Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,461 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a lull in the wind for a bit today, and the shots were up close and personal, so I strung up the glass rod. Haven't used it in a couple years.

After a couple practice casts to slow my stroke down, we started easing across the flat. Saw a fish laid up in the grass at 20 ft. Plopped a crabbit fly in front of him and entertainment ensued.

If you've never thrown a glass rod, you should try it at least once. They're slow and whippy, but have great feel and are a blast to fight fish on.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
recommendations on a decent 8/9wt reel I can pick up used for around $100? Decided I need to overline my 8wt TiCr and might as well put a better reel on while I'm at it. Have Lamson Konic and Behemoth on other rods, like them both fine, leaning toward finding another Konic if I can find one, or another behemoth if I can't, unless you guys have other suggestions (edit: scratch the behemoth...I have an 11wt line on an 8/9 model and it's a monster, too big for this rod)

Salt what glass rod is that? Was thinking about getting one to stick my cheap reel and nearly-new rio wf-8-f on, was thinking a 7wt fenglass might be the ticket
rather be fishing
AG
NRD09 said:

recommendations on a decent 8/9wt reel I can pick up used for around $100? Decided I need to overline my 8wt TiCr and might as well put a better reel on while I'm at it. Have Lamson Konic and Behemoth on other rods, like them both fine, leaning toward finding another Konic if I can find one, or another behemoth if I can't, unless you guys have other suggestions

Salt what glass rod is that? Was thinking about getting one to stick my cheap reel and nearly-new rio wf-8-f on, was thinking a 7wt fenglass might be the ticket

I know several people who have bought Epic glass rods and like them. I have an old Fenwick ff79 6wt glass rod that I love. If you wanted to go real cheap, you should be able to find an old Fenwick for around $100, but those new Fenglass rods aren't that much more.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Been reading lots of good things about the fenglass, looks like I can pick one up brand new for $170. Might as well, right!?
Salt of the water
AG
NRD09 said:

Cabelas cgr 7/8. They're cheap at $70, and fun for close shots. I throw it with a Rio 7wt floating line.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
ah thanks, have read a lot of good things about those as well!
Salt of the water
AG
The ticr is a fast rod, but I'm not so sure that it's fast enough to require a step up to 9wt line. What Rio line are you throwing? Have you tried wulff Bermuda triangle taper? Something around 240-250 grain should do it.

If you end up getting a glass stick, then you'll have something for the close work and can leave the Ticr rigged up for distance and punch into the wind.

You may be able to find a used 3 tand or mid range Allen for a Benjamin if you shop at it for a while. Or you could just go with a new orvis Clearwater.
rather be fishing
AG
Check this facebook group: Fly Fishing Gear Buy, Sell, Or Trade

Lots of deals to be had on things, but things go fast. Join then post what you're looking for and odds are someone will be willing to sell something that matches what you want.
rather be fishing
AG
I have a Ross Rapid 8wt reel that has been discontinued. New, it was like $130. It's a 1-piece drag that is easy to clean. It's been excellent for me in the salt. I do pull out a toothbrush and give it a good scrub after all saltwater trips, though.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thanks Salt, I had an 8wt triangle taper on it for years and never felt like the rod loaded up the way I would like, so I bought this rio 8wt line (think it's the warmwater?) 2 or 3 years ago on the premise that they run a little heavy, but it still feels whippy to me. The last guide I fished with has been a tfo rep forever, cast it some and said I'd really like the rod overlined a bit so that's kind of what I'm trying to throw money at right now. Again, I may just suck at casting but my 9wt rod (overlined with a 10wt) feels like a completely different animal than this one and I guess I'm going for that feel. I should probably just sell everything but that 9wt and buy a really nice 6 or 7wt setup to complement it.
edit: dug through my box o fly line boxes and now I'm really confused. The triangle taper I had had on it was a 9wt, the 8wt line is a SA (not a rio), I think I just don't like the rod. $100. Anybody interested?

rather be fishing, thanks for the info
Salt of the water
AG
Makes sense. Wulff btt and Rio summer redfish are both about the same grain weight, 243 vs 240 respectively. That'd explain why the Rio wasn't loading the rod any better.

8 wt Rio bonefish quickshooter at 290 may have been the ticket.
rather be fishing
AG
Good deal on a 1pc G.Loomis Crosscurrent if anyone is looking:

https://austin.craigslist.org/spo/d/austin-gloomis-crosscurrent-pro-1-8wt/6945724990.html
Salt of the water
AG
Couple of decent starter skiffs for sale in Corpus if anyone is looking for a budget fly fishing boat.

Gladesman
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/aransas-pass-2005-gladesman-18/6935506194.html
Not sure if the spray rails are factory or added after the fact. They may make the hull be a little noisier than originally.

Gheenoe NMZ
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/corpus-christi-gheenoe-nmz-15-skiff/6927487421.html
Needs a trailer and motor but is still a decent deal compared to driving to Florida.
Centerpole90
AG
Is that your Pro1? Do you fish with one?

The first one I ever touched was with a buddy when we were bobbing around the sandbars offshore on his skiff - and I fell in love. I endeavored that I was going to have myself done in 8 & 10... but my fishing activity kinda waned like my posting on this thread - so it hasn't happened - YET.

If you're fishing from home in your own skiff they are the heat, not so for traveling. Anyway, a vote her for the quality of the crosscurrent pro1. The one piece design and continuity of material the length of the rod make it a casting machine - at least in my experience with a 10wt.
rather be fishing
AG
Not mine, just been scouring used markets for a Tibor and came across it really close to the house.

If I had a skiff and the time to be on the coast regularly, I'd probably pick it up. I've heard good things about them, but I'd have to buy a rod vault just to transport it.

Salt of the water
AG
No need for a rod vault. Just go straight to aforementioned skiff and make sure it has rod tubes / holders to move the Loomis around in. Two birds one stone.

In fact... There's a sweet little gladesman with just such holders a couple posts up.
rather be fishing
AG
Salt of the water said:

No need for a rod vault. Just go straight to aforementioned skiff and make sure it has rod tubes / holders to move the Loomis around in. Two birds one stone.

In fact... There's a sweet little gladesman with just such holders a couple posts up.

I saw. I tried to talk a friend into buying it.
Centerpole90
AG
You know NW80 was a Tibor Freestone guy. I think he had 2-3 of them... This one is not his but it's a closeup of one - They were the 'just right' size kinda reel. The fact They're rare as hen's teeth adds to the cool factor.

Actually his -

I'd love that picture a lot more if I hadn't had the trolling motor on. We started off for the Gulf and it was rough - pic was taken in the East Cut. The next day we just did bay and left the trolling motor behind.
dr_boogs
AG
Great photos! He looks so proud and yet still crotchety at the same time!
rather be fishing
AG
They're pretty reels, I'll find one one of these days. Tibor is starting to go oilfield trash with the frost white bodies, and they just don't look like a classic reel anymore.

I was looking back at a dr_boogs thread asking for rod/reel recs and saw that NW80 agreed with me on Ross being a quality cheap reel. Made me proud.
RickSawyer
AG
Hey guys, pretty sweet deal on a Gordon Waterman very similar to mine in Pasadena, TX... 20k is a really nice price.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/now-lowered-for-final-time-2006-gordon-waterman-16-side-console-20k.66588/

Duncan Idaho
So...if you were in Birmingham al and was going to take a few days on the coast.

Where would you go to fly fish? Just stay around gulf shores ? Head over to LA? Head over to fla?
Salt of the water
AG
If the budget is there... Overnighter to chandeleur islands.
Duncan Idaho
Is there an out fitter you recommend?
Salt of the water
AG
Some recs here:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2946085

I've never been.
Duncan Idaho
Salt of the water
AG
RickSawyer said:

Hey guys, pretty sweet deal on a Gordon Waterman very similar to mine in Pasadena, TX... 20k is a really nice price.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/now-lowered-for-final-time-2006-gordon-waterman-16-side-console-20k.66588/

I wonder if used whips will finally start selling for less than 20k now that HB is making the Eldora and there's a few people selling morejohns conchfish hulls.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

RickSawyer said:

I wonder if used whips will finally start selling for less than 20k now that HB is making the Eldora and there's a few people selling morejohns conchfish hulls.

I hope not, selfishly haha! When I got my 2007 a few years back (with a BRAND new Zuki 60 mind you) I felt like I got a steal on the boat at 25k...
Centerpole90
AG
Not to discount SoW's rec, but as an additional - I've done Louisiana Fly Charters with Greg Moon before. It was an early summer trip, fishing sucked, but it wasn't his fault - he worked for it. We put in @ Hopedale, La but the best part is captains will pick you up at your hotel in New Orleans - you don't have to stay down on the water. They'll pull their skiff right up to your hotel on Canal street and drive your right through St. Bernard Parish and through the gate in the seawall where they seal everyone off post-Katrina.

It's not Birmingham - but its an idea for a bay trip. Now, if you want to go the other way toward Apalachicola and tarpon fish we'd need need BKClark or Finn in here with the deets.

Which brings in another idea - Salt, where are the tarpon now? is the panhandle season still going on or are they in LA?
Duncan Idaho
I am guessing the tarpon would head towards Florida as we get closer to the end of August?

Salt of the water
AG
I have no clue where the tarpon are.

Now that I have a trolling motor to be able to chase them it seems nearly impossible to line up a free day and flat Gulf for me. I beginning to suspect that the tarpon are conspiring against me.
Salt of the water
AG
Skiff / fishing buddy poll time.

What makes you invite someone on your skiff, or why are you getting invited on other people's skiffs? Any peeves that prevent you from inviting someone back?

Here's a list of things I could think of in no order of importance to me. Some of them don't matter to me at all and I'm not even sure I'd be able to rank the rest.
  • can pole the skiff
  • family
  • brings gas money
  • brings beer
  • strong snack / lunch game
  • good conversationalist / story teller
  • can cast
  • takes good pictures
  • they're good luck
  • knows where the fish are
  • they tie or share nice flies
  • helps clean the boat
  • good DJ or has great playlists
  • they're a better fisherman and you learn things from them
  • they're a rookie and you get to see the thrill of their first fish / eat / etc
  • they're a good coach
  • can launch or load the boat
  • can back up the trailer
  • has the same schedule

dr_boogs
AG
I meet 10 of your requirements (I'll keep which 10 to myself for now). So ..... when do we hit the water?
FBG_Ag78
AG
7 at best
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
solid 5. story of my life

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.