*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,548 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
update from 3-year-old twin land: Now that we have The Force Awakens squeezable yogurts with character pictures on the side, my girls have finally realized that Finn from Star Wars and Sven from Frozen are not the same person (or reindeer).

Big, if true
wangus12
AG
quote:

2- if the sub hadn't gone out would Kylo still have killed Han?
Yes. When he says he wants his pain to end, he means he wants to extinguish the lightness inside him. He doesn't know if he is strong enough to kill his own father.
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
I guess I'm confused... I'm a huge Star Wars fan living in the supposedly racist/sexist state of Texas, and I have yet to see anyone outraged about the inclusion of a black stormtrooper or a strong female character. In fact, what I've seen are nearly unanimous compliments for the excellent castings. The only comments regarding the race and gender of the main characters has been to specifically note that Abrams did not seem like he was pandering or filling a quota.

did anybody else think back to Chasing Amy while reading this?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Sad over Dumbledore? Nope. Dobie? Real tears, man.
Are we talking about the t.u. library or the Pasadena high school?
jeffk
AG
quote:

Seriously, show some respect - it's DOBBY!

And he's a hero!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I never read the books and even I got a little sad when he died in the movie.
JetAg
AG
Not sure if this has been linked yet, but it's a great companion to the movie...it basically gives you a little more info from the book on things the movie had to skip over due to time constraints. Interesting read.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/29/force-awakens-novel/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#ySl1h6IKUPqB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
9. Did whoever left Rey on Jakku mean to come back for her?

Apparently, yes. Rey hears a mysterious voice, a recognizable but mysterious one, at the end of her lightsaber vision:

Once more she climbed to her feet, her chilled breath preceding her. From in front of her, not far away, came the sounds of battle: the cries of the wounded and the clashing of weapons. Then behind her, another voice. That voice.

"Stay here. I'll come back for you."

She whirled, glazed eyes desperately scanning the dark gaps between the slender trees, trying to penetrate the darkness. "Where are you?" She started running toward the voice.

"I'll come back, sweetheart. I promise."
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I never read the books and even I got a little sad when he died in the movie.
As someone who watched the movies in passing, I was like "Well, that sucks." I had to ask my friend who he was because I honestly didn't know.
Ag Since 83
AG

22. Does Kylo Ren know something about Rey that she doesn't?
The fact that Rey is able to dislodge Luke's lightsaber from the snow before Kylo Ren certainly seems to confirm in his mind that she's someone in particular:
quote:
Rey appeared equally shocked that her reach for the device had exceeded his. She gazed down at the weapon now resting in her grip.
"It is you," Ren murmured.
His words unsettled her: Not for the first time, he seemed to know more about her than she did about herself.

I think it would be interesting if part of what drove Ren over the edge to the dark side is his jealousy of this younger girl (his sister, cousin, whatever) showing up at the Academy much more powerful than him. In fact, if they're not related at all, it would make a lot of sense because he probably views being the most powerful Jedi as his birthright.
COOL LASER FALCON
That also fits with the multiple times he tried to tell people how powerful she is.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
It's Dobby dammit

jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw this on youtube and thought it would spark some discussion.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
9. Did whoever left Rey on Jakku mean to come back for her?

Apparently, yes. Rey hears a mysterious voice, a recognizable but mysterious one, at the end of her lightsaber vision:

Once more she climbed to her feet, her chilled breath preceding her. From in front of her, not far away, came the sounds of battle: the cries of the wounded and the clashing of weapons. Then behind her, another voice. That voice.

"Stay here. I'll come back for you."

She whirled, glazed eyes desperately scanning the dark gaps between the slender trees, trying to penetrate the darkness. "Where are you?" She started running toward the voice.

"I'll come back, sweetheart. I promise."

Is her dad Humphrey Bogart?
InnerCityAg
quote:
Saw this on youtube and thought it would spark some discussion.

Is he saying Yoda and Luke got gay?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Is he saying Yoda and Luke got gay?
I seriously doubt that. I think the implication is that Rey is the legacy Jedi of Luke who was taught by Yoda.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Today's hypothetical:

Situation 1: You get to see Episode VIII in its completed form tomorrow, but you can't talk about it to anyone in any form until the movie comes out in May 2017. If you do say or post anything, you never get to see Episode IX, ever.

Situation 2: You get advanced knowledge that A&M will win the 2016 National Title (in football), but you can't tell anyone about it or wager on it in any way. If you do either of those things, you have to watch the 77-0 loss to OU every Saturday for 12 hours straight for the rest of your life.

Which do you pick?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Two, definitely situation two.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Today's hypothetical:

Situation 1: You get to see Episode VIII in its completed form tomorrow, but you can't talk about it to anyone in any form until the movie comes out in May 2017. If you do say or post anything, you never get to see Episode IX, ever.

Situation 2: You get advanced knowledge that A&M will win the 2016 National Title (in football), but you can't tell anyone about it or wager on it in any way. If you do either of those things, you have to watch the 77-0 loss to OU every Saturday for 12 hours straight for the rest of your life.

Which do you pick?

I would have no problem being the only one knowing TAMU won a NC.....I'd be a major jackass on Texags for a solid year....totally snarky and overly positive without giving it away!!!!! question: can i "predict" we will win the NC on texags so i look like a genius after the fact? i mean 100s of idiots do it every year anyway.

Anyway even if i can't predict anything...it would be sweet relief and make watching the season unfold and the texags drama humorous (even moreso than usual). I could handle that.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, it would be easy to sit on the Natty information. Especially since the 77-0 punishment is way worse than just not seeing IX.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'd take Star Wars over A&M football in a minute, flame away.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Well, given the year we've had it was a difficult choice.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That is the easiest hypothetical of all time.

In the first, you not only have to keep quiet about the movie, but you rob yourself of the experience if watching the movie with a crowd of fans.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
they would be more equal if the punishment in situation 2 was you never got to watch another aggie game EVER. or the punishment in situation 1 was having to watch jar jar binks every week for 12 hours.

i'd still pick 2....because in the case that the aggies win a NC in my lifetime i would die happy anyway.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Option 1. A&M football is way ``more important to me than Star Wars and if they were to win a natty, I want to live every second of it live with no pre knowledge.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
they would be more equal if the punishment in situation 2 was you never got to watch another aggie game EVER. or the punishment in situation 1 was having to watch jar jar binks every week for 12 hours.

i'd still pick 2....because in the case that the aggies win a NC in my lifetime i would die happy anyway.

This. It's more about the punishment than the reward. Regardless if your preference is for Star Wars v. Aggie Football, 12 hours of bad football every Saturday in perpetuity is a lot worse than just not seeing the movie.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:

I too think you should be more of a Reddit user.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Never been to Reddit before, don't plan on starting now!

And as for never watching another A&M game ever, based on the past 2 years, I think that would be a reward.

EDIT - I'd also take Star Wars so I could shoot TC down every time he's wrong for 18 months (Just kidding, big guy)
TelcoAg
AG
I would happily never watch a Star Wars movie for the rest of my life if I could relive the 2012 football season every year. No natty required.

Also, you're on TexAgs, was my point. Seems like an odd venue to find people who don't like Texas A&M athletics.
bearamedic99
AG
Sorry TLL. I skipped pages 35 thru 54.

I saw it twice and enjoyed but feel like JJ is great at making reboots of old movies that have similar plot devices but not the same heart though some of that may just be changes in culture since the originals were filmed.

I was very disappointed in only seeing TIE fighters and X-wings in action. No B-wings, A-wings, TIE interceptors, etc. Hopefully, the next movie will have more space battles and more capital ship battles.

*I could not find any talk here about the trooper who takes on Finn when Finn first uses the lightsaber. The trooper throws down a shield and something else to whip out his shock baton. This was the only time we see this type of trooper; what type of trooper was he?

*Also, did they nerf lightsabers? Previously, Obi-wan and tha gang gave the impression that a lightsaber could cut through most things like hot knife through butter but in TFA, several people take slices from L-sabers that are only partial thickness.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
the stormtrooper is a crowd control type, and his weapon is similar to what Grievous' magna guards use in revenge of the sith. It can block a lighstaber with its energy component, but it's not doing any damage to a saber, and it looks like it can only shock, not kill.

Not sure what "partial thickness" is, you might want to consult your physician on that front.
AccountantAg
AG
quote:
Today's hypothetical:

Which do you pick?

Does the advanced knowledge change the outcome of the NC?

If A&M were to win it in 2016 no matter what id rather watch Star Wars right now and be surprised with the football results. The whole fun of sports is the unknown results.

If A&M had won a NC the year before I was born, I would have zero interest in watching any game from that season today. If I had been able to watch it live I might watch the replay just to relive the moment though.

redline248
AG
They were just flesh wounds
jabberwalkie09
AG
While I was slightly disappointed that only the X-wing was present, the A-wing has been in service since at least Star Wars Rebels. So by the time that TFA rolls around, they would be roughly 40 year old tech. Not only that, but in the EU/Legends they weren't exactly the most reliable fighters either. I was more saddened that B-Wings weren't present.

The trooper with the electrified baton thing was a riot trooper.

I doubt they nerfed lightsabers, but rather most of them had glancing blows from their battles and wasn't close enough like Kenobi was in TPM to outright cut someone in half.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.