*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,500 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LotR is quite possibly the greatest film franchise of all time. Cinematography, acting, score, costume/set design...everything about it was phenomenal. And it had the rare characteristic of getting better with each installment. Very rare to see the 3rd film of a trilogy be the best. Especially when the first 2 were quite awesome. (Granted, it also had the advantage of working off source material, but still...)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Especially when you consider the awards and recognition.
Farmer1906
AG
I disagree that it got better. I think it got worse. The others just had more and more action.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I disagree that it got better. I think it got worse. The others just had more and more action.

It's not a thread until 1906 comes in and goes against the grain.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

It's not a thread until 1906 comes in and goes against the grain.
Anything for you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Actually Fellowship is my favorite, followed by ROTK. However, it's pretty hard to rank three movies when they're all that good. You can give me any order and I won't really argue.
The Collective
AG
In the theater, I really liked Two Towers the most, which I know is definitely against the grain. As they've all been out and my interests in them have seasoned, my appreciation of Fellowship has increased a lot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think Helm's Deep is my favorite battle, though ROTK has the better "moment" with Theoden's speech and the charge of the Rohirrim on Minas Tirith.
M.C. Swag
AG
Two Towers was my favorite of the books, but RotK was my favorite of the films. (But I won't argue with anyone who prefers either of the other 2)
wangus12
AG
quote:
And since we're on the subject, here is my favorite piece of music from LOTR. Certainly on par with anything from Star Wars. Quite possibly my favorite film track of all time.

When I hear this, I can picture the scene very clearly and really feel the crushing heartbreak that the Fellowship had with the breaking. Also my favorite along with Concerning Hobbits (The Shire)
YellowPot_97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hey. ***got. They're not gay. They're hobbits.
Coppell97
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
The track "The Ways Of The Force" is when Rey gets the saber.
Not quite. I went tonight for the third time. This track has a small portion of what I am talking about, which I believe is contained in at the end of the track "Burning homestead" from the Episode IV score. This was the scene where Luke returns home to find the bodies of his murdered uncle and aunt. It was a powerful piece that accompanied a pivotal moment in the OT. It is also a pivotal sequence in Episode VII when Rey gets that light saber and suddenly realizes what she is (my theory).
redline248
AG
Finally got my second viewing in today. Really is a great movie. Almost all of my (small) criticisms were gone.

Few things I tried to pay attention to during the vision scene. 1) When Rey is walking into that room before picking up the lightsaber, there's a bag hanging on the wall that looks like it has IG-88's head, or another droid like it. 2) The hallway is definitely the same hall Vader and Luke are in on Cloud City. 3) When she's in the rain Kylo stabs someone with his saber, who appeared to be about to kill Rey. Is that supposed to be someone from Kylo's squad, and Kylo stopped him from killing Rey? Maybe Rey as a child?

Lastly: has this thread been abandoned in favor of the big discussion thread?
Bob09
AG
What if Rey is just the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker?
Quinn
AG
http://strw.rs/1RAg4oI

Ep VIII moved to Dec 15, 2017.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not surprised given the home run that the Christmas break turned out to be.
The Collective
AG
quote:
http://strw.rs/1RAg4oI

Ep VIII moved to Dec 15, 2017.

Damn. 23 months.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Color me happy. Can only mean that it's definitely going to get its due diligence.

I don't expect it to surpass TFA box office, but you never know.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
17 months seemed overly optimistic anyway.....

i wonder if they also decided it did so well then as a family movie for the entire family over the holidays so why not.

without the box office success of the level of VII they might have felt pressured to rush it and keep the May 2017 date.

that does now put SW VIII pretty much head to head with Avatar 2 in winter of 2017 unless (or until) that gets delayed again. Cameron just confirmed last week it was set for December 25, 2017.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Showdown!

Unfortunately I think Avatar 2 would win
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Completely expected this eventually.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Showdown!

Don't be so negative

I think SW cleans Avatar's clock head to head in the US.
The Collective
AG
I just put "out of office" on my outlook calendar for Dec 14, 2017.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Dec of 17 is going to be an epic month for movie watching.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guys, Avatar will move.
jackie childs
I didn't think Pocahontas had a sequel, so what is Avatar 2 supposed to be about?

will jake be on his way somewhere and get stranded on a planet where he befriends a tow truck?

or maybe a newer and improved avatar arrives (let's call him Luzz Blightyear) and jake is afraid he'll be replaced, only to forge an unlikely friendship when he realizes there's enough love to go around?

or maybe jake has become king of na'vi and the story focuses on jake's and neytiri's son (recently born after some of that tail-lovin) and his quest to regain the kingdom after jake is crushed by wild beasts?
AliasMan02
AG
Noooooooooooooo!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Avatar 2 is supposed to take place mainly underwater.
SapperAg
AG
quote:
Showdown!

For a second I thought this was the sequel to the M. Night Shamylan movie based on the cartoon. And I started to fear for humanity and my sanity. Then I realized which Avatar you were talking about. I still fear for humanity, but not quite as desperately. Luckily I lost my sanity years ago.
Ag Since 83
AG
Cue Vader:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!
amercer
AG
quote:
Avatar 2 is supposed to take place mainly underwater.

ITS AN ALBUM FOR FISH
MSCAg
AG
quote:
LotR is quite possibly the greatest film franchise of all time. Cinematography, acting, score, costume/set design...everything about it was phenomenal. And it had the rare characteristic of getting better with each installment. Very rare to see the 3rd film of a trilogy be the best. Especially when the first 2 were quite awesome. (Granted, it also had the advantage of working off source material, but still...)
Great franchise but I disagree that it got better. I actually felt like Jackson has gotten worse with every LotR movie.

Return would have been good but he screwed up how he conceptualized Gondor (basically made them a bunch of wimps when really they were brave guys that really kept Sauron from completely marching across Middle Earth) and he Dues Ex Machina'ed the Army of the Dead to such a degree the conclusion of that battle was anti-climatic.

He should have cut all the Rohrin/Aargon leaving drama at the beginning and do the battle of Pelinor fields right. Honestly, I would almost say the 3rd move was bad except for the Rohan charge.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.