*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,935 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Phasma was conceived as a man and only became a woman after fans complained about a lack of women in the cast. Seems unlikely she would turn out to be anyone's mom.
Was gonna say the same thing.
Ag Since 83
AG
quote:
I just have to say this:

My six year old IDOLIZES Han Solo. He has been his favorite character forever. He was sooo stoked when Han came on the scene. He and I high fived in the theatre.

I will never forget the look on his face when Kylo killed Han. He looked up at me and said, "Daddy, is Han Solo dead?"

And I said, "Yeah, buddy, he is."

My kid curled up in a ball on his theatre seat and cried for ten minutes. I totally had to go all dad-comfort mode and couldn't properly mourn myself.

My kid was DESTROYED by that scene. He still loves playing with his BB8/Poe/Rey Legos, but when asked, he says, "That was not a good movie."

That's just depressing.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
The accent is important. JJA/LK kept it for a reason.
IIRC the accent in Star Wars tends to signify whether someone is from the core or outer rim worlds. English accents are those of the core worlds. Since Luke obviously doesn't have that accent, I'm also inclined to believe it was learned from her mother when she was a child.

Neither Leia nor Han had an accent, so I'm less inclined to believe that Rey is some long lost daughter of theirs. Rather, I think Rey's mother is going to be the twist and Luke will be her father.
Watch A New Hope and listen to Leia, she doesn't quite have an accent but she definitely pushes toward having one at certain moments.

This could be the core vs outer rim thing, but I've always thought that analyzing accents in the Star Wars films was a bit of a lost cause given the range of actors we've had play parts. There might be some validity to it though.
The Collective
AG
Damn. That is a tough little life lesson for a 6 year old.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Wait, who were the parents of all the "new jedi" that Luke was training?

Yeah, who are these people that let their kid get raised by the Jedi? They are horrible at raising kids... Pre-Jedi, Anakin was a great kid. A few years with the Jedi & he's a murderous turd.

Then the same thing happens with sweet little Ben Solo! No wonder the Empire & the First Order are trying to stop that madness.

fig96
AG
quote:
Geez, seriously. My heart goes out to the little guy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy crap, Chemist, that is depressing as ****.

Seeing Chewie fly the falcon to rescue Rey is the moment that got me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'm just posting this so I can look at it over and over.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
My only wish would have been for Chewie to go total Wookiee beserker and start ripping stormies apart with his bare hands, but still excellent moment for him.
Well, he did kind of go all Rambo on the troopers after. If only he had a machete to do some work with.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Official casting call release for Episode 8 - says Harrison Ford is in it; gotta be a flashback I assume.

http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/12/star-wars-episode-viii-casting-new-lead-and-supporting-roles.html
Has it been noted that Adam Driver is not mentioned?

No way they killed him and Hux off, right?
Knife_Party
Idk if there is anything to read into no mention of Driver. There is no way those two characters are dead.
LeonardSkinner
When Snoke specifically said for them to come to him, no chance they're dead.

autocorrect...
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
When Snoke specifically said for them to come to him, no chance they're dead.

autocorrect...
This
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:

One reason it's PG-13.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well that was depressing... Han was my favorite character in front of Chewie. Now here's hoping that Chewie gets to go to town on some more stormtroopers.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Official casting call release for Episode 8 - says Harrison Ford is in it; gotta be a flashback I assume.

http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/12/star-wars-episode-viii-casting-new-lead-and-supporting-roles.html
Didn't Kathleen Kennedy make a blanket statement that everyone would be back? I can't help but feel that she was speaking rather generically except for the obvious.....
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'm going to riff off of that with two reasons why I think Rey is Luke's daughter.

Rey is told by Maz that those who left her are never coming back, but there is one who might. If Rey's mother is dead or First Order now, that is the person that won't come back. But perhaps Luke is her father and is the one who could come back, more emotionally than physically.

Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker have a natural talent for for fixing things and this point is really driven home in the novelizations (though not canon anymore). Rey is also very good at fixing things. She is certainly a Skywalker. Combined with point one above, I think Luke is her father.

We may not have met Rey's mother yet. We might meet her character in episode 8 but not learn it's her until episode 9. Or, it could be Phasma like some have said.
Like the reasoning here, and it makes sense.
Rocag
AG
The only way I'd be ok with Rey being Luke's daughter is if her mom is Mara Jade. Got to keep something from the EU, right?
Satellite of Love
It didn't hit me at the time, but did anyone else realize that Finn's stormtrooper number (FN 2187) is the same as Leia's cell in ANH?!!? Mind = BLOWN!
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
I just have to say this:

My six year old IDOLIZES Han Solo. He has been his favorite character forever. He was sooo stoked when Han came on the scene. He and I high fived in the theatre.

I will never forget the look on his face when Kylo killed Han. He looked up at me and said, "Daddy, is Han Solo dead?"

My kid curled up in a ball on his theatre seat and cried for ten minutes. I totally had to go all dad-comfort mode and couldn't properly mourn myself.

My kid was DESTROYED by that scene. He still loves playing with his BB8/Poe/Rey Legos, but when asked, he says, "That was not a good movie."

My kids took it better than that but they were not happy. Could you imagine if it had been Chewie? People would have literally lost their sh**. Regardless, it made my wife so mad she has banned all images and discussion of Kylo Ren from our household.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I just have to say this:

maybe go see the pg-13 movie yourself before taking a 6 year old to it?

I've decided not to take my daughter to see it because of that scene and the blood.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

Didn't Kathleen Kennedy make a blanket statement that everyone would be back? I can't help but feel that she was speaking rather generically except for the obvious.....
Obviously Driver will be back. Hux I could take or leave. I mean somebody needs to be the scapegoat for Starkiller Base, right? Plus if del Toro is the new bad guy, that field is getting crowded.
Saul Goodman
AG
That's good to hear about the score. I'm going to see it for the 2nd time on Wednesday, and that's something I'm going to pay more attention to this go around. My initial thoughts coming out of it was there was nothing all that memorable about the score. I actually think the score was real good on the prequels - one of the few bright spots.
Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed the score quite a bit. I definitely noticed it throughout. But you guys are super fans so you were probably so engaged with every single aspect of the movie that a 2nd viewing will bring it out more for you. That makes logical sense.
BeefAg_00~
quote:
In fact, ever since Johnson was announced as the director for Episode VIII, I've been looking forward to it even more than TFA. He's a really smart, funny, down-to-earth guy. And a true fan. I also LOVE the way he shoots. Christopher Nolan is one of his favorite filmmakers, and he talked to Nolan quite a bit about how Nolan shot a lot of the space stuff in Interstellar. I expect true innovation from Johnson, and I really do believe his movie will be head and shoulders above the rest of the trilogy.

This means its gonna suck?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Obviously Driver will be back. Hux I could take or leave. I mean somebody needs to be the scapegoat for Starkiller Base, right? Plus if del Toro is the new bad guy, that field is getting crowded.
Same about Hux. I think someone needs a throat hug.... I think del Toro could be a more compelling, older
Hux if written right. I honestly don't see Hux making it very far after losing Starkiller Base. Obviously everyone else other than Han will be back. I betting Ford's stipulation for agreeing to do TFA was that Han must die.
Saul Goodman
AG
Speaking of the other directors: I'm not as up-to-speed as a lot of you are on Episodes 8 and 9. However, I did read that the Director for Episode 9 is the guy who did Jurassic World. I know that movie was very popular, but I found the acting and dialogue to be very superficial. I really wasn't a fan of it. After what TC has said about Rian Johnson, I'm excited for Episode 8, but concerned about 9.
AggieSouth06
Phasma theory...

She wasn't given much screen time because she wasn't in the original script. JJ said that Johnson asked him to write in some things to help set up Ep VIII. I'm betting she goes rogue to hunt down Finn and that's why she's such a major player in the next part. Benicio could be a bounty hunter helping her, or something like that.

I'm guessing the defection backlash will be hanging over his head when he recovers, especially since it's squarely his fault that the base was destroyed. He's basically the most wanted terrorist in the galaxy according to the First Order.
hurleyag
AG
Maybe del Toro is some sort of collector that is looking for powerful stones... ie lightsaber crystals
COOL LASER FALCON
I think the other directors are set up well to follow the tone of the original trilogy. I expect Episode VIII to be less about a galactic threat and more about a direct threat to the characters that we have come to care about. Colin Trevorrow comes in for the massive action-packed finale.

I'm skeptical about Trevorrow, but I think this is their thinking. To be optimistic, I thought the faults in JW were in the writing, not as much as the directing.
fig96
AG
quote:
Speaking of the other directors: I'm not as up-to-speed as a lot of you are on Episodes 8 and 9. However, I did read that the Director for Episode 9 is the guy who did Jurassic World. I know that movie was very popular, but I found the acting and dialogue to be very superficial. I really wasn't a fan of it. After what TC has said about Rian Johnson, I'm excited for Episode 8, but concerned about 9.
I don't disagree, but he's blowing up for some reason and I'm not entirely sure why.

Considering he was picked by Spielberg to do JW (which was rather fun if not a cinematic masterpiece) then Lucasfilm to do Ep IX, I'm assuming they know something we don't.

I'm a big Rian Johnson fan as is TCTTS (seriously, go watch Brick people), so would be interested to hear his opinion here.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

I'm skeptical about Trevorrow, but I think this is their thinking. To be optimistic, I thought the faults in JW were in the writing, not as much as the directing.
I'm still trying to understand why they had Clare run around the entire movie in heels..... That bugged the **** out of me.... The entire movie....
Saul Goodman
AG
And Chris Pratt's scrunched up/focused/trying to be overly masculine face the ENTIRE movie
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Maybe del Toro is some sort of collector that is looking for powerful stones... ie lightsaber crystals

This will be our connection to the Marvel Universe!
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm still trying to understand why they had Clare run around the entire movie in heels..... That bugged the **** out of me.... The entire movie....
it's been a while since i've seen the movie and it is a bit forgettable, but she was a business woman wearing heels when it hit the fan. Do you expect her to stop looking for her people to change shoes at a footlocker, go home to change shoes, go barefoot or take some off a corpse?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.