*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,612 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Saul Goodman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anybody know where they are in production for Episode VIII? Has it been written yet?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Does anybody know where they are in production for Episode VIII? Has it been written yet?
Script is 100% complete (save for last-minute tweaks), and they're deep in pre-production. Both Abrams and Ridley have admitted publicly that they've read it. Filming apparently starts in February.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
I can buy this, but again, a plot point should never require this much outside explanation...

Entertainment Weekly / "J.J. Abrams explains R2-D2's closing scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens"
I truly believe he's lying his ass off to prevent giving confirmation of the obvious regarding Rey
Saul Goodman
AG
Thanks - good to know. Rian Johnson directed some of my favorite Breaking Bad episodes, but doesn't seem to have much else on the resume. I bet he's feeling the pressure to hit the "sequel" out of the park like ESB did.
Ag Since 83
AG
Rian Johnson, the guy who when everyone was tweeting pictures of their favorite Star Wars times they owned, tweeted a picture of his Episode VIII script. I like him already
TCTTS
AG
Watch Looper to get a sense of how he'll shoot Episode VIII. A lot of really beautifully shot sci-fi.
TCTTS
AG
In fact, ever since Johnson was announced as the director for Episode VIII, I've been looking forward to it even more than TFA. He's a really smart, funny, down-to-earth guy. And a true fan. I also LOVE the way he shoots. Christopher Nolan is one of his favorite filmmakers, and he talked to Nolan quite a bit about how Nolan shot a lot of the space stuff in Interstellar. I expect true innovation from Johnson, and I really do believe his movie will be head and shoulders above the rest of the trilogy.
Saul Goodman
AG
I do wonder if Johnson/Lucasfilms listens or adjusts some things in the script of Episode VIII based on the reactions or questions of fans coming out of this one.

Saul Goodman
AG
That's great to hear. I'm a big Nolan fan, and I love how he shot Interstellar.
Malachi Constant
AG
Interstellar-style shots in a Star Wars Movie?

Shut up and take my money!
TCTTS
AG
The big set pieces and vast majority of the scenes are no doubt locked by this point (since they're already building sets and what not), but yes, there can definitely be tweaking here and there within scenes to address any criticisms of TFA, if they so choose.
Malachi Constant
AG

Just add some blasters...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
I can buy this, but again, a plot point should never require this much outside explanation...

Entertainment Weekly / "J.J. Abrams explains R2-D2's closing scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens"
I truly believe he's lying his ass off to prevent giving confirmation of the obvious regarding Rey

concerning the explanation though....it also would require NO explanation if R2D2 awoke as soon as BB8 "spoke" to him.....

like:

"oh R2, he has been in a low power coma since master luke disappeared".....
BB8: "bbee be boop be bop..."
R2D2 " be boop be boop?".....
BB8 projects the partial map
R2D2 gets all excited and wakes up fully and projects the full map overlayed with the missing piece.

human characters are stunned like WTF

and i think we (the audience) would all get that (it would be another convenient SW moment of course, but it was anyway they just dragged it out). the idea that it took R2 (a computer) a long time to boot up is just dumb.

they made it alltogether too complicated.
AggieSouth06
quote:
Interstellar-style shots in a Star Wars Movie?

Shut up and take my money!

BUT WILL IT BE AS LOUD AS INTERSTELLAR FOR THE LOVE OF S*** I CAN'T HEAR WHAT MUD IS SAYING OVER THE SOUND OF THIS F***ING BLACK HOLE
Malachi Constant
AG
"DON'T LET ME LEAVE, MURPH [LUKE]!!!"
jabberwalkie09
AG
I won't say that I completely disagree with everything he said (I happen to agree with him regarding Phasma being under utilized in the film and the relationship between her and Finn wasn't really clear, and that we don't need more super weapons) but I have to quibble about his point regarding the battles. I was happy to have atmospheric battles this going around as it really showcased the attention to detail regarding the dynamics of flight (buffeting from air, contrails due to compression of the air, and at least the flight modeling made sense from a more realistic perspective) that you can't really show in space battles. Plus there has been a pretty decent amount of space battles already in the franchise in TPM, ROTS, ANH, and ROTJ. In fact, the majority of combat in the TV series take place in space. The majority of the planet bound combat actually focuses on the ground combat with an exception being in ESB as we follow Luke in the Snow Speeder, but even that transitions to focus on the ground battle and not the aerial combat.
jackie childs
saw it yesterday and loved almost every minute of it. after it had been going on a while, i started to get upset because i knew it'd be over soon. anyway, can't wait to watch it again.

i haven't read through all the comments, so maybe all of these have been discussed, but here are a few thoughts:

1. so it looked like luke was standing over a grave of some sort at the end, right? if so, my thoughts are it was either his wife or maybe something he did for Han after sensing that he was gone.

2. rey as luke's daughter just seems way too easy and obvious. plus, are jedi (at least in the movies) supposed to have wives and kids? i'm not aware of any of them doing so, other than Anakin who had to sneak around with Padme. we saw how well that ended for everybody, so i just can't imagine Luke would chance it. my thoughts on rey below...

3. i didn't like the unmasking of kylo ren so soon, mostly because he was not at all menacing without the mask. i assume they were going for a "he's weaker without the mask" vibe, since within minutes of taking it off he gets jedi-mind blocked by Rey, but still. I'm also hoping the huge light saber scar on the face helps toughen him up a bit.

so I'm in the "Rey is Han's and Leia's daughter" camp. maybe it was clear from birth that the force was crazy strong in her, so when she's a kid, they send her to uncle luke just like ben. she receives some early training and is such a natural/badass that ben gets jealous which fuels his turn to the darkside. luke saves her, but to keep her from calling out to leia or (even worse) her brother ben, luke represses her memories/training and stashes her on a safe planet and lets leia and han believe she'd been killed with the others.

the repressed training would help explain why it is called the force 'awakens' and why she picked it up so quickly...she wasn't learning it, she was remembering it.

fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS#IzbcZ4u
Pretty cool that Kylo's saber's hilt is vents and not necessarily by design.
I feel a bit redeemed on this one, I mentioned earlier that his lightsaber seemed roughly constructed. It also had a rough hum to it, almost like listening to an old big block engine as compared to the very crisp sounds of the Jedi lightsabers we've seen.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Rey as Luke's daughter is too obvious and easy......

Rey as Luke's daughter and Capt. Phasma's daughter (captured and reprogrammed by the FO) is an awesome twist.

I refuse to believe Gwendoline Christie is in SW just to be made Finn's ***** and drop the shields for him. Plus it would explain Rey being a badass cuz GC/Brienne is a badass.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Undoubtedly.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

concerning the explanation though....it also would require NO explanation if R2D2 awoke as soon as BB8 "spoke" to him.....

like:

R2D2 gets all excited and wakes up fully and projects the full map overlayed with the missing piece.

and i think we (the audience) would all get that (it would be another convenient SW moment of course, but it was anyway they just dragged it out). the idea that it took R2 (a computer) a long time to boot up is just dumb.

Ok, but what happened in the movie actually felt perfect. R2 comes to life when Rey enters the room, much like the "stuck recording" instantly playing for Obi-Wan.

TelcoAg
AG
quote:
Rian Johnson, the guy who when everyone was tweeting pictures of their favorite Star Wars times they owned, tweeted a picture of his Episode VIII script. I like him already
This reply back to him was pretty damn hilarious, too

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
it's IMDB status which is generally very accurate says "Filming"....it could be very early though.

but they are aiming for May 2017 (18 months). They started filing VII in 2014 and released in late 2015 (18+ months).

This article says filming soon, but they could be filing non character parts now.

http://news.sky.com/story/1609957/star-wars-episode-viii-to-begin-london-filming
AgMarauder04
AG
If Rey isn't Luke's daughter, someone has to be his kid.
jackie childs
quote:
why?
Satellite of Love
So will Boba Fett make an re-appearance in the next film? After all he didn't die in the sarlacc...though I don't remember much after he was rescued from the pit.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

like:

Ok, but what happened in the movie actually felt perfect. R2 comes to life when Rey enters the room, much like the "stuck recording" instantly playing for Obi-Wan.

yes...well she could have come in with BB8 the first time...they drug it out. it didn't tick me off...but it requires more explanation the way they did it....which was odd because they revealed all kinds of other stuff just at the drop of a hat (ohh this kylo, han and leia's son...oh ok....oh the millenium falcon was stolen by this guy, then that guy, then this guy....oh uh here's a light saber of luke's in a chest no explanation at all).
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Oh I agree. Which means that BB8 found R2 way, WAY too early in the film. Reflecting on it now, the introduction of R2 would probably have worked better if BB8 had found R2 at the end of the film rather than about half way through. Rey could have asked Leia after the conversation with Maz and the events on Starkiller Base, realizing that her destiny does indeed lay in front of her with Luke being the first step in her journey, about Luke.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Why?
TCTTS
AG
They filmed some Episode VIII scenes with Luke and Rey already (last September/October) on the island from the final TFA scene because it was the only chance they'd get when the weather was sure to cooperate. But principal photography doesn't begin until February of next year.

Also, just FYI, "very accurate" is the last thing I'd call IMDB. It's like Wikipedia - literally anyone can edit/add info - so never trust it. No one in the industry really does.
Dro07
AG
so what are the companion books/comics etc for this that anyone recommends? I need a fix
TCTTS
AG
Every shot from the trailers that wasn't in the final movie...

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
They filmed some Episode VIII scenes with Luke and Rey already (last September/October) on the island from the final TFA scene because it was the only chance they'd get when the weather was sure to cooperate. But principal photography doesn't begin until February of next year.

Also, just JYI, "very accurate" is the last thing I'd call IMDB. It's like Wikipedia - literally anyone can edit/add info - so never trust it. No one in the industry really does.

i just meant very accurate in terms of where it is in production phase. usually.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
so what are the companion books/comics etc for this that anyone recommends? I need a fix
I am going with the following to bridge the gap between Jedi & TFA
Shatter Empire #1-4
Aftermath: Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars The Force Awakens: Before the Awakening

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Was definitely in there. She was looking at the old lady across from her also scrubbing some stuff.

And pretty sure the shot of the Knights of Ren was part of her force vision.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.