*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,807 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Easter egg for the day that I don't think has been mentioned.

I knew Simon Pegg was in the film but thought he was just an extra walking around on Jakku. Turns out he played Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer who wants to buy BB-8.
Bevo99
quote:

Droids finding Luke
Finding Old Ben
Finding Han/Chewy
Finding Death Star
Luke being alive on Hoth
Vader has hunch about Hoth after 3 years of searching.
Finding Yoda on swamp planet feet away from crash

Seriously.

Some of y'all need to re-watch the OT. No way it holds up against the criticisms in this thread.

Bruce Almighty
AG
The original trilogies aren't great movies either. They can very easily be picked apart. What they are are incredibly fun movies.
TelcoAg
AG
I guess I don't understand why people are acting as if TFA being a good movie, and TFA having some clunky story arcs, are mutually exclusive. You can still have loved the movie while talking about parts of the story creating, sometimes unnecessarily, more questions than they answered.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
The original trilogies aren't great movies either. They can very easily be picked apart. What they are are incredibly fun movies.

Yup. Hell, a base designed to destroy planets had to wait to destroy a moon base because a planet was in its way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good write-up, TCTTS. I agree with lot of your points about too many coincidences, especially the Falcon being on Jakku and Han and Chewie finding them right away.

That said, I have to disagree with you on Maz. I thought she was great in her small role. I found her funny/interesting, and I thought the CGI looked great. And I think she has a much larger role to play in this story. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, after watching the movie twice, I'm fairly sure that the lightsaber "calling out" to Rey was caused by Maz. This happens immediately after Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?", and it cuts away. This says to me that both Han and Maz know who she is.

quote:
And if Rey really does turn out to be a Kenobi, all the better (I'm sorry, but there's no way she's Luke's daughter).
I'm curious why you feel this way? Is it just because it's way too obvious? (I would agree.) But I wouldn't discount it completely just cause of that, honestly. I thought Kylo Ren being a Solo/Skywalker was a little too obvious too, but we know what happened there.
TelcoAg
AG
How many of y'all actually believe Rey isn't Luke's daughter? It felt like they weren't trying all that hard to hide it in the movie.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Chewy and Han's reason for being in the area to see the falcon while smuggling some crazy octopuses are unexplained.

they didn't just see the falcon out their window lol. They were in the process of smuggling those octopus things when they got some sort of indictator that the falcon was on and in flight, so they went to it. Han even referenced this saying that's how he found it.
it's like using your lost my phone app on a phone that has no battery. if someone powers it up, it's going to show up.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Chewy and Han's reason for being in the area to see the falcon while smuggling some crazy octopuses are unexplained.

they didn't just see the falcon out their window lol. They were in the process of smuggling those octopus things when they got some sort of indictator that the falcon was on and in flight, so they went to it. Han even referenced this saying that's how he found it.
it's like using your lost my phone app on a phone that has no battery. if someone powers it up, it's going to show up.
This was my thought as well. And I actually enjoyed that flip of the situation, considering we probably all assumed the First Order had just found them.
OnlyForNow
AG
Competely agree.

As soon as it got into space and out of Jakku's atmosphere Han and Chewie lightsped to it.
TelcoAg
AG
Gotcha. I really need to see the movie again.

Did they explain why the space gangs were there? I know why they came for Han. I just didn't get why two gangs would be somewhere Han wasn't planning on being.
The Collective
AG
I remember when loosely discussing the plot based on trailers that it became obvious the Falcon was on Jakku. I kind of went in with the expectation that they were just going to stumble across it due to that discussion, so maybe that's why my disappointment with that point was reduced slightly.
Ornithopter
AG
If it comes out that Rey had been trained in the force as a child, but then had her memories blocked its be a cool device. Suddenly the reason she is so quick to use abilities is that she was trained (by her father?) but had her memories repressed (by her father?). It could be explained that she was using what she learned subconciously as a child.
TelcoAg
AG
I do like the quick dialogue they set up for why the Falcon was lost. Just running through the list of guys that stole it. It being taken from Han was a fun throwback to Han taking it off Lando.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Maybe, Han just needed an excuse to see Maz. Maybe he knew the lightsaber was there and was taking Rey to it because he knows more about her than we know at this point.
I am leaning towards this line of thought as well.
Satellite of Love
quote:

Did they explain why the space gangs were there? I know why they came for Han. I just didn't get why two gangs would be somewhere Han wasn't planning on being.
Han like so many times before, owed both groups money, and had welched on a promise.
The Collective
AG
quote:
How many of y'all actually believe Rey isn't Luke's daughter? It felt like they weren't trying all that hard to hide it in the movie.

I left the movie with zero doubt, but I suppose that I could be wrong.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:

Because he took amoney from both gangs. So he got double the money for a job he was only doing once.
TelcoAg
AG
I guess the "How did you get this?" line still works in that scenario.
OnlyForNow
AG
That was a stupid coincidence... (imo)

But they are apparently following Han's new ship.

It seems like something that is "new tech" is that ships can't be located while on a planet, but once is space can be tracked/traced.

Just like when the MF went to the new FO base, they lightspeeded into the atmosphere and couldn't be noticed, sort of like flying below radar now.

So in theory, as soon as the MF got above Jakku's atmosphere it was detectable by everyone, Han found the signal and shot over there, they were probably in hiding somehow/somewhere and then came out of hiding/running long enough to draw the other smugglers attention. So they locked on the new ship and got there ASAP. Then you have the space squid things... and the chase scene in the new ship, that gets everyone on board the MF to fly away into the sunset.

TelcoAg
AG
So they were both following him that whole time? That's the part I didn't get.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:

I don't believe Rey is Luke's daughter. I think there's a much better chance that she is Kylo's half-sister and Luke is her uncle. Yes, I just called out Leia for cheating on Han.
TelcoAg
AG
That makes sense about the whole clean/dirty ship thing now. It's like submarine signatures for space, I guess.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
My favorite part about my second viewing is right when the credits start my dad (non Star Wars fan) says, "Maybe we find out in Episode VIII if Luke can still speak."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I wasn't too educated on who Rian Johnson is, so I looked him up just now. Homeboy directed three of the best episodes of a little show called Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad (TV Series) (3 episodes)
- Ozymandias (2013)
- Fifty-One (2012)
- Fly (2010)

I now have total faith in him
Yup. I cannot wait for Ep VIII. I love where the story is heading, and I think Rian is a fantastic director. Ozymandias is the best episode of television I've seen possibly in my life.
TelcoAg
AG
And I don't care if it was just gratuitous action. That octopus scene was pretty damn cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
I wasn't too educated on who Rian Johnson is, so I looked him up just now. Homeboy directed three of the best episodes of a little show called Breaking Bad.

- Ozymandias (2013)
- Fifty-One (2012)
- Fly (2010)

Fly was the worst episode on TV that I've seen of any show ever.
Incorrect.
TelcoAg
AG
I kinda wish they paid Aaron Sorkin to consult and throw in some solid "walk and talk" to get some dialogue out while keeping the action running.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

- Ozymandias (2013)
- Fifty-One (2012)
- Fly (2010)

Incorrect.
You familiar with what I've seen on TV?
OnlyForNow
AG
It's all heresay, but what I would imagine is going on in the background.

None of that ever was stated, but the MF ended up on Jakku and was completely hidden from everyone of knowledge for 10-30 years? So it has some kind of lo-jack system but apparently that is disabled when you're on a planet.

Now let's go back to the PT, and they find ships on planets at least 3 or 5 times when looking for Anakin or OB1. So either they ignored that tech, or they just have new security measures.

One thing that interests me, sure they have alot of droids etc, but how big is the FO's fleet? and how long did it take them to build the base?

We saw one SD right that Hux was on, and did the command/piloting level get blown up by a TIE or Xwing crashing into it or was that something else?? And the good guys blew up their planet and base... I didn't see any SDs or SSDs taking off before it blew up, so a plot hole I see needed to be plugged is how many FO people are left, thousands upon thousands died/were destroyed on the planet, so the remaining are where? Outter rim protecting Snoke? Somewhere else?

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

maybe the space gangs (who are after Han) also suddenly noticed the tracker for the MF was on...and figured Han would go THERE!!!!

agmag90
I just want to say I had a smile on my face during the entire aerial fight scene on Jakku when Finn and Rey are trying to escape in the Millenium Falcon. That was bliss.

Edit: SIAP
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

- Ozymandias (2013)
- Fifty-One (2012)
- Fly (2010)

Incorrect.
You familiar with what I've seen on TV?
Don't need to be.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That said, I have to disagree with you on Maz. I thought she was great in her small role. I found her funny/interesting, and I thought the CGI looked great. And I think she has a much larger role to play in this story. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, after watching the movie twice, I'm fairly sure that the lightsaber "calling out" to Rey was caused by Maz. This happens immediately after Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?", and it cuts away. This says to me that both Han and Maz know who she is.
I don't know if Maz caused it, so much as that she had the intent to give the lightsaber to Rey after her conversation with Han. I'm pretty certain Han suspected who she was, even if he didn't know it for sure, and Maz seeing Rey's reaction to the lightsaber must have confirmed the suspicions that Han had regarding her. I'm thinking we will see Maz again, and while it would be nice to find out the story of how the lightsaber ended up in Maz's possession, I'm not sure that it is really important to know. I think Han's motivation for going to Maz's is more important.

I think the more important thing is that Rey's apparent sensitivity was confirmed at that point, and that it was at that point she began to "awaken" to the Force. Han apparently didn't know Maz had the lightsaber, and looked very stunned to see that she had it. I think he really wanted to take her there for that Maz could look into her eyes and see if what he suspected about who she was could be confirmed by Maz.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like it. This was Morpheus taking Neo to the Oracle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.