*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,419 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
MrPlow2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know if that storm trooper that let Rey free and dropped his gun was played by Daniel Craig? I heard it was but I'm not sure
HeadGames
AG
Agreed, I watched empire strikes back last night. Still amazing. Still not close to empire.
lunchbox
Almost forgot....I loved the clunk sound BB-8 made every time he landed in the Falcon.

Just added to the realism.
Ag Since 83
AG
Please everybody flag the "Han Solo dies" thread so they delete it and it doesn't get ruined for others
Jim01
AG
I agree questions are left (who's the old man, what woke up R2) but unexpected that from a movie with known sequels.

Agree it is definitely top 3. Too fresh to rate more accurately than that.

I was glad Snoke was just a hologram. Initially I thought "WTF. There's a giant Jedi?" Hopefully when/if we see him in person they will have tighetened it up. He did look fake but since it was a hologram I was willing to buy in.
COOL LASER FALCON
The one on the GB too
Ag Since 83
AG
Yeah at first I was weirded out by how big he was, then relieved to see it was just a huge hologram like the Emperor in ESB

Teacher_Ag
AG
Don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. Loved it. A few lame CGI moments but nothing within the same vicinity as 1-3.

It set up 8 so nicely to be a badass movie that I'm honestly a bit bummed that it won't be in the hands of JJ. Let's hope 8 can be the ESB of this trilogy.

Aggies better make use of a BB8 Gig'em meme.
Jim01
AG
I saw Lupita Nuyongo in the credits. Who was she? I don't remember seeing her anywhere.
lunchbox
She was Maz
COOL LASER FALCON
She was Maz.

Speaking of Maz, do we know if she survived for sure? I bet we see her again.
Jim01
AG
I am horrible with names. Maz was the alien who ran the watering hole?
fightinags2013
AG
My only two gripes:
Repeating the "super weapon of power" plot device.
Wasn't a big Carrie Fischer fan.

Still loved it though! Cannot wait to see the future Rey/Luke relationship develop in Ep 8.

Swarely
To be fair, once you do something awesome people expect you to top it. I mean the USA has been to the moon. People expect us to go to Mars now.

But how in the **** do you build a super weapon planet without people finding out? The bothan spies really dropped the ball on that one.
lunchbox
quote:
My only two gripes:

Still loved it though! Cannot wait to see the future Rey/Luke relationship develop in Ep 8.

Again - Do you think a large bureaucratic org like the First Order is going to come up with new ideas or just keep trying to perfect the old tired ones?
lunchbox
quote:
I am horrible with names. Maz was the alien who ran the watering hole?
Correct
Ag Since 83
AG
Favorite nod to the old movies: Finn (I think) finding the old practice droid from A New Hope on the Falcon
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
She was Maz.

Speaking of Maz, do we know if she survived for sure? I bet we see her again.
I almost guarantee they built her in as part of a vehicle for the young Han Solo movie.
HeadGames
AG
In the background the pilot helmet with the blastshield Luke used was hanging on the wall still.
h1ag
AG
1) I thought ANH was a little more neatly tied together. Which makes sense now that SW is a guaranteed money maker, as opposed to back in the 70s when Lucas was filming the bombing runs in an LA back alley. You could watch Ep. 4 and nothing else and feel satisfied that you had been on a nice, complete adventure. TFA definitely felt more ESB just in its open-endedness.
2) Kylo Ren: I feel like this is EXACTLY what what's his name should have been shooting for in RotS. Conflicted, giving into raw emotions time and again, recognizing that there was a conflict inside him. That being said, I think it's a little too obvious if the great big end of the new trilogy is for him to finally find redemption at the end of Ep. 9 at the hands of Rey. I think it wouldn't be a bad plot turn to have him return to the light side in the next film. Have Luke take him back, a sacrifice for the group, something. Better than "REY! I AM YOUR COUSINNNN!"
Overall, I laughed, I cried, I pooped my pants a little 10/10 WB. Plus, here in Tucson, a 400 pound Mexican guy dressed up as a mariachi Jedi, complete with 4 ft sombrero and a mullet tied back into a Jedi rat tail.
Swarely
From another forum I'm on:

quote:
Kylo Ren is pretty much what I wanted prequel Anakin to be.

I think that nails it.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Any non-Star Wars fan boys (and no, I don't use the word "fanboys" with any sort of negative connotations) here? Would be curious to hear what you thought.

I'm not a fan boy and I loved it. Such a fun movie and a great movie going experience. Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac are two of my favorite actors, so I really enjoyed them, and I though Daisy and John did great as the new leads. There were some cheesy lines, but cheesy in a Star Wars kind of way, so it didn't bother me. I don't have any plot complaints as they touched on all the oldies and gave the new characters plenty of story.
Vade281
AG
Some jerk posted spoilers as a title thread in the nerdery forums
jr15aggie
AG
I was surprised and disappointed there was no new intro music or anything. I think I would have preferred a nice John Williams piece with Disney Logo, then Lucasfilm, and then silence as we case into "a long time ago...."

The silent Lucasfilm right into the usual was a bit strange. The Fox fanfare was always this great epic trumpet sounds to let is know it's go time. Something to replace that would have been nice.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I loved that Poe (the best X-Wing pilot in the Resistance) was shocked at the power when piloting the TIE fighter. I've heard for a long time that the TIE fighters were supposed to be highly maneuverable and fast, but it was cool to hear a character confirm it.
lunchbox
He did seem to know a lot about how to shoot the guns in the tie fighter though.
birdman
I thought I saw Maz at Leia's base, after Rey was kidnapped. But there were tons of people moving around. She didn't have any dialogue, just somebody in the background.

The bad guys left once they captured Rey. So if she survived the initial attack, she'd be fine.

My biggest gripe would be Capt Phasma. The scene were they turned off the shields should have been better. Her resisting and Solo or Finn torturing her would work.

Bigger problem was that she was just forgotten. We never saw if Solo killed her or she escaped. Very strange and poorly handled. They could have used her as hostage/shield. Explosions, boom. Good guys move on. Phasma in rubble, survival unknown.

All of what I typed might be baloney. Easy for me to miss something, The Force Awakens moves at breakneck speed.
tx4guns
AG
"Her resisting and Solo or Finn torturing her would work. "

Please go on...
DB Coach
AG
I absolutely enjoyed it....would put it up in the midst of the OT....not sure where, but definitely close to the top. I really need to see it again. Finn was a great addition and I am excited to see his story unfold along with Rey's. Absolutely fantastic art, graphics and environments. I loved the set pieces! Top notch cast!

Some notes:

• The children crying in the basement...was that from the younglings that Anakin killed with that saber?
  • I know I heard Obi Wan say "Rey".
  • Finn pulled the practice orb out of a bucket on the Falcon
  • Rey was already an ass-kicker, doesn't matter what weapon she has
  • Finn was obviously trained in hand to hand as a stormtrooper
  • That's all there was for Captain Phasma?
  • Rey HAS to be Luke's daughter....he and Leia were the last ones. There were no other Jedi/family of Jedi left after RoTJ.

My only real question/concern about continuity:

If the sun was drained of all it's energy and went black, why was it not dark on the planet when they returned from the fight at the end? They were in the same system.
h1ag
AG
Damn you Swarely. You post a quote from someone else that is exactly what I was thinking, at the exact time I posted, and you get all the blue stars. I feel like going Kylo Ren on my computer right now.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
My only annoyances:

They harped on Ren being a Solo a bit too much to me. After the reveal, a casual mention to it or two would be fine but this felt heavy handed. Not a huge gripe but it is there for me.

CGI squids.

The planet splitting apart PERFECTLY between Ren and Rey.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Oh, in regards to Rey beating Ren... two very viable explanations:

Ren was injured and not up to par... plausible.

My thoughts... Rey, being a Skywalker, was trained in the force early on but blocked it out when Ren went berserk. The light saber jogged her memory and she was able to use the force after. Why do I think this? Simple... because she used the jedi mind tricks on the storm trooper and was able to resist Ren's torture. Both of those force uses were before the light saber. I think she was a very young force user who had been trained but was not truly proficient at that age. Otherwise, she wouldn't have known to do the mind trick... that is the real key for me.
AGC
AG
quote:
quote:
My only two gripes:

Again - Do you think a large bureaucratic org like the First Order is going to come up with new ideas or just keep trying to perfect the old tired ones?

"It's not our fault! It's the damn characters we wrote! They just have no originality!"

But seriously. I checked out when I realized I was watching the same movie.
h1ag
AG
One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I just remembered (last post tonight, promise)

I'll interested to see where the First Order goes after the Nuremburg Rally speech. I was thinking "This is mighty Nazi of them" right as they gave the ole one arm straight up salute. Gleeson was channeling the Fuhrer a little too closely for them to just let that go, IMHO.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Oh, in regards to Rey beating Ren... two very viable explanations:

Ren was injured and not up to par... plausible.

My thoughts... Rey, being a Skywalker, was trained in the force early on but blocked it out when Ren went berserk. The light saber jogged her memory and she was able to use the force after. Why do I think this? Simple... because she used the jedi mind tricks on the storm trooper and was able to resist Ren's torture. Both of those force uses were before the light saber. I think she was a very young force user who had been trained but was not truly proficient at that age. Otherwise, she wouldn't have known to do the mind trick... that is the real key for me.
I think this answers how good she was so quick.

When she had the "dream" it was obvious she was there at Kylo's betrayal and either has blocked it out due to trauma or Luke did it to her so she wouldn't remember the force (because of his own failure)

Overall the only annoying thing was the squid guys. Also Gwendoline Christie was poorly used.

Rey was phenomenal and pretty much outshined everyone else in the movie. Very positive female role model for all the girls out there and even the boys. Poe's first line to Kylo was a little jarring at first because it seemed so out of left field in terms of Star Wars but I LOVED it. The Poe and Finn bromance needs to continue. I was shocked when Snoke was so giant but was relieved when he was just a hologram.

Yes it was on the nose being a parallel to ANH, but honestly didn't think about it in the moment and just enjoyed it. The effects were insane and they did a great job with the practical effects and CGI. The dog fights were great and visceral and the fight between Rey and Kylo was great because they both honestly weren't that great. OT lightsaber fights look pretty ****ty honestly and the PT were flawless (but a little mechanical). The fight felt realistic between two relatively amateur fighters.

Still grinning and can't wait for episode 8!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.