Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,405 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Airboats reminded me of this gem... https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2603379/1#discussion

Then I started comparing handles to the trout mortality discussion that popped up here...
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2873827
elnaco
AG
If anyone is looking to get a small microskiff, this is an option a lot of fly fisherman in TX used to use. It's a cheaper and lighter option than a gheenoe and can be customized easily. I don't think they're made anymore so this may be a steal.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/indian-river-skiff-canoe-boat/6220521922.html
RickSawyer
AG
Fairly certain that 'outboard' is a repurposed weedeater!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Fairly certain that 'outboard' is a repurposed weedeater!

Tomato, tomahto
elnaco
AG
I believe that is what they call "custom".

Salt of the water
AG
What are y'alls thoughts on backing for a 10 wt outfit? I'm hoping to chase tarpon, jacks, bonita, cobia, and maybe even permit some day with this rig.

Should I go with trusty ol' dacron or try a spectra braid? If dacron, 20 lb or 30 lb? I'm running 20 lb dacron on my 8 wts and haven't had any issues, but I'm hoping this 10 wt outfit gets tested a little more.

I read that some people are using 50 lb powerpro for added capacity, any other advantages/disadvantages when compared to dacron?
elnaco
AG
Salt of the water said:

What are y'alls thoughts on backing for a 10 wt outfit? I'm hoping to chase tarpon, jacks, bonita, cobia, and maybe even permit some day with this rig.

Should I go with trusty ol' dacron or try a spectra braid? If dacron, 20 lb or 30 lb? I'm running 20 lb dacron on my 8 wts and haven't had any issues, but I'm hoping this 10 wt outfit gets tested a little more.

I read that some people are using 50 lb powerpro for added capacity, any other advantages/disadvantages when compared to dacron?
Personally I'd stick with dacron. Hollow core spectra is all the rage. I've used it mostly with offshore wind on leaders and is great bc you can do blind splices and all sorts of cool knotless connections, but it's extremely expensive compared to dacron. You may be able to pack more spectra onto the spool than dacron but why let a fish pull that much of your backing out? With that much line out dragging through the water your class tippet is probably going to break and if you're running just a straight heavy leader than you're risking losing your fly line at that point. That's just my opinion and for what it's worth I don't have that much experience with heavier fly rods, but I did go through this same exercise putting my 12wt setup together. Basically it came down to if you can find the spectra for a good deal or can justify the extra expense go for it, but dacron still works just fine.

I went 30lb backing on my 12wt rig. My thought was if I'm using a 20lb class tippet as my "fuse" then I want some margin of error between it and my backing so I don't lose my fly line. Also use the appropriate knot to connect your fly line and backing. Bimini's and blind splices are both ~99.9% knot strength to line rating knots.

Braid, don't do it. Even at 50lb it can still cut the ever living crap out of your fingers and your fly line.
Ayto Siks
I'm no help. My backing stays packed nice and tight on the spool; its never seen daylight.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'm personally just using good old Dacron, whatever the fly shop has. I think it's the Cortland Micron stuff and even on a few big tarpon I've never felt like I didn't have enough backing capacity. 20# on my 8wt rigs and 30# on the 10wt & 12wt rigs.

I've considered going to gel spun but if you ask 10 different guys you'll get no consensus. Some will claim that gel-spun will cut you like a razor and others claim that's antiquated thinking and it won't cut you at all.
elnaco
AG
Spun up my unnamed fly in blue crab. I'm digging this color scheme

Tarponfly
AG
That is an excellent looking fly.
elnaco
AG
Thank you sir. It's a pattern I've been messing around with lately that's simple but effective. Haven't had a chance to field test this one, but I doubt it'll have trouble getting eaten.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Spun up my unnamed fly in blue crab. I'm digging this color scheme

I'll take all the rejects ya got!
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone fishing this weekend? Looks like the middle and upper coast might get a bit of a "flood tide".
saltydog13
AG
My Kayak is ready to go
elnaco
AG
How about I just give you a couple of production quality ones with the promise that you'll fish them exclusively on your next few trips and give me some feedback?

Tarponfly that goes for you or anyone else who fishes regularly.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

How about I just give you a couple of production quality ones with the promise that you'll fish them exclusively on your next few trips and give me some feedback?

Tarponfly that goes for you or anyone else who fishes regularly.
Okay!
elnaco
AG
Well it looks like my offshore hitch is going to get messed up by Harvey so maybe now I'll just go work on my double haul in some tropical storm force winds.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Well it looks like my offshore hitch is going to get messed up by Harvey so maybe now I'll just go work on my double haul in some tropical storm force winds.

If you like flood tides you'll love surge tides!
Salt of the water
AG
reddog90 said:

August. Post up a trip report, have fun.

reddog90
AG
Three nights at the Hilton in Moorea and five nights at the Sofitel Private Island in Bora Bora. It was the trip of a lifetime in such an awesome place. I have tons of landscape shots and footage from diving, but here is the only thread-related pictures.

Pup black tips and blue fin trevally would push bait to the shore each morning at our resort in Bora Bora. It was so cool to watch the little sharks fly through ankle deep water with their backs and dorsal fins out of the water with bait jumping and birds diving. The packs of juvenile trevally would race in from deeper cuts into the shallow flat pushing huge wakes as well.

I only fished two mornings in Bora Bora. First morning - started my wade too late and missed the shark/trevally action. I moved down the flat to a reef and had a ~3' moray eel eat my clouser while stripping line off at my feet. He retreated back to the depths of hell from which he came and I broke off on the rocks. Second morning - started my wade on time and was in the water for the feeding frenzy at first light. I was targeting the small black tips with a shark fly. I had a couple refusals from sharks, so I moved down the flat to some deeper water where the trevally had been exploding bait earlier. I was wading in about dick-deep water when the pack suddenly appeared between me and the shore. They were so close and the water so clear that I could see the color in their eyeballs. I **** the bed and lobbed a crappy 25' cast ahead of the pack. Several passed, I picked up and laid another ****ty cast a little further ahead. Two strips later, came tight on this little guy. It was a hard eat and he got to my backing in just a couple seconds. He hung up on a rock for a little while which I think is what made that mark on his side. My gear performed great and it was a lot of fun on an 8 wt. Hindsight's 20/20 but I wish I had fished every morning at that resort.

Ayto Siks
Wow.
reddog90
AG

This is not their normal hectic feeding action, but shows the water depth and clarity. I counted 16 one morning.

Fishing grounds.

Snorkeling with big black tips. We saw turtles, eagle rays, and big lemon sharks diving.
Salt of the water
AG
Very nice!
Ayto Siks
Edit: I'll repost with smaller pic sizes...

Been practicing casts for a while... working on distance, accuracy, back casts, and even left handed casting. Booked a guide in the Everglades yesterday to test everything out from the bow.

We saw 100+ black drum on a mud flat. They were floating high, swimming fast, and uncooperative. I couldn't get one to eat, so I asked the guide to show me how it's done. He caught one on his first cast.

I had more luck with tarpon and snook. Finished the day with 8 tarpon and 2 snook. Really wanted a bigger poon, but it wasn't meant to be. There are some resident 50 pounders that don't migrate, but we couldn't track em down.

Turns out that my practice was kind of a waste of time for Everglades style fishing. Apparently I need a better short game. Quicker, shorter casts at lower angles would have helped a lot. Quicker being the real key. It was frustrating to be so close to the fish.. sounds backwards, but I wanted to back up and throw more line. Practicing is fun, so I'm not complaining.

I use this guide several times a year, and he tells me about places to catch tarpon on foot. To return the favor, I told the him about a place to catch peacock bass. He was skeptical, so on my way home I pulled over and caught one. Realizing I was only a largemouth away from some kind of South Florida fresh-salt slam, I checked the roadside ditches until I closed the deal. Took me forever to catch the LMB. Aside from the drum, it was the toughest fish of the day.

RickSawyer
AG
Especially when I am fishing my skiff solo, most shots are in the 20-30' range with some chip shots even tighter. For that reason, my preferred poling rod is 8'6" GLoomis Shorestalker 7wt. I feel like it gives me better accuracy for tight shots.
Salt of the water
AG
Well done!
Ayto Siks
Have any pointers for those super close casts? Tried a couple different techniques, results were meh.
NW80
AG
Lay your back cast on the water, then let the water load the rod as you start your forward cast.
No false casting and won't spook fish!
Salt of the water
AG
You could over line your rod by a weight for the close shots. Should help you load quicker.

Or you could get a shorter softer rod that is easier and quicker to load in tight quarters. Glass would definitely meet your casting requirements, but it may not have the backbone to keep the snook out of the mangroves.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/fly-fishing/bargain-cave-rods-reels-line%7C/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105764580/cabelas-prime-fly-rod/1883912.uts?slotId=14
elnaco
AG
I'm not one for potlicking but after seeing post #2 on this thread, I may have to go do some exploring

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2379290

I've always heard of people catching juvis in Caney on dock lights but this is just absurd.

How'd all the Houston folks fare from the storm? Rick I saw your post in the Hurricane thread about your dad's sailboat, really hope it survived bud.
rather be fishing
AG
If everything works out, I'll get some time on the water in Brownsville today or tomorrow.
Centerpole90
AG
I heard the winner of the TIFT tournament tarpon division caught all theirs in the Arroyo Colorado this year.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Rick I saw your post in the Hurricane thread about your dad's sailboat, really hope it survived bud.

Still can't get an answer down there on the status of Callisto man. Been scowering social media to try and find her without much luck yet.
Centerpole90
AG
Ahrgghh.. Things on the beach don't look here until mid-next week when the winds swing around and flatten the Gulf back out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.