*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

371,847 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Wade_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome movie! Loved every second of it!

One small nit-pick and a few questions about the plot

Nitpick- Wouldn't the energy being sucked out of a sun wreck havoc on the solar system it is in, especially if they removed all of the energy from it? I just figured that would kind of throw the systems gravity for a loop.

Obviously I can accept it, just curious about it.

Questions!

1.)We don't know when Fin was abducted to be a stormtrooper. He said, "That's the only name they ever gave me" which means he could be somebody else completely...maybe the son of a certain swashbuckling buddy of Han Solo's.

2.) How did Ren end up with Vader's mask? Luke burned it on Endor so either he went back and got it, or stole it from Luke during his uprising (which seems unlikely, at least to me).

3.) Stormtrooper armor hasn't improved much in 60 years. Somebody on the First Order's Higher Headquarters needs to staff up a package and put together a good powerpoint explaining the virtues of Storm Trooper masks being able to filter out poisonous gas along with smoke. Also, if you are going to build a planet sized super weapon you think you would divert some R&D dollars for a type of armor that can take at least one blaster hit instead of armor that apparently dissipates the blast straight into your body and kills you on contact.

4.) Finally, how did the empire create a weapon that can stop lightsaber blows? Fin beat on a stormtroopers baton and nothing happened. That didn't make much sense to me since a lightsaber is essentially a laser (right?)

Seeing it again on the 22nd and the 25th! So many little things to find in the movie, love it!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Yea the sucking the energy from a star doesn't really make a lot of sense but Star Wars is known for making many scientific blunders.
Dr. Teeth
AG
Better than ESB.

Not joking.

I'm not gay, but I seriously want to kiss J.J. Abrams on the mouth.
Dr. Teeth
AG
quote:
Right... Snoke has not been revealed yet. The movie was the first time we even knew what he looked like.

We still might not. We only saw him as a giant hologram. He might not be that big (we've seen small holograms), it might also change his appearance.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
Yea the sucking the energy from a star doesn't really make a lot of sense but Star Wars is known for making many scientific blunders.
I'm not sure what the Order's plans were after the star was gone. They'd have to move the entire planet to a new star to power the weapon again. How? and another question. how were they able to hit other planets so fast? it would have taken the beam hours to hit another planet in the same system at light speed, and the beam wasn't moving even close to that speed. and would have taken 100s of years to be a threat to any other system.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm not sure what the Order's plans were after the star was gone. They'd have to move the entire planet to a new star to power the weapon again. How? and another question. how were they able to hit other planets so fast? it would have taken the beam hours to hit another planet in the same system at light speed, and the beam wasn't moving even close to that speed. and would have taken 100s of years to be a threat to any other system.
JJ was told to fit it all in 2.25 hours. I'm sure this will be recreated with scientific accuracy in the 83 disc Blu Ray.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
Tobias Funke
AG
I particularly enjoyed watching bb8 go down the stairs at the bar. He would look down, drop the next step with a thud, look down, drop with a thud... Down about 15 steps. For some reason that background detail made me smile more than anything
jabberwalkie09
AG
I liked how Han was like "Move ball." and then when the tent exploded from the TIE's shooting at it and Rey, Finn and BB-8 were thrown from the explosion it looked like they really threw BB-8 from the explosion.
TRM
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just wanted to say, about the whole Rey picking it up quickly. If you think about it, all these guys heard about rumors of the the jedi could do and the force and whatnot. So her figuring out the force command thing isnt a stretch, and is honestly realistic imo. She also failed twice. And being able to eventually use the lightsaber well, do you not rememeber the scene with Mas (orange alien) saying close your eyes, the force is all around you...that's also a recurring theme in the original trilogy.
It also took Luke mf'n Skywalker years, including training with Yoda and Obi-Wan, to get to where Rey was with no training at all. She barely even knew the Force existed and she's implanting commands in James Bond? The first time she tries to pick something up with the Force she outmuscles a trained and experienced Force user? Nope.

Years? He had 1 or 2 training sessions with Obi before he was making impossible shots without a targeting system. Then pre Yoda training he was using the force to grab his light saber.
Luke was already letting the Force guide him so he could bullseye womp rats in his T-16. What Luke didn't know was how to control the Force. There was 3 years between ANH and ESB for Luke to practice it before he got to Yoda.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:
If you recall, the whole reason that Sifo-Dyas (a former Jedi Council member) made the request for the clone army in AoTC is because the Republic didn't really have a standing military at the time. He figured something big was coming and wanted an army but got kicked off the Council for making such a stink about it. The Sith found out and then killed him and used the army to set up Order 66 and the coup against the Republic.

Actually in Darth Plageuis (novel) it shows that Sifo-Dyas is manipulated by Plagueuis in his non-Sith guise - into creating the Army.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
^texaggierm and ^^jabberwalkie

loved the little subtle things with BB8 also....his movements were a pleasure to watch.

down the stairs was great...i wanted to see how he would go UP though????

and when he was rolling around inside the Millenium Falcon and then put out braces to stop himself - funny.

Han's "move ball" line was great too...reminded me of "laugh it up fuzzball".

I was hoping for his head to be separated from his ball at some point - a little like C3PO getting dismantled - only like when they were exploded or soemthing...then to have the body roll aimlessly around finally "finding" the head and reunite....maybe in a sequel, i can hope.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just wanted to say, about the whole Rey picking it up quickly. If you think about it, all these guys heard about rumors of the the jedi could do and the force and whatnot. So her figuring out the force command thing isnt a stretch, and is honestly realistic imo. She also failed twice. And being able to eventually use the lightsaber well, do you not rememeber the scene with Mas (orange alien) saying close your eyes, the force is all around you...that's also a recurring theme in the original trilogy.
It also took Luke mf'n Skywalker years, including training with Yoda and Obi-Wan, to get to where Rey was with no training at all. She barely even knew the Force existed and she's implanting commands in James Bond? The first time she tries to pick something up with the Force she outmuscles a trained and experienced Force user? Nope.

Years? He had 1 or 2 training sessions with Obi before he was making impossible shots without a targeting system. Then pre Yoda training he was using the force to grab his light saber.
Luke was already letting the Force guide him so he could bullseye womp rats in his T-16. What Luke didn't know was how to control the Force. There was 3 years between ANH and ESB for Luke to practice it before he got to Yoda.

So who is to say Daisy hasn't been training her ass off alone on a dangerous planet unknown that she is using the force. You saw how easily she dispatched of those 2 thugs trying to steal her droid.
TRM
AG
quote:
I also laugh at the people complaining about them stealing the name Ben from the books, where Luke named his kid Ben.

It's a pretty standard thing, in fiction or the real world, to name your children after important people in your life. Especially important people that have passed away. Just saying

I had a problem with it because Kenobi was important to Luke, so his kid should be named after him - Leia never met him and Han only knew him for days.
TRM
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So who is to say Daisy hasn't been training her ass off alone on a dangerous planet unknown that she is using the force. You saw how easily she dispatched of those 2 thugs trying to steal her droid.
Rey asked Han "If the Force is a real thing." Like she heard stories but never practiced it.

Ed: Misread part of your response. Yes, she I agree she is unknowingly using the Force but she doesn't have the control of it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah my thoughts exactly...she was obviously skilled with weapons and defending herself in general having to survive in that environment and also scavenging and all the criminals she likely encountered.
Wade_3
AG
A couple of things...

Kenobi could have told Luke about how he saved the twins from Vader at birth. Luke could have then relayed that to Leia.

Also, Kenobi was the entire reason Han and Leia met. I would say that was pretty important to both of them.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
I also laugh at the people complaining about them stealing the name Ben from the books, where Luke named his kid Ben.

It's a pretty standard thing, in fiction or the real world, to name your children after important people in your life. Especially important people that have passed away. Just saying

I had a problem with it because Kenobi was important to Luke, so his kid should be named after him - Leia never met him and Han only knew him for days.

my wife and I named our daughter after Katharine Hepburn...we've never met her. And guess what, my daughter is an actress. Nobody else in the family is.....she will be studying theater in college. go figure.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

They specifically mention that it was a hyperspace beam
TRM
AG
quote:
A couple of things...

Kenobi could have told Luke about how he saved the twins from Vader at birth. Luke could have then relayed that to Leia.

Also, Kenobi was the entire reason Han and Leia met. I would say that was pretty important to both of them.
Well really Vader is the reason since he captured her and they need to return the plans to Alderaan...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Obi-Wan is the most pivotal Jedi in the saga, IMO.
Wade_3
AG
Sure. Which, I think you would agree, makes both of them very important to Han and Leia.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Agreed. He's always been my favorite.
HeadGames
AG
I think Snoke is a misformed clone of the emperor
The Marine Biologist
AG
Anyone get a CGI Grendel vibe from Snoke?

Satellite of Love
quote:

• So Kylo's real name is Ben. I think in the old books it was Luke who had a kid named Ben Skywalker, so that's an interesting/good choice and nod to the old EU.

But in the old EU, Han and Leah have 3 kids. The Jedi twins and Anakin. So not really a throwback to the EU. We have a new parallel universe on our hands.
videoag98
AG
Watch Snoke be like a foot tall in real life.
Did 3po's voice seem a little off?
wangus12
AG
quote:

Agreed. I'm still holding out hope for one of the anthology films to be about him with Ewan McGregor coming back
SRCag18
AG
quote:
Why did Han have to die at the end?
Anybody else wondering how this was posted on the 13th?
MBAR
AG
quote:
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-04/10/13/enhanced/webdr10/anigif_original-grid-image-19261-1428687041-22.gif

Great movie. Poe Dameron agrees...
OH MY GOD I did not even realize that was him. I was think that Ex Machina is probably my favorite movie of the year. Thanks!
MBAR
AG
Just got back from a 2nd viewing and here are my thoughts:

It was Luke talking to her in the scene where she touches the light saber and I"m not of the opinion that he guided her through the first movie. After he says her name, you here these are your first steps.

Kylo seemed to freak out more than I thought when he first learned about her. But I think this had to do with him sensing the force in her. But it could mean she's significant.

I still don't think she's Luke's daughter. Thais a bit too hokey and obvious for my tastes. I"m not sure who she is, but I think its more about her just being special and not necessarily linked to the family Leia and Han did seem to grow fond of her very quickly, but I don't think that has to do with her being family. They initially had no idea who she was.
M.C. Swag
AG

quote:
Yea I thought so too. Different voice actor?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Why did Han have to die at the end?
Anybody else wondering how this was posted on the 13th?

Ban hunter!
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:

quote:
Yea I thought so too. Different voice actor?

Same
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Agreed. I'm still holding out hope for one of the anthology films to be about him with Ewan McGregor coming back
Hopefully they do one with him in the Anthology films. I'm pretty sure that he has said he would be interested in coming back for a story between 3 and 4. Personally I think there is some potential for a one off story, probably involving the Hutts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.