have when he finds out Han is dead.
I think Luke probably already knows given that Leia reacted to his death. I think Kylo thinks that by killing Han he will get stronger as he further separates himself as Kylo, from himself as Ben.
wangus12
AG
Luke definitely knows already. The pain is on his face when he reveals himself. Hell, he looks like he has a little dark side scowl going on.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That was my interpretation as well, although it could very well be both.
I know the Force works in mysterious ways and we joke about that as being explanations for different things in the franchise, but the Force some how speaking to Rey in her dreams and connecting that to Luke is straight bull****. This is one of those things that I think "KISS" (no offense to anyone) applies in regards to what happened.
YellowPot_97
AG
Luke's island and Rey's dream island are the same. The force was calling her to the island.
Quinn
AG
I thought R2D2 woke up bc he felt the Force with Rey.

Adam Driver did a fantastic job making Kylo seem powerful, yet immature and not fully trained/in control. I don't think we will see him redeemed to the light at the end of the trilogy.

My wife loved BB-8. She made me switch 3D glasses with her bc I had the BB-8 ones. Such a cool little robot.

I wonder how much of Luke training Rey will be in VIII? I'm gonna guess that he says he doesn't wNt to train her/doesn't do that anymore before she convinces him that it's necessary.

How long until VIII?? Can't wait!
YellowPot_97
AG
I still don't think I can jump on the Luke's daughter train though.
Simplebay
AG
Luke/Rey (Luke obviously will sacrifice himself for his daughter) vs Snoke/Kylo. A nice mix of force vs intense lightsaber, especially when Rey figures out Kylo killed uncle Han and (probably) just lost her dad too. That's when.... mommy shows up.

Its happening. They'd better fix the effects on Snoke, he looked like crap.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Luke/Rey (Luke obviously will sacrifice himself for his daughter) vs Snoke/Kylo. A nice mix of force vs intense lightsaber, especially when Rey figures out Kylo killed uncle Han and (probably) just lost her dad too. That's when.... mommy shows up.

Its happening. They'd better fix the effects on Snoke, he looked like crap.
Wasn't he a communication hologram?
InternetFan02
AG
Kylo's worldview is that Vader was seduced by the light side of the force and so he must resist the temptation that destroyed Grandpa. Awesome.

Why does Leia ignore Chewy and give the big hug to Rey? She likely has never met her or knew that she existed. She feels something.
Quinn
AG
Yes, that's why I didn't thing it was so bad. It looked weird at first when it looked like he was huge, but made more sense once it showed he was a hologram.
chilidogfood
AG
tldr the whole thread, but they need to tell Carrie Fisher to lay off the botox.

The camera would cut to behind her back whenever she had complicated lines to say. She looked almost as if she was a Jim Henson creation.

I take that back, I think Yoda had more facial expression capability than Carrie.
fig96
AG
I tend to agree, thought I like YellowPot's comment on that as well.

Not so much that it was connecting her to Luke, but that her "dream" was the place she was being called to and (probably) where she'll start her training in the Force.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Luke definitely knows already. The pain is on his face when he reveals himself. Hell, he looks like he has a little dark side scowl going on.
I think it will be interesting to see how Luke has changed by the time we get to the next film and we actually get to see him interact with Rey hopefully. I don't really remember there being a scowl.... Something to watch for in my next watching I guess.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
I still don't think I can jump on the Luke's daughter train though.
It just seems too obvious. That's the only thing that's keeping me from being all in.
InternetFan02
AG
I don't know the full backstory but I think we should be thankful that they were able to get Carrie Fisher back and put her in the movie. It clearly was a huge challenge.

And should be a concern for Mark Hamill.

But Harrison Ford absolutely owned his scenes as always. Best part of the movie. Makes me angry again how they ruined Indiana Jones 4.

I wonder if they had to promise Ford only 1 movie to get him to commit. Does Han Solo die like that in the books?
fig96
AG
quote:
I don't know the full backstory but I think we should be thankful that they were able to get Carrie Fisher back and put her in the movie. It clearly was a huge challenge.

But Harrison Ford absolutely owned his scenes as always. Best part of the movie. Makes me angry again how they ruined Indiana Jones 4.

I wonder if they had to promise Ford only 1 movie to get him to commit. Does Han Solo die like that in the books?
My brother made the comment that he was worried about not being able to get over the "hey, there's Harrison Ford" feeling in the movie, but as soon as he appeared on screen...damn, that was Han Solo.
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
I think it will be interesting to see how Luke has changed by the time we get to the next film and we actually get to see him interact with Rey hopefully. I don't really remember there being a scowl.... Something to watch for in my next watching I guess.
It wasn't so much a scowl as just an upset face. It was the look of grief in my head anyways.

quote:
Mark, lost a decent amount of weight and got back into some fitness to play the role going forward. He looked amazing at the premier compared to what he was.
wangus12
AG
They locked the Discussion Thread!
fig96
AG
Leading into the final scene, I was wondering what Rey was going to say, if she'd introduce herself, trying to figure how this interaction was going to play out as she was walking up all those steps.

Then he turns and she just extends the lightsaber towards him. Perfect.
jr15aggie
AG
A few thoughts on some things being talked about:

- R2 waking up is probably a good indication that he sensed Luke through Rey... albeit the force in her and/or her being Luke's kid. I don't think it's suppose to be a "big twist" or shocker when it's revealed. Perhaps the mother is a bigger reveal or perhaps the "who is Snoke" is a bigger reveal.

- Kylo killing Han was really good. Kylo admitted that he was conflicted and needed Han's help. In Kylo's mind he still had feelings for his family and if his family were dead he wouldn't have to battle the conflict anymore. "Thank you" he said to him. Twisted!

Outside of that I personally am not over analyzing or questioning things too much. For one, I will see what the book has to say... and two, they don't have to explain everything. How did Rey learn so much as a scavenger... I don't know, how did Anakin do all that as a slave? The force, right?!
wangus12
AG
quote:
Leading into the final scene, I was wondering what Rey was going to say, if she'd introduce herself, trying to figure how this interaction was going to play out as she was walking up all those steps.

Then he turns and she just extends the lightsaber towards him. Perfect.
Should have had Luke running around playing dress up as Vader and reenacting scenes from the old movies. Shows that he truly is a crazy old wizard hermit.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:

- Kylo killing Han was really good. Kylo admitted that he was conflicted and needed Han's help. In Kylo's mind he still had feelings for his family and if his family were dead he wouldn't have to battle the conflict anymore. "Thank you" he said to him. Twisted!
I love this. It was too heavy for my 8 and 10 year old boys who just assumed Ren noticed the sun go away and was forced to turn evil when he was on the verge of becoming good. "No dad he always turns dark after sundown"
chilidogfood
AG
I can see him sitting in a little cardboard X-Wing making pew-pew sounds.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

Not so much that it was connecting her to Luke, but that her "dream" was the place she was being called to and (probably) where she'll start her training in the Force.
There's precedent in canon I guess for the Force showing characters being called to places/people. Ahsoka was called to help Plo Kloon when she sensed he was in danger. Kanan as drawn to Ezra IIRC. Ezra sensed that he was called to the Jedi Temple in "Path of the Jedi" episode of season 1 (even though Kanan knew where to go). Anakin was called to his mother sensing her being in danger.

Part of my issue I guess is a personal one in that not everything needs to be directly tied together using the Force IMO. I was fine with the lightsaber calling to her and prompting a Force vision, but alluding that prior to that the Force was calling to her and showing her where Luke was is a bit much.
Ag Since 83
AG
Theory I just thought of. The clip from the 2nd teaser (and now we know from Rey's weird Force flashback) of Luke putting his hand on R2: Could that have been Rey's memory of Luke saying goodbye after giving R2 the map and programming him (however he did) to wake up once certain conditions were satisfied?
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
yeah people just need to ****ing go see the movie. That's exactly what I just texted my dad. With all these rumors of opening new screens and time slots it can be done.

By early next week it will be very hard to avoid spoilers as it hits the mainstream cultural realm.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:

Part of my issue I guess is a personal one in that not everything needs to be directly tied together using the Force IMO. I was fine with the lightsaber calling to her and prompting a Force vision, but alluding that prior to that the Force was calling to her and showing her where Luke was is a bit much.
why? When Luke gets to Dagobah, he says it feels familiar, like something 'out of a dream'. same deal here.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Staff = Sumlin. Arrogant yet clueless, and mishandling the entire situation.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
quote:
Staff = Sumlin. Arrogant yet clueless, and mishandling the entire situation.
please don't go all Kyler on us TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Like i mentioned in my review, my first thought is that R2 "sensed" Rey, and that woke him. What if R2 is somewhat force-sensitive after spending so much time around Luke? Or it could be Luke doing it.

But it's awesome that we get to speculate until the next movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'm glad they didn't kill Kylo off. I liked his character and I feel like they can do a lot with him.
Do we know for sure though? The last time we see him is laying in the snow before the planet blows up, right? Or do we see him get off?
wangus12
AG
Does he keep a tree in his innards

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.