Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

467,928 Views | 3072 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by AgFlyGuy
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bummed out to be locked in the big city for the weekend but making the best of it... Trying some spoon flies for those days where the water is off color and the fish aren't moving. If the USPS gets here soon, may try a shrimpadillo. Make the best of Easter Weekend... Looks like it is beer-30!

LRHF
rather be fishing
AG
A buddy of mine won the Gordy free trip give away with Ben Paschal. He has little to no fly fishing experience, but I'm excited for him.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Nice. I'd pay just for this wind to calm down a bit and sun stay out long enough to be able to go.
LRHF
AG
Anybody fish a rod built with Gamma Beta blanks? They are made by North Fork Composites and designed by Gary Loomis.

A friend built an 8 wt and did some yard casting this weekend. The 8 wt was easy to cast for short and intermediate accuracy but plenty stiff for long distance. My fishing partner is going to build me a 9 wt.

Funny thing about the blank finish, looks exactly like a G. Loomis rod I have from 20 Yrs ago.
SabineAg
AG
Capt. Owen Gayler has his 2018 Sabine Micro up for sale. $27,000. He just picked up his new 2020 Sabine Versatile (which is sick) so it's time to let his micro go to someone new.

This skiff is well taken care of and has fished the entire Texas coast - somehow made it in one piece during our border to bayou trip last August.

Also if you're looking for a trip he's got plenty of openings right now due to this corona so hit him up.

https://instagr.am/p/B-xLtyGjt-5
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
If anybody has a line on a square stern Indian River Canoe I'm in the market
AgFlyGuy
AG
NRD09 said:

I'll check, I've got a friend who will be looking to get rid of his soon
Ayto Siks
Tarpon season is in full swing. I think beach and ramp access here is currently locked down, but some guides are still getting after it.

Already sent my usual guide a text and pre-paid for the next available spot...

https://instagr.am/p/B_Ug44BD1jx
TarponChaser

Nothing like laid-up poon.

I'm still planning to make my trip over there.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

NRD09 said:

I'll check, I've got a friend who will be looking to get rid of his soon

Sweet definitely let me know! Post up here and I can get you my phone number
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
that video just got me all kinds of fired up. Need the dam wind to lay down here
LRHF
AG
We made a weekend trip to Matagorda. We had a free place to stay, so the girls came down and we split time between light spin tackle and fly. The forecast was for wind but we found some places with shelter and had some success.

Enjoyed a happy hour on the boat with the girls and some shrimp soaking. Super slow day on Saturday but just happy to be out of quarentine for a few days!

Some vodka or gin, a ball of ice, fresh limes and a little music made for a fun afternoon on the water.

Sunday morning was in the 60's and we found some places that had very little wind for a couple of hours. We managed some redfish, flounder and trout on the fly. We are new to this area but definately looking forward to a return trip with a better weather forecast.

Always fun to see what Mr. Red is eating

The boat captain with a nice trout on the fly (I'm going to have to tie some of these secret trout flies!)

Looking forward to spending some more time exploring the area!

LRHF
TexasAg2017
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Capt. Owen Gayler has his 2018 Sabine Micro up for sale. $27,000. He just picked up his new 2020 Sabine Versatile (which is sick) so it's time to let his micro go to someone new.

This skiff is well taken care of and has fished the entire Texas coast - somehow made it in one piece during our border to bayou trip last August.

Also if you're looking for a trip he's got plenty of openings right now due to this corona so hit him up.

https://instagr.am/p/B-xLtyGjt-5

Man I'd do some stuff for that skiff! Kinda sad I'm putting all this work into mine at the moment.
SabineAg
AG
Its all good! You'll just have to buy mine when I upgrade to a new model in a year or two....
TexasAg2017
AG
What are you running these days? I don't remember seeing it in the previous pages.

*Edit* The versatile
SabineAg
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BslJueNjUZ6

Often seen on the Sabine skiffs page. Should be out running with a couple of the other Sabine's in POC this weekend.
TexasAg2017
AG
Are you out of Rockport? I swear I saw that exact boat turning down 1781 off of 35 a while back. Sweet looking skiff
SabineAg
AG
I've been up and down the coast fishing... i mean social discancing** all over the place throughout this rona pandemic. I spent a couple weeks in Rockport so it's pretty likely you did see me.
TexasAg2017
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

I've been up and down the coast fishing... i mean social discancing** all over the place throughout this rona pandemic. I spent a couple weeks in Rockport so it's pretty likely you did see me.

Post in here next time you head this way. I'd love to checkout the skiff and drink a beer.
texican08
AG
TexasAg2017, are you in the Rockport area? I'm in CC and always looking to connect with a fellow Aggie/Fly Fisher
LRHF
AG
Check out the full length move Spartacus on moldy Chum. If you haven't seen seen the video, they are fishing for Tarpon around the world. Super cool video of monster tarpon in the Jungles of Costa Rica.

http://www.moldychum.com

Yellowdog is also releasing some of their full length movies weekly. Hopefully you have already seen some of the previous films.

LRHF
TexasAg2017
AG
texican08 said:

TexasAg2017, are you in the Rockport area? I'm in CC and always looking to connect with a fellow Aggie/Fly Fisher
I'm in Rockport. I've been exploring St. Charles and that area but I'm probably gonna start fishing towards Aransas Pass once my boat gets out of the shop.
aarontx
I try to make it down to Rockport to fish once or twice a month. Always looking to meet new anglers in the area. Email me at aarontxsrf at yahoo dot com.
LRHF
AG
Anybody have a favorite outboard mechanic to fix or replace a bent prop shaft? The engine is a 70 hp Yamaha. Looking for a shop in or around Houston. TIA
AgFlyGuy
AG
LRHF said:

Anybody have a favorite outboard mechanic to fix or replace a bent prop shaft? The engine is a 70 hp Yamaha. Looking for a shop in or around Houston. TIA

Steve Hicks at Meeks Outboard. (281) 535-9206
LRHF
Ayto Siks
It took a while, but I was finally able to connect with my guide and fish the Everglades.

Started the day with some skinny water snook. They were hugging the shoreline and hiding in the shadows of mangrove overhangs. Very tough to spot against the shadows and roots - especially when they're motionless. Even harder to sneak a cast in there.

They wouldn't come out and chase anything short, and any long casts were guaranteed snags. On the bright side, they were in ambush mode, so any well-placed fly had instant results. I had to shake a fly or two out of the trees, but managed to get plenty of snook in my hands.

We never saw any big snook, so we switched gears and went for reds. These guys were a lot easier to catch. For starters, they were not buried in the trees. They were in the open on mud banks. Some were cruising slow, some were tailing, but they were all obvious. They also weren't very picky on flies.

There were piles of sheepshead on the banks. I really wanted to catch one, but after spooking a few and ruining an entire area, I left those boogers alone.

Went looking for some laid up tarpon, and ran into the cast of characters that makes ENP special. We saw sea turtles, manatees, eagles, sawfish, dolphins, etc.

Finally ran into a few laid up tarpon in the 20-50 pound range, and this is where the wheels fell off. I'm not sure if it was switching from my personal 7wt to the guide's 11wt, nerves, or just plain ineptitude, but I couldn't close... and I don't know when (or if) I'll ever get a chance at redemption. It's been a few days, but I still can't get these scenes out of my head.

LRHF
AG
Nice TR and great pics!

Looks like very little wind, maybe a 9 wt would have made a big difference. I hate that feeling of using a rod I'm not used to in stressful situation! Time to plot your redemption
Mark Fairchild
AG
Fished a spot in the Mangroves in Belize that looks EXACTLY like the picture above the last pic. Water so clear you could see the Tarpon come out to take the fly. Did my top water thing and jerked it right out of its mouth as it was about to clamp down. It happens to us all!!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
LRHF
AG
Thanks AgFlyGuy, your recommendation worked great for my buddy. They were able to repair quickly, this will become our new outboard maintenance guy!
Silky Johnston
There is a 2015 Ankona Native 17 with an evinrude 40 tiller (50 hours) for $14k that has a jack plate, trim tabs, and a few other add ons. Looks like it is in good condition as well.

Is this a decent deal?
AgFlyGuy
AG
I'd say that's close to fair value, maybe a touch high. Hard to confirm without seeing it. I'd think it'd be in the $12-14k range.
Whitehouse Road
AG
Is the Orvis Encounter (9' 8wt) a decent set up for a beginner?

Located in Ft Myers, FL. Targeting trout, reds, and snook.
Ayto Siks
That's the combo I started with. Really enjoyed it, but never tested it on anything big. Just a bunch of 20" snook and juvi tarpon. Not sure how it would handle a red.

Centerpole90
AG
Did you see the posts from the Hawley tournament?? Weather looked brutal. Eyeballz IG post made me seasick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.