*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,663 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
YellowPot_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I thought it looked like something from the Endor shield generator they blow up in RotJ
it's Cloud City

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The pic posted is. I don't think it was in the movie.
Knife_Party
The vision is defintely telekinesis hallway.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Took the girlfriend to see it this afternoon. She was pretty upset, mad, that Han died.

Remind her that Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo dead 32 years ago and has been pissed at Lucas since. He only agreed to do this film if Han Solo was killed.

So basically you had the choice of one last hurrah from Han Solo and he dies. Or no Han Solo at all and they just talk about him being dead offscreen.

Personally I was happy to see him one last time.

Oh I brought that up. Buying her some over priced coffee, Starbucks, smoother things over.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
I thought it looked like something from the Endor shield generator they blow up in RotJ
it's Cloud City

It is Cloud City. In the background you can hear Luke screaming "Noooo!" as Vader is telling him he is his father.

They filmed a scene that was supposed to be in the force vision where Rey witnesses the "I am your father" scene but from a different angle but cut it from the final version.
TexAgs91
AG
quote:
Remind her that Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo dead 32 years ago and has been pissed at Lucas since. He only agreed to do this film if Han Solo was killed.
This is what I don't get about actors. They're just saying the lines and acting out a character that the writer created. It's not their character!

If Ford doesn't want to play the part anymore that's his doing. He shouldn't be pissed at Lucas because he's tired of playing the part.
TexAgs91
AG
quote:
It is Cloud City. In the background you can hear Luke screaming "Noooo!" as Vader is telling him he is his father.

They filmed a scene that was supposed to be in the force vision where Rey witnesses the "I am your father" scene but from a different angle but cut it from the final version.
Who's vision is she seeing? She sees herself as a child. And the scene with Luke & R2. I thought that some element of the force stored these visions with the light saber since the light saber was an integral part of the whole Jedi Knight thing. So I thought any vision she saw would be from someone (probably Luke) who used the light saber at the time. If the scene is from some other angle down the hall when Vader tells Luke he's his father who's point of view is that and why isn't it Luke's POV?

Why is wherever the hallways is that Rey is seeing in the beginning of the vision shaking and dipping? The Bespin hallway wasn't doing that.

Does anyone remember what the hallways looked like in the Star Destroyer in Force Awakens and how similar they looked to the hallways in the vision?
nikator
AG
quote:
quote:
This is what I don't get about actors. They're just saying the lines and acting out a character that the writer created. It's not their character!

If Ford doesn't want to play the part anymore that's his doing. He shouldn't be pissed at Lucas because he's tired of playing the part.

The great actors actually ad lib quite a few of their lines and Ford did that as Han Solo.
Knife_Party
Its probably shaky and blurry because JJ thought it would look cool. It's not from Luke's POV because they didn't think that deeply about it.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Second viewing thoughts...

1. Why does Rey keep her arms covered at all times? Her wraps hold some forearm/elbow shield, but why does she always wear it? Even when she goes to see Luke in new clothes (her new wraps are made of the same material as her new vest). I think she might have something on her arms that has yet to be revealed. Or maybe it just looks cool.

1.5 in the AT-AT home scene, we see that she has a homemade rebel pilot doll. Right before that, the camera lingers on a small dead tree/plant with a "flower". What is that?

2. Leia knows who she is. And, I think she told Rey where she comes from. Although, Rey seems to know who Leia is through the Force when they have their "no-introduction" long embrace after Starkiller Base is destroyed. There is a reason why we see Leia and Rey talking alone right before she leaves to find Luke. And, the look on Rey's face when she meets Luke is very emotional. And, there is also a reason she goes alone down the path to Luke.

3. I agree with those who think the force vision part with the Knights of Ren is the future, not the past. Rey is seeing her future. I don't think Kylo was a leader of a group of dark side killers when he betrayed Luke. He was 10-15 years old. He opened the gates for Snoke

4. Obviously Kylo's voice changes when he is wearing the mask. But, it sounds to me like his voice changes when he isn't wearing the mask. Like he has multiple personalities that speak with a different tone and cadence.

5. "show me again, grandfather, the power of the dark side". Canon tells us there is a good Anakin force ghost. I think there may also be a bad Vader force ghost. Or Snoke has tricked Kylo into believing in a fake Vader force ghost.

6. Snoke is a mess. How can someone have that much physical damage and survive without mechanical help ( like Vader)? It looks like his skull has been cleaved open, the back bashed in, and then he was dropped in a fire.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
quote:
Its probably shaky and blurry because JJ thought it would look cool. It's not from Luke's POV because they didn't think that deeply about it.

The Force is everywhere, it surrounds us. It doesn't need a single POV. Rey is watching a Force recording of the past, present, and future of that lightsaber. Not just the holder's experience.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Or Snoke has tricked Kylo into believing in a fake Vader force ghost.
Plausible
Farmer1906
AG

quote:
1.5 in the AT-AT home scene, we see that she has a homemade rebel pilot doll. Right before that, the camera lingers on a small dead tree/plant with a "flower". What is that?
Luke & Poe's momma recover 2 trees once grew in the jedi temple on Coruscant in the comic "Shattered Empire". Maybe Rey ends up with a branch or something.
redline248
AG
I simultaneously enjoy and hate easter egg crap like that.
AliasMan02
AG
Novelization just says it's a desert flower.
Ulrich
quote:
Second viewing thoughts...

1. Why does Rey keep her arms covered at all times? Her wraps hold some forearm/elbow shield, but why does she always wear it? Even when she goes to see Luke in new clothes (her new wraps are made of the same material as her new vest). I think she might have something on her arms that has yet to be revealed. Or maybe it just looks cool.

2. Leia knows who she is. And, I think she told Rey where she comes from. Although, Rey seems to know who Leia is through the Force when they have their "no-introduction" long embrace after Starkiller Base is destroyed. There is a reason why we see Leia and Rey talking alone right before she leaves to find Luke. And, the look on Rey's face when she meets Luke is very emotional. And, there is also a reason she goes alone down the path to Luke.

3. I agree with those who think the force vision part with the Knights of Ren is the future, not the past. Rey is seeing her future. I don't think Kylo was a leader of a group of dark side killers when he betrayed Luke. He was 10-15 years old. He opened the gates for Snoke

4. Obviously Kylo's voice changes when he is wearing the mask. But, it sounds to me like his voice changes when he isn't wearing the mask. Like he has multiple personalities that speak with a different tone and cadence.

5. "show me again, grandfather, the power of the dark side". Canon tells us there is a good Anakin force ghost. I think there may also be a bad Vader force ghost. Or Snoke has tricked Kylo into believing in a fake Vader force ghost.

6. Snoke is a mess. How can someone have that much physical damage and survive without mechanical help ( like Vader)? It looks like his skull has been cleaved open, the back bashed in, and then he was dropped in a fire.
IMO, some of these are trying too hard.
1. Probably just to look cool
1.5. Probably to demonstrate just how deprived her existence is: one raggedy little flower is all the green she sees. Contrast with Maz's planet.
2. Agree
3. No opinion
4. I think they would have made it more obvious. He's unstable but not disassociative... just doesn't seem very Star Warsy to go that route.
5. Or Kylo has tricked himself. I don't think Abrams would cheapen the redemption of Darth Vader by giving him a split personality Force ghost.
6. Bacta's a hell of a drug.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
Disagree. Did you see what the steps and building were made out of? Rocks!

I think it's a headstone. It is clearly upright, we'll all other rocks are horizontal.

My 7 year old was going nuts over this ("Dad, whose grave was that? Is it Yoda's grave?")

I had no idea what he was talking about. Glad he wasn't the only one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgPediRPh
AG
Not gonna go through all 77 pages. Just saw the movie today.....

Admiral Fkin Ackbar!!!!
512Ag
AG
Having seen it twice now, I've decided Rey is probably a Kenobi. I think Kylo Ren is this trilogy's Skywalker. Three things are obvious: Luke recognizes her; Kylo Ren definitely recognizes her; Snoke knows who she is. My guess is that she and Kylo are the "top students" at Luke's academy. Snoke wants her, but he gets the weaker, less stable, more easily corrupted of the two. I think it just matches up well for her to come from Obiwan's lineage.

I'm curious about what Snoke's endgame is in this series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but post-prequel, I don't remember the Emperor openly discussing his plans with anyone but Vader, but Snoke is power playing on two fronts by giving direct orders/OKing FO plans from Hux as well as ordering Kylo Ren around. I'm more interested to see where his character is going rather than who he actually is.

Still got goosebumps during the opening crawl and when Rey fires up the lightsaber. This is just a fun, fun movie. I'll see it a million times.
caleblyn
quote:
Still got goosebumps during the opening crawl and when Rey fires up the lightsaber. This is just a fun, fun movie. I'll see it a million times.

Rey retrieving the saber from the snow is the best "goose bumpy" part of the movie. The music is amazing!

I said this earlier but during my 2nd viewing I got to see this scene 3 times due to a projector malfunction.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:
I was really hoping the old guy was going to be Wedge Antilles.

It's my understanding that they asked Denis Lawson to reprise his role as Wedge Antilles in this movie and he declined.

Just looked Lawson up, did NOT realize he is Ewan McGregor's uncle. Wedge is Obi Wan's uncle.
MW03
AG
Is this the thread for only talking about the movie? I tried the other thread, but there was a lot of stuff in there that I have no idea about.

A question from a general Star Wars noob: I thought only a practitioner of the force could use a lightsaber. If so, why was Fin able to use it? If not, why doesn't everyone have one of those bad boys?

Farmer1906
AG
I would imagine they're not easy to come by and that they're very dangerous.
mjpfeffer98
AG
I always figured that no one else used them because it's harder to cut off your own limbs or eviscerate yourself with a blaster.
redline248
AG
Anyone can use one, how well is a different question. According to lore from outside the movies, someone without training is more likely to cut off their own arm than do real damage to others. Force ability is more about anticipating and defending against the opponent and deflecting blaster shots.

I think we have to assume Finn's Stormtrooper training allowed him to be somewhat proficient with it, but even then he kind of sucked. It's possible he has some force affinity, but I bet not. Kylo would have noticed him sooner.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The only people who can make them are force users. Everyone can use them but certainly not as well as force users.

As has been mentioned ad nauseam in this thread, Finn was probably only able to keep up with Kylo due to his prior injury, plus the fact that he was mostly toying with him just like Vader did with Luke on CC.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Is this the thread for only talking about the movie? I tried the other thread, but there was a lot of stuff in there that I have no idea about.

A question from a general Star Wars noob: I thought only a practitioner of the force could use a lightsaber. If so, why was Fin able to use it? If not, why doesn't everyone have one of those bad boys?

Han Solo used it in Empire Strikes Back
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
It's possible he has some force affinity, but I bet not.
I really think Finn is force sensitive, and when the awakening happened he, of all the brainwashed stormtroopers, felt it and changed.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Anyone can use one, how well is a different question. According to lore from outside the movies, someone without training is more likely to cut off their own arm than do real damage to others. Force ability is more about anticipating and defending against the opponent and deflecting blaster shots.

I think we have to assume Finn's Stormtrooper training allowed him to be somewhat proficient with it, but even then he kind of sucked. It's possible he has some force affinity, but I bet not. Kylo would have noticed him sooner.
FN2187 trained with with melee weapons prior to using a light saber. He was a star cadet in training.
MW03
AG
I'm not going to read 77 pages, so I'll just put my thoughts over here briefly, though I'm sure they've all been covered:

(1) I really appreciate JJ Abrams and how he frames a shot and uses CGI. I genuinely enjoyed watching the Millennium Falcon fly around. It reminded me of how he did the Star Trek movie and make them look "real" within the confines of the story. For someone that wouldn't call himself a fan of either franchise (not a hater, mind you...but not really a fan, either), this was a huge plus. It helped me get into the story.

(2) I'm impressed how pervasive the Star Wars world is. I've probably seen each move in the original trilogy twice (at most). I think I saw the prequels once each. I haven't seen any of the other cartoons or anything. Still, I think I got a lot of the overt homages they did to the original movie. And it was cool to see those characters again and kind of experience how big they are to the world of cinema in a theater as an adult. I can imagine why folks 10 or 20 years older than me loved the original trilogy.

(3) Leia found a planet that had a healthy stash of Marlboro Reds.

(4) I'm assuming this movie was intentionally similar to the the first movie of the original trilogy. Was it heavy handed to anyone? I thought Abrams towed the line well making this feel more like almost an honest reboot as opposed to a true sequel.

(5) I'm in for the next installment. Best compliment I can pay them is that I went in expecting to be disappointed because I never really truly "got" Star Wars, and they won me over.
redline248
AG
According to...?

Edit: I believe it, just want to know where the info is from
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
According to...?

Edit: I believe it, just want to know where the info is from
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

Han Solo used it in Empire Strikes Back
redline248
AG
Is that from an old comic or new canon?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WTF?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.