*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,508 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
F'ing amazing! THAT's what a Star Wars movie should be!

As soon as the crawl started I could feel the midichlorians rushing to my loins!
Ag Since 83
AG
Way, WAY better than any of the prequels.

I feel a little weird about the fact it was basically the plot of Episode IV, but it was so well done and so funny. Loved the new leads.
Swarely
No Lando? Can there only be one black guy in the galaxy at a time? Are you telling me that Billy Dee Williams doesn't need some of that sweet Star Wars money?
Ag Since 83
AG
Hey there was a black X-wing pilot
Simplebay
AG
In. Incredible. Wow.
hurleyag
AG
Just got home! I rank it 3rd on my brash judgement. Well add more after I think about it more.

InternetFan02
AG
I ****ing loved this movie. What an experience! Sold out theater with so many opportunities for applause as they introduced all the characters.

The scenery! The costumes! None of that prequel CGI crap! Beautiful! Authentic!

Adam Driver is a badass! Fully equipped to play the conflicted villain. You all should watch Girls. I saw this coming.

Harrison Ford stole the show as usual.

Funniest Star Wars ever.

I'm in love with Daisy Ridley

Yeah it's pretty much the same plot as Episode IV

John Boyega is the weak link of the new cast but light years ahead of every prequel character.

There will never be another Han Solo. A little worried about episode 9, 10 without him. Oscar Isaac has some potential.
redd38
AG
I'm probably alone here, but I didn't love the casting of Adam Driver. Or maybe I didn't love the casting of Adam Driver's hair. Either way, I think they could have done better.
Ag Since 83
AG
What exactly made R2 wake up? The explanation I was expecting was that Luke woke him up now that the Force had "awoken."
AG
I was impressed with Adam Driver. When I heard the creepy boyfriend from HBO's Girls was cast, I had reservations. He fit the role.

Great movie, and like a poster said above, I wish the prequels would be redone.
jograki
AG
Wonderfully done. With each major character entrance, my theater broke outbid cheers and applause.

BB8's thumbs up was hilarious!
Swarely
quote:
Loved it. Now I know what it must of been like to watch Empire for the first time. Talk about cliff hanger! I'm not sure I can wait another 2 years for the next.

That was my exact thought walking out of the theater. After Episode I i never looked forward to another prequel. I was spoiled by having the original trilogy all there already growing up.

Did it bother anyone else that Leia and Chewbacca just walked right past each other at the end? I don't want to go full Comic Book Guy, but that was his best friend that he owed a life debt to (is that still canon?) and love of her life and they don't even share a glance?

That C3PO introduction though. I laughed pretty hard at that.
jr15aggie
AG
After everyone is done drooling, I have things to discuss... this is serious business folks. But yeah, it was awesome. Here's my immediate list of topics to discuss / questions:

• When Rey had her force dream, I'm almost positive I heard old Obi-Wans voice calling out "Rey!". And that dream sequence sure does make it seem like Rey is definitely Luke's kid.
  • So Kylo's real name is Ben. I think in the old books it was Luke who had a kid named Ben Skywalker, so that's an interesting/good choice and nod to the old EU.

My only big dislikes of the movie:

• The octopus things were the only low point of the movie... bad CG and a poor choice with everything else feeling so organic. It's the reason why the prequels failed an the reason why that scene failed
  • I thought the helmet design/camera angle for the X-Wing pilots was sloppy... more than once that angled part of the lens made it look like the pilots had multiple eyes.

Plenty of unexplained questions for sure. We knew they weren't going to answer them all in one movie. Can't wait for the dialogue after more people see the movie and pick up on all the things the internet figures out.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I loved it. Every part. Did anyone else see the two guys from the Raid: Redemption when Finn and Rey met Han?
Yep. I knew they had been cast and I was hoping they'd be some kind of bad-ass Sith apprentice or something. But, at least they got to be in a Star Wars movie.....

I loved this movie.

If you are in a Star Wars movie, and you have to venture out onto some narrow gangway high up off the ground.....don't do it. Something bad is going to happen to you.

My minor (and I mean minor) quibbles:

- I don't like 3D. Not something the movie could help. Just an observation.
- I wish they final battle hadn't been another X-Wing assault on a planet-sized weapon that ends with the whole thing exploding as the heroes fly away.
- In a movie stocked full of new characters, I wish Capt. Phasma had been given more than three lines. And she better have made it off the planet.
- that's about it.

Other observations:

- I KNEW GENERAL HUX LOOKED LIKE A WEASLEY!!!!! Domnhall Gleeson was Bill Weasley in the HP flicks.
-I had to check imdb and saw that there was a double for Chewbacca. At the Red Carpet premiere,Peter Mayhew could not walk without a cane. I get the feeling he did not have much screen time, as Chewie showed a lot more dexterity than ever before.
-I saw several of Abram's regulars (like Greg Grunberg) and some others who were on Lost.

Well, I'll be seeing this for the second time 14 hours from now.
TajMaballer
AG
I felt like I was in a sitcom with every OT character entrance.
InternetFan02
AG
The moment I knew this movie would be different than the prequels - Oscar Isaac: "how do we do this do I talk first or you?"

Prequels didn't have a character like that.

Biggest applause moments in theater:

"Chewie, We're home"

Millennium Falcon reveal on Jakku

Rey force-grabs the light saber
Hickory High
AG
Any non-Star Wars fan boys (and no, I don't use the word "fanboys" with any sort of negative connotations) here? Would be curious to hear what you thought.
MBAR
AG
Question, who is the old guy at the start that has Luke's map?

But yeah, 10 out of 10 man. Absolutely loved it. JJ Abrams is probably my favorite director/producer with all the amazing things he's made that I love. This just keeps adding to it.
Simplebay
AG
Driver, Rey, BB8. all superstars now
YellowPot_97
AG
Who was the old man that Kylo killed at the beginning? He seems familiar but I can't place him.
Ag Since 83
AG
Max von Sydow
AG
I know it was Max Von Sydow. Didn't know he was in it. He played Ming the Merciless and Jesus.
YellowPot_97
AG
But who was the character?
hurleyag
AG
I will say I don't see where Finn's story will go now. He had no distinguishable skills. His future is the one I am most excited to see.

I didn't like how fast Rey was able to master mind control or over power Kylo in the lightsaber battle. It took Luke almost 3 movies and training from Yoda to do what she did.

Poe will probably be my favorite character moving forward. He has the quibs of Han in the OT and is a badass pilot.

Kylo goes from a fierce wielding badass that looks unstoppable until he fights a Finn and Rey. I guess that could be attributed to his injury so I'll let it side.

Needless to say I can't wait until VIII!!
redd38
AG
quote:
When Rey had her force dream, I'm almost positive I heard old Obi-Wans voice calling out "Rey!". And that dream sequence sure does make it seem like Rey is definitely Luke's kid.

I was thinking it was pretty obvious that she's got to be Luke's kid. I thought they were going to have a, "Luke, you are my father" moment at the end.
wangus12
AG
Amazing. 10/10 for me.

I'll agree the the CGI squid things were the low point, but it was brief enough to not distract from anything. Ridley and Boyega are going to do great things with this trilogy.

I knew Han's death was officially coming the moment they said it was his son. Just sat there helpless as he walked to his death and out of our lives. Someone actually yelled "**** no" in our movie. I think it'll open up time for Oscar Isaac to get his due as a lead.

I honestly couldn't help but root for Ren a little bit in the final battle. I just don't see how he could be outclassed by someone who'd never held the blade before. He'll be on the side of light before this is over.

No idea what Snoke was supposed to be or where he came from. The movie certainly left me with so many questions. I'm already pumped for Episode 8. Marathon was the way to go today. Fans were great.

I also agree the Rey is Luke's kid. I was almost expecting a "Welcome home, my child/daughter"
Bruce Almighty
AG
My only real complaint was the Falcon starting up after sitting in a junk yard for years. If I'm going to rip Battlefield Earth for it, it's only fair I do it to Star Wars.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
I didn't like how fast Rey was able to master mind control or over power Kylo in the lightsaber battle. It took Luke almost 3 movies and training from Yoda to do what she did.

This. Can't get past this. As soon as I saw that saver fly past Kylo to Rey, I audibly said "oh, please". The whole fight was very eye-rolly.
tommyjohn
A ****ing homerun.

Lucas' ego has to be hurt after seeing it. The cash probably helps but it has to chap his backside just a little.

Things I didn't like

Carrie Fisher was terrible
A little too predictable
Arc of the story did seem the same as ANH
Outcome Battle btwn Kolo and Ren considering she just picked up a light saber for the first time

Vade281
AG
Loved it. Seeing again in IMAX on Saturday
tommyjohn
Kylo Ren will always be Kolo to me...blame the Toure's.
Vade281
AG
She did know how to use that staff....and Kylo was injured. Probably a little exaggerated but still believable.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I got the impression that Ren was nothing more than a whiney little ***** that was still a noob that didn't know what he was doing and still making a lot of mistakes. He wore a helmet to cover up that he was not that intimidating.
Bruce Almighty
AG
And I agree that Carrie Fisher was weak
Swarely
I really enjoyed the chemistry between Poe and Fin. I hope they get paired up a lot in the next movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.