*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,868 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
IrishAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Not good with names, but what do you think about the black guy being Landos son?
I had that theory while I was watching the movie...but I hope not. We would be going back to the waaaay too many universal coincidences of epic proportions at insane odds coming together sequences, that helped doom the prequels.
Ulrich
In ROTS, Palpatine never actually says the name of the apprentice who killed Plagueis. We all assume that it was Palpatine and I don't think that's a bad assumption, but based only on the movies we could throw it out.

Does anyone know if the Clone Wars comics explicit say that Palpatine was the apprentice who killed Plagueis?
Bevo99
quote:
Not good with names, but what do you think about the black guy being Landos son?

You mean the one black guy in the new movie is related to the one black guy in the OT? No Way!
wangus12
AG
quote:
In ROTS, Palpatine never actually says the name of the apprentice who killed Plagueis. We all assume that it was Palpatine and I don't think that's a bad assumption, but based only on the movies we could throw it out.

Does anyone know if the Clone Wars comics explicit say that Palpatine was the apprentice who killed Plagueis?
I was just thinking about that as well. In ROTS, he simply tells the story and people believe Palps is talking about his old master, but he never actually confirms that he was. The book did that for us and it is no longer considered
redline248
AG
quote:

Clone wars don't mention Plagueis at all. As best I remember the only other Sith from history mentioned is Darth Bane.
piag94
AG
quote:
quote:

You mean the one black guy in the new movie is related to the one black guy in the OT? No Way!

Thanks Bevo, for your insight
Ulrich
He's Captain Tanaka's son?!
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
He's Captain Tanaka's son?!
The Japanese pitcher for the Yanks?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

and that one black guy from the OT is rumored to be in episode VIII....just sayin

for those saying thats just "too many coincidences"....thats kinda how the FORCE seems to work.

In the OT why did Leia ship get stopped right by the exact planet where the guy she needed to get the message to was, where a kid of the evil Vader was in hiding, who happened to be her brother, where the droids found that kid and they found that old man while encountering almost no one else on that entire planet....

so why was Finn coincidentally named FN 2187, Leias cell number (other than writers), why was he the only storm trooper apparently battling the feeling to do the right thing and not just follow orders, and he happened to help escape the guy trying to get a droid to a person with a map about master luke's location...and maybe just maybe ran into the daughter of that guy who already had the droid in question....and they steal a ship belongong to a guy who previously helped luke and he finds them immediately and takes them to a woman/creature who both knows stuff and happens to have luke's original light saber....

The FORCE is amazing (at the least it is amazing for moving along plots)....

fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

and that one black guy from the OT is rumored to be in episode VIII....just sayin

for those saying thats just "too many coincidences"....thats kinda how the FORCE seems to work.

In the OT why did Leia ship get stopped right by the exact planet where the guy she needed to get the message to was, where a kid of the evil Vader was in hiding, who happened to be her brother, where the droids found that kid and they found that old man while encountering almost no one else on that entire planet....

so why was Finn coincidentally named FN 2187, Leias cell number (other than writers), why was he the only storm trooper apparently battling the feeling to do the right thing and not just follow orders, and he happened to help escape the guy trying to get a droid to a person with a map about master luke's location...and maybe just maybe ran into the daughter of that guy who already had the droid in question....and they steal a ship belongong to a guy who previously helped luke and he finds them immediately and takes them to a woman/creature who both knows stuff and happens to have luke's original light saber....

The FORCE is amazing (at the least it is amazing for moving along plots)....

I think you answered your own question there

I'm actually surprised we haven't heard a lot of Mace Windu's grandson theories, which would lead to much more interesting speculation about him being Force-sensitive.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Although they were plastered all over the toys and merchandise for the film, the First Order's snowtroopers barely appeared -- some were at the First Order rally, and that's it. But now we know why they and their speeders ended up being such a big part of the toy push: a whole action sequence from the climax was cut from the final movie.

In the novel, when Rey and Finn make their way to the oscillator to plant their last set of bombs, they do so by hijacking a First Order snowspeederwhich leads to a big chase as Snowtroopers took pursuit of the heroes.
Damn, that would've been awesome.
I agree. I mean, we saw the speeder in the background when they made it to where Han and Chewie were. I am guessing it got cut because of time.

Also, something I have been thinking about since my second viewing was how when Kylo and Han are on the catwalk there is light initially coming through the door shining down onto the catwalk. As the scene progresses, the sun's energy I guess is absorbed by Starkiller Base and eventually goes out. This happens slightly before Kylo runs Han through.

I am hoping that symbolism is intentional on JJ's part because I took it to mean that the light side of the force was being extinguished in Kylo at that moment when he made his decision to kill Han.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Something I found coincidental on my third viewing: Ren and the FO go after Tanaka at the exact same moment that Poe is there retrieving the map?
evan_aggie
AG
I thought the scene was rather thinly veiled as to what was going to happen next.

The moment the camera scene showed Han walking to Kylo with the beam of light, you absolute had to know it was going to vanish while they met, especially with the device near fully charged.

Btw, not that it matters, but is there any context as to the extent of damage that the republic sustained? It looked like 4-5 planets, which i assume were all republic supporters, and billions of people?
COOL LASER FALCON
21-87 is also just a shout out to a short film that apparently was influential to Lucas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21-87
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:

The new movie had 2 black guys.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
First of all, there is more than one black guy in the OT. Grizz Fix is a brave X-Wing pilot who is on the second Death Star attack and gets to yell "SHE'S GONNA BLOW!" before dying. So have some damn respect.

Secondly, not to crush the dreams of Mama Phasma fans, but Gwendoline Christie is 37. Daisy Ridley is 23. Mark Hamill is 64. So while Phasma could technically be Rey's mother, it would mean that she gave birth to her at age 14, and Luke Skywalker was doing some very un-Jedi like things with her when he was 41 and she was an age I'd prefer not to think about her at.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/12/22/why-j-j-abrams-now-regrets-deboarding-the-star-wars-chair-before-episode-viii/

quote:
J.J. ABRAMS recently read the script for Episode VIII of Star Wars. And he had a reaction to it that his lifelong friend, "The Force Awakens" actor Greg Grunberg, had not ever heard from the director over their decades together in the industry.

"He read it and said something he never, ever says," Grunberg, who plays pilot Snap Wexley in the new film, tells The Post's Comic Riffs. "He said: 'It's so good, I wish I were making it.'
Guys, we are getting another Empire.

I may actually be more excited about VIII than I was for TFA.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Also for the Lor San Tekka fans, my money is on him showing back up in the Han Solo anthology film helping out a young Han Solo establish himself in the galaxy or something like that.
Tekka seemed to have been more of an ally to Luke and Leia. His conversation with Poe seemed to imply that he had great respect for Leia, and had possibly known her for sometime.

From the starwars.com databank description:
quote:
A legendary traveler and explorer, Lor San Tekka is a longtime ally of the New Republic and the Resistance. After the Battle of Endor, San Tekka helped Luke Skywalker recover secret Jedi lore that the Empire had tried to erase, and Leia Organa hopes the old scout can now help find her brother. Following decades of adventure, San Tekka retired to live simply on Jakku, where he follows the dictates of the once-forbidden Church of the Force. But his retirement is fated to be anything but peaceful.
Personally, I think they have setup Tekka to be part of some Leia adventures or post ROTJ adventures with Luke. Now that TFA has hit theaters, in traditional Star Wars fashion they can go back and fill in the gaps without spoiling anything that has happened in TFA.
twilly
AG
quote:
Finn could be this guy's son...

The Bespin Ice Cream Maker Guy - Willrow Hood
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I thought the scene was rather thinly veiled as to what was going to happen next.

The moment the camera scene showed Han walking to Kylo with the beam of light, you absolute had to know it was going to vanish while they met, especially with the device near fully charged.

Btw, not that it matters, but is there any context as to the extent of damage that the republic sustained? It looked like 4-5 planets, which i assume were all republic supporters, and billions of people?
The senate is currently on the main planet, so if it was in session, most of the government leaders probably died. Supposedly the existing New Republic fleet, drastically downsized after the destruction of the second Death Star, was also there and also got destroyed. So a bit like if Japan had blown up Washington DC and Pearl Harbor at the same time. It would seem to be a total act of war and turn all New Republic and Resistance resources against the First Order.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I believe the Hosnian system, specifically Hosnian Prime, was a seat for the new Senate on a rotating basis as opposed to how it was in the PT where it was always on Coruscant.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/hosnian-prime
quote:
The capital of the New Republic, Hosnian Prime is a cosmopolitan world on the outskirts of the galaxy's Core Worlds region. One of Mon Mothma's reforms in establishing the New Republic was that member worlds would host the Senate on a rotating basis, a sharp break from the millennia in which Coruscant was the center of galactic power. But Hosnian Prime's tenure as Senate seat makes it the target of a terrifying attack by the First Order.
That's not to mention that I believe it was also mentioned in the film that as a result of the attack that the New Republic's fleet was destroyed (or perhaps just heavily devastated, I can't remember the exact wording used) due to the attack.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I was also wondering when Harry Potter and star wars mixed when the whole lightsaber chooses her over Ren....

Does anyone have background on lightsabers being attuned to certain people or choosing people?

Or did she really just over power Ren for it which seems unlikely?
Oh my.... No... Light sabers are inanimate... She overpowered him, or he didn't even really grasp it...

Like I said I think his abilities are probably focused on psychological and energy manipulation and not telekinesis. I think the Star Wars team at Disney is going with the Force Abilities specialization so like they did with Corran Horn in the Old EU... Some are stronger with Telekenesis, some telepathic, some light saber duellists, some energy manipulates, etc. some may have dual abilities. Some may be overall badass like Luke and apparently Rey...
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
The only thing I don't get is Lor San Tekka's appearance in the movie then.

He HAS to have more time in the next one.
I watched it for the 2nd time last night, and Ren struck him down pretty good with a lightsaber.

I think he's dead but maybe we see him in flashbacks?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
The only thing I don't get is Lor San Tekka's appearance in the movie then.

He HAS to have more time in the next one.
I watched it for the 2nd time last night, and Ren struck him down pretty good with a lightsaber.

I think he's dead but maybe we see him in flashbacks?
Zero chance he is dead.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
The senate is currently on the main planet, so if it was in session, most of the government leaders probably died. Supposedly the existing New Republic fleet, drastically downsized after the destruction of the second Death Star, was also there and also got destroyed. So a bit like if Japan had blown up Washington DC and Pearl Harbor at the same time. It would seem to be a total act of war and turn all New Republic and Resistance resources against the First Order.
I think it's time to pull Home One out of mothballs.
Bevo99
I stand corrected...

So was Grizz Fix in the original version or was he digitally remastered?

quote:

Leia was on her way to see Obi-wan, that's why she got stopped there, and sent the droids to the planet to look for him.

The droids didn't find Obi-wan, Obi-wan was watching over Luke, and showed up when the Tusken Raiders attacked.

Luke was on the same planet because Obi-wan followed him there.

They didn't run into anyone else because Luke lived on a condenser farm and they got attacked along the road to town.

Now, Luke's uncle buying R2 and 3PO was a coincidence.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So I finally saw it last night. Loved it, but a little bit of my childhood died though.

This may or may not have been discussed, but the only negative I heard coming out of the movie was my19 year old nephew. He basically said, I don't want to see any more girl power movies.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Collective
AG
quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/12/22/why-j-j-abrams-now-regrets-deboarding-the-star-wars-chair-before-episode-viii/

quote:
J.J. ABRAMS recently read the script for Episode VIII of Star Wars. And he had a reaction to it that his lifelong friend, "The Force Awakens" actor Greg Grunberg, had not ever heard from the director over their decades together in the industry.

"He read it and said something he never, ever says," Grunberg, who plays pilot Snap Wexley in the new film, tells The Post's Comic Riffs. "He said: 'It's so good, I wish I were making it.'
Guys, we are getting another Empire.

I may actually be more excited about VIII than I was for TFA.

No pressure, Rian.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
So I finally saw it last night. Loved it, but a little bit of my childhood died though.

This may or may not have been discussed, but the only negative I heard coming out of the movie was my19 year old nephew. He basically said, I don't want to see any more girl power movies.
I get tired of the girl power movies as well and often roll my eyes whenever I read about another one coming out, but I didn't get that same feeling in TFA. Maybe it was because I'd already been prepped by having watched Ahsoka in TCW series and actually found a female character that was a pretty good Jedi character.
The Collective
AG
Rey feels a lot more natural than Katniss to me. Very well done by all involved.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I stand corrected...

So was Grizz Fix in the original version or was he digitally remastered?

quote:

Leia was on her way to see Obi-wan, that's why she got stopped there, and sent the droids to the planet to look for him.

The droids didn't find Obi-wan, Obi-wan was watching over Luke, and showed up when the Tusken Raiders attacked.

Luke was on the same planet because Obi-wan followed him there.

They didn't run into anyone else because Luke lived on a condenser farm and they got attacked along the road to town.

Now, Luke's uncle buying R2 and 3PO was a coincidence.

Still awfully convenient....I mean why was she going to find Obi Wan in the first place (her fathers orders sure, but)....

• How did she even know he would still be there or still be alive, he could have been dead
  • Obi Wan was one Jedi with no apprentices, no army of any kind, he couldn't even defeat Vader himself
  • He didn't even really end up doing anything significant except turning off the power to let them escape and then sacrificing himself. he didn't fight anyone else except one guy in a bar skirmish.
  • He didn't have a ship for transport or even the money to hire one.

Leia risked everything to get to this one guy???? He was their only hope??? And it was to get him to Alderaan for some reason...well that never materialized.

Great movie and I love it but....simple plot driven contrivances...or the FORCE acting to put people together....pretty much the same thing.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Return of the jedi felt great because it ended on a positive note and was quirky, but this might have been better than it imo, and below anh, and esb.

Loved RoTJ. Somewhere along the way some cinema snobs convinced a bunch of people it wasn't a good film.
Pro Ag
AG
Yeah, the issue with that complaint is the 19 year-old boy part. He just wanted to be the dissenter.

Rey is a much better character than the leads in Hunger Games and Divergent.
fig96
AG
quote:
Rey feels a lot more natural than Katniss to me. Very well done by all involved.
Agreed, Rey definitely didn't feel forced into a lead nor do you feel this pressure put on her. We're not even quite clear it's her film for a a lot of the movie, she just turns out to be a badass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.