Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,692 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by dr_boogs
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Salt! #pangalyfe

You conveniently left out where I **** the bed on another shot.
Newoldarmy
AG
Fished a few days in Holbox last week. We left Austin as the cold front hit and it hit down there the next night.

The weather was bad until our last day and let up a little, but was still cool.

We were permit fishing primarily and ended up only getting a few decent shots. Ended up hooking four tarpon and losing all of them, no permit eats, lots of barracuda and snapper, and a couple of tripletail.

One of the lost tarpon was pretty cool. Most tarpon fishing there for juveniles is in the mangroves or just outside the bocas with either tannin colored water inside or grass bottom outside. The visibility is great, but not like Key
West beachfront where you see everything.

Anyway, we were working on permit when a school of 15 or 20 juvenile tarpon just waltzed across a huge white sand flat with small grass patches. Gorgeous. We had on a crab pattern with 15# flouro tippet so it cut almost immediately, but made the day for sure.

My stepson made great strides this trip and should've caught his first permit. The fish either felt us or something because it pushed off the ray it was working as we got near enough for a cast. And though he made a good cast, the fish was already nervous and didn't eat. I'm not sure what happened, but the kid put the fly on a permit under pressure, and that's a big step.

We fished the Marquesa all week and the differences between it and the Chittum are so great that there isn't a good way to compare them. Like a 25-06 v. 30-06. Both great at different things with some performance overlap, but both still kill deer dead as a hammer.
RickSawyer
AG
How'd you get the Marquesa down there Newold? She a tender for a big boat? A friend here in Houston just got a Chittum. Excited to fish it soon and see how she feels relative to my Waterman.
Newoldarmy
AG
I shipped it from Tampa to Progreso then trailered to Chiquila/Holbox.

It's not a tender. Darwin Vega is guiding out of it down there.
RickSawyer
AG
Newoldarmy said:

I shipped it from Tampa to Progreso then trailered to Chiquila/Holbox.

It's not a tender. Darwin Vega is guiding out of it down there.
Very cool. Oddly enough, my Waterman was at one point a tender and has the reinforced eyelits at the four corners of the cockpit for lifting her from alongside to the deck...

Now I just gotta figure out how to get my proper yacht to place her up on my deck.
Salt of the water
AG
How does permit fishing in holbox compare to Punta Allen?
Newoldarmy
AG
By all accounts, Pta Allen is a lot better.

I'm no expert as I'm still trying to land my first permit. I've fished at Pta Allen only a couple of times for a few days and caught lots of small bonefish and saw little else. Both times I had poor weather so I didn't see any permit. Most of the bones were caught out of mud.

The area you fish from Holbox is really closer to Isla Blanca than Holbox. If you go flats fishing from Cancun, you will fish the area we fish. Permit up there are smaller, bones are bigger, and the bottom is soft so no wading for permit like you do at Pta Allen. The flats up north are limited in size and not near as varied as down there. So, at Pta Allen if you've got exceptional tides, you still have places to fish. Up north you can be very limited by real low or high tides.

Having said all that, I'm a tarpon fanatic who has developed a permit problem so Holbox suits me. If you go to Holbox in summer and get decent weather and toss anything that sinks into those big tarpon, they eat and it's a blast.

Salt of the water
AG
Thanks for the feedback. They both sound great for different reasons.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Went on my first saltwater fly fishing trip this past week and had a blast. Didn't catch anything other than Jacks and Ladyfish, but was still amazed at how much fun it was. I only had one day since we were going down for a wedding.

My buddy who covers the Keys and specifically Key West for several magazines got me hooked up with a guide who found a last minute opening for me on Sunday, 03/18 (also my birthday).
We left out of Key West and fished the Marquesas all day. What a beautiful place on earth.

First stop was Sandy's for a breakfast sandwich, cuban coffee, and a cuban sandwich to go.

We got on the water pretty early and were able to see just a beautiful sunrise.

When we got to the Marquesas, there were a couple of other boats there. Lots of people fishing due to a front that rolled in earlier that week, but the water temperature was finally warming up enough to have a good day.

After realizing that I was VASTLY under prepared for saltwater fly casting. I realized that you've got to be much more accurate and cast further with heavier line/equipment. My guide worked his ass off but we never could get a great shot at a tarpon. I was only able to catch a few jacks and several lady fish. That was still incredible.

Highlight of the day was nearly hooking a Permit. It would have been pure luck. On the way back to Key West, the guide stopped at some relatively deep water to try and catch snappers I think. I throw out to one that we spot, but a permit appears near my fly and makes a hard turn towards it. I begin stripping it fast and the permit gets extremely close and takes a bite... and I missed setting the hook! Extremely frustrating, but a pretty awesome thrill.

Great day on the water and I can't wait to get back.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice work and amazing scenery down there isn't it? I've not made it out to the Marquesas but fished out of Key West a few times. We've always stopped just east of the Boca Grande Channel and fished around Boca Grande Key, Woman Key, and Ballast Key.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Nice work and amazing scenery down there isn't it? I've not made it out to the Marquesas but fished out of Key West a few times. We've always stopped just east of the Boca Grande Channel and fished around Boca Grande Key, Woman Key, and Ballast Key.
It was incredible. I probably shouldn't have done it since the last thing I need is another hobby to dump my money into.

I do wish that I had spent a little more time practicing casting prior to the trip. I never could get the timing down perfectly on the double haul, which greatly limited how far I could cast.
Salt of the water
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

It was incredible. I probably shouldn't have done it since the last thing I need is another hobby to dump my money into.

Great report!

Have you considered a skiff?
Ayto Siks
Awesome. I would like to see the Marquesas one day.
Newoldarmy
AG
Can't figure it out so try again tomorrow!
TxAG-010
AG
Who was the guide you fished with?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
TxAG-010 said:

Who was the guide you fished with?

Scott Irvine with Time Flys.

Good dude.
PetrolAg
AG
Just got back from Hopedale, La. We fished for two days with Capt. Bailey Short. Day 1 was a tough day. Winds were high and coming from the NW. Got lots of good shots at some big bulls but neither of us were getting the fly through the wind like we wanted to and missed most of our shots. There were also tower boats running all over so the fish were pretty spooky to begin with. Only one fish for the day but it was very promising.

Day 2 proved to be much better. We had full sun and low winds. Water came up overnight so we could get into some ponds. We had a tough time finding good clean water but saw plenty of fish and ended up landing two that morning. Tide peaked out at about 1:30 and we were having a hard time getting the fish to move on anything so we made a run out to the coast as the tide fell. We ended up about 20 miles offshore on a little island. Casted to a bunch of reds and sheepshead and ended up landing two more reds. We also saw what we thought was a juvenile tarpon. None of us really knew what it was and it was all Bailey could talk about the rest of the day.

Overall we had a great time and Bailey was a great guide. We will be going back for sure.

PetrolAg
AG
On another note, I am selling an Epic Bandit rod. For those unfamiliar it is a 10 wt fiberglass rod and it is really sweet. It has a fast action and does not cast like a typical glass rod but it fights fish like a fiberglass rod. By a strange twist of fate I ended up with two of the same rod and I'm looking to offload one. The rod has been cast but never fished with. If anyone is interested just let me know and we can work something out.
SabineAg
AG
Anyone ever fly with their fly gear? I'm flying down to Florida in a couple weeks and was wondering if I can carry on my fly box? It's a Cliffs Bugger Beast and it's full.
RickSawyer
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Anyone ever fly with their fly gear? I'm flying down to Florida in a couple weeks and was wondering if I can carry on my fly box? It's a Cliffs Bugger Beast and it's full.
I have carried on my flies before. Checked them with my luggage the last few times after I heard some stories of guys getting hassled.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

With flies it's hit or miss depending on the TSA agents. I usually check my fly boxes but always carry on rods & reels. I once got hassled by some dip**** TSA agent over my pliers, which are specifically allowed. I had to get his supervisor over.
elnaco
AG
Registration opened up for Holy Carp 2018 tournament on May 19th. It'll be hosted by BCA again and is a $25 entry that includes a shirt and beer at "weigh-in". I fished it last year and it's a whole lot of fun, hope to see some of y'all out there. Details in the link below

http://www.houstonflyfishing.com/holy-carp-2018/
reddog90
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

PalomaPachanga said:

With flies it's hit or miss depending on the TSA agents. I usually check my fly boxes but always carry on rods & reels. I once got hassled by some dip**** TSA agent over my pliers, which are specifically allowed. I had to get his supervisor over.
I generally carry on rods and reels and check the other equipment.

PP- the other guys driving from here and you're flying down to meet them? Are yall hitting the glades chickees?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Travel with fly rods to Belize a bunch. I use the Orvis stuff shown here, this is from their website so the the verbiage is theirs. It works well, fits in over head, at least 4 four pieces rods and reels. Carry flies in checkin suit case, Fish Pond makes and exact knock off of this product. Safe Passage Carry It All
This innovative fishing bag is designed for the traveling angler.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SabineAg
AG
I'm actually flying to Houston now for meetings then going to ride to Florida with the guys.

We're picking up from Ankona on Saturday morning, driving to Islamorada that evening to stay at La Siesta resort. Fish out of there through Tuesday. Depending on a few different factors we're then either going to flamingo for a couple days at the hell's bay chickee and a couple at the east cape beach. Or drive around ENP to Chokoloskee and head into the park from there
Finn Maccumhail
AG
elnaco said:

Registration opened up for Holy Carp 2018 tournament on May 19th. It'll be hosted by BCA again and is a $25 entry that includes a shirt and beer at "weigh-in". I fished it last year and it's a whole lot of fun, hope to see some of y'all out there. Details in the link below

I'd like to fish that but I've never really carp fished, and in a "not so humble-brag" will be in Turks & Caicos for Mrs. Finn's 40th birthday. Ideally I'll be able to get in some bonefishing as the bones there are supposed to be big, plentiful, and dumb. But it will have to be DIY because the guides there are like $1100 per day and I've got a real problem spending more for that than a day in the Keys.
rather be fishing
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

elnaco said:

I'd like to fish that but I've never really carp fished, and in a "not so humble-brag" will be in Turks & Caicos for Mrs. Finn's 40th birthday. Ideally I'll be able to get in some bonefishing as the bones there are supposed to be big, plentiful, and dumb. But it will have to be DIY because the guides there are like $1100 per day and I've got a real problem spending more for that than a day in the Keys.

T&C bones are definitely big and plentiful.
reddog90
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

I'm actually flying to Houston now for meetings then going to ride to Florida with the guys.

We're picking up from Ankona on Saturday morning, driving to Islamorada that evening to stay at La Siesta resort. Fish out of there through Tuesday. Depending on a few different factors we're then either going to flamingo for a couple days at the hell's bay chickee and a couple at the east cape beach. Or drive around ENP to Chokoloskee and head into the park from there
Damnit that sounds awesome
SabineAg
AG
Thanks, you should of convinced the rib to allow you to come
LRHF
AG
I owe a trip report but been busy. Great evening for the Houston crowd at Gordy and Sons who hosted BTT with Andy Mill giving a seminar on tarpon fishing. If you get a chance to hear him talk, do it! Picked up his book "A Passion for Tarpon" tonight, forwards by Lefty Kreh and George H.W. Bush, the pictures alone are worth the price of the book!

He does a great demonstration of how deep into the butt of the rod you have to get to reach 16 lbs. He has applied a lot of visualization and ski racing tactics to his fishing and the results are clearly tangible. He focused a lot on form when fighting the big tarpon and learned a lot from this short discussion. Don't miss the next time he speaks near you.
Salt of the water
AG
How many tarpon do you have to catch before your brain functions well enough to consider form and tactics while you have on one the line? I've already resigned to the fact that my first few dances with the king will be a comedy of errors.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

How many tarpon do you have to catch before your brain functions well enough to consider form and tactics while you have on one the line? I've already resigned to the fact that my first few dances with the king will be a comedy of errors.

I don't know but I'm not remotely there yet. Ask BKClark and Centerpole90 or TeddyEyeballz, maybe they'll know.
Ayto Siks
That book doesn't stay on my shelf very long. It has a lot of bookmarks and I'll pick it up and thumb through it every once in a while. Like you said, the pics are fantastic. Would really to hear Andy speak in person.
reddog90
AG
Weekend report?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

Weekend report?

Blowing 25-30 here. No go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.