*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

373,451 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't watched it with that question in mind to be positive, but I don't remember much if anything. Every callback and plot device I can think of offhand refers to IV through VI.

The only ones I can think of are some that MAY indirectly put down the prequels (explicitly destroying the senate as opposed to the more generic republic or capital; "this will begin to make things right" quote)
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Maz mentions the Sith. She also has a bunch of pod racer flags from TPM outside her watering hole and there are pod racers on Jakku.
Ulrich
Vader is referred to as a Lord of the Sith in the scripts for the OT even though they don't call him that in the dialogue itself. It was definitely a popular term in the EU before the prequel trilogy came out... I know that doesn't count anymore, but I have a hard time attributing something as generic as the name of the order to which Vader and Sidious belonged to the PT.

I was thinking more along the lines of specific mentions of characters or events unique to the PT, not necessarily background details like podracer flags.
TelcoAg
AG

quote:
They showed the planet being destroyed that *looked like* something from the prequels but was it listed by name as matching?
They destroyed the Hosnian system. No, it wasn't the same as in the prequels since the Republic senate and capital city seen there belong to a Republic that was disbanded by the Empire. The Hosnian system that was destroyed contained Hosnian Prime, which was the capital of the New Republic.
evan_aggie
AG
Return of the jedi felt great because it ended on a positive note and was quirky, but this might have been better than it imo, and below anh, and esb.
TCTTS
AG
Finally saw it a second time tonight, this time with the family, and I have to say, I liked it WAY more the second go-around. I still have issues with a few things (like the way Luke's lightsaber is introduced, Snoke's design/appearance, the A New Hope redo vibe, etc.), but none of the coincidental stuff I initially had issue with felt as contrived this time around. The story definitely flowed a lot better for me, especially having caught a few things I missed the first time. That, and I somehow fell in love with Rey even more. She is such a fantastic character, and Daisy Ridley is absolute revelation.

Anyway, again, I still think this movie has some notable flaws, but between the TexAgs hive mind discussion, and a second viewing, I went from mildly enjoyed to loved-with-minor-reservations. What I saw last Thursday night wasn't bad by any means, but I honestly wondered if I would ever want to watch that movie again. The movie I saw tonight? I'll own it the day it comes out on Blu-ray.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sifting through some bios on the official Star Wars website - here are a few tidbits of note and some new photos that have emerged since the film opened.

Admiral Ackbar: After the Battle of Endor, Ackbar became a Grand Admiral in the New Republic, winning many victories including the pivotal Battle of Jakku. He retired to Mon Cala, but was coaxed back into service with the Resistance by Leia Organa.

The Resistance: A small, secretive private military force, the Resistance was founded by rebel hero Leia Organa to monitor the actions of the First Order. Most New Republic power brokers tolerate the Resistance while regarding Organa and her fighters as dead-enders with an unfortunate fixation on the past. Organa's cash-strapped movement relies on credits, ships and equipment quietly funneled to it from the few senators who share her concerns.

The New Republic: The Rebel Alliance became the New Republic after its victory over the Empire at the Battle of Endor. Eager to win over the war-weary citizens of the galaxy, the New Republic revived the Senate, signed a peace treaty the Galactic Concordance with the Empire's remnants, and drastically reduced its military capabilities. That policy aroused the ire of rebel hero Leia Organa, who warned that elements of the Empire were still seeking power. Sidelined from the political process, Organa founded the Resistance to oppose the Empire's successor state, the mysterious First Order.

Hosnian Prime: The capital of the New Republic, Hosnian Prime is a cosmopolitan world on the outskirts of the galaxy's Core Worlds region. One of Mon Mothma's reforms in establishing the New Republic was that member worlds would host the Senate on a rotating basis, a sharp break from the millennia in which Coruscant was the center of galactic power. But Hosnian Prime's tenure as Senate seat makes it the target of a terrifying attack by the First Order.

First Order: The New Republic's rise reduced the once-mighty Empire to a rump state hemmed in by strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. But in the galaxy's Unknown Regions, former Imperial officers, nobles and technologists plotted a return to power, building fleets and armies in secret. This movement became the First Order, ruled by Supreme Leader Snoke, and is now ready to reclaim the Imperial legacy.

First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper: Stormtrooper units assigned to keep order on worlds within First Order territory are trained in riot-control tactics and given non-lethal equipment though all carry standard weapons in case situations spiral out of control. Riot control stormtroopers use betaplast shields and Z6 batons to keep crowds at bay or to shock or pummel an opponent.

Snoke: The Supreme Leader of the First Order, the mysterious Snoke has no permanent base of operations, preferring to contact his underlings from a mobile command post. Snoke is powerful with the dark side of the Force, and seduced Kylo Ren into abandoning the Jedi path to become his apprentice.

Lor San Tekka: A legendary traveler and explorer, Lor San Tekka is a longtime ally of the New Republic and the Resistance. After the Battle of Endor, San Tekka helped Luke Skywalker recover secret Jedi lore that the Empire had tried to erase, and Leia Organa hopes the old scout can now help find her brother. Following decades of adventure, San Tekka retired to live simply on Jakku, where he follows the dictates of the once-forbidden Church of the Force. But his retirement is fated to be anything but peaceful.

Maz's Castle: The ancient edifice known as Maz's castle sits on the shore of a lake on Takodana, a site rumored to have been a battleground for the Jedi and Sith. The castle is simultaneously aged and state of the art, with sensor grids and advanced communications gear sprouting from worn stone battlements. Inside Maz's castle, pirates, smugglers, spies and all manner of scoundrels mix and mingle, searching for loans, information, equipment, repairs -- or kicking back to enjoy music, food and drink or games of chance. All must obey their host's prohibitions against politics or war.

Great photo of Rey at the AT-AT.

Madmarttigan
AG
Your hype might have just been too strong with too much going in your mind when you saw it the first go around. Or you were looking at it with a heavier critique that you may not apply to the original trilogy due to nostalgia, which I'm sure if people could get past their obsession they would see flaws in the original trilogy as well.

I choose not to see the flaws cause I love em too damn much .
joemeister
AG
I saw it for the second time tonight. I enjoyed it more this time around. Similar to the new Mad Max, the second viewing allowed me to cut through the nostalgia and really focus on the story and characters.
Carlo4
AG
quote:
Question: were there *any* references to the prequels? Were they really able to ignore that they existed?

I remember a mention of clone troopers vs storm troopers but the Clone wars were mentioned in episode IV.

They showed the planet being destroyed that *looked like* something from the prequels but was it listed by name as matching?

Did anyone use the term Sith?

I'd say the weapon used by the stormtrooper to repel the light saber by Finn is a nod to the technology used in Revenge of the Sith.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
quote:
Question: were there *any* references to the prequels? Were they really able to ignore that they existed?

I remember a mention of clone troopers vs storm troopers but the Clone wars were mentioned in episode IV.

I'd say the weapon used by the stormtrooper to repel the light saber by Finn is a nod to the technology used in Revenge of the Sith.

Rey driving an old pod racer.
tremble
AG
The only thing I don't get is Lor San Tekka's appearance in the movie then.

He HAS to have more time in the next one.
birdman
I've read this thread religiously for months now. About 90% of the people here before the film, insisted that Rey was Han and Leia's child. "it's the only way things makes sense", "they must continue the Skywalker lineage" and so on. Kylo was probably an outsider but Rey was obviously from Han/Leia.

Now the same people (and about the same 90%) insist that Rey is Luke's daughter. And they're making the same arguments.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
The only thing I don't get is Lor San Tekka's appearance in the movie then.

He HAS to have more time in the next one.

Or Rougue One. We definitely have not seen the last of this character. Same for Maz.
JJxvi
AG
I figured Lor San Tekka was going to tie into an anthology movie or something.
Knife_Party
I must be in the 10%. I've thought there would be two Skywalker children and strongly suspected Rey to be Luke's. Kylo I wasn't sure about. I posted a pretty good rationale yesterday about why Rey is Luke's child. Regardless of who she belongs to, she is undoubtedly a Skywalker. Kennedy stated before the film that Star Wars is the story of the Skywalker family.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Story of the Skywalker Family Tradegy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
wangus12
AG
quote:
Also, more adorable robot - BB-8 or WALL-E?
R2-D2 or gtfo
Ag Since 83
AG
Gig 'em

wangus12
AG
So I step away for 2 days to actually get stuff done and having to play catch up on this thread is crazy.

1) I'm in the camp that Rey is most likely Luke's daughter or is not part of the Skywalker lineage. I just don't believe that she is Han/Leia's 2nd kid. Kylo would have felt it or her parents would have said something, regardless if they all thought she was dead. She is prior knowledge of the force and something was repressed for it to come back that strong and quickly.

2) If she is the daughter of Luke, I'm curious to discover who the mother is. I will be disappointed if it is Phasma, even if she is brainwashed. I'd rather not have a "Rey, I am your mother" and I don't think it will happen. I will hold out hope for an introduction of Mara Jade

3) We saw how protective Finn can be of Rey and I think when he awakes in VIII, he is gonna want to go after her. I don't seem him being force-sensitive at this point. Perhaps Poe tags along.

5) Don't think Snoke is Plagueis. Palpatine was a cold ******* that basically destroyed the Jedi Order in one swift movement and murdered Plagueis in his sleep. I don't think he left any doubt that his old master was dead when he killed him.

4) If the ****ing kill Chewie, WE RIOT
Tmoneyag99
AG
Really enjoyed TFA, but I think the only thing that bugged me was the 5 minute dialogue between Han and Leia rehashing their love life:

Han: "Hey, remember that time we did it?"

Leia: "Yeah, that was cool."

Han: "Also, remember we had a kid that turned BSC?"

Leia: "Yep, now go get that crazy b*stard. It's not like he will kill you."

Han: "Miss you."
jeffk
AG
Anyone else think Kylo stole all the Vader stuff (helmet, ashes, light saber tech) from Luke and his academy during the upheaval there?
jabberwalkie09
AG

Always fun to watch Andi Gutierrez.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I've read this thread religiously for months now. About 90% of the people here before the film, insisted that Rey was Han and Leia's child. "it's the only way things makes sense", "they must continue the Skywalker lineage" and so on. Kylo was probably an outsider but Rey was obviously from Han/Leia.

Now the same people (and about the same 90%) insist that Rey is Luke's daughter. And they're making the same arguments.
Not even close. I think you read a handful of posts and got confused.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You step away from this thread to see the movie again and there's 2 new pages.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This post on reddit.

quote:
After watching the film twice, I got the distinct impression that Luke Skywalker is not Kylo Ren. Here's why:

• Han Solo calls him Ben, which is different to Luke Skywalker's name. His name is Luke Skywalker, not Ben.
  • Kylo Ren takes off his mask and has the face of Adam Driver. This leads me to believe that Adam Driver plays Kylo Ren. Luke Skywalker is often played by Mark Hamill, so I would have expected to see Mark Hamills face if Kylo Ren were Luke Skywalker.
I could go on, and I'm sure there are further little details that prove my point. I will concede that you never see the two in the same room together. Furthermore, I know Mark Hamill has done motion capture for a different face in Star Citizen, and is a talented voice actor. So, the debate's not completely over, but I just wanted to share my two cents on the theory.
Were there any other theories that didn't quite pan out?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
You step away from this thread to see the movie again and there's 2 new pages.

The Force is with us.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I know TCTTS posted the link to the differences between the novelization and film of TFA, but here's the i09 post.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-11-biggest-differences-between-the-book-and-movie-v-1749329046

We almost had Chewie going medieval on Unkart Plutt.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Very interesting.
hurleyag
AG
More Snoke/Plagueis discussion, the train Kylo isn't trained as much is because his last apprentice that he taught everything to killed* him and took over. He doesn't want that to happen again so he purposely limits the training.

*didn't actually die
piag94
AG
Not good with names, but what do you think about the black guy being Landos son?
IrishAg
quote:
5) Don't think Snoke is Plagueis. Palpatine was a cold ******* that basically destroyed the Jedi Order in one swift movement and murdered Plagueis in his sleep. I don't think he left any doubt that his old master was dead when he killed him.
That's the argument because officially we no longer know if Palpatine murdered Plagueis or not, the book with that story is no longer part of the official movie cannon. So they can completely change the Palpatine and Plagueis back story if they want for the new trilogy.

Also for the Lor San Tekka fans, my money is on him showing back up in the Han Solo anthology film helping out a young Han Solo establish himself in the galaxy or something like that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Although they were plastered all over the toys and merchandise for the film, the First Order's snowtroopers barely appeared -- some were at the First Order rally, and that's it. But now we know why they and their speeders ended up being such a big part of the toy push: a whole action sequence from the climax was cut from the final movie.

In the novel, when Rey and Finn make their way to the oscillator to plant their last set of bombs, they do so by hijacking a First Order snowspeederwhich leads to a big chase as Snowtroopers took pursuit of the heroes.
Damn, that would've been awesome.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Rey driving an old pod racer.
It definitely resembles one but I don't think it was. There's some discussion of it in the "Art of" book that I'll check but I don't think that was mentioned.

Speaking of, if there's anything in particular from the art book someone wants to see let me know and I'll post a pic of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.