*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

366,348 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Something a friend mentioned related to Han's death that bothered me as well.

When the Falcon got back after he'd been killed, Chewie walked right past Leia. You would think that they would share a moment there.

I mentioned it up in my summary, but I thought even weirder is that Rey and Leia hug each other, despite supposedly meeting each other for the first time. Any hidden meaning y'all think?
That worked for me, this young girl shows up after a crazy experience and Leia's maternal instinct kicked in.

Now, is it also a sign that Leia might also have sensed who she was, whoever that may be? Quite possibly.

or Leia might even know who she is.....if she is in fact Luke's daughter.

but it could also be nothing more than maternal instinct, plus knowing she was in danger and they are 2 chicks.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Enjoyed it.

Despite the fact that Kylo was hurt, I didn't quite believe how Finn was able to sword fight Kylo as long as he did. Figured a Jedi/Sith/etc. could handle a mere storm trooper with ease (i.e. in a few seconds).

(Maybe Finn does have a bit of Force within him?)
I'm pretty certain he does. Remember in the Falcon, he and Rey seemed to have a connection on when to do certain things.

also remember Kylo Ren seems to sense him on the first raid of the village when he stops to look at him and later knows his designation letters/numbers.....and he is not surprised that he was the one who stole the ship and helped Poe escape.

I really hope Finn turns out to be Mace Windu's grand kid (or something), and somewhere in Episode VIII (holding a gun at someone) says:

funny...but also interesting....i kept wondering why he was black...in my mind all storm troopers are still CLONES....but i guess that stopped at some point???? obviously. so they just started plucking unlucky orphans maybe. then you have to wonder a. did they just want this actor and it did not matter if he was black or b. did they want a black actor for diversity (i hope not) or c. did they want a black actor for some reason like he is Mace's orphan (even if it is a minor plot point) perhaps that is why he had doubts and feelings and couldn't go through with killing innocent people.

TelcoAg
AG
I'm 500 comments behind... I assume the First Order was developed completely outside of the original empire since it was destroyed in RotJ. That's why they are all brainwashed kids now
Bruce Almighty
AG
There are 12 Star Wars related threads on the first page of the entertainment board.
TelcoAg
AG
My only complaint was the Death Star rehash. Just seems like they could have come up with another mission to put everyone together at the end without going down that road again.

I assume it was just a time saver to go with a plot line everyone would know to allow time to focus on the characters more.
Swarely
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Enjoyed it.

Despite the fact that Kylo was hurt, I didn't quite believe how Finn was able to sword fight Kylo as long as he did. Figured a Jedi/Sith/etc. could handle a mere storm trooper with ease (i.e. in a few seconds).

(Maybe Finn does have a bit of Force within him?)
I'm pretty certain he does. Remember in the Falcon, he and Rey seemed to have a connection on when to do certain things.

also remember Kylo Ren seems to sense him on the first raid of the village when he stops to look at him and later knows his designation letters/numbers.....and he is not surprised that he was the one who stole the ship and helped Poe escape.

I really hope Finn turns out to be Mace Windu's grand kid (or something), and somewhere in Episode VIII (holding a gun at someone) says:

funny...but also interesting....i kept wondering why he was black...in my mind all storm troopers are still CLONES....but i guess that stopped at some point???? obviously. so they just started plucking unlucky orphans maybe. then you have to wonder a. did they just want this actor and it did not matter if he was black or b. did they want a black actor for diversity (i hope not) or c. did they want a black actor for some reason like he is Mace's orphan (even if it is a minor plot point) perhaps that is why he had doubts and feelings and couldn't go through with killing innocent people.

There was a line where Hux says something like "Maybe we should go back to using clones" or something like that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I'm 500 comments behind... I assume the First Order was developed completely outside of the original empire since it was destroyed in RotJ. That's why they are all brainwashed kids now

yeah makes sense but then why make them "Storm Troopers" again....make them something else. Finn literally says i was a "storm trooper" at some point even though he previously was saying he was in the first order. maybe make them look a little different even.

not a big complaint certainly. familiarity for the viewer i suppose.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

yeah makes sense but then why make them "Storm Troopers" again....make them something else. Finn literally says i was a "storm trooper" at some point even though he previously was saying he was in the first order. maybe make them look a little different even.

If you heard a badass name like storm troopers, who wouldn't want to re use it? I would want our army to call themselves storm troopers, if it didn't already have Nazi connotations.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you heard a badass name like storm troopers, who wouldn't want to re use it? I would want our army to call themselves storm troopers, if it didn't already have Nazi connotations.

lol.....really? cuz it's not like the storm troopers have some great reputation, they've proven to be pretty dumb and easily defeated (by ewoks) or coerced by anyone using the force. seems like they were just a mass army of targets primarily. horrible aim too as our heroes never get hit even when being fired at by multiple storm troopers.

i'd distance from that name if i was building an army.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Google is your friend, it can give you all the details... But in short the Empires war machine wasn't destroyed, but they were beaten and retreated. They moved to the outer rim while the rebels formed a new Republic. The new Republic basically disbanded the military, but the movie hinted that they secretly funded the resistance which was really the only military force capable of fighting when the former empirial forces came back as the new order.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Princess Leia had a few to many cigarettes and martinis over the past couple decades.

TelcoAg
AG
That explains pieces, but the other note I see is that the rapid aging process on the clones subjected them to rapid physical degeneration both during and after the Battle of Endor, and that's why the storm trooper ranks started to be filled with non-clone units.

I knew about the move to the outer rim, but haven't seen anything concrete about how Snoke gets involved with that rebuild. I assume that he is big time in the outer rim which is why he didn't come up in canon previously, and thus provided shelter and rearmament in return for control of the armed forces being built.
Batzarro
AG
quote:
Princess Leia had a few to many cigarettes and martinis over the past couple decades.

Yep, got that hoarse voice as a general versus the smooth princess voice.
jr15aggie
AG
Right... Snoke has not been revealed yet. The movie was the first time we even knew what he looked like. I'd be surprised if we find out more about him prior to EP VIII... I don't think books will even touch his story until the movie has a chance to reveal him.
tremble
AG
My understanding, from reading and watching the Marathon is that Mon Mothma likely decommissioned the majority of the remaining military forces under the Alliance when the New Republic was formed.

If you recall, the whole reason that Sifo-Dyas (a former Jedi Council member) made the request for the clone army in AoTC is because the Republic didn't really have a standing military at the time. He figured something big was coming and wanted an army but got kicked off the Council for making such a stink about it. The Sith found out and then killed him and used the army to set up Order 66 and the coup against the Republic.

So, in that light, it makes sense that large number of those old Rebellion fighters ended up transitioning to the Resistance with a tacit understanding that the New Republic was providing financial support.

As far as TFO is concerned, my belief is that the vast majority of the Imperial senior command got blown up in the 2nd Death Star when the Emperor was present on the station. That and the subsequent battles with the Rebellion/Resistance likely means that the new kids are the best and brightest of the new lot of officers.

What's interesting is that I find the First Order is a little more frightening than the old Imperial bureaucracy. The new guys are absolutely fanatical. The old Empire wasn't against blowing up planets or being total *******s but there was always a direction present to bring "order" to the galaxy. I get the feeling that there's a lot more brain washing involved with the First Order whereas the Imperial officers in the original trilogy always seemed to hold an undercurrent of fear/loathing toward Vader and the Emperor. The First Order just seems entirely fanatical, almost in a religious cult sense with Snoke. I think the repeated anger at Finn's treachery, when he's really just a foot-level grunt, speaks to that. The fact that they blew up 5 planets to send a message in anger really highlights their nutso status,
TelcoAg
AG
I've seen speculation that Snoke is Darth Plagueis, which would add up in the chain from Palpatine. The name was dropped in RotS, but the back story of him being a Muun was dropped from canon.

But, Snoke certainly looked like a Muun:

Snoke

TelcoAg
AG
quote:
What's interesting is that I find the First Order is a little more frightening than the old Imperial bureaucracy. The new guys are absolutely fanatical. The old Empire wasn't against blowing up planets or being total *******s but there was always a direction present to bring "order" to the galaxy. I get the feeling that there's a lot more brain washing involved with the First Order whereas the Imperial officers in the original trilogy always seemed to hold an undercurrent of fear/loathing toward Vader and the Emperor. The First Order just seems entirely fanatical, almost in a religious cult sense with Snoke. I think the repeated anger at Finn's treachery, when he's really just a foot-level grunt, speaks to that. The fact that they blew up 5 planets to send a message in anger really highlights their nutso status,

Seems very Nazi Germany, down to the General Hux speech in front of the First Reich
twilly
AG
Was it just me or had it looked like the stormtroopers had been practicing on their aim over the last 30 years?
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Something a friend mentioned related to Han's death that bothered me as well.

When the Falcon got back after he'd been killed, Chewie walked right past Leia. You would think that they would share a moment there.

I mentioned it up in my summary, but I thought even weirder is that Rey and Leia hug each other, despite supposedly meeting each other for the first time. Any hidden meaning y'all think?
That worked for me, this young girl shows up after a crazy experience and Leia's maternal instinct kicked in.

Now, is it also a sign that Leia might also have sensed who she was, whoever that may be? Quite possibly.

or Leia might even know who she is.....if she is in fact Luke's daughter.

but it could also be nothing more than maternal instinct, plus knowing she was in danger and they are 2 chicks.

My take is Leia knows who she is (not her daughter or neice as Han never reacted to her when they met).
The wild card here is during Rey's force dream she remembers being left on the desert planet as a little girl...who left her there?!
Saxsoon
AG
I give it two bb8 thumbs up
Cromagnum
AG
Im looking foward to Rogue One to bridge the gap to episode VIII
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
you're going to be disappointed then. Rogue One is set between 3 and 4. it's about stealing the death star plans
The Debt
Anyone get a Kaylee vibe when she was fixing the falcon and said I'm pointing right at it"
Stupe
S

quote:

I'm about to be "that guy", but the term "Storm Trooper" actually originated during WW I.
MandoArms
quote:
Anyone get a Kaylee vibe when she was fixing the falcon and said I'm pointing right at it"

That was a great scene!

Imagine Wheedon directed Star Wars....
AggieSouth06
quote:
quote:
you're going to be disappointed then. Rogue One is set between 3 and 4. it's about stealing the death star plans

I think he means the emotional gap, not chronological.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Character death guaranteed.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

quote:

I'm about to be "that guy", but the term "Storm Trooper" actually originated during WW I.

Haha my bad. I always confuse the elements between those two regimes.
Say Chowdah
AG
AMAZING!!!!!! The force is strong with JJ Abrams!!!!!
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

That was a great scene!

If his relationship with Disney hasn't been too soured, I would expect this to happen. Lucasfilm's strategy is clearly to position Star Wars as the premiere film making gig in the world, but still make it accessible to a wide variety of talent.
Definitely Not A Cop
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You have to imagine that George is pissed off. With some people saying it is better than 4 and even 5 of his films, I wonder how he is dealing with the realization that he nearly killed a franchise with so much potential and longevity.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The dude made a billion dollars off this. He ain't pissed.
EMY92
AG
quote:

She reminded me of Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's.
jabberwalkie09
AG
For anyone that is curious, I believe that the track "March of the Resistance" is played in the movie when Poe and the X-Wing sqaudrons arrive and end up rescuing Finn, Chewie, and Han from the First Order's attack.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.