*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,766 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Problem I have heard is that so many of the new novels are trash, especially aftermath. Also tried watching Rebels and just couldn't get into it. Same with Clone Wars sadly. And I am not going to go out and buy comics.
Nor am I, but I buy a ton of comics through Comixology.

Clone Wars has its ups and downs but gets really good in later seasons, haven't seen enough of Rebels yet to make a judgement.

Rebels started to get good around "path of the Jedi" in. season one. Fighter flight was a terrible episode though, and I think hurt it a bit. TCW started to get good a little over half way into season 2, but really took off in season 3. The exceptions being the jar jar and the majority of the padme episodes.
agracer
AG
Didnt' Leia at one point say she should have let Luke train Ben/Kylo...and she should not have sent him away? Are we sure Luke was the one training Ben/Kylo?
cr0wbar
AG
Hold up. Am I to believe that next year's film, Rogue One, is to be set a year before the battle of Yavin? So we're now moving away from the characters we were just introduced to? Sounds rather disappointing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why would an anthology film involve the main saga characters?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Leia says she lost their son when he sent him to train with Luke. Yes, we're sure he was training with Luke.
Knife_Party
There are many interesting stories to tell in the star wars universe that don't always involve the major charactets directly. There will still be episode 8 and 9 coming.
Saxsoon
AG
She specifically said she sent him to Luke because there was too much Vader in him
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Hold up. Am I to believe that next year's film, Rogue One, is to be set a year before the battle of Yavin? So we're now moving away from the characters we were just introduced to? Sounds rather disappointing.
The creatives at Lucasfilm have been told that their allowed scope is 10,000 years BBY to 10,000 years ABY. Probably won't stretch that far, but we'll get stories from all across the timeline.
JJxvi
AG
LMAO, A 20,000 year window is ridiculous.

InnerCityAg
So wait a second.... if Jar Jar Binks is still a senator from Naboo.... did we just watch JJ Abrams kill Jar Jar?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree.

IMO, keep it +/- 100 years of the Battle of Yavin.

At least things can still be tangentially related to the events/characters we know.
caleblyn
I used to know the Star Wars world quite well but have been disconnected for some time. Anyhow, what about this as a thought...

What if Anakin truly has a father that Shmi kept a secret and Rey is the actual "Chosen One"? This would mean that Rey has no father.

This could explain her ability to use the force with no training or Luke washed her brain at the end of the Jedi Academy to protect her.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Problem I have heard is that so many of the new novels are trash, especially aftermath. Also tried watching Rebels and just couldn't get into it. Same with Clone Wars sadly. And I am not going to go out and buy comics.
So far I've read all of the new novels, plus am about to finish the young adult novels, then move on to the short stories. I'm up on the comics except for the Chewbacca series and the Vader Down crossover, I think.

The novels are pretty good. It's not literature... you're not going to get Lord of the Rings or To Kill a Mockingbird, and fortunately they don't try to be those things. Aftermath is the weakest book, probably, mostly because of the author's style, which is just lazy and horrid. I get that ever since House of Leaves some authors think they can market terrible communication skills as being artistic, but it makes the book incredibly hard to read. I've heard it's better as an audio book. Aftermath is also the worst example of forcing an OT character into the story.

As far as just Star Wars fandom goes, the young adult novels might be the best (other than Tarkin, which I've decided is far and away the best of the novels). They're short and to the point, and just tell a direct, self-contained story. You can burn through any of the Journey to The Force Awakens novels in a few hours of dedicated reading and glean some interesting background on other events and characters in the universe. Lost Stars is longer, and in many ways is like one of the later Harry Potter books in that much of it happens at the Imperial Academy with a cast of supporting characters (the computer geek, the roommate whose dad is a big shot), but with sexual content aimed at teenagers; nothing explicit, of course.

The comics are good, and much of the focus has been on little side-stories that are limited runs, which is a smart approach. The continuous run comics are fun filler for what happened immediately post-Yavin.

The best criticism of the books is that they do, at times, try too hard to pin the new characters to old characters. They're WAY better about this than the old EU books, however. The old EU focused a LOT of the continuing adventures of the Big Three, and it got really tired, really fast. Each book had to push the envelope of their abilities and relationships and it went on pretty well unchecked until it was totally out of hand. The new materials have focused more on telling stories about new heroes and villains that only tangentially intersect characters from the OT or other media. A Zabrak bounty hunter in Aftermath is the niece of another character that Clone Wars fans will remember. Another Aftermath character was a Y-Wing pilot at Endor. Poe Damereon's mother flew a mission for Luke after RotJ. Etc. Little coincidences that mean something to die-hard fans familiar with the extended canon, but not something that detracts if you're not in the loop.

The top criticism of the comics, as a Star Wars fan, is that stories arc very quickly and there's not a ton of development. That's just a casualty of the medium, however. They jumped to Luke briefly encountering Vader right off the bat, for example. If it were a novel or TV series it would be more nuanced, but in comics, something must happen in every panel and the story has to move quickly. Just the way it is.

Overall, they've gone a good job imo, and the volume is not at all out of control. The fact that all of the materials have to go through the Story Group serves as a much needed bottleneck.
caleblyn
If Anakin was created my the meti-chlorids to bring balance to the force, could Rey have been created for the same purpose with no father?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:
the meti-chlorids

caleblyn
*rolling eyes*

midi-chlorians
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Something that's been troubling me...

Starkiller Base sucks the energy from the star it orbits. The star goes black after the weapon is charged twice.

I'm assuming massive planetary terraforming must cost a bajillion credits. And, I'm assuming technology hasn't advanced so far in 30 years that you can move planets through hyperspace. So, Starkiller Base is tied to it's sun.

Did the First Order build Starkiller Base to fire it only twice? Doesn't seem like the best bang for your buck. Yes, you destroyed the Republic Government, but it moves from planet to planet and is made up of representatives, so you can rebuild the Republic. And sure, you destroyed the Republic Fleet, but it is apparently pretty easy to ramp up production (see how many ships suddenly appeared in Episodes II & III). In other words, the Republic is dealt a blow, but it isn't dead. And, I don't see that the First Order has the resources to suddenly enforce it's will on thousands of planets.
redline248
AG
The death star moved through hyperspace, and was moon sized. Why couldn't they put engines on a planet? Also, I don't think there were 2 stars in that system originally, so they moved it from somewhere.
SwigAg11
AG
I know it is no longer canon, but Zonoma Sekot was a living planet that could travel through hyperspace. The idea is not farfetched from the EU.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BeefAg_00~
quote:
I know it is no longer canon, but Zonoma Sekot was a living planet that could travel through hyperspace. The idea is not farfetched from the EU.

Seems like that'd be hell on the climate and weather patterns.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
http://i.imgur.com/VJBBlh5.png

YES.

I want to make a video cutting together all of the awkward staring at each other scense.
fig96
AG
I'm really enjoying the Kanan comic, he's a fun character.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
13 rejected ideas for TFA from "The Making of ..." book. Underwater Death Star is my new band name.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/13-story-ideas-that-were-dropped-from-star-wars-the-fo-1749962882
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Something that's been troubling me...

Starkiller Base sucks the energy from the star it orbits. The star goes black after the weapon is charged twice.

I'm assuming massive planetary terraforming must cost a bajillion credits. And, I'm assuming technology hasn't advanced so far in 30 years that you can move planets through hyperspace. So, Starkiller Base is tied to it's sun.

Did the First Order build Starkiller Base to fire it only twice? Doesn't seem like the best bang for your buck. Yes, you destroyed the Republic Government, but it moves from planet to planet and is made up of representatives, so you can rebuild the Republic. And sure, you destroyed the Republic Fleet, but it is apparently pretty easy to ramp up production (see how many ships suddenly appeared in Episodes II & III). In other words, the Republic is dealt a blow, but it isn't dead. And, I don't see that the First Order has the resources to suddenly enforce it's will on thousands of planets.

It moves, it absorbed 2 different stars. The reason it is light back on the rebel planet at the end is that the star killer explodes and reverts back to the original star.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
9) The opening sequence could have spoofed the start of A New Hope

J.J. Abrams was keen on the idea that the opening of Episode VII should be familiar, but with a twist. So they storyboarded an opening sequence where a star destroyer soars over a planet, and it looks just like the opening to A New Hope... until you see that the star destroyer has a huge hole in its underbelly. And scavengers are pulling stuff out of it into a small spaceship, until they have an accident and crash on the planet.
wangus12
AG
Viewing #4 now that I'm away from family. In IMAX. Theatre is pretty much sold out
PatAg
AG
quote:
Should have ended your post after the first sentence. THE EU DOESNT APPLY TO THESE MOVIES
redline248
AG
quote:

It moves, it absorbed 2 different stars. The reason it is light back on the rebel planet at the end is that the star killer explodes and reverts back to the original star.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Starkiller and the resistance base were in two separate systems, with 2 separate suns.
JJxvi
AG
Yes, they used hyperspace to get from the resistance to Starkiller Base.
JJxvi
AG
The firing of the weapon was one thing in the film that made me roll my eyes. I can accept maybe some kind of super duper hyperspace laser, but was a little annoyed that observers outside the systems could see it happening in real time somehow. In only 30 years, some parts of the galaxy should be able to look through some futuristic space telescopes and still see pre-death star Alderaan.
redline248
AG
Well, that's hardly good for cinematic drama
JJxvi
AG
Ha. Well, it was enough for me that I got to see it happen. Having the characters also being able to see it happen from light years away was off-putting for me and distracted my brain from the film for a bit thinking about the incongruity (it also didn't help the fact that it wasn't exactly crystal clear what was being blown up and how far away it was) but I guess its my fault for not being dumb.
SwigAg11
AG
quote:
quote:
Should have ended your post after the first sentence. THE EU DOESNT APPLY TO THESE MOVIES

I understand that the EU does not apply to the movies. I was just commenting that the writers probably just borrowed the idea; they have borrowed a lot of other ideas already. I don't understand why I should have just dropped my second sentence.
SF2004
AG
Read a lot of grumbling in other sandboxes that some critics/people aren't liking this movie. Also blaming Jj for screwing two sci fi franchises now..

How can you not like this movie of you are a Star Wars fan?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.