Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,450 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How shallow do you think she floats with that outboard?
Salt of the water
AG
I'm thinking just under a foot but I didn't get out in the mud to check. I want to find some sandy bottom to get a better idea.
Centerpole90
AG
Blue starz!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Is your IG profile private? When I select your pic the menu that pops up is truncated.

Just switched it to public and now the pics work on here. Thanks for the tip.

edit: thought better of it being public. I'll take the time to put pics on a different hosting service when I want them to be posted.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

I'm thinking just under a foot but I didn't get out in the mud to check. I want to find some sandy bottom to get a better idea.

Where did you launch at Keith Lake? I haven't been over there since they opened up the new ramp and have only launched at the old one right on 87.

And congrats on getting that bad boy splashed & slimed.
Salt of the water
AG
The new Jefferson County ramp off 87 at the Keith lake fish pass. Nice concrete ramps (3) with a nice large gravel parking lot. Docks at the ramp were not built high enough and submerged about halfway down the ramp but I've launched from much worse.

We drove down to the chicken crossing "ramp" but that looked a little sketchy. Doable for yaks and micros but definitely lock up your vehicle well. I'm interested in that Texas bayou string of marsh because it looks similar to where they get the bull reds in the Louisiana marsh (also, close to the jetties). Going to have to go back with the noe.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

I'm interested in that Texas bayou string of marsh because it looks similar to where they get the bull reds in the Louisiana marsh (also, close to the jetties). Going to have to go back with the noe.

I have the micro and freetime! Lets go!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

The new Jefferson County ramp off 87 at the Keith lake fish pass. Nice concrete ramps (3) with a nice large gravel parking lot. Docks at the ramp were not built high enough and submerged about halfway down the ramp but I've launched from much worse.

We drove down to the chicken crossing "ramp" but that looked a little sketchy. Doable for yaks and micros but definitely lock up your vehicle well. I'm interested in that Texas bayou string of marsh because it looks similar to where they get the bull reds in the Louisiana marsh (also, close to the jetties). Going to have to go back with the noe.

I'm talking about the ramp here: https://goo.gl/maps/DURsHfLFhaE2

The "chicken crossing" one is this spot I believe: https://goo.gl/maps/snsmuFArbD52

I haven't had the panga over there, just the Gheenoe a couple times and there are lots of reds in there. I fished that Texas Bayou/Mud Lake area once and did OK but if you're talking about the extreme SE edge around Texas Point I never made it that far. Mainly because I couldn't really see how to get back there without running down the pass itself which I didn't want to do in the Gheenoe.

Never saw any of the big bulls like over in Louisiana though. Doesn't mean they're not there though. I think the main difference between there and the marsh in LA where I've caught those big bulls is that the marsh over there is much more directly accessible to the Gulf vs. here.

I haven't made it over to Hopedale or Venice but fish around Port Fourchon (stay in Grand Isle). Pull up that area in Google Maps- we fish the marsh basically west of Bayou Lafourche. There's really nothing but open bay for those bulls until they hit the marsh and the bottom drops off pretty quick once you get out of the marsh.

That Texas Point area is more likely to meet that quality I would think. You could probably drop the Gheenoe or even Rick's Micro right off Jetty Road without a ramp and away you go.
Salt of the water
AG
Thanks for the pointers. I traced out a trail towards Texas point in GE one day. It looked like a long run but navigable. A road launch may work also.

Here's what I have for the chicken crossing:
https://goo.gl/maps/XAtBsAvaoRK2

And here's the new Keith Lake ramp:
2946'19.3"N 9356'59.7"W
https://goo.gl/maps/k4vyky99nJ52
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

Thanks for the pointers. I traced out a trail towards Texas point in GE one day. It looked like a long run but navigable. A road launch may work also.

Here's what I have for the chicken crossing:
https://goo.gl/maps/XAtBsAvaoRK2

And here's the new Keith Lake ramp:
2946'19.3"N 9356'59.7"W
https://goo.gl/maps/k4vyky99nJ52

Gotcha- "chicken crossing" doesn't put you into Keith Lake but into Texas Bayou and you can get back to Mud Lake and some really good marsh. I fished there in the Gheenoe before. The launch looks kinda sketchy but I didn't have any issue either with launching (and I've seen guys put it significantly bigger boats than the Gheenoe) or with the clientele. The only people I saw around were the O&G workers and fishermen.
Centerpole90
AG
ShallowRS is umployment done RIGHT. Damn, going to have to go back to work in the Trump era.

Re: IG fishing pics.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Centerpole90 said:

ShallowRS is umployment done RIGHT. Damn, going to have to go back to work in the Trump era.

Re: IG fishing pics.

Truth.

I wanna be like ShallowRS when I grow up.
RickSawyer
AG
But guys, I am so exhausted from poling my micro all the friggin time!!!
AggieGunslinger
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

But guys, I am so exhausted from poling my micro all the friggin time!!!

Centerpole90
AG
I replaced all the bearings and seals on my boat trailer axle yesterday. Installed new beating buddies too. I think I'll just go ahead and put on new taillights this weekend because a few led diodes are bad.

And because.

Louisiana. Maybe.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Beating buddies?
Centerpole90
AG
stupid iPhone. Bearing buddies.

I don't believe in beating your buddy. Buddies have to beat themselves.
Salt of the water
AG
You do have to beat those little buddies on to the hubs, they're press fit.

Trailer work ain't glamorous, but if you want to go far or fast, you gotta do it.

When I reworked my two trailers this year with new hubs and tires, I put new bearings in the old hubs to keep them for spares. The panga trailer still needs a little bunk tweaking but it's close.

I was at McClain buying and hardware and got a quote on a new single axle aluminum, 20 ft, no brakes... $3500. Makes sweat equity in a used trailer a little more palatable.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I replaced all the bearings and seals on my boat trailer axle yesterday. Installed new beating buddies too. I think I'll just go ahead and put on new taillights this weekend because a few led diodes are bad.

And because.

Louisiana. Maybe.

I'm working on finding time. I've got plenty of lodging options depending on the number of guys.
Ragoo
AG
OMG

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2012-maverick-mirage-hpx-micro-for-sale.42126/
Salt of the water
AG
What's the difference between the micro and regular hpx?
Ragoo
AG
i micro is smaller and lighter. i think the beam is narrower.

have my eye on this bonefisher too.

http://mbgforum.com/topic/3404-1999-hewes-16-bonefisher-immaculate/
Centerpole90
AG
The micro is the forerunner of the HPXs I think.
Centerpole90
AG
You have good taste. I approve both finds.

That bonefisher tho; so much style in the little Hewes.

Tomorrow is Tuesday Hewesday. You can be Lappy Lover - it's only money.
Salt of the water
AG
Seemed appropriate:

Foiled by IG. Try #3.
Ragoo
AG
Centerpole90 said:

You have good taste. I approve both finds.

That bonefisher tho; so much style in the little Hewes.

Tomorrow is Tuesday Hewesday. You can be Lappy Lover - it's only money.
under 20k is reasonable. I need to see what the cost of these twins is going to settle out to first.
RickSawyer
AG
I think the only reasonable answer is, get both.
Salt of the water
AG
If you're budget is 20k... This beav is still very new. The other two you're looking at have wheels but don't be afraid of the tiller, it makes cruising through the marsh fun.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5885303287.html
Centerpole90
AG
I can get behind this. One for each kid.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

If you're budget is 20k... This beav is still very new. The other two you're looking at have wheels but don't be afraid of the tiller, it makes cruising through the marsh fun.

I love my micro!!!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I think my buddy's Hells Bay Guide is still for sale. New 70hp Yammy 4stk and extras too for $25K
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

I think my buddy's Hells Bay Guide is still for sale. New 70hp Yammy 4stk and extras too for $25K

This is a smoking good deal.
Ragoo
AG
Salt of the water said:

i have a hard on for the hewes/mav HPX hull. I have seen very good deals, a lot cheaper like under 10k, on other skiffs over the years but I have never pulled the trigger mostly because I am saving money to buy my unicorn or maybe my intro unicorn. I really want an 18 HPX but might buy something like that bonefisher to get into the hull at a lower cost and then upgrade later.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

This is a smoking good deal.

Here's a link to it again: Hells Bay Guide

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.