*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,815 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Username win.
Malachi Constant
AG
Rey is a Shan. Book it.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Rey is a Shan. Book it.
If this is what it takes to get her to wield the double blade
Malachi Constant
AG
I've thought about how cool it would be to tie KOTOR into these films somehow.

Like when we thought Kylo Ren was Revan...

But it would be neat to have some distant connection. Naga Sadow or some such.
Donald Glover
AG
Do yall think this trilogy has the potential to be better than the originals, or do yall think it cant simply because of nostalgia
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Do yall think this trilogy has the potential to be better than the originals, or do yall think it cant simply because of nostalgia

On average? Yes. Doubt it meets the high of Empire, but if it can pull together a stronger ending, that could carry the mean over the top.
wangus12
AG
quote:
It has the opportunity as of right now. The question is do we see a drop off with different directors/writers.
Bruce Almighty
AG
While I loved TFA, they can't just rehash the entire trilogy. Hopefully they start to go in a different direction with the next two movies.
Saul Goodman
AG
I think it could, but you hit on the big thing that carries the OT: nostalgia. I've already mentioned it, but I think the new main cast is overall a better acting group. Harrison Ford really made the OT movies work, because I don't think Mark and Carrie could've carried those films by themselves. However, I think Ridley, Boyega, Issac, and Driver are all very capable in their own right.

The big thing will be the transition from JJ to Rian, and so on. I'm a bit nervous about the hand-off of duties.
Saul Goodman
AG
I agree 100%. I hope they recognize the potential for really cool plot lines that don't involve a complete trilogy rehash. I liked all the parallels in this movie to #4, but I wouldn't want it to carry over three films.
M.C. Swag
AG
I think it could be much better. As mentioned already, the cast is far and away more talented than the original. And I think the director hand-off could keep it fresh. (Lucas got a little too comfortable as the movies went along)

However, unlike the original trilogy, these new films are going to have to cater to a whirlwind of marketing ploys and the shadow of its predecessor's success.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Not worth a new thread, but how about we all go on the record as to Rey's lightsaber color.
I'm thinking either yellow or orange. I expect a double bladed saber as well given her staff preference, maybe something new where it is two lightsabers that can be put together.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
i think this has the chance to be a better cohesive story over three movies. They really did a good job of setting up a lot of good plot lines and potential directions.
AgMarauder04
AG
Did anybody else just feel emotions? It was amazing. I wanted to cry at how well done it was, especially some of the scenes matched with John Williams score.
512Ag
AG
quote:
Did anybody else just feel emotions? It was amazing. I wanted to cry at how well done it was, especially some of the scenes matched with John Williams score.
I felt like I might cry when Rey cracked the lightsaber on for the first time.

(apologies for the crossover nerd image)
AggieLitigator
Daisy,

Welcome to my top 5 of celebrity women I want to have sex with
Pooh Ah
AG
Not sure this is the right place for this, but I just saw the movie and skimmed 19 pages to see if anyone else noticed the creature on the spit in the cantina. It sure looked like E.T. to me. There was a quick backlit shot of the head, and it immediately made me think of E.T. In another shot it looked like it had big feet. This is going to drive me crazy until I see the movie again.

-Mrs. Pooh Ah
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Not sure this is the right place for this, but I just saw the movie and skimmed 19 pages to see if anyone else noticed the creature on the spit in the cantina. It sure looked like E.T. to me. There was a quick backlit shot of the head, and it immediately made me think of E.T. In another shot it looked like it had big feet. This is going to drive me crazy until I see the movie again.

-Mrs. Pooh Ah
I didn't see the ET but did you happen to catch someone (I think the 'bartender') dressed as batman?!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Williams absolutely nailed it. Seeing it a second time was pretty amazing and gave me more time to really appreciate the score. Especially when Rey and Kylo are fighting. How he blended her theme and the Force theme, along with everything else was masterful IMO.
Pooh Ah
AG
Didn't see Batman. I was still too busy trying to pay attention to the movie while hoping catch another glimpse of what might have been the ET lunch special. Now I have two things to look for!

-Mrs. Pooh Ah
Jim01
AG
quote:
Harrison Ford really made the OT movies work, because I don't think Mark and Carrie could've carried those films by themselves

This is one of my potential worries for VIII. Ford was great in this. VIII looks like it might have a lot of Luke, and I'm just hoping Mark Hamill can carry that weight.
PatAg
AG
I actualy think Mark Hammill is a great actor
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My biggest concern with the ST at this point is the ID and motivations of Snoke. He needs to matter and he needs to be interesting, not just "another guy as bad-ass as Palpatine who is now running the Empire"
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
My biggest concern with the ST at this point is the ID and motivations of Snoke. He needs to matter and he needs to be interesting, not just "another guy as bad-ass as Palpatine who is now running the Empire"
THIS. I have little doubt that the new cast can carry the movies going forward, but I think Snoke's motivations needs to be his own.
Drahknor03
AG
quote:
quote:
Harrison Ford really made the OT movies work, because I don't think Mark and Carrie could've carried those films by themselves

This is one of my potential worries for VIII. Ford was great in this. VIII looks like it might have a lot of Luke, and I'm just hoping Mark Hamill can carry that weight.

Mark Hammil carried small screen Batman for 20 years... He will do fine.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm not worried about Hamill. His acting was fine in episodes V and VI. Lucas has a knack for making good actors look bad. As long as the screen time for Fisher is limited, there should be no problems.
fig96
AG
quote:
And Abrams had the sets and technology perfect....thank god little or no green screen crap...it felt real like the originals. BRAVO!!!! And it was rich and varied and gritty like the originals not shiny like the prequels.

I this is an interesting discussion point, just the overall look and use of CG in general as compared to the prequels.

One note, I'll guarantee there was far more green screen than most realized, even your typical network tv show today has tons of digital set extensions and lots of other invisible effects.

That being said, I know that Abrams made an effort to build physical sets and shoot a lot practically and it really showed. I think it's tough to directly compare as the prequels were largely set in Corsucant and other technologically advanced cities, but the grittiness of the environments in TFA grounded it and connected it aesthetically back to the original trilogy. Scenes like the ones where they were planning their attack on the complex housing the weapon really harkened back to the pre-Death Star attack meeting of A New Hope.

The lack of CG characters was also really noticeable and welcome. Outside of Maz, who I thought was incredibly well done, most of the alien characters were practical and it made for a noticeable difference in feel. I'd bet there were more digital characters than we realize, but the lack of over-animated set pieces with them (new musical number in Jedi anyone?) meant they weren't a focal point of the film.
bangobango
AG
Enjoyed it a lot. My thoughts, questions, concerns:

I live the concept of Fin's character. Just a great background for him. I hope he doesn't become just the "damsel" in distress for Rey, though. Can he use the force or no?

Too fast with Rey and her force powers. How would he even know the mind control trick? And her defeating Kylo makes her either way over powered or Kylo kind of ****ty. Her whole rapid progression just bothered me, but maybe that's just because of the prequels.

Is the republic completely destroyed? The size and strength of the first order makes the entire original trilogy seem pointless and for nothing. How did they let the empire build a destroyed seventeen times the size of the deathstar and not do anything about it. Where is the money for all this coming from? Seriously.

Skywalkers need to just be eradicated and or fixed so that they can't reproduce. Every other one is a homicidal maniac with massive force powers. Risk not worth the reward.

Are we sure this new super bad guy is a Sith Lord? Could they be moving away from the limiting Sith dogma of one apprentice one master? I hope so.

Fun movie. Can't wait for the next one.
OnlyForNow
AG
So as the band in the cantina at Maz's a joke?

A
AliasMan02
AG
Novelization confirms that Snoke has been around a while, observing the rise and fall of the Empire. He knows that Vader turned back to the light. He values Kylo because he is a mix if light and dark.
brents1975
The future of the new big three??

Rey - we pretty much know where she's headed. Continue learning how to use the Force. Be trained by Luke and become a powerful Jedi.

Finn - he has displayed no force abilities. He's not a pilot. Where does his story go from here??

Poe - I could see him taking Hans place but he was much less edgy than I thought. He was very goody goody. So he's not the scoundrel that I thought he might be... Not sure where he's headed.

What do y'all think?

NC2001
AG
Just saw the movie. I'll need some time to process what I just saw, but all I can say is wow. I hope JJ Abrams stays as the director. He did a wonderful job with this movie.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Enjoyed it a lot. My thoughts, questions, concerns:

Too fast with Rey and her force powers. How would he even know the mind control trick? And her defeating Kylo makes her either way over powered or Kylo kind of ****ty. Her whole rapid progression just bothered me, but maybe that's just because of the prequels.

I'm certain she had had training, whether she consciously remembers or not.

quote:
Is the republic completely destroyed? The size and strength of the first order makes the entire original trilogy seem pointless and for nothing. How did they let the empire build a destroyed seventeen times the size of the deathstar and not do anything about it. Where is the money for all this coming from? Seriously.

The senators on the capitol world are all dead. Leia was in the process of trying to get the Republic to give formal support to the Resistance. The First Order was operating outside the area of influence of the fledgling republic.

quote:
Are we sure this new super bad guy is a Sith Lord? Could they be moving away from the limiting Sith dogma of one apprentice one master? I hope so.

Probably not a Sith lord. At least not in the conventional sense. The Clone Wars and Rebels have kinda done away with the Rule of 2 in any practical sense, anyway. Fwiw, Snoke calls Ren a student (and not his first), not an apprentice.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
The future of the new big three??

Rey - we pretty much know where she's headed. Continue learning how to use the Force. Be trained by Luke and become a powerful Jedi.

Finn - he has displayed no force abilities. He's not a pilot. Where does his story go from here??

Poe - I could see him taking Hans place but he was much less edgy than I thought. He was very goody goody. So he's not the scoundrel that I thought he might be... Not sure where he's headed.

What do y'all think?

Rey and Poe are siblings
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm still not clear on the Rebels vs Resistance and Empire vs First Order thing. What's the pecking order in this universe? Did the Rebel Alliance not actually do anything with their victory over the empire in ROTJ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.