*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,741 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
TelcoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wish I had a camera on myself while I was watching it. I'm petty sure I had the biggest ****-eating grin on my face from the time they boarded the falcon to the time it came out the other end of the imperial destroyer.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
I don't remember much (any?) blood in Episodes 1-6 of the series. Even Luke getting his arm chopped off was bloodless.
There was blood in ANH in the cantina scene after Ben chops off the alien's arm.
AggieSouth06
Should we do Episode VIII speculation here, or is it appropriate to start a new thread? Can't use the "SW Discussion" thread because there's no way to speculate without spoilers.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The droid please line really turned me off to the Finn character and hoped that he would die at the end
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I don't remember much (any?) blood in Episodes 1-6 of the series. Even Luke getting his arm chopped off was bloodless. I thought it was a really interesting choice to show blood on FN's stormtropper helmet right away. Seemed to raise the stakes a little.
The only time I can remember any blood was when Maul was halved by Kenobi in TPM. Even then, the wound seemed to cauterize straight away because of the heat from the lightsaber. Much in the same way that Luke's arm was cauterized after Vader cut off his hand and how Qui-Gon's hole in his chest wasn't bleeding either. Another instance was the arm Kenobi lopped off in the catina in ANH, but there was also minimal blood as well.

The only thing that I can think of is that they are making it where blaster bolts basically explode when they hit a target rather than hitting and completely cauterizing the would. Even when Kylo caught what appeared to be a glancing blow from Chewie's bowcaster, he seemed to bleed a bit.
Urban Ag
AG
Being a Star Wars fan is like being an Aggie. You have high, lofty expectations. You get let down. A JFF comes out of nowhere. Then you get let down again.

But you'll be back. You can never turn your back on it. You'll will drink that Maroon/Star Wars koolaide again and you know it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Should we do Episode VIII speculation here, or is it appropriate to start a new thread? Can't use the "SW Discussion" thread because there's no way to speculate without spoilers.
People have been throwing out speculation in this thread. I'd say fire away.
The Collective
AG
Well, some of you are better adults than me. Perhaps, my pregaming helped, but I was ****ing sucked into that movie like a kid. When Rey force pulled the saber, even though I expected it, it took me back to being a kid. That sequence was incredible.
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:

This is my cue to never open this thread again.
israeliag
AG
There's also some blood when Luke chops the yeti's arm off in ESB.

Not exactly blood, but showing Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru scrotched in ANH was pretty graphic.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't remember much (any?) blood in Episodes 1-6 of the series. Even Luke getting his arm chopped off was bloodless. I thought it was a really interesting choice to show blood on FN's stormtropper helmet right away. Seemed to raise the stakes a little.

I remember thinking, "that's a really cool way to differentiate this guy from every other stormtrooper in the scene." It was well done.

Also, I'm not even mad about Death Star 3. Yeah it was blown up, again, but it took out 5 planets. It had 5x the success of the original, so that has to count for something.
That's exactly why it was done. You have now identified that trooper as an individual and can recognize him later, and it was smartly done.

I actually noticed a lot of that in the film. maybe a bit simplistic at times. There'd be a line of dialogue explicitly mentioning something or an action a character would take, and a bit later we'd see some sort of callback to that line.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think this is the place for speculation for now, as discussion of Episode VII and speculation of VIII should go together.
AggieSouth06
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't think there's any actual information out there to spoil. The only thing we know is that Benicio Del Traffic is in it playing an unspecified something.
israeliag
AG
I know it's been mentioned thoroughly that having Rey be Luke's daughter feels like a cop out, but considering how force-sensitive she was to me it'd be a cop-out to NOT have her be his daughter.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Ah yes, that's right.
AggieSouth06
What if she's Luke AND Leia's daughter -- conceived before ROTJ -- and the reason the hid her wasn't to protect her, but because HOLY S*** NOBODY CAN EVER KNOW ABOUT THIS.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I know it's been mentioned thoroughly that having Rey be Luke's daughter feels like a cop out, but considering how force-sensitive she was to me it'd be a cop-out to NOT have her be his daughter.
Agreed. I think that the question will eventually move away from whether or not she is Luke's daughter, but assuming she is Luke's daughter who is her mother?

I also think that the dynamic of her and Kylo being cousins rather than siblings would be interesting. We already had the siblings thing, and Anakin and Kenobi were like brother so I think cousins is the next logical step here.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Why? Nobody here knows anything.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Please no.
The Collective
AG
quote:
What if she's Luke AND Leia's daughter -- conceived before ROTJ -- and the reason the hid her wasn't to protect her, but because HOLY S*** NOBODY CAN EVER KNOW ABOUT THIS.

Or maybe, after ROTJ...
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:

Or maybe, after ROTJ...
Luke: Hey, Leia. Ever heard the story of our cousins Cersei and Jamie Lannister?
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
Agreed. I think that the question will eventually move away from whether or not she is Luke's daughter, but assuming she is Luke's daughter who is her mother?

I also think that the dynamic of her and Kylo being cousins rather than siblings would be interesting. We already had the siblings thing, and Anakin and Kenobi were like brother so I think cousins is the next logical step here.
MARA JADE OR GTFO
agracer
AG
How can anyone be confused about Snoke being a hologram...even after the movie my kids and nephew all said they were relieved when he disappeared and he was a hologram and not some giant being.

He disappeared TWICE on screen....
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or maybe, after ROTJ...
Luke: Hey, Leia. Ever heard the story of our cousins Cersei and Jamie Lannister?
More like the Targarreyans - keeping the blood lines pure.
YellowPot_97
AG
And rocks fell through him as the weapon was overloading!
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:

Are there any options we know of right now for her mother? Mon Mothma (no chance)? Phasma?

Could she also have been conceived like Jesus Anakin? Considering Kylo was a dark-sider being pulled to the light, maybe the Force is actually now out of balance (as opposed to when Qui-Gon thought it was), and Rey is the prophesied one? (I don't think this personally.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Does Rey have any lines before she rescues BB-8? I'm pretty sure she's completely silent until that scene. If so, she has a pretty interesting first line (after BB-8 says his name and mission are classified): "Classified? Yeah, me too. I'm a big secret."
She goes to the place where she sells her findings before finding BB-8. Her first dialogue is the exchange about the stuff being worth a quarter portion.
agracer
AG
quote:

THE CONTRIVANCES AWAKEN

If I had to point to one, glaring, overarching issue that kept me from truly enjoying the experience, it would be the series of massive, ridiculously convenient coincidences Abrams masquerades as "plot." The first 20 or so minutes had me hooked. The opening village raid (Kylo stopping that laser was one of the coolest moments of the movie), all the way through Rey and Finn meeting at the depot in Jakku, was just pitch-perfect blockbuster filmmaking. That was a nearly flawless first act. For me, though, the first signs of unraveling were when Rey and Finn just so happened upon the Millennium Falcon. Ten minutes earlier (in the film), Finn had just been told by Poe that he needed to get back to his droid on Jakku, a droid who had a map to the whereabouts of the mythical Luke Skywalker. And then soon after, on that same planet, Finn and Rey just so happen upon the very ship that began Luke Skywalker's journey all those years ago.

Did you miss the part where Han specifically said he and Chewie were looking for the Falcon in that area of space b/c it had been stolen ..... no offense, but I think your review is way off base and you're just looking to be contradictory for the sake of attention.

Abrams packed A LOT into the first film, if he'd have tried to explain Luke's saber in the film it would have added 30m, or been a quick explanation that left the audiences even less satisfied.
Dro07
AG
no we don't know who the mom is. Theories are that it could be Phasma and she was reconditioned when she went after Luke when he was attacked by the Knights of Ren
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:
Does Rey have any lines before she rescues BB-8? I'm pretty sure she's completely silent until that scene. If so, she has a pretty interesting first line (after BB-8 says his name and mission are classified): "Classified? Yeah, me too. I'm a big secret."
She goes to the place where she sells her findings before finding BB-8. Her first dialogue is the exchange about the stuff being worth a quarter portion.
I don't think she actually speaks in that scene. She has a dialogue with Unkar Plutt on the second encounter (when she has BB-8 in tow).

I'll watch for this on my next viewing, but I'm almost positive her first line is that she's a big secret.
Carlo4
AG
quote:
quote:
As soon as we saw the exchange between Poe and Kylo ("Who talks first, you talk first or I talk first?") I instantly knew the tone was back to where it needed to be. Star Wars was always supposed to be funny.
yes! And as someone pointed out 30 pages ago Poe probably knew Kylo as Han and Leia's whiny emo kid from the old days so the line was coated in disrespect.

With Harrison Ford gone will a lot of pressure will be on Oscar Isaac to carry the movie or will there be a new character to fill the role? Or will they not go there. It will be a big discussion point

Lando....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS
Ag Since 83
AG
Pretty sure her first spoken line is in an alien language to the guy who catches BB-8 in the net (Tito?). Her first line in Basic is then to BB-8

Some coworkers have talked me into seeing it in 3D in a couple hours. 3 viewings in 5 days...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If that's the case, then her first line would be "Where do you come from?"
israeliag
AG
quote:
no we don't know who the mom is. Theories are that it could be Phasma and she was reconditioned when she went after Luke when he was attacked by the Knights of Ren
Right, not saying we do just what are the options (i.e. Phasma).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.