Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,724 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by dr_boogs
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New bunks for noe this weekend.

Centerpole90
AG
Best my old fat fingers can do so far. #swcpong

Salt of the water
AG
That you on orvis podcast?
Kalebcs
Ha! Yup. I've asked a few questions over the past 6 months or so. Ol' Tom, he might be a yankee, but I like him.
Salt of the water
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
find me an 18HPXV for not 43K and not 1000 miles away

Pretty darn similar hull (18 ft - 80 inch beam) and probably cheaper than your budget due to age of the hull.

Centerpole90
AG
DO NOT CLICK PLAY @ WORK w/ speakers loud.

NSFW language.

https://instagr.am/p/BCgr31DhBl-
BKClark
AG
Ridiculous right there.

Smushed the reds not of Port A today. 8 reds & 1 drum
AggieGunslinger
AG
Was that in a tournament? If not there is no way I wouldn't be laughing hysterically if I was the camera man.
Centerpole90
AG
I don't know if it was. The caption said it was the 'permit of a lifetime'. Like BKC said - it's ridiculous behavior but it was comical to me because I've been guilty of ridiculous behavior myself - maybe just not when fishing. I'd think 2-3x before I beat an $800 rod on the water but I'd bet searching google or YouTube would produce videos of golfers acting the same way.

I lost a species X fish with my son last year when I had the leader in my hand. I can watch the video and see the very instant I wanted to drop a huge F bomb but I recovered just as quickly to set the example. Had leader - caught fish. All we were robbed of was a picture.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Speaking of saltwater fly fishing, I'm just gonna leave these here...

http://www.carbontv.com/shows/c1-films/

http://www.carbontv.com/shows/fly-fishing-film-tour/

http://www.carbontv.com/shows/in-search-of-grande/

You're welcome for the hours you're about to waste.
Ragoo
AG
the marquesa is a beautiful boat. i will never buy an evinrude outboard though.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

Why not?

I've got an Etec 90 on mine and I know a ton of guys who run Etecs and every single one of them loves it.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:

Why not?

I've got an Etec 90 on mine and I know a ton of guys who run Etecs and every single one of them loves it.
I am sure they are great motors and I know this is unfair bias but we had one while I was growing up and it left us stranded on more than one occasion.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why not?

I am sure they are great motors and I know this is unfair bias but we had one while I was growing up and it left us stranded on more than one occasion.
I run an etec 30 and love it.
Salt of the water
AG
Buy the skiff resell the etec?

Ag_of_08
AG
watched a moment like that almost happen offshore once.

30 miles off sabine on a really bizzare day, drifting for kings at a rig, Cpt. of the boat hooks up with a drag screaming, smoke coming out monster. we get unhooked from the rig, and im trying to get the port engine going, cause we don't know wth this is and it's spooling him. Bout the time I get her cranked, HUGE (Biggest I've ever even seen pictures of) bull Mahi comes out of the water in a perfect jump, lands, and you hear the line let go. He's standing there with the rod back over his shoulder just quivering in rage. I put us in neutral and just quietly wrapped a hand around the rod tip till he calmed down after a few seconds so the rod didn't go swimming. Turned out the connection on the wire leader was bad. I got us back up and the other friend hooked the rig again. Nobody did a lot of talking for a bit after that aside from the occasional "mother ****ER" from him LOL. I've gotten ALMOST mad enough to throw a rod before, but they weren't that expensive!
RickSawyer
AG
On my way to San Clemente for a week of surfing. Grabbed an 8wt... Planning on fishing the LA river with Kameron Brown for carp and we're gonna try to get to kelp beds for bass one day. Super excited, first time fly fishing the west coast!
Sublette County
AG
I'll be on Oahu in a couple of weeks and plan on spending a morning or two trying to do some DIY bone fishing with my 8wt. Anyone done this before and have any suggestions?

Preliminary research indicates the area between Diamond Head and Koko Head holds some wadeable flats with public access. I know my chances are slim at catching any monster Hawaiian bones considering my only prior experience is with little Belizean bonefish.
Centerpole90
AG
I've asked about this myself before. Never been to Hawaii and actually never really cared to go until I saw some pictures of Hawaiian bones. Those are some beasts - I'd imagine they would be a ball on 8!
Sublette County
AG
I'm thinking the 8wt might be underpowered considering the size of the bones and the nasty coral around some of the flats. Lacking a 9wt, and not wanting to throw my broomstick 10wt, I'm willing to let things get a little sporty if by some miracle I hook into one.
Ayto Siks
I think Oahu also has peacock bass.

Sounds like you and Rick have some nice trips lined up soon. I'll be waiting for pics.
Centerpole90
AG
I think an 8 is perfect! I can't wait to see the pictures. I'd read a bunch about Kona bc I have a friend who has a house there; but it looks like you'll have great opportunities too.

Eta - there's always tenkara.
Centerpole90
AG
Well, you doubters will be happy to know that my boat is not the very last thing on my mind - I actually messed with it some today.

The console on a poling skiff is just a little bigger than a kitchen matchbox and the previous owner of my boat had installed a small tackle station in the side of the console. That was cool to throw things in, but it meant any work in my console had to be done with tweezers, like building a ship in a bottle. So today the tackle station went adios and I cut the hole big enough to accommodate a locking boat hatch that closely matched it size. Now I have two access hatches to the console and I can actually use a full size battery.

Then things got a little more interesting. My steering was a little tight when full left (rod all the way in, Teleflex). Okay, I'll just lube that bad boy up. So I removed the steering cable from the engine tilt tube; but it was tough and I literally had to drive it out (wood dowel). It was scratched, but not bad, so I took emery cloth and cleaned it up very nicely. Then I split my wood dowel on the end and put some emery cloth there and used a cordless drill as a hone. I polished the tilt tube up to a mirror finish. Awesome!

Then when I started to assemble it I could only get it to go in about 2" when it wanted to stick. WTF? everything was polished to mirror finish, the tube looked like a rifle bore it was so clean. I examined the end of the steering rod with a straight edge to make sure there wasn't some imperceptible bend.. nothing. So I started studying the tube closer. Don't ask me how it's possible, but I know it's bent. I google searched it and I'm not the only one, but I just don't see how it could bend. I put a dab of grease on one end the tube and looked down the tube, moving my head to the side, and I could get to the point where the grease was out of sight. It appears to be bent about 2" from the starboard side, right where it was getting tight. Crazy.

Do these have to be pressed in? This is what happens when you start jacking with something - it's like eating javelina - the more you chew the bigger it gets. ha ha ha.

Salt of the water
AG
My boats got 99 problems but teleflex ain't one. (thanks tiller outboard)

Sorry I don't have any advice... Other than hydraulic no feedback steering is the bomb. You did say you just freed up some room in your center console right?
BKClark
AG
good excuse to buy that HB
Salt of the water
AG
Not my boat, but a reasonably priced texas built skiff.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2932558&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=texassportfishing&&ywo=texassportfishing&
lazuras_dc
AG
Saw an 18' Ankona Skiff on 2cool

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=1850002
RickSawyer
AG
There is a 2001 17' HPX tunnel for sale in Houston as well for a decent number (asking 21k). If I was in market for a boat (I dont need another boat, I dont need another boat, I dont need another boat, I dont need another boat) I would be tempted to jump on this thing...

2001 Kevlar tunnel hull
2012 McClain aluminum trailer
2015 Yamaha F70 with extended warranty and few hours
2012 Minn Kota Riptide 70-24 volt trolling motor with new armature and brushes(2015)
2015 Garmin Echomap 54DV GPS/fishfinder
2015 Both batteries new.
21' Stiffy hybrid push pole
45qt Yeti cooler with mounts
bow casting platform

Malone said he brought 12 to hand in W. Bay yday and missed a few more... Sounds like it is starting to turn on out here... Unfortunately there are zero fish in the office. I never got the chance to fish on west coast but I had several pretty awesome days of surfing. Need to get some saltwater on my skin, I am starting to dry out.
Centerpole90
AG
Centerpole90
AG
Florida Skiff Challenge is on. IG #floridaskiffchallenge

https://instagr.am/p/BDV4ezBpenc

Description in the caption of that post.
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BDVwfh8HvrF

FLIR.

What every poling skiff needs.
Salt of the water
AG
That's a tad more ambitious than what we planned for the OB skiff showdown. It'll be neat to follow.
RickSawyer
AG
Speaking of... Guess who is hooked up and ready to roll?
Salt of the water
AG
Saw on Instagram yall found some rojos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.