Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,813 Views | 3068 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by dmperch
AgFlyGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a good looking reel and I almost pulled the trigger, but don't need another 8wt reel. I'm going to save up for the Signature in Arctic White to pair with a new Sector one day...then just mount it on the wall and look at it all day.
rather be fishing
AG
Everglades auction ending soon, current bid is $365

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372785259293?ul_noapp=true
rather be fishing
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Probably about 500, I may push up a bit for a Tibor Everglades but that would require me being patient and waiting.

I've never really checked out Danielsson before, went to their website and got confused at what the 2,090.00 kr price tag was sooo I found myself on another website

On the rod, I was casting it in the BCA parking lot yesterday before I pulled the trigger and it was slinging line. I had heard a number of good things so after a couple of casts, I handed it to Ben and asked him to ring me up for it.
Check out the ebay auction I just posted.
dr_boogs
AG
Man, that auction was closed by the time I saw your post. Bummer.
Salt of the water
AG
High tides and happy fish this weekend. Shrimp are still way up in the marsh. The first couple cold fronts this year should make for awesome fishing.

dr_boogs
AG
Good looking red! Sorry I couldn't make it for the camping trip this weekend. Just landed in Orlando with the family today.
LRHF
AG
Napa River, California-

Here is the rest of the story... A week ago, we left Houston for a wine tasting and cycling adventure from Calistoga to San Francisco (250 miles and 17,000' of hill climbing but not what you want to read about here). I had a lead for a great guide/ boat on the Sac. River Delta but I think this is the wrong time of year to try and book a great guide last minute. Found a booking agent that pulled together a boat super late (i.e. I emailed the guy on the way to the airport).

We had a great day tasting wine in Napa on Saturday then met out guide Patrick Sunday morning at Cuttings Wharf.

The Napa River runs through the heart of the valley and eventually drains into San Francisco Bay. The view from the dock:

Beautiful setting/ Morning sun

Looks like the LA marsh with gorgeous No. California hills in the background.

"Rule 1" compliant. It was chilly in the morning (40's), we hoped to get a boat but didn't pack like we would. My wife is wearing one of her cycling jerseys, we had long fingered biking gloves for the boat ride... Our poor guide was really scratching his head when he first saw us! By this point, he understood we were serious.

The morning was slow and we caught some 1-3 lb fish but I finally hooked a nice one in the afternoon. This was a 7-8 lb striper.

We were fishing a section of rip rap for our last 100 yds before ending the day and I told my wife, "It's your turn to catch a good fish" and not 2 seconds later, she hooked up!

Long story short- If you end up making a trip to Napa, California don't forget about the Striper run starting early October and runs through March. The Napa River can hold fish in the 10-15 lb range max but the Sac. River Delta is famous for 30-40 lb.fish but book way in advance. There are also options for Bass and Trout but I will be planning to come back again to fish for stripers again in the fall!
rather be fishing
AG
dr_boogs said:

Man, that auction was closed by the time I saw your post. Bummer.
Everglades ending today, currently at $280. A little wear on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183983936221?ul_noapp=true
reddog90
AG
Any of yall ever fished Turks & Caicos?

Wife and I are about to book a trip to South Caicos in late November. Looks like a great place to DIY for bones, poon, BFT. #8 is my biggest stick though.
rather be fishing
AG
Wife and I did our honeymoon in T&C in 2010. Did a half day with Silver Deep and would highly recommend them. Granted, that's been almost a decade ago.

I can't even begin to describe how beautiful T&C is, but here's some photo evidence:

[img][url=https://ibb.co/RzD3Q2x][/url][/img]
reddog90
AG
Did yall stay on Provo?
rather be fishing
AG
reddog90 said:

Did yall stay on Provo?
Yes. We were there during November, which is the off season. It felt like we had the island to ourselves because most of the larger resort places were closed down. I feel like that island is a bigger tourist place now, so I don't know how it is. This is the place we stayed at: https://www.alexandraresort.com/

We flew in the day after a category 1 hurricane blew across the island. Water was definitely cloudy and it was very windy, so sight fishing was not really possible. We fished light weight spinning tackle. Still the prettiest water/beach I've ever seen and that includes several places in Caribbean.
reddog90
AG
Fished Galveston Sunday. We found a lot of fish in skinny clear water, but they were spooky AF. I guess because of the weekend crowd and low still water. My first thought was drop to a smaller crack fly in natural colors and give shots more lead. Still didn't help. Later in the day we ended up picking up a few on a larger lead eye kwan pattern with some purple in it. Go figure. Also rescued an injured sea turtle in the ICW. Beautiful day to be on the water.

Salt of the water
AG
Anyone looking to get into the skiff game? This is a classic hull that's still in production by Bluewater today and sells new for 35k. Not the skinniest of boats but should ride smooth and be very quick with the 90 yammy. It'd be a good boat for the middle / upper coast. Draft is probably about 10", not stupid skinny but it'll still get you to the redfish.

The price is very good if the hull is still solid. The 90 Yamaha and aluminum trailer are worth about 5k by themselves.

https://victoriatx.craigslist.org/boa/d/victoria-great-boat-ready-to-hit-the/7013683959.html
Ayto Siks
Outstanding pics.

Edit: this whole page is full of great pics
SabineAg
AG
Had a great weekend on the water. On Saturday I set my buddy up on a couple stout fish while I caught 1 18 and blew about 20 other shots.

Then on Sunday I went out by myself and caught my first redfish on the fly solo. My excitement level was through the roof after getting it in the skiff. She was a a fat 25 incher. Lots of action out there. (Also iPhone fish pics by yourself are tough)

Salt of the water
AG
Skiffin' solo ain't easy. Nice work!
AgFlyGuy
AG
Nice work, hoping conditions are similar this weekend. I just got a new skiff and taking it out for the first time, somewhere around north shore of West Bay.
reddog90
AG
Were yall up here or middle coast? How'd the other group do?
Salt of the water
AG
Well don't be a tease! Tell us about the skiff.
SabineAg
AG
Middle coast and let's just say the other group in their Cato 180 can't quite get to the real good skinny stuff like the Sabine Versatile can
AgFlyGuy
AG
Salt of the water said:

Ha, sorry. its a 2019 East Cape Fury side console. 90hp Suzki. Build thread below with some pics. Need to do some joy riding to break the motor in so I'll likely be out Sat & Sun this weekend, then we're headed to Grand Isle in a few weeks.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/2019-east-cape-fury.68292/
Ayto Siks
Dusted off the old GoPro4 yesterday. Not bad considering low light, long distance, and fast moving subjects:

Salt of the water
AG
Aggielax1 - beautiful skiff! Congrats.

Ayto - killer shots. I think the one with the line hanging is my favorite.
reddog90
AG
Aggielax1 said:

Salt of the water said:

Ha, sorry. its a 2019 East Cape Fury side console. 90hp Suzki. Build thread below with some pics. Need to do some joy riding to break the motor in so I'll likely be out Sat & Sun this weekend, then we're headed to Grand Isle in a few weeks.

Dude that's a beautiful skiff. Congrats.
AgFlyGuy
AG
reddog90 said:

Aggielax1 said:

Salt of the water said:

Dude that's a beautiful skiff. Congrats.
Thanks man, I took it out for a spin this weekend and love it. Ran 39.5 mph with 4 of us (wife and 2 small kids) on Saturday, then Sunday a friend and I took it out to put some hours on it. We ran it through Pierce and Greens on the north side and was really impressed with the hole shot/torque.

We've got a group trip Nov 21-24 to Grand Isle to chase some big reds on the fly, so it'll be interesting running some new area and putting it to the test.
Salt of the water
AG
Are you doing that grand isle trip with some other Texans that went last year? My buddy was trying to get me to go on a trip those days but I can't make it.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Correct, first time fishing with most of them
TarponChaser
https://instagr.am/p/B4urDnbh6og
SabineAg
AG
Hammered em today.

Unfortunately found this guy still kicking in the water. Put him out of his misery. Another sad victim of tower boats...
Salt of the water
AG
Looks like a great day. We found fish yesterday but they weren't cooperative. Laid up skinny and not wanting to eat.

Maybe that redfish will get reincarnated as a stump and exact his revenge.

https://instagr.am/p/B5Ec7P0HXzW
Ayto Siks
Tldr: didn't catch anything, but still had fun.

Rented kayaks and brought my fly rod along for about an 8 mile slide through mangrove tunnels, backcountry creeks, and bays of the 10,000 Islands. Took my buddies with me because one of them has been clamoring for a baby tarpon, and the other had never been fishing before.

It was nice to scout new grounds and watch some rookies pay their dues to the tarpon game.

We had some chances, but we couldn't be stealth enough to close the deal. The juvis in the creeks were safe due to low ceilings and advanced warning as we bounced through.

Saw lots if muds and boils in the shallows (maybe reds?)... usually right after a paddle hit a kayak. Unfortunately the fishing angle in a kayak is so low, that we couldn't spot fish until it was too late.

The ultimate destination was a lake deep in the backcountry. Before we got there, my friend dropped a spin reel overboard and attempted to retrieve it from deep water. Bad idea in my opinion...

...But I'll wade if it's clear and shallow enough. We anchored our kayaks and walked about 50 yards and stared into a deep spot, wondering if we should cross it or head back. Then a sawfish swam right to us and convinced everyone to get back in the kayaks. I've seen a sawfish before, but it was still breathtaking - especially at 3 feet away.

On the paddle back home, my friend that had never been fishing before shouted "I got one!" I turned around just in time to see a biiiiiig tarpon headshake and get loose. Would have been one heck of a first fish.

The first few miles I was convinced I needed a kayak, but after tending loose line and getting swept into bushes all day, I think it can wait.
SabineAg
AG
Did you report the sawfish sighting? Apparently they aren't seen too often now a days and some agency is trying to keep track.
Ayto Siks
Sure did. There was a sawfish bulletin posted by FWC right where we launched.
SabineAg
AG
Awesome. First and only time I've seen one was just outside the glades. Didn't realize I should report the sighting until way after and someone back home told me. Made the sighting that much cooler after the fact.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.