Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

462,647 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by TarponChaser
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holiday weekends are usually miserable for serious fishermen because of the crowds.

But it's always hot. Today, tomorrow, Labor Day. That said, being out on the coast is usually cooler bc sea breeze.
dr_boogs
AG
It'll be hot. Fish will be lethargic by 10:30-11, right as light gets good. Get out early and try and find some tailers to cast to while light is still down.

That time of year they just won't eat a fly most of the time in the afternoon on a shallow flat. We often poll up to them and have to tap them w a pole and wake them up. When they are in a heat coma you can drag a fly across their face a lot of times and they won't eat.

In PM best bet is to find a little deeper water that you can still see them or at least see their wakes, but that has deeper water or cuts adjacent to the flat so the fish can find cooler water.

Inshore boat traffic will be heavy. Airboat brigades will be out in force partying on the holiday weekend. But a flats skiff can get skinny and a day on the water chasing reds on the fly beats a day doing almost anything else, so I say go for it and post pics of your trip!
chocolatelabs
AG
thanks sir for the input.

Decided to go north for
Cooler weather.

We are coming to coast in Oct and I'll prolly book a trip with fly fish rockport again.
Ayto Siks
Do I make a lengthy trip report? There's no fall redfish updates... thread might be fading.... how about some pics and brief captions instead.

Moved back to Florida and started hitting up google maps like the old days. Found several spots to try along the SW coast from Tampa to the 10K Islands. No boat, but no problem driving and hiking anywhere.

The goal is virgin water and impulsive baby tarpon and snook. Pretty unlikely considering how many others surf maps, but not impossible. Since I'm not fishing obvious places and willing to get off the trail, there are some decent prospects.

Dropped some pins and took 3 road trips to investigate them all.

The first spot is pretty far inland, but clearly still tidal. Here is the same spot at low and high tide.

I was excited because it actually looked un-fished. No trampled ground, no litter... Ended up with some baby snook and luckily lost a tarpon before someone driving by could see it cartwheeling through the air.

Second spot, saw some rollers, but couldnt connect.

Third spot was heavily fished. Gave up quickly. Saw this cool iguana though.

Fourth spot... I would say this place is gently used. Maybe certified pre-owned. Caught a gar and some more baby snook before a gator became too comfy.

Next spot. Saw a tarpon roll. Then another. Then another in the exact same spot as the first roller. Got a cast in there and pulled out.... a husky snook.

It's a 2 hour drive home from this current spot, but I had one more place to try on this particular road trip. First cast and instantly caught a cichlid.

Then hiked to another area and changed flies. Tossed the new fly into the water to get saturated and stripped line off the reel. A tarpon ate it just sitting there.

Let that guy go, then the same thing happened. At this point it's 2 tarpon on 0 casts. Ended up catching 5 or 6 and losing a dozen more in the next 45 minutes.

It got too dark and the splashes were drawing unwanted attention, so I started to hike back to my truck for the long trip home.

I had one more place in mind, but it's *right* on a road, so it's not a great idea. I pulled over to the shoulder, pointed my headlights to the water, then caught a few more tarpon.

Didn't take long before I felt uneasy near the water, so finally called it and left 'em biting. Dang, this post isn't brief at all.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the thread bump! Looks like an awesome day. Very impressive you were able to catch all those species on the same trip with walk in only.

Still haven't caught a snook or tarpon on the fly. Working on a FL trip in 2024 to try to make that happen.

I just got back from a long weekend in Mexico and will have some photos to post. Will try and do it this weekend.
Ayto Siks
Let me know where you end up going for your tarpon and snook quest. Worst case scenario, the beaches have snook in the summer.

Looking forward to the Mexico pics!
dr_boogs
AG
Was supposed to go chase bull reds on the fly out of Venice, LA for 4 days last week. My fishing partner and I fly fish w a guide there a couple times a year, he's rock solid. He called us 24 hours before we were going to fly over and said the weather was going to crap, last 2 days unfishable because of wind. Water was going to be high, dirty, and it was going to be cloudy and raining. He offered to move dates to next year so we took it.

That left us with open dates on the calendar w 24 hours to go. The entire gulf coast was completely clouded in last week with rain and wind. We checked our tarpon guides in the keys. Booked and weather looked terrible. POC and Seadrift were raining w clouds and wind. We checked LLM and our guide there said it was a no go because of weather. So I resigned myself to a lost few days of fishing and went back to work.

An hour later my buddy texts…..new plan, let's go to Mexico and chase dorado and roosters. After hearing him out, I said what the heck, let's go.

We flew to Cabo from Houston, took a 1 hour transfer to Los Barrilles. It's on the southeast side of The Baja peninsula on the sea of Cortez. It's just now getting into windy season there but it was sunny and weather was perfect other than the high winds in the afternoon.

Here's a view of the sea and the mountains.

We booked pangas/superpangas the first two days and went a few miles off shore and trolled for dorado and sailfish w teasers. When a fish would come up, we'd use the bait and switch method, reeling the teaser in before the fish could eat it and then cast our flies to the fish trying to hit the teaser.

Got my first ever dorado on a fly rod, 10 wt was put to the test.

We caught another on the fly and 2 more on traditional tackle. Coolest thing on day 1 was we raised a sailfish w a teaser and my buddy missed him by a foot w a fly cast. We almost hooked up on a sailfish w the fly. It was sweet to just see it come up and hit th teaser and get a shot w the fly.

We got back at 1, took some dorado to a cook your catch restaurant, and cruised the beach in a quad looking for cruising roosters in the surf but the winds were up in the afternoon. So we headed to the hotel and picked up our mahi for dinner - fresh self-caught dorado sushi.

Day 2, rinse and repeat. We got a super panga and went out a little farther. Caught 2 more dorado on the fly, one a really nice bull. That was a blast, caught him on a 12 wt.

We had to fly home the next day, but wanted to get some fishing in early. We booked a guide who specializes in roosters, and went and got some sardines and headed to some jetties where the roosters are known to hang. Guide chummed w the sardines and we both caught roosters, 11 between the 2 of us. They were small schoolies but the speed at which they crushed the surface after the bait was epic. The sight of those roosters crushing w their formal combs out of the water will be a forever memory.

Here's a few photos of a sea of Cortez sunrise. And the offshore boats loading up w the sports (guests) before heading out.

And here's sunset from the quad.

It was a great last minute trip, got 2 new species on the fly and had a great time w my fishing buddy. Outstanding food, great and interesting people, fantastic weather, and awesome fishing. Would definitely go again.
LRHF
AG
Great pivot! Would love to fish Cabo one day with a fly rod this time.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks LHRF. It was a blast!
dr_boogs
AG
Finally getting around to posting a trip update from our January trip out of Venice, LA. Went with my best friend/ fly fishing buddy. This was the trip that was cancelled for weather twice, once in 2022, again in fall of 2023. Finally made it over and fished 3 days (he fished 4). Wow had a fantastic trip.

Got my first big nasty on the fly on Day 1. I've missed few of these guys fishing on the Texas coast (wrong fly, just wouldn't eat) but finally got one to eat over in LA. It was cloudy and windy, water clarity wasn't great, he just kind of popped up within 20 ft of the boat and I was lucky enough to put in on his nose. One of those reflex shots. Looking at that photo, I can still feel the slime from here.

Day 2 was the best weather-wise. Here's some photos of our guide's Waterman, launching from the marina.

We fished a decent sized bay and were lucky enough to find groups of bull reds working shrimp under birds (our guide knew where to find em). We had an absolute blast. We doubled up 7-8 times, catching fish on 10 wts that were 38-40 inches. It was a top 5 fly fishing day for sure. This day alone made it a trip of a lifetime. My buddy got an epic eat on a topwater popper, got a pretty good video of the eat.

Day 3 was cloudy and cold, wind blowing hard, we started out trying to find some fish to sight cast to, but it wasn't happening, so we hit the same bay system and while they weren't working the birds like the day before, there were still some schools working but they would break up after you caught one fish out of them. So we took turns working each school, no doubling up on Day 3.

Look mom, no spot! Caught 2 bull reds without spots, one on day 2, the other on day 3.

It was a fantastic trip, can't say enough about the fishery. Nothing better than being out on the water with your best friend, doubled up on bull reds, sun shining, birds working, great day to be alive.

LRHF
AG
The Dr putting in some work lately, Looks like a great trip thanks for sharing! Despite the reference to clouds, looks like pretty good light, congrats on good timing for this trip (finally)!
Ayto Siks
Quote:

We doubled up 7-8 times, catching fish on 10 wts that were 38-40 inches

Wow! That's incredible. All beautiful fish with vivid colors, too. It seems like every red I've ever caught has been faded, washed out, and not lived up to its name. Those are some beauties.
DV04
AG
Great trip!!! Nice to see this thread pop up again.
Al Bula
AG
Fished the backcountry flats (out of islamorada) earlier this month for big poon. Found a laid up female with two or three males… had two follows and swam off. Found another all alone and not interested in my fly whatsoever.

Maddening. That damn tarpon staring at me from 20 feet away haunts me weeks later.

My guide had me do the two hand retrieve so I've got some practice to look forward to for getting the fly to move just right with that technique. I've been casting on my pond for bass and two-handing it just because it pisses me off so much. They don't like my two hand either LOL!

Anyway, sightfished a snook earlier in the day so the trip wasn't a bust by any stretch. That area is so incredibly amazing, spending time in the backcountry is a treat even on bad days. It can be an expensive eco-tour but worth it.

Was hoping to at least get to throw at some juvenile tarpon but my guide said the seasonal trout guys who trailer down to the keys were completely messing that up, and I believe that since I've got little poons with him before. In any event I was there for the big ones even though it was a bit early.

Saw my first saltwater croc, cast at a a Juvy Goliath grouper, spooked some reds and sheepies, saw a baby sawfish, lots of sharks species. Rays, sea turtles, manatee… just a wonder of nature that thankfully is preserved if Florida can get their water issues sorted out.

I urge anyone who appreciates Florida keys fishing to look into Captains for Clean Water and see what they are doing over there, but you really have to fish it to understand what could go away.
Newoldarmy
AG
Fished Abaco over Spring Break.

We had two boats for four days and one on the last day and I think we totaled 94 bones.

Freelance with Danny Sawyer and Town Williams.

Saw two permit, but no shots.

The Marls are amazing, but those mangroves are probably 90% or more dead from Dorian.

Let me know if you have questions.

chocolatelabs
AG
Boogs,

Who was the guide? I need to book a trip.
dr_boogs
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Quote:

We doubled up 7-8 times, catching fish on 10 wts that were 38-40 inches

Wow! That's incredible. All beautiful fish with vivid colors, too. It seems like every red I've ever caught has been faded, washed out, and not lived up to its name. Those are some beauties.
I said the same thing to our guide. He claimed it was because those schools had been feeding on shrimp hard for a few months and that really makes their colors pop more.
dr_boogs
AG
Capt. John West. All I have is his cell and don't want to post it online, so let me know how to reach out to you - cell phone or whatever - and I'll text you. After I send it you can delete your info if you want to.
chocolatelabs
AG
email me. dahale2517@sbcglobal dot net.

thanks sir.
TarponChaser
dr_boogs said:

Capt. John West. All I have is his cell and don't want to post it online, so let me know how to reach out to you - cell phone or whatever - and I'll text you. After I send it you can delete your info if you want to.

John is a great dude and Aggie. Known him for 10+ years now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.