*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,694 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He also got whipped by a common storm trooper. Like I said, I don't really care, but probably the last cool thing he did was on the tie fighter early on. I may be forgetting something.

Maybe he'll get some training in the next one or something
aarjon
Finn is running because he wants nothing to do with the first order anymore, it seems his plan was to go away and start all over somewhere undetected. It's not until he sees Rey being taken by Kylo that he has something to stay and fight for.
Ragoo
AG
Oh, you're cold?!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Perfectly said!
jabberwalkie09
AG
Here's io9's list of what TFA borrowed from the EU.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-the-force-awakens-borrowed-from-the-old-star-wars-1749328107
jabberwalkie09
AG
And the explanation for why the Maz handing the Bespin saber to Leia wasn't in the film.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-explains-why-that-lightsaber-shot-from-the-1749335664
The Collective
AG
When you look for movies to fulfill your social engineering fantasies instead of just enjoying the movie, you moved way past loon. I liked that I watched the whole movie and didn't give much thought to the characters' gender or race. Perhaps I am more advanced than the author and those like her.
jeffk
AG
quote:
When you look for movies to fulfill your social engineering fantasies instead of just enjoying the movie, you moved way past loon. I liked that I watched the whole movie and didn't give much thought to the characters' gender or race. Perhaps I am more advanced than the author and those like her.

Pretty much my exact thoughts - must be miserable to have to carry around all that baggage every time you watch anything on tv or at the movies. I mean really - the Ewoks were a sad commentary on the plight of indigenous peoples?!?!
The Collective
AG
Seriously, was that article satire?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I suppose Finn may have suffered a bit of usefulness at the expense of making Rey a strong character. Whether or not you care is up to you. I personally don't, but now that I think of it... I guess Finn was being outclassed at nearly every turn. "Let me save you from this octopus" "I can escape from this Death Star on my own" "lay there and give me that lightsaber"
Finn was also running away at every turn until he ran back to make sure Rey was safe at Maz's taking the lightsaber from her to fight and then also turned to face Kylo on the surface of Starkiller Base. Him facing Kylo was a HUGE change in his character in contrast to his actions in the rest of the film. He gets his ass kicked by Kylo because Kylo is clearly superior in fighting with a lightsaber and also is a force user.
Yeah, I don't know how you can say that a character who left what he's known since birth, has a way out of a volatile situation but goes back to help someone he barely knows, then goes on a rescue mission to attempt to save the world before almost getting killed fighting a much more powerful warrior isn't a hero.

InnerCityAg
quote:
So, in an attempt to grasp at every bit of Star Wars available, I've started reading the junior novels.

LOL. I used to do that with the EU crap that no longer exists.
rhutton125
AG
Man you guys are quick to pounce. All I'm saying is that - and I may be forgetting something - any "cool" moments Finn could get post-TIE Fighter resulted in him getting knocked over or outclassed, usually by Rey.

That's IF you want to nitpick, which I really don't. I liked Finn's character, he just didn't have a lot of cool moments aside from essentially throwing himself at Kylo. It was a heroic moment, yes - I'm not missing a theme or something. But Rey was the one that got to pilot the Falcon through an action scene, chop off some squid arms to save Finn, escape from the Starkiller by herself, defeat a dark Jedi the first time she uses a lightsaber, etc. She's the main character, I guess Finn is the sidekick.

But again, I don't really give a ****. I'm not making a social commentary. The article was pretty dumb.
Donald Glover
AG
I wouldn't be surprised to see Finn do some super heroic act in VIII or IX considering he's a main character and all the main characters of Star Wars are heroes
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I agree that the death of Han seemed off..

I think it would have been better if Leia went with them on the mission.. and she had a small duel with Ren.. and similar to Empire Strike Back.. then when Ren is about to kill his mother.. he stops. .. Han tries to talk reason to him.. he seems to be listening then.. Wham..stabs Han.. before he can strike Leia.. Chewie shots him and .. they flee..
Carrie Fischer ain't dueling anybody
Flashdiaz
AG
I wonder what the extent of Finns injuries are. He was sliced in the back and he never moved or regained consciousness after that... Must be significant
MandoArms
Saw it for my second time last night, this time in IMAX 3d....best movie experience ever...a must see in IMAX.
jeffk
AG
quote:
I wonder what the extent of Finns injuries are. He was sliced in the back and he never moved or regained consciousness after that... Must be significant

Probably just lost a hand... No big deal.
law80
AG
Just throwing this in here cause this is the most active thread.

I want to watch the movies with my kids, who are just now getting to the age of knowing what is going on in the movies. What order would you watch them in. I have seen online that people think IV, V, II, III, VI and leave out I.

What would everyone else suggest?
Ag Since 83
AG
IV, V, VI, VII
TelcoAg
AG
I only showed my kids 4/5/6 up to now. I'll let them see bad Star Wars when they get older, like I did.
TCTTS
AG
THEORY:

Abrams and Kasdan wrote The Force Awakens with no definitive answer as to who Rey's parents are, but did so in a such a way as to give Episode VIII writer/director Rian Johnson essentially three options to choose from. In other words, the only concrete "clues" as to Rey's heritage in TFA are rather scenes/exchanges/instances that can be retroactively interpreted to fit whatever path Johnson / Lucasfilm choose to take...

FACT: The Force Awakens takes place "roughly 30 years" after Return of the Jedi.

According to The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary:

FACT: Kylo Ren is roughly 30 years old during the events of TFA.

FACT: Rey is 19 years old during the events of TFA.

FACT: In the immediate months / year after Return of the Jedi, Han and Leia give birth to Ben. Because of his uncle's and grandfather's immense power with the Force, in order to ensure that Ben's Force-sensitive nature isn't corrupted by the Dark Side, at a young age, they "enroll" him Luke's Jedi Academy / ensure Luke is there to help guide him toward the Light.

- OPTION 1A: 11 years later, Han and Leia give birth to a second child... Rey.

- OPTION 1B: 11 years later, Luke and an yet-to-be-identified partner give birth to a child... Rey.

- OPTION 1C: 11 years later, Rey is born to yet-be-identified parents; parents who are likely not part of the Skywalker bloodline.

FACT: Despite Han, Leia, and Luke's efforts, Ben is somehow still corrupted by Snoke / the Dark Side, likely due to Ben's obsession with his grandfather's legacy, and takes on the name Kylo Ren.

FACT: Rey is five years old when she is abandoned by her family and left orphaned on Jakku.

- OPTION 2A: At age 16(ish), Kylo Ren murders his fellow Jedi apprentices. Fearing for their daughter's life, who will no-doubt also be immensely Force-sensitive, and thus of great interest to Kylo/Snoke, Han and Leia hide/abandon their daughter on Jakku, just as Luke was hidden on Tatooine. These traumatic events ultimately lead to Han and Leia separating, each reverting back to their former lives.

- OPTION 2B: At age 16(ish), Kylo Ren murders his fellow Jedi apprentices. Fearing for his daughter's life, who will no-doubt also be immensely Force-sensitive, and thus of great interest to Kylo/Snoke, Luke hides/abandons his daughter on Jakku, just as he was hidden on Tatooine. This traumatic event ultimately leads Luke to go into hiding, blaming himself for not only having to abandon his daughter, just as he was abandoned so many years ago, but also blaming himself for not being able to suitably protect Kylo from the Dark Side.

- OPTION 2C: At a later age than 16, Kylo Ren murders his fellow Jedi apprentices. Rey's abandonment on Jakku is then unrelated, because it happened before Luke goes into hiding and/or Han and Leia need to hide their daughter from Kylo/Snoke

A few scenes/exchanges/instances in TFA that can be interpreted to fit the above criteria...

- When Han first encounters Rey and Finn on the Millennium Falcon, he was there (in that system, close to Jakku) smuggling, but also could have been there keeping an eye on his daughter. He hasn't seen her in 14 years, so A) he either doesn't recognize here, or B) pretends not to. Same goes for her being Luke's daughter in that scenario.

- Either way, under the Skywalker bloodline scenario, Han could likely figure out who Rey is pretty fast, and is forced to play coy. Then, when approaching Maz's castle, Rey makes a wide-eyed remark that she didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy. The camera then cuts to Han, giving a wry/knowing expression. This could be interpreted as either A) I feel guilty for abandoning my daughter on Jakku, B) If she only knew Luke was her father, or C) I've never seen this kid in my life, and it's pretty crazy that she's never seen trees before.

- Soon after, Maz asks Han, "Who's the girl?" and it then cuts away to Rey going after Finn, trying to convince Finn not to leave. Whatever Han told Maz, it then causes Maz to follow after Rey into the castle basement. Following Rey's flashback/vision, Maz then talks to Rey as if she knows A) Rey is Han and Leia's daughter, B) Rey is Luke's daughter, C) Rey is simply, but obviously, very strong in the Force.

- The one big hole in Rey-being-the-daughter-of-Han-and-Leia is Han and Leia's private conversation at the Resistance base, where they only discuss their son. That said, Han could potentially still not know that Rey is the daughter they abandoned, and thus no need to bring it up with Leia. In the meantime, Leia could then figure out that A) she's their daughter or B) she's Luke's daughter, and either way, thus why Leia seems to warm to Rey so much in the end.

- Either way, there are also the hints that Kylo seems to be extremely interested in "the girl," and not just because she helped Finn and BB-8 escape; something else that could be attributed to Rey either being the sister or cousin he may have been aware of.

Ultimately, after learning Kylo and Rey's ages, and considering the fact that Luke was committed to training new Jedi - and thus still committed to being a Jedi - I just can't see him having a wife/partner, breaking the Jedi code, and having a daughter after restarting the Jedi Academy. That said, it's still just as hard for me to believe that Han and Leia would abandoned their daughter, then not discuss it at all when we see them privately. But as I've laid out above, I do think there's enough vagueness and room for interpretation to believably/retroactively have Rey be their daughter.

If I had to bet on it right now, it's actually more likely to me that Rey is either the daughter of Han and Leia, or potentially Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter, rather than Luke's daughter. Not only did Ewan McGregor record a special line-reading of the name "Rey" for the flashback/vision sequence in TFA, but knowing he was basically the last Jedi in existence, save for Yoda, with no plans to start an Academy himself, I could see Obi-Wan ultimately breaking his vow on Tatooine, having a kid (likely one he didn't raise), and then that kid ultimately giving birth to Rey.

I still have no clue, but point is, I don't think Abrams and Kasdan did either, and Johnson seems to have been given the green light to go in whichever direction he wants...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Although it makes zero difference to how Episode VIII turns out, I would it find it a bit disappointing if they wrote TFA without actually knowing her backstory.
Flashdiaz
AG
They know. There's no way they leave that much ambiguity for a film series worth billions and slated to have several spinoff movies and even a theme park just to see what a director will do with it.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
As for what Rey's dream sequence doesn't reveal Abrams and Kasdan said they knew they had to suggest her backstory, but everyone felt The Force Awakens would be the wrong place to dive too deeply into Rey's past. "We're hoping Rian Johnson can figure that out," Kasdan joked. "We were really stymied!"
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens
jabberwalkie09
AG
I don't know if I interpret that the same way that you do........ I don't think that means that they are leaving the choice of Rey's lineage up to Johnson to decide, but rather for him to reveal in the film itself.

I think that it is known who's child she is already. I just don't think they wanted to reveal it all in TFA. They have to have something to give us further down the line.
TCTTS
AG
I can buy that.
TCTTS
AG
Also, just came across this video, and I'm more convinced than ever that Rey is a Kenobi. Any other Skywalker-heritage scenario would require her mind to be wiped, and that seems like such a flimsy/lame narrative device...

Knife_Party
I feel like we really need a Skywalker in the new big 3. If we don't have one, Kennedy's point about star wars being a story about the skywalker family becomes absurd. We know that going forward Luke will have a bigger role, but 8 and 9 will be very focused on the new characters. Even though Ren is a skywalker, he is not the focus of the story just as Vader was not the focus of the story in 4,5 and 6.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Also, just came across this video, and I'm more convinced than ever that Rey is a Kenobi. Any other Skywalker-heritage scenario would require her mind to be wiped, and that seems like such a flimsy/lame narrative device...

I can't watch the video right now so maybe they explain it, but that doesn't make sense with her age.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, more than any other anthology movie, I want to see an Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off set on Tatooine between Episode III and IV so bad. They'd have 25 years of story to play with. Like Lawrence of Arabia meets a sci-fi western. Obi-Wan watches over a young Luke from afar, gets caught up in some big Tatooine dispute, while also having a "forbidden" love interest, one that ultimately, in generation after, leads to the birth of Rey. Could be amazing.
TCTTS
AG
Granddaughter, not daughter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What if she's both a Skywalker and Kenobi? Maybe Obi-Wan had a hot, much younger, sister.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
What if she's both a Skywalker and Kenobi? Maybe Obi-Wan had a hot, much younger, sister.

Maybe Obi-Wan knocked up Anikan's mother.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Kenobi anthology film, hell yes.
Duncan Idaho
Padme finally gave up on molesting children and had an age appropriate relationship by nailing ol' ben

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.