*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,509 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Some more reading on the Rey is a Kenobi theory...I like it more than the Skywalker theory.

https://medium.com/@benostrower/rey-is-a-kenobi-362b5af09849#.t2dzao2yr

That was even more convincing than the video I posted a few days ago. Really, her being a Kenobi just makes so much sense. At this point, I would almost be upset if she turns out to be Luke's daughter...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I love Mark. And Carrie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Some more reading on the Rey is a Kenobi theory...I like it more than the Skywalker theory.

That was even more convincing than the video I posted a few days ago. Really, her being a Kenobi just makes so much sense. At this point, I would almost be upset if she turns out to be Luke's daughter...
it certainly has merit....and thematically it could be powerful. I'll admit it does give me goosebumps thinking about the ghost Obi Wan moments that occurred and the deeper meaning of Yoda's words quite possibly (although in the timeline of things i don't think Obi Wan's kid could have had a kid by that point that would now be Rey's age - could he/she?).

TCTTS
AG
No, Rey would be Obi-Wan's grand daughter.
MandoArms
What if she is both? So the Kenobi theory is based on a grandchild...what if Kenobi's daughter ends up being Luke's wife???

Edited for clarity and proper English....
TCTTS
AG
You mean what if Rey's mother was Luke's wife? Guess I could buy that.
MandoArms
quote:
Huh?? I meant Kenobi's daughter ends up being Luke's wife....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
thats what i said...."Obi Wan's kid could have had a kid" that would be Rey's age?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I must be miss-reading posts left and right.
TCTTS
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
thats what i said...."Obi Wan's kid could have had a kid" that would be Rey's age?

anyway no it is NOT possible that she is the one Yoda is referring to....

timeline relative to Battle of Yarin (death star 1 in ANH = 0 BBY)

Revenge of the Sith = 19 BBY this is the last we see of Obi Wan in the PT taking Luke and Leia to Tatooine
A New Hope = 0 BBY
Empire Strikes Back = 3 ABY this is when Yoda says "there is another"

so Obi Wan could have had a kid in the 22 years since then that is 21ish at most and has a kid that is 3-5 years old (assuming that kid had a kid around 16-18 years old) at this point. At a minimum that kid would be a newborn.

A Force Awakens = 34 ABY this is where we meet 20ish Rey

But that kid would now be 31ish at a minimum and as much as 36, and Rey is nowhere near that old.

Still possible she is Obi Wans grandchild....but not possible that she was who Yoda was referring to.
TCTTS
AG
Maybe Yoda can see the future.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Would be interesting if the kept Mara Jade from the EU.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but someone on 4chan who claims to be connected with Disney people says the title for Ep VIII will be Star Wars: The Knights of Ren.
John Williams needs to work with Muse on this:
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

Would be interesting if the kept Mara Jade from the EU.

Would be great, but tough to tell the story of that character and keep it true, unless they're planning on doing an anthology film about Luke set between RotJ and TFA.
redline248
AG
There is zero chance Yoda saying "there is another" refers to anyone other than Leia.
Ag Since 83
AG
Agreed. They should not go retconning the original trilogy
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
There is zero chance Yoda saying "there is another" refers to anyone other than Leia.

I don't disagree, given the state of the canon, but remember that at the time of Empire's production, he wasn't referring to Leia. Luke and Leia were not made to be siblings until Jedi. The original "other" was to be Luke's sister who was in hiding out in the Outer Rim and would show up in the next trilogy.
birdman
The other that Yoda spoke about could have been Kenobi's child. Who then grew up to be parent of Rey. But that is really trying too hard. Luke and Leia were the pair. It worked so well.

I don't see the point of trying to connect everything to original trilogy. We are starting over. Some things will tie together loosely and that's okay. Lucas got in trouble in the prequels by trying to shoehorn everything in there perfectly.
redline248
AG
Things that were planned, but never made it into movies are completely meaningless at this point.
MSCAg
AG
Yeah, I think its pretty clear Yoda is referring to Leia, given he was there at her birth.
M.C. Swag
AG
I don't like the Kenobi Granddaughter thing for a couple reasons:

- Kenobi would have to violate his vows as a Jedi which is completely out of character for what the OT and PT portrayed.

- Even if he had a kid, that kid would still somehow need to produce a force sensitive child (Rey). I don't see how they can effectively explain that without pulling some serious **** out of their behinds.
MandoArms
quote:

- Kenobi would have to violate his vows as a Jedi which is completely out of character for what the OT and PT portrayed.

- Even if he had a kid, that kid would still somehow need to produce a force sensitive child (Rey). I don't see how they can effectively explain that without pulling some serious **** out of their behinds.
I still say Rey is the child of ObiWan's daughter and Luke.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

One thing he doesn't even mention in this that also lends some support to his theory is that Obi-Wan had some kind of romantic relationship hinted at with Mandalorian Duchess Satine in The Clone Wars (which is still canon). It kind of paralleled Anakin's relationship with Padme, though Obi-Wan ultimately made different choices than Anakin.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Satine_Kryze
tamusc
AG
quote:

Kenobi did indeed have a crisis regarding romance and his Jedi vows that was hinted at/explored some in The Clone Wars.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

One thing he doesn't even mention in this that also lends some support to his theory is that Obi-Wan had some kind of romantic relationship hinted at with Mandalorian Duchess Satine in The Clone Wars (which is still canon). It kind of paralleled Anakin's relationship with Padme, though Obi-Wan ultimately made different choices than Anakin.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Satine_Kryze

Spoiler to Clone Wars:

She also dies, so it's unlikely Obi Wan would have gone down that path again.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eh, I don't know if he wouldn't go down that road again but his reaction to her death was certainly different than that of Anakin/Vader's.
LeonardSkinner
quote:

I'm not bothered by this. Jedi are being hunted. "Everybody knows" Jedi don't get settle down and married, so if Kenobi starts a family, that's a good cover story. And maybe he'll have Force using progeny as well.
oragator
Well at least one person had a negative reaction to the film, that being Lucas. I actually qgree with some of his points, but when you mess up the prequels and then sell the franchise, it doesn't exactly leave you in a position to be judging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3379784/George-Lucas-compares-Disney-White-Slavers-new-interview-admits-doesn-t-like-retro-look-smash-hit-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens.html
joemeister
AG
If Rey is a Kenobi, she's at least 1/4 sand person.
jabberwalkie09
AG
From the article:
quote:
'People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems it's not about spaceships.
I must have missed the part where it changed to being all about galactic politics and romance in the PT.
LeonardSkinner
Lucas, in this piece, seems to have lost sight of one important thing: regardless of who "owns" Star Wars, it belongs to the audience. Between the box office numbers and the almost universally positive reviews, it seems clear that the audience got the movie they wanted.
jeffk
AG
Screw Lucas
COOL LASER FALCON
That article sounds quite a bit different than everything we heard leading up to the movie and I think I remember reading the "not about space ships" line before the movie was released. I don't think he was referring to Disney and the new creative types with that line.

I'm actually going to give Lucas the benefit of the doubt on this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.