*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,507 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Poe took his jacket off or didn't is the new "Greedo shot first". lol
YouBet
AG
Great movie although it still doesn't approach ANH or ESB simply because those were groundbreaking movies. Was disappointed in same things others have said:

- plot almost wholly recycled from ANH and thus completely predictable
- final scene was terrible and one of the most anti-climatic moments ive ever seen in cinema. That spin around view was totally out of place from the rest of the film.

Also, I think my own home theater experience has spoiled me. I was in a theater with Dolby Atmos of all things and it was like the sound wasn't even on. Almost all sound from the front with very little surround. Usually I'm slightly complaining because the voice track is hard to hear but that's pretty much all I experienced in this film was talking. In that regard, it felt like I really was watching ANH all over again back at the drive-in theater in 1977.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If you remember clone armies are extremely expensive and the First Order is now pushed back to the outer rim. They won't have the funds to purchase a full clone army. Anyway, didn't have a problem with Fin's character.

Loved the cinematography, back to true form.

As for C3PO's arm, who knows, it's been 30 years and he's been around a long time. Parts fail, put new parts on. Unanswered questions like that don't bother me much, they will be explained and I don't need everything spoon fed.

Loved the Black X-Wing and it doesn't bother me that we don't know how he got off the Jakkar planet after crashing the Tie Fighter. What does bug me is, IRRC, Tie fighters weren't pressurized, which is why the pilots wore space suits. Which they are shown to be wearing during combat and walking through the hanger. The fact they're 2 seaters doesn't bug me since it's 30years later and they do look different, they can be a new model. But, they aren't pressurized, small plot hole. And I didn't think they could fly through atmosphere since they have no lift/control surfaces, but that doesn't bug me as much as the pressurized suits not being needed.

I do need to see this a 2nd time.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Oh yeah, Rey's connection...I think she's Luke's daughter. Not a Kenobi. Why? The force has always been stronger in the Skywalker line, and also more unstable. There might have been a clue when she has a flashback to being abandoned and when Luke and R2 are together.

If she's picking up the force training that quickly it'd have to come from someone with a serious strong history.

And her combat with Kylo, he's all busted up and her fighting was pretty weak, simple straight thrusts and some wild slashing until the end. And I think Kylo was skurred of her, her force powers are greater than his.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On my second viewing in RPX 3D (as opposed to IMAX), I noticed the 3D popped a lot more. Don't know if that was just my case since I had a better seat, but it looked fantastic. I specifically remember the Star Destroyer looking amazing, not only like it's coming out of the screen but in amazing detail. There were audible gasps in the theater.
Joan Wilder
AG
Light saber question (sorry if already asked/answered) : Obi-Wan gives Luke the blue light saber that had been Anakin's. Luke battles Vader in ESB and it is dropped off the bridge in Cloud City when Luke's arm is chopped off. Luke then builds a new, green light saber in RoTJ.

How did Maz get the Blue light saber?

I guess there was scavenging for Jedi memorabilia (vader's mask, light sabers)?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hasn't been adressed. When asked, Maz says "a great question for another time".
TelcoAg
AG
If Rey is related to Kenobi then it has to be grandfather, or else they cast pretty poorly for what would have to be someone in their 40's
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
while there were certainly many similarities with the plot of the original i have to disagree with those who just thought it was retreaded material.....for several reasons

1. It was intentional, obviously, to make us both in familiar territory and then to throw curveballs. And I thought it was well done....there were a few times I was thinking "are they really gonna just do that again"...and then they would change it.

2. i think it is setup for the following sequels and will then go in different directions

3. it allows for another generation to enjoy it and understand the entire context of the SW universe and the big overarching story line which is still there - it wasn't solved in ROTJ.....it was always meant to be a 9 story arc. so we aren't done yet.

4. it's much like history...both counties and armies as well as on a personal level people and families seem destined to repeat the same mistakes and have people who emulate roles of people who have come before them...the words "timeless" and "classic" come to mind.

5. or seen another way it is passing it along to another generation - literally in the SW universe, and to the fans as well.

having said that if episode VIII has:

• opening battle on an ice planet
  • rey going out into the storm to save fin or vice versa
  • giant walking tanks
  • eels inside asteroid caves
  • a cute little old ninja jedi animal thing on a swamp planet who is dying and trains rey
  • a cloud city where fin is betrayed and bb8 gets dismantled
  • rey loses her hand and it is revealed that someone out of the blue is her father (snoke)

etc. etc...then yeah i'm gonna be pretty disappointed. but i think this set up a lot of stuff and although it is familiar it can now go in a very different direction.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Great movie although it still doesn't approach ANH or ESB simply because those were groundbreaking movies. Was disappointed in same things others have said:

- final scene was terrible and one of the most anti-climatic moments ive ever seen in cinema. That spin around view was totally out of place from the rest of the film.

Also, I think my own home theater experience has spoiled me. I was in a theater with Dolby Atmos of all things and it was like the sound wasn't even on. Almost all sound from the front with very little surround. Usually I'm slightly complaining because the voice track is hard to hear but that's pretty much all I experienced in this film was talking. In that regard, it felt like I really was watching ANH all over again back at the drive-in theater in 1977.

I thought the final scene was amazing and one of the best parts of the movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
If you remember clone armies are extremely expensive and the First Order is now pushed back to the outer rim. They won't have the funds to purchase a full clone army. Anyway, didn't have a problem with Fin's character.

Loved the cinematography, back to true form.

As for C3PO's arm, who knows, it's been 30 years and he's been around a long time. Parts fail, put new parts on. Unanswered questions like that don't bother me much, they will be explained and I don't need everything spoon fed.

Loved the Black X-Wing and it doesn't bother me that we don't know how he got off the Jakkar planet after crashing the Tie Fighter. What does bug me is, IRRC, Tie fighters weren't pressurized, which is why the pilots wore space suits. Which they are shown to be wearing during combat and walking through the hanger. The fact they're 2 seaters doesn't bug me since it's 30years later and they do look different, they can be a new model. But, they aren't pressurized, small plot hole. And I didn't think they could fly through atmosphere since they have no lift/control surfaces, but that doesn't bug me as much as the pressurized suits not being needed.

I do need to see this a 2nd time.

not to really nit pick but....in 30 years you think they can make it a 2 seater and make all new models, weapons, displays, controls, etc... .....but not pressurize them?
Flashdiaz
AG
Maybe they are pressurized. All storm troopers wear helmets and stuff regardless of environment, he'll, they can't even take their helmet off on their own star destroyer when they're walking around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't have the emotional attachment to the original trilogy as some do, and for that reason, this might be my favorite of the entire series. Aside from the hidden object in the Droid, mentor sacrificing himself, and death star run, I didn't see as many parallels to ANH. Loved every second. Can't wait to see it again.
G Martin 87
AG
Another minor nitpick -- strikes me as very odd that the FIrst Order would concentrate AA guns in the "trench" but not anywhere else on the exterior surface of the "oscillator". The Death Stars were bristling with AA batteries all over their surfaces, at 3 different tower heights.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
while there were certainly many similarities with the plot of the original i have to disagree with those who just thought it was retreaded material.....for several reasons

1. It was intentional, obviously, to make us both in familiar territory and then to throw curveballs. And I thought it was well done....there were a few times I was thinking "are they really gonna just do that again"...and then they would change it.

2. i think it is setup for the following sequels and will then go in different directions

3. it allows for another generation to enjoy it and understand the entire context of the SW universe and the big overarching story line which is still there - it wasn't solved in ROTJ.....it was always meant to be a 9 story arc. so we aren't done yet.

4. it's much like history...both counties and armies as well as on a personal level people and families seem destined to repeat the same mistakes and have people who emulate roles of people who have come before them...the words "timeless" and "classic" come to mind.

5. or seen another way it is passing it along to another generation - literally in the SW universe, and to the fans as well.

having said that if episode VIII has:

• opening battle on an ice planet
  • rey going out into the storm to save fin or vice versa
  • giant walking tanks
  • eels inside asteroid caves
  • a cute little old ninja jedi animal thing on a swamp planet who is dying and trains rey
  • a cloud city where fin is betrayed and bb8 gets dismantled
  • rey loses her hand and it is revealed that someone out of the blue is her father (snoke)

etc. etc...then yeah i'm gonna be pretty disappointed. but i think this set up a lot of stuff and although it is familiar it can now go in a very different direction.

****. If episode VIII has ANY of that in it I will be dissapointed.
MandoArms
I think Kylo recognized Rey, when she escaped on the Starkiller he has a brief conversation with a Stormtrooper and says something about the longer she is free and awake the more powerful she will become....I wonder what he knows. It is almost like he is in denial of who she is.
YouBet
AG
quote:
quote:

To me it just should have been much shorter. At most, she should have walked up, he turns, and she holds out saber....and it ends. The staring back and forth and then the spin away was stupid as hell.

Don't get me wrong though. Loved this movie!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Additional thoughts:
-I was extremely happy I avoided all news and rumors about the movie since June. Going in blind (except for the theatrical trailers) made it great! I had no idea Rey would end up being the force user, or how large or small a role anyone would play in the movie. I need to do a better job avoiding news about other movies in the future.
-The fleet we saw in RotJ was the entire rebel fleet concentrated in one place. I bet the star eater thing destroyed the rebellion's fleet in that system, but the galaxy is a big place. There are probably other rebel and other empire fleets scattered about that will come to play in episodes 8 and 9. (Also, in one of the new-canon novels, one of the republic's first decisions is to dismiss most of the old armada. If they haven't rebuilt it in 30 years, that would also explain why the resistance had such a small force available)
-Why does everyone think Rey is Luke's daughter? Why would Luke abandon his kid (basically in exile), then go in exile himself somewhere else? Is he really the sort of character who would have a daughter then abandon her and her mother? I bet her parents were just two folks who realized their daughter had the force and the empire would take her if it could, so they ditched her on the planet and fled so she'd never be found by the first order. (The Star Wars rebels tv show recently showed the empire was hunting force-sensitive babies to raise as inquisitors during its reign.) I also doubt she's Ren's brother sister because, again, why would they abandon her, and also they would have mentioned having a daughter. When Maz told her "the ones you're waiting for aren't coming back," she was also telling the audience we won't be seeing who Rey's parents are. They aren't coming back into the story.
-I think the blue sea with the island Ren saw in Rey's mind was a glimpse of her own previous force premonition dream. It was too much of a coincidence to be anything else. The clever writers introduced it in such a way that you first assumed it was her longing for a non-desert planet.
-Kylo killed Han. I don't want him to be redeemed, and I don't think he'll be saved. The skywalker line will end with him. That's how you put a cap on this next trilogy.
-in one of the new-canon books, a group of shadowy robed people purchase what they think is Darth Vader's former lightsaber on a random world somewhere. There's graffiti in the room that says "Vader lives." This is immediately after Ep. 6. It might offer a hint of the origins of the Knights of Ren. (The book never says who the people are.)
-we know Ren ruined Luke's Jedi academy, but we don't know anything about how powerful that makes him. For all we know, he poisoned his fellow students or sabotaged the academy by rigging it with explosives while Luke was away. That doesn't require any force talent at all. Given Rey had shown herself to be a skilled melee fighter, Ren had already been shot in the side and partially exhausted by his fight with Finn, it's not unrealistic at all for Rey to beat him (especially when she closes her eyes and let's the force guide her, as Obi Wan always instructed Luke to do). Snoke probably kept Ren weak and untrained as long as possible on purpose to make sure Ren couldn't turn on him, but now that there are other Jedi around, it's time to make Ren stronger.
-I think some of the flashbacks folks are expecting in Ep VIII will be explained in the one-off movies instead. (Like how Maz got Luke's lightsaber, or Max Von Sydow's background). Though honestly I'm fine if not everything is explained. Sometimes it's more fun to wonder than to learn the midoclorians made it happen. Also, you don't need Jedi parents to have the force. Three generations of skywalker Jedi blurs that, but it's made clear in the Star Wars Rebels tv show. Being born a Jedi is comparable to being born a wizard in the Harry Potter world. You can still be a Jedi if you have muggle parents.
mazag08
AG
My thoughts..

Why was Rey able to so quickly pick up the force and defeat Kylo?

Kylo was injured and overcome with fear and hate. Rey fully tapped into her feelings for the first time and let herself go. She is no doubt a Skywalker.

What I like is what this sets up. Rey will be trained by Luke and Kylo very obviously by an angry and disappointed Snoke.. who seemed to foreshadow that Kylo wasn't ready (even you have not faced such a test).

I think this sets up Kylo to return as a much more polished and complete sith lord. He will still be unbalanced, but his fear, hate, and anger will be his weapon.

Who will be more powerful, Kylo or Rey?

Lastly, it seems obvious to me that Snoke is Plageus. Maybe I'm wrong, but the physical attributes are hard to ignore, and they match nearly perfectly. Not to mention that this movie already pulled a ton of content from the non canon EU. I think Plageus did save himself from dying, kept low for a while, gained strength and notoreity in the outer rim as Snoke, and used an imoressionable Kylo as his trigger to bring down the Jedi academy. Unfortunately, Luke and his daughtet survived, and the mission has since been to find and kill them. I also think his physical form needed an energy source of some kind to come back at full strength (Luke and Rey being the only force users left), and Kylo capturing Rey was about doing this.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My thinking is that Rey is Luke's daughter and was trained. Then for what ever reason, had her memories erased. Coming in contact with the light saber brought those memories back. I also think that Kylo is powerful but arrogant and still learning. That and being injured made him vulnerable. I'm sure more will be revealed in the next movie.
oragator
By the way, I was truly disappointed that it was essentially a glorified remake and 90 percent unoriginal, but one homage I thought was cool-
Anyone else notice that when they were trying to rescue Rey from the D.SC., in the background from the stormtroopers you heard the same quote "they might have split up" from Ep 4? They also gave the one named stormtrooper the same TK designation that Han tried to pass himself off as in 4, just with a different number behind it.
Batzarro
AG
quote:
One of my biggest complaints comes at the end of the movie: there's no way Chewie just walks past Leia upon returning after Han dies. No way. That was a mistake.

A few other quibbles with it, but definitely exceeded my expectations.

Chewie is just thug life, always has been. I'm more bothered by the fact that Han Solo's son doesn't look like him, doesn't have any personality traits of him or the mother, and murdered him in cold blood just because "darkside"? You gotta show more motive than that for it to be believable to the audience.
aarjon
Lando is suppose to be in VIII, so we'll go back to Cloud City
birdman
Maybe Chewie blames Leia for turning Kylo into a bad guy. Which caused his best friend to get killed. Maybe Leia had an affair which broke them up. Child from that marriage is Rey.

Or Chewie was in shock or going to get medical attention.

Or my theory. Rey hugging Leia just made for a good Hollywood moment. Probably should have had Chewie grabbed by medics immediately which would clear it all up.

You just saw the first the first one-third of an 8 hour movie. You shouldn't have everything answered with a neat bow on top in first 2 hours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He killed Han because he was pulling him back towards the light and "tearing him apart".
TexAgs91
AG
Seriously guys... if you're going to make a moon/planet sized weapon PROTECT IT! LOL

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times?! I must like having my sheet blown up.
MandoArms
quote:
Maybe Chewie blames Leia for turning Kylo into a bad guy. Which caused his best friend to get killed. Maybe Leia had an affair which broke them up. Child from that marriage is Rey.

Or Chewie was in shock or going to get medical attention.

Or my theory. Rey hugging Leia just made for a good Hollywood moment. Probably should have had Chewie grabbed by medics immediately which would clear it all up.

You just saw the first the first one-third of an 8 hour movie. You shouldn't have everything answered with a neat bow on top in first 2 hours.

I thought Chewie was carrying Finn.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah! Love this.

AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Hah! Love this.

Friends and I were arguing.

Is BB8 giving Finn a thumbs up in reply to Fun ? Or the finger for making him help lie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely a gig 'em.
YouBet
AG
It was a thumbs up imo based on his other body language.
twilly
AG
Speaking about old themes...

If Finn and Rey turn out to be brother and sister, I think my head might explode.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Speaking about old themes...

If Finn and Rey turn out to be brother and sister, I think my head might explode.

That would be the WORST plot twist ever.
Jack Thauer
AG
Didn't work out so well for Fant4stic

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.