*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,887 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
So Leia knows who she is but Han doesn't recognize her? I think this would be the worst route for the movie to take.

Luke's daughter makes so much more sense, with him being the last jedi and needing to reproduce. Also, after listening to the soundtrack, when Rey has some big parts, the music cuts to Luke's theme subtlety . This happens multiple times.

I think she's Luke's and Leia hid her away per Luke so Ren didn't discover her. I don't think Han knows Luke has a daughter.

She doesnt know her per say but there is that deeper force connection. How would Leia know if her husband died many star systems away? Oh yea! The force.

On second viewing the big flag i noticed hanging above Maz's front door was Boba Fett's (Mandalorian skull) symbol! This guy:
Donald Glover
AG
In this theoretical Kenobi movie, you'd have to somehow show obi-wan/kiera's kid having rey and then hiding her right
Duncan Idaho
Nm misread the post
Donald Glover
AG
Wait wouldn't it be obi-wan/kiera's kid who has rey? Their kid wouldnt have rey's mom, that would make obi-wan rey's great grandpa
jabberwalkie09
AG
No.
Donald Glover
AG
Yes
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Yes
No. Kenobi, Kenobi's daughter, then Kenobi's grand daughter. Not great grand daughter.
Donald Glover
AG
Ya i understand that, i was correcting the guy who corrected me
jabberwalkie09
AG
Reading comprehension fail on my part........... read too fast.
Donald Glover
AG
Haha you're good, it was a confusing sequence
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
ok for my outlandish add to all this.
Kenobi and Sabe have the kid within 2 years or so of when luke and leia are born so then are still close in age. But it is a boy instead of a girl. this Kenobi son ends up with Leia after her and Han split up when Ben/Kylo goes bad and have Rey. Thus explaining why Leia knows her and Han doesn't.
But at this point the outlandish twist to Episode VIII would be that Rey ISN'T lukes.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Obi-Wan is one of the few characters from the OT who made it out of the PT without me hating him. Please don't make my all-time favorite character have a "secret" granddaughter.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Obi-Wan is one of the few characters from the OT who made it out of the PT without me hating him. Please don't make my all-time favorite character have a "secret" granddaughter.

Jedis need loving to.
Donald Glover
AG
Well the thing about the jedi order I never understood was if jedi weren't allowed to have children, then what kept jedis from dying out?
TelcoAg
AG
I say Luke finally figured out how to control Midichlorians and used them to Virgin Mary someone. We come full circle
MattTheBrave
AG
What if Rey is Leia's daughter, but Han isn't the father?

That would explain why Han didn't recognize her and why she and Leia seemed to have a connection.
TelcoAg
AG
I wouldn't get the scene with Maz telling her that there's one person left for her, and it's Luke. Nor would I buy that Leia would give up her kid for anything, considering she sent Han to his death to try and get a corrupt son back.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Haha you're good, it was a confusing sequence

It confused me.

redline248
AG
You guys are nuts. Rey isn't a Kenobi. You're writing some story to make her a Kenobi, then when the next movie happens and she's Luke's daughter you're all going to be pissed. Have fun though!
redline248
AG
quote:
Well the thing about the jedi order I never understood was if jedi weren't allowed to have children, then what kept jedis from dying out?

They steal force sensitive babies from their homes.
YouBet
AG
Rey is the daughter of Luke and Leia. That is why he banished himself and was so obviously upset and disgusted at the end of the film when his incest daughter showed up. It was simply shame. It's also why Han and Leia broke up because Han found out at some point. Leia sent Han to Kylo Ren and his death because she knew Ren would kill Han and remove him from the picture, and thus freeing her up to reunite with Luke and their pure blood, Force kid. This also explins why Rey is so powerful...she is the daughter of two Skywalkers. Chewy did not hug Leia when he got back because he realized she was the reason Han was dead and had ulterior motives.

Rey will find out in 8 from Luke: "No, I am your father...and my sister is your mother." Rey becomes distraught and joins her half-brother Ren on the dark side. Luke has foreseen all of this which is the other reason he has lived in solitude. He can't escape his fate however and now he will be forced to kill his own daughter and the murderer of his best friend who he also betrayed in the ultimate way possible.

Shakespearean tragedy at its best. I can't wait!!!
wangus12
AG
quote:

I agree, although I wouldn't mind it . Obi-Wan is my favorite character as well and I'd be almost more hyped for his film then I was for TFA.

As for Leia hugging Rey, seems pretty normal for someone to do. This girl just watch Leia's husband die and then went toe to toe with her son. Now she is being sent out with former husbands walking carpet to an uncharted part of the galaxy to bring back my lost Jedi brother. Shr is basically family at this point. And I'm pretty sure she'll be Luke's daughter anyways
jabberwalkie09
AG
PooDoo
AG
quote:
You guys are nuts. Rey isn't a Kenobi. You're writing some story to make her a Kenobi, then when the next movie happens and she's Luke's daughter you're all going to be pissed. Have fun though!

No joke, y'all think Kenobi's ghost is banging chicks?
Philip J Fry
AG
Saw it again today and enjoyed it much more.

That being said, i realized episodes 4, and 7 have a major flaw in them. Why not just fly a ship faster than light through the Death Star/Star Killer? You wouldn't even need to bother with the bombing runs.
Ornithopter
AG
quote:
Saw it again today and enjoyed it much more.

That being said, i realized episodes 4, and 7 have a major flaw in them. Why not just fly a ship faster than light through the Death Star/Star Killer? You wouldn't even need to bother with the bombing runs.

Its the equivalent of the interplanetary transporter in JJ Abrams Star Trek. JJ got lazy and made something too powerful for the sake of convinient storytelling. It's also up their with his abolition of travel time for starships.
Satellite of Love
quote:
In this theoretical Kenobi movie, you'd have to somehow show obi-wan/kiera's kid having rey and then hiding her right

Again that would be impossible. Luke met obi-wan when he was a teenager and then died not too long after that. Rey would essentially have to grow up knowing about the rebels, empire, force etc. TFA happens about 30 some odd years after Jedi. She would be old as sheeet in the new movie.
JJxvi
AG
It would annoy me even more that the desert planet is not tatooine if they made her a kenobi.
Philip J Fry
AG
That wasn't really JJ's fault though. Han specifically told Luke in episode 4 that they needed time to calculate their trajectory because they could end up flying through a star or a black hole and that it would end their day real quick. With that much mass, I'd assume it would do a heck of a lot of damage to whatever it hits.
Knife_Party
There'd be an awful lot of kinetic energy from an object moving that fast. Iirc there was a book in the old EU that had hyperspace missles as a destructive weapon.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I think everyone is trying too hard on this one. Rey is Luke's daughter. The only twist to me is whether Luke knows. It may be that Han and Lea know but Luke doesn't. But even this is probably trying too hard.

The thing is, the archetypes and story arcs of the original trilogy are classic and repeatable. That is why this movie was able to mirror ANH so well and still be enjoyable. But everyone is trying to figure out what the new "I am your father" moment will be. I don'the think there will be one, because I don't think that moment can be repeated. There is a reason even non-SW fans quote that line - it is classic.

While the story line will be impacted by reveals of bloodlines and relation, Rey as Luke's daughter is the simplest answer and makes the most sense. I think some are doubting it because it won't carry the surprise value of Vader. No, it won't, and it doesn't need to. The only mistake would be trying to play it up like the Vader reveal. That one is classic and any attempt to repeat it will flop badly.
redd38
AG
I bet once Luke was the last Jedi he was slaying all sorts of a**. Do you know how well the, "Do you have any Jedi in you? Would you like some?" line works on the ladies? I bet he has kids all over the galaxy.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
And to play off my last post, I actually contend that in many ways, the era of the shocker reveal moments has passed. With today's message board speculation on anything that has a fan following. every permutation of everything is discussed and speculated upon. Look at the question on Jon Snow'storm parentage with Game of Thrones. Martin built it up well, but fans have had too many years to figure out the plot twists before he can introduce them. The only thing he can do now for suspense is kill off characters.

I think that is the main suspense vehicle for action-dramas now - not M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dong plot twists, but the simple question of whether all the beloved characters will survive, or will someone bite the big one? It used to be that one could always count on main heroes surviving, but in today'so "grittier" storytelling, the new game is that no one is safe anymore.
zgood10
AG
Going to iPic for some Christmas Force today
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:

Again that would be impossible. Luke met obi-wan when he was a teenager and then died not too long after that. Rey would essentially have to grow up knowing about the rebels, empire, force etc. TFA happens about 30 some odd years after Jedi. She would be old as sheeet in the new movie.

No she wouldn't have to be that old. Everyone is saying she would be Kenobi's grand-daughter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.