***** Brace for Impact: The Official Houston Texans 2021 Thread *****

222,056 Views | 2737 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MelvinUdall
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bilbobag said:

Nick wants Flores, Cal won't sign off on it because of the lawsuit. Hence, the move to Lovie.

Still could be Flores. But Nick will need to convince Tommy boy.

Info I received just tonight.

I hope it's just a way to scare Flores into dropping the lawsuit
JCA1
AG
E said:

bilbobag said:

Nick wants Flores, Cal won't sign off on it because of the lawsuit. Hence, the move to Lovie.

I hope it's just a way to scare Flores into dropping the lawsuit

Right or wrong, he's already proven that he will throw his employer under the bus and make public whatever he can to embarrass them. Hell, he's trying to embarrass Elway for the sin of granting him an interview. No way I bring that guy on board, lawsuit or not.
Snake Jazz
bilbobag said:

I hope this is true. Allows me to believe in Caserio.

I don't hate Lovie if that is what happens, especially if it means Pep takes over the offense. It isn't McCown.
rbcs_2
AG
bilbobag said:

I want to believe but this sounds like total BS to me.
Max Power
AG
If Caserio and ownership are at an impasse then why not just start fresh? I'm not going to pretend there isn't a racial component to what is going on. Smith was a head coach at least, and more qualified than Culley. If they are interviewing him, then it's not going to be Flores or McCown. There are 6 coordinators I'd be happy with them talking to, half of which have HC experience. There are only two jobs left, Houston and New Orleans, they don't have to rush anything.

Leslie Frazier
Todd Bowles
Byron Leftwich
Raheem Morris
DeMeco Ryans
Eric Bieniemy
AustinCountyAg
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and just realize the two leading candidates for the job were/are a coach who's literally suing the team and multiple others and a high school volunteer assistant "coach".

It's literally almost two stupid to believe. Until you remember you have a preacher and a video game nerd calling the shots.
rbcs_2
AG
Another aspect to this is that the media just doesn't know what the hell is going on. There's a reason why all this news is coming from league sources and not the Texans organization. The local sports media guy I know told me that they basically don't hear anything from the inside. That doesn't keep everyone from speculating though.

He said today that with the timing of the news last night, seems to indicate they have their guy and would be surprised if it turns out to be Lovie although doesn't hate the idea. It's either that or they are going to hit the reset button on the search.
Ryan34
AG
rbcs_2 said:

bilbobag said:

I want to believe but this sounds like total BS to me.

Flores has made the most sense from the beginning. We didn't fire Culley until he became available. But it looks like Flores had his sights set on the NYG and is going scorched earth after not getting the job.
rbcs_2
AG
Really? Because Flores never made sense to me. I can't imagine Flores being ok with the GM having a say in the coaching staff, being on the headset during games, etc.

I also think there is no way that Caserio eliminated all the other candidates knowing he wasn't going to be able to hire Flores.

EDIT: I shouldn't say Flores never made sense. I initially thought that it aligned that way with Culley being let go but once it got a few days beyond the initial wave, I had doubts that it would work out.

One more edit... The biggest reason why the info bilbo passed along sounds like BS to me (not that bilbo himself is), it's essentially the Chronicle's late-night report on the situation. I just have a total lack of trust with what the local media is saying right now.
SupaManu
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Really? Because Flores never made sense to me. I can't imagine Flores being ok with the GM having a say in the coaching staff, being on the headset during games, etc.

I also think there is no way that Caserio eliminated all the other candidates knowing he wasn't going to be able to hire Flores.

EDIT: I shouldn't say Flores never made sense. I initially thought that it aligned that way with Culley being let go but once it got a few days beyond the initial wave, I had doubts that it would work out.

One more edit... The biggest reason why the info bilbo passed along sounds like BS to me (not that bilbo himself is), it's essentially the Chronicle's late-night report on the situation. I just have a total lack of trust with what the local media is saying right now.
Wait is the GM actually on the headset during the games? Wow and I thought Jerry was bad.
Panama Red
AG
One has to consider that Caserio may be a complete idiot if he's actually still wanting to hire Flores.
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

Wait is the GM actually on the headset during the games? Wow and I thought Jerry was bad.
He was with Culley. The plan was to help Culley along and had hopes that he could be a motivator while they trained him to be a HC. Since he clearly wasn't progressing, once Culley lost the locker room he was basically done.

Understanding that the situation with Culley is different, I just can't imagine Caserio giving up the headset. Caserio is basically a GM/coach. And I think it's going to limit the candidates available.
AustinCountyAg
SupaManu said:

rbcs_2 said:

did it with the Pats, did it with the Texans.....Hee Haw like to surround himself with the must "full of themselves" types of people he can. Imagine sitting in a room with the holy Easterbee, Cocaine Caserios, and Madden 20' Owner of the Year Hee Haw. The three biggest full of themselves, never wrong jackasses in all of sports. All part of the same franchise.
oh no
AG
lol @ Cal = Tommy Boy

Live look at Bob handing management of the Texans over to Cal before he died:
W
AG
that is one very entertaining thing about this...

the local media doesn't know what's going on.

they have lost their sources / leakers within the organization
W
AG
also wonder if the Texans are being a little stingy in contract negotiations with the new coach...

after paying Culley so much for 1 year
oh no
AG
it's mostly still a stop-gap placeholder like Culley was supposed to be anyway, right?

..for entertainment purposes, I'd love to see a reverse Ted Lasso approach.. Hire and old English footballer as head coach of an American football team. Maybe David Beckham or Wayne Rooney are available.
Sea Speed
AG
oh no said:

lol @ Cal = Tommy Boy

Live look at Bob handing management of the Texans over to Cal before he died:

I love that bilbo, who presumably still works for the organization, is calling him that on a public messageboard.
. . .
AustinCountyAg
lol. from zero to hero for Lovie. good thing he's black, if he was white he'd never be given this opportunity.
The Porkchop Express
Why don't they just rehire Dom Capers, assuming he's still alive.
IrishAg
. . . said:

So....you fire a transition coach after one year who has a guaranteed contract that you have to pay out the remaining 2 years on, to promote your defensive coordinator who is a .500 transitional head coach?

This would pretty much puts the team at 80s Tampa or New Orleans level disfunction. Which was only fixed when the teams were sold, if I remember correctly. This movement should push them right past Jax as the worst franchise in the NFL
bigjag19
AG
I posted the below on Facebook a year ago. I don't even know what to update it with.

A brief list of Texans "accomplishments..."

Fired Brian Gaine for literally no reason
Went after Caserio without knowing his contract
Got charged with tampering
Promoted a Youth Pastor to VP
Let BOB be the GM instead of hiring someone
Traded Clowney for a bag of beans
Overpaid in a trade for Duke Johnson
Got Prison ****ed in trading for Tunsil without negotiating an extension
Gave up the best WR in the game for David Johnson and a pair of Cleats
Overpaid for Fulton
Overpaid Martin
Overpaid Cunningham
Overpaid Merciless
Overpaid for Cobb
Overpaid McKinney
Traded more to get Cooks than they got for Hopkins
Overpaid for Murray
Released a book on how great they were
Fired their PR person who is generally regarded as one of the best
Spent $600k on a GM candidates list
Began Negotiating with a Candidate and then backed out
Ignored the list and hired Jack's BFF
Didn't request an interview of Bienemy until Watson was upset
Retain their OC before hiring a Head Coach
Hire the backup QB as a coach before hiring a HC
Hire someone who was never considered by any other team as a candidate to be their HC
07ag
AG
i mean, i guess lovie smith is a better choice than josh mccown, but, lovie's last 7 seasons as a head coach he's had a losing record. what are the texans expecting out of him they couldn't have gotten from culley?
https://ts.la/eric59704
AustinCountyAg
bigjag19 said:

I posted the below on Facebook a year ago. I don't even know what to update it with.

Overpaid for Fulton
Overpaid Martin
Overpaid Cunningham
Overpaid Merciless
Overpaid for Cobb
Overpaid McKinney
Overpaid for Murray
Hire someone who was never considered by any other team as a candidate to be their HC
can update with "hire someone who was never considered by their own team as a candidate to be their HC, as HC"
AustinCountyAg
07ag said:

i mean, i guess lovie smith is a better choice than josh mccown, but, lovie's last 7 seasons as a head coach he's had a losing record. what are the texans expecting out of him they couldn't have gotten from culley?
nothing, that's one of the problems.
Sea Speed
AG
"Quick, we need a black guy that isn't sue happy!"
Bobby Jimbo
AG
I just don't understand why the Texans apparently told Gannon that he's not their guy. He's a young coach, has coordinator experience, and apparently nailed his interview. It would only make sense to let Gannon know that he did not get the position if the Texans truly knew who their guy was. With this new Lovie Smith information, it sounds like they still don't know, unless Lovie was their guy all along? This whole thing does not make sense.
oh no
AG
Does Lovie have to hire McCown as an offensive assistant so he gets experience and there's more of an appetite for him as HC in a year or two?
JCA1
AG
Bobby Jimbo said:

I just don't understand why the Texans apparently told Gannon that he's not their guy. He's a young coach, has coordinator experience, and apparently nailed his interview. It would only make sense to let Gannon know that he did not get the position if the Texans truly knew who their guy was. With this new Lovie Smith information, it sounds like they still don't know, unless Lovie was their guy all along? This whole thing does not make sense.
I think they were down to Flores and McCown. Flores' lawsuit blew up both of them. They now don't want to hire Flores because he would likely pull back the curtain on this Mickey Mouse outfit when he's inevitably fired. They can't hire McCown because that would likely make them the target of Flores' lawsuit and would result in every talking head on ESPN, etc. going on about the Texans hiring a guy who's literally never coached before over qualified minority candidates.

Because of all these potential PR issues, they probably dumped Gannon because they decided they had to go with a minority candidate now. So Lovie it is.
AustinCountyAg
Bobby Jimbo said:

maybe Gannon had a problem with a Young Life youth pastor making roster decisions, or the fact that the GM would literally be micro managing every practice/game? I mean really, what experienced, successful head coach would ever want to take the job?.....

don't tell me Lovie. that dude is getting a paycheck then riding off into retirement sunset.
chico
AG
bigjag19 said:

Overpaid for Fulton
Overpaid Martin
Overpaid Cunningham
Overpaid Merciless
Overpaid for Cobb
Overpaid McKinney
Overpaid for Murray
How about inviting disgraced ex-Baylor coach Art Briles to attend a practice? The glowing write-up on this is still on the Texans website.
Art Briles guest at Texans' practice
Ag_07
AG
It's so obvious this is what's going on.

If Lovie was a legit candidate he'd have been interviewed early on. Especially since he's currently on this staff.
Marvin
AG
Just laugh at the Texans and move on. The stupid decisions list will grow until silver spoon Cal sells the team.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
JCA1 said:

Because of all these potential PR issues, they probably dumped Gannon because they decided they had to go with a minority candidate now. So Lovie it is.

If being worried about PR issues (specifically regarding race) is what is driving this decision, then Caserio deserves to be canned. Outside of the racial issues, Gannon would probably be the "safest" hire of the candidates. He has coordinator experience and isn't suing the team. Promoting Lovie means that we fired one bridge HC to hire another bridge HC. If the plan truly is to use Lovie as a bridge HC to hire someone else down the road (McCown?), won't that cause even more PR issues? Texans firing another black coach after a short stint. Think about the media spin in that situation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.