*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

381,840 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah...and Star Trek is probably way more popular today than it was before JJ got involved.
JJxvi
AG
Star Trek films have been screwed for 20 years, JJ Abrams certainly didn't have anything to do with that. I've only seen his first Trek movie and it was basically a competent enjoyable reboot film just like TFA is. The overall tone and style fits whats expected of Star Wars much better than what is expected of Star Trek though. I'd say even though he did similar things with both, his Star Wars film is excellent while his first Star Trek film was only good.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
quote:
Read a lot of grumbling in other sandboxes that some critics/people aren't liking this movie. Also blaming Jj for screwing two sci fi franchises now..

How can you not like this movie of you are a Star Wars fan?

It was fun but not a great movie.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
13 rejected ideas for TFA from "The Making of ..." book. Underwater Death Star is my new band name.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/13-story-ideas-that-were-dropped-from-star-wars-the-fo-1749962882
An even better, more expansive breakdown from Slash Film...

http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-changes/

Shows just how fluid the entire development process was. Definitely makes me want to order the Art of book.
Knife_Party
I've seen the Star Trek movies and TFA and don't get the hate. At all. Were you not entertained?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's also no sound in space.

It's fantasy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, strongly considering it also.
TCTTS
AG
Just pulled the trigger.
Ulrich
quote:
Read a lot of grumbling in other sandboxes that some critics/people aren't liking this movie. Also blaming Jj for screwing two sci fi franchises now..

That doesn't surprise me a whole lot. TFA does have some failures in terms of making a great film. It has some other failures from a fan boy perspective.

However, as I responded to TCTTS earlier, I think the critical complaints were the result of conscious decisions rather than sloppy writing or a lack of competence. TFA had a heavy load to bear in terms of the things it needed to get done, and sometimes making "the perfect movie" wouldn't have taken care of the fans the way this movie REALLY needed to.

Carrie Fisher's frozen face, high ratio of screen time to plot significance, and the ham fisted "remember when" conversation with Han were not good film making. I compare and contrast it to Alec Baldwin's appearance in Glengarry Glen Ross. Neither Fisher nor Baldwin participate in the plot. Neither is on screen for a significant amount of time. So they are similar... but Baldwin's appearance is a tour de force that sets the tone for the whole movie and entered popular culture without bringing the rest of Glengarry Glen Ross along for the ride. Carrie Fisher, on the other hand, is completely extraneous. If you took Fisher out completely, no one would notice because everything she does is also done by Harrison Ford. But it's Star Wars and Abrams needed to give the fans certain things. One of those things was more than a cameo from Princess Leia.

Another was trust. Recycling the plot of IV was not the most creative film making, but it gave us a really fun movie, a real Star Wars space western with galactic consequences, in a way that the prequels did not.

Some of the other issues, and especially the ones bothering fan boys, I think have to do with only having seen the first third of a trilogy. Some of those inconsistencies and coincidences will be answered.

fig96
AG
Ask and you shall receive, or something.

As I said earlier, the Art of book is pretty awesome.

AgMarauder04
AG
Maybe I missed it, but WHY did Maz give the Saber to Finn? Was it her intention for him to get it back to Rey or was it just the closest weapon when they were under attack?
Ag Since 83
AG
For him to give it to Rey
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vader's castle looks baller as ****.
RiverDog

wangus12
AG
Plenty of applause at the end of another viewing.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

It was fun but not a great movie.

This sort of splitting hairs makes it hard to take your opinion seriously, fyi. It was fun, but not good? Whatever.
RiverDog
Jaydoug
AG
quote:

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible!

So many problems with this movie. Obviously Disney's way of pumping out garbage to pump ticket sales, then merchandise sales, then park tickets to the new Star Wars world at WDW.

And all of us lemmings are in line.

Sad.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Anyone grumbling about this one has a case of "good old day" syndrome.
LPHA
AG
Why? Show your work. This isn't a remedial class.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You sound bitter.
Jaydoug
AG
quote:

I'm going to read thru this whole thread before doing so in honor of complainers gone before me.

And yes, I saw Episode IV as a 7 year old.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible!

So many problems with this movie. Obviously Disney's way of pumping out garbage to pump ticket sales, then merchandise sales, then park tickets to the new Star Wars world at WDW.

And all of us lemmings are in line.

Sad.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Stating your age when you first saw Star Wars doesn't validate anything.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I saw The Force Awakens early in the run, and I went in absolutely certain that it was going to suck hard. I was blown away at how good it was, but of course, that reaction was relative to my expectations. I've experienced the opposite with movies that "everyone" said were fantastic. When I finally saw them, I disliked them, probably in large part because they didn't live up to my expectations.

People now seeing TFA for the first time have heard endless talk about how good it is, so they go in with high expectations that the movie can't meet.

It's a good movie, but if you go in expecting it to be a great movie, you'll be disappointed.

I went in expecting greatness on the first showing and got it.
Satellite of Love
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm actually a little surprised that they wiped out SotE from the canon, as it was one of the lone EU elements that came more or less directly from Lucasfilm.

Where do you find out what was scrubbed?
The shorter answer is what wasn't

Entire EU is gone, only the films, animated series, and games and their associated books and comics are canon. Don't think there's anything else, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly in the back of my mind that I was thinking. Nothing is official until it becomes a talkie or sanctioned CB.
Satellite of Love
quote:
quote:

I'm going to read thru this whole thread before doing so in honor of complainers gone before me.

And yes, I saw Episode IV as a 7 year old.

I can't wait for you to retread all the anti-TFA talking points to the bitter "fans" of SW.
Brian Earl Spilner
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I seriously can't imagine how anyone who is a fan of the originals could not be a fan of this one....

and I don't mean because of the plot retread....thats a minimal issue.

you basically have to be closed minded and want to dislike it and find reasons to dislike it. i hate people who are predisposed to to opinions on movies (like several on here who haven;t seen Avatar but know they will hate it so they haven't seen it).

I go into movies completely open minded and let my experience and feelings guide my like/dislike.

therefore I disliked the PT and I loved this movie. And I loved the ST reboot but liked the 2nd one a lot less. I liked Avatar, sue me I had a good time and did not get bogged down worrying about what alien politics meant for liberal agendas (who gives a crap its a movie). I liked Titanic it was an amazing spectacle and pretty good story too.

I also just cannot stand people who just rampage about a movie like this - obviously at the least a good movie.

Calling it terrible, terrible, terrible...ridiculous.

I rate every movie I see....here are the really terrible movies I've seen. Like painful to watch. These I've rated 4 (of 10) or lower thats well below "average" (5). the last 15 years worth....many are kids movies of course...

(some of you might like SOME of these....but I doubt you put them in the best movies of all time....)

Noah - ugh
The Other Woman - insipid
Arthur - the remake
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Knight and Day
The Big Wedding
I Am Number 4
Clash of the Titans
Jumper
The Last Mimzy
Perfect Stranger
Scary Movie 4
Monster House
You, Me and Dupree
Pink Panther 2
Race to Witch Mountain
Yours, Mine and Ours
Wallace and Gromit
Because of Winn Dixie
Home on the Range
Envy
Benji off the Leash
Jungle Book 2
From Justin to Kelly
Cabin Fever
Real Cancun
Spy Kids 3D
Treasure Planet
Murder by Numbers
The Time Machine
Scooby Doo
Spy Kids 2
The Country Bears - one of the worst movies ever made
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
America's Sweethearts
Scary Movie 2
3000 Miles to Graceland
The Mummy Returns
Planet of the Apes - the one with Marky Mark
The Musketeer - the worst movie of the last 15 years easily
What Women Want
Vertical Limit
Rules of Engagement
What Lies Beneath
Men of Honor
Mission to Mars
Thomas and the Magic Railroad - this is barely worth the the celluloid its printed on (and I loved Thomas as did my son, bullet to the head painful...Alec Baldwin could not save this)

To talk about SW:TFA in any context as terrible when THOSE movies are out there.....seriously?!?!?!?!?!

TelcoAg
AG
quote:
I saw The Force Awakens early in the run, and I went in absolutely certain that it was going to suck hard. I was blown away at how good it was, but of course, that reaction was relative to my expectations. I've experienced the opposite with movies that "everyone" said were fantastic. When I finally saw them, I disliked them, probably in large part because they didn't live up to my expectations.

People now seeing TFA for the first time have heard endless talk about how good it is, so they go in with high expectations that the movie can't meet.

It's a good movie, but if you go in expecting it to be a great movie, you'll be disappointed.

Why would you buy a ticket to a movie you're absolutely certain would "suck hard?"

You're like the Eric Hyman of movie critics.
redline248
AG
lol, you saw From Justin to Kelly
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
lol, you saw From Justin to Kelly
on cable....i couldn't imagine it was that bad....it was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hey. I like The Mummy Returns.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'll pretty much watch Vertical Limit every time I see it on tv.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I liked a few of those movies listed. Also, relax. You shouldn't hate people for disliking a movie (unless they insult you for liking it of course).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.