*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,104 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kyler = Kylo?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
why? When Luke gets to Dagobah, he says it feels familiar, like something 'out of a dream'. same deal here.
I don't remember he saying anything about it feeling similar. I remember her being intensely scared of the Force vision though. Something else I'll have to watch for I guess. But also, Luke was already using the Force by the time he got to Dagobah. Using/communing with the Force and it showing him things makes some sense. I remember Anakin in TPM remarking on seeing things before they happen, or something similar. Luke also saw Han, Leia, and Chewie while he was actively using the Force as well IIRC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Han doesn't get to be one with the Force. He's not coming back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Based on the voice in the flashback sequence, I'm guessing that Lor San Tekka was the one holding Rey's arm. Except, Tekka never to got tell Rey who she is and where she came from before ending up on Jakku like Kenobi did with Luke.
Interesting. I bet you're right.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm glad they didn't kill Kylo off. I liked his character and I feel like they can do a lot with him.
Do we know for sure though? The last time we see him is laying in the snow before the planet blows up, right? Or do we see him get off?
That was my thought too, I kinda assumed he bit it.
Ag Since 83
AG
Snoke tells Hux to bring him back to whatever planet he's on. My assumption is Hux found him and the two of them got away in time
InternetFan02
AG
In 2nd viewing one thing I focused in on was Rey's journey downstairs to get the lightsaber and confront her fear. Some clear parallels to Luke in the Cave.
JonathanCrites06
AG
And the old priest in 'The Excorcist'
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
In 2nd viewing one thing I focused in on was Rey's journey downstairs to get the lightsaber and confront her fear. Some clear parallels to Luke in the Cave.
Very much so. The cave was filled with "the dark side". No reason why the Lightsaber could not also have a "force" around it and Rey has the same type of vision. Not sure why some people were bothered by that scene.

Generally speaking, I didn't feel like this movie mirrored A New Hope... I feel like it mirrored all 3 original films at different times.

And yes, Kylo and Hux definitely made it off the planet.
jr15aggie
AG
I just remembered one of the funniest parts... So Finn's job at base was "sanitation".... LOVED the part when Han was like "got any garbage chutes"... Boyega's grin was priceless... he was all, "oh yeah!".
MrPlow2010
AG
I had a force boner the whole time Rey was onscreen. They did a great job casting her. She doesn't even need to talk to convey her feelings. Leia was alright in the original trilogy but Rey is already a much stronger female presence. She will attract a ton of girls to Star Wars.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I just remembered one of the funniest parts... So Finn's job at base was "sanitation".... LOVED the part when Han was like "got any garbage chutes"... Boyega's grin was priceless... he was all, "oh yeah!".
I thought the best line in probably the entire movie went to Han, "That's not how the Force works!" Unfortunately everyone was laughing too hard in the theater and I missed was Han said to Chewie.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
I thought the best line in probably the entire movie went to Han, "That's not how the Force works!" Unfortunately everyone was laughing too hard in the theater and I missed was Han said to Chewie.
"oh really, you're cold?!"
Simplebay
AG
I thought for SURE the Stormtrooper that was killed next to Finn was his brother or best friend. Then when Poe/Finn became besties it would be revealed Poe is the one who killed him, leading to tensions.

Something for episode 8? Or too much a stretch
MrPlow2010
AG
I thought that was just Finn realizing he could die doing what he feels is wrong. Fighting and killing for the first order. He saw the dude next to him and was like "oh sh*t I could die here".
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
I thought for SURE the Stormtrooper that was killed next to Finn was his brother or best friend. Then when Poe/Finn became besties it would be revealed Poe is the one who killed him, leading to tensions.

Something for episode 8? Or too much a stretch
i was a little worried he would go all anti-guns/violence but he had no problem blasting away his buddies in close range escaping on the tie fighter.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Based on the voice in the flashback sequence, I'm guessing that Lor San Tekka was the one holding Rey's arm. Except, Tekka never to got tell Rey who she is and where she came from before ending up on Jakku like Kenobi did with Luke.
Interesting. I bet you're right.

I'm kind of hoping that there is more to him than what we were shown. He sounded like he knew t Leia from before, so I'm wondering if Lor San Tekka was his real name or just an alias, or if he was originally from Alderaan that became a refugee after ANH.

If we s don't get anything more, then I'll feel it was a criminal underused talent in the film. Kind of how I feel that Christie was underused.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I don't quite understand how you go from being in sanitation to being in Ren's personal battalion/assualt force on Jakku
jabberwalkie09
AG
I have always likened the storm troopers to the marines, everyone is a rifleman.
MrPlow2010
AG
The First Order is a good job for advancement. You can get several promotions a year I heard. Hux started in the mail room.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just purchased ticket for viewing #2. Tomorrow at 8 pm, RPX.
wangus12
AG
quote:
The First Order is a good job for advancement. You can get several promotions a year I heard.
Better than my job!
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't quite understand how you go from being in sanitation to being in Ren's personal battalion/assualt force on Jakku

What's to understand? I can think of a dozen ways that it would be plausible. That's all you need, just to be able to believe it's plausible. The details are completely unnecessary.
Jim01
AG
He wasn't in her battalion in the first assualt. Afterwards when she notices he didn't fire/something isn't right she requests that he be in her battalion so she can put him back in line.
wangus12
AG
I believe. Just thought it was interesting. Good reference to Marines above though
wangus12
AG
quote:
Just purchased ticket for viewing #2. Tomorrow at 8 pm, RPX.
This afternoon at 320.

With the girlfriend tomorrow evening
Ag Since 83
AG
I"m more curious about how the sanitation guy knew so much about how the planet/base operated than how he ended up in a Stormtrooper battalion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm surprised how much of a negative reaction Carrie's been getting. I actually was really pleasantly surprised at how much she seemed like an older Leia. I expected to just see/hear Carrie Fisher on screen, after watching so much of her comedy routines and such, but I really thought she was good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think the most interesting question is - Do JJ and Kasdan know the answers to all of our questions? Or did they leave that for the next guy to figure out?

I tend to think they did, since we know there have been meetings between JJ and Rian, but I wonder if JJ just came up with a rough backstory (a-la Lucas in the OT), or if they plotted everything out already.
redd38
AG
quote:
I"m more curious about how the sanitation guy knew so much about how the planet/base operated than how he ended up in a Stormtrooper battalion.
What exceptional knowledge did he show?
cr0wbar
AG
Some thoughts / theories

• Got emotional at the scroll. It was loud
  • Some have mentioned Boyega as the weaker cast- I thought this dude was GREAT
  • Poe is our new, light hearted, funny pilot. (RIP Indy)
  • Watching Rey put the Falcon into a freefall so Fin could blast the last TIE. That was BADASS. My favorite part of whole movie.
  • I selfishly wanted a green lightsaber to appear. Maybe next movie
  • Some will gripe about the regurgitated feeling- but I think JJ wanted to play it safe with the consumers and make us trust Star Wars again. He didn't want to risk making another crappy Star Wars!

Here are my questions:

• Who is Rey's mother?
  • What ultimately seduced Ben from Luke's training? Did Luke lose himself for a few years?
  • Snorkel is Ben's master?
  • What was the Battle of Jakku over?
  • After 30 years past RoTJ- we still only have 1 Jedi? What gives?

Here's what I think

• Rey is Luke's daughter, and Ben could sense it. (Han/Leia never knew he had a daughter)
  • Luke will train Rey ala Yoda/Luke
Ag Since 83
AG
I think that's where the Lucasfilm Story Group (or whatever they are called) come in. There is probably high level alignment across films and other media that the LSG manages, and that really the writers of a particular film have total discretion on only select items localized to their script.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is there an answer to how the hell the Falcon ended up on Jakku? Is that in any of the new comics?
wangus12
AG
quote:

• After 30 years past RoTJ- we still only have 1 Jedi? What gives?

I'm kinda hoping we will see some more that Luke trained show up. Maybe he has a legit monastery in Ireland.
Ag Since 83
AG
Well he knew what to point out when Miles from Lost asked about an oscillator. To be fair, that might be the only thing he didn't make up. I'll pay more attention to that scene around the hologram next time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.