Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,412 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice pile of copper there.
NW80
Centerpole90
RickSawyer
AG
Looks like Centerpole's son bent a rod recently!
BKClark
AG
I can confirm that the young man was pulling on jacks
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
I can confirm that the young man was pulling on jacks

Live how they fight!
BKClark
AG
Nah, just jacks!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice.

I took today off to go fish only to be sidelined by 2 little boys with ear infections.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Nice.

I took today off to go fish only to be sidelined by 2 little boys with ear infections.
Buddy, I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old with double ear infections at home, add pink eye to the 5 year old to top it off. Its brutal. A buddy hit me up early and suggested I jump out at lunch to go fish the afternoon. I know better than that now days...
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Nah, just jacks!
NICE! I love jack on the fly!

NW80
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
Nice.

Buddy, I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old with double ear infections at home, add pink eye to the 5 year old to top it off. Its brutal. A buddy hit me up early and suggested I jump out at lunch to go fish the afternoon. I know better than that now days...

Thumbs up for commiseration not for sick kiddos. At least this time next week I'll be hunting poon in FL.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jacks are a blast. Caught this one on vintage Fenwick glass and Fin Nor reel.

230Ag
AG
I think it would be awesome to hook into a 100lb GT on a fly rod. bet the fight would be epic!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I think it would be awesome to hook into a 100lb GT on a fly rod. bet the fight would be epic!

I have a fishing buddy who went to Christmas Island earlier this year (42nd b-day present). He didn't catch any GT that big but caught a couple in the 20# range, countless bonefish up to about 8#, at least 1 tuna of some kind too.

The way he described it, I don't know if you could land a 100# GT on the fly while wading. They're just too big, fast , and strong. They either bust your rod if you're using 100# leaders or you wouldn't be able to stop their run before they broke you off on the reef using lighter leaders.

You might have to do it from a boat where you can chase them down.

I do find it crazy that people here call jacks trash fish but they'll fly to the other end of the earth to catch especially large jacks.

If jacks were a little more discriminating in chasing down a fly or jumped like tarpon they'd be a top-tier saltwater target here.
Centerpole90
AG
Any of you guys dabble w/ Seadek?

I called Castaway Customs last summer and they emailed me a template to do under-gunnel pads for the Mav. I measured it all out, emailed it back, and then in the hustle of summer neither of us followed up. (They're uber busy, so I blame myself) Anyway, I still want to do that project but it's kind of involved and so I want to put it off until this winter.

However, the top my console has had a different of electronics through the years so I want to cover it with a small piece and then have my GPS mount over it. No fuss, no muss, and a I can pin flies on it.

I guess the bevelled edges the Seadek has to be cut by someone equipped to do so. I can find big pieces of it, but I don't know what cutting it is like and I don't want it to look like hack job. Anyone experience guys?

What I'm covering....
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I have a fishing buddy who went to Christmas Island earlier this year (42nd b-day present). He didn't catch any GT that big but caught a couple in the 20# range, countless bonefish up to about 8#, at least 1 tuna of some kind too.

The way he described it, I don't know if you could land a 100# GT on the fly while wading. They're just too big, fast , and strong. They either bust your rod if you're using 100# leaders or you wouldn't be able to stop their run before they broke you off on the reef using lighter leaders.

You might have to do it from a boat where you can chase them down.

I do find it crazy that people here call jacks trash fish but they'll fly to the other end of the earth to catch especially large jacks.

If jacks were a little more discriminating in chasing down a fly or jumped like tarpon they'd be a top-tier saltwater target here.

Yah- definitely have to be in a boat- i bet one of things would drag a maverick all over the place.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I've never done SeaDek but I'm seriously considering doing the cockpit floor and bow deck. I'm not sure if I'll do it myself or pay somebody. I don't want to eff it up doing it myself.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:

I will gladly trade someone a lifetime of speckled trout on conventional gear for a lifetime of Jacks on the fly.
Centerpole90
AG
Sneaky tarpon. Too bad they couldn't hold it and drive it away from the shark.

https://instagr.am/p/BHXtUR9ATEo
Ayto Siks
I just fished with a guide that had gray SeaDek on most surfaces. It looked sharp, but it got pretty hot after a while.
RickSawyer
AG
Ran my kiddos by my parents house yesterday (they live on Galveston Bay) and saw about a dozen sheepys tailing in shallow feeding. My mom then informed me that they'd been in close every morning all week! Ugh! Of course I was unprepared but made plans to catch them all this morning only to be met with choppy and sandy conditions with no fish.

Kicked around the idea of dumping the BT in my local marsh and poling around a bit for the resident black drum but saw the lights of Paw Patrol through my bedroom window and decided to go grab the kids and let my wife get some rest and save my hall pass for another time.

Hopefully someone else here has better luck than me...

At least I caught a nice sunrise.

[img] [/img]
Centerpole90
AG
I feel your pain. It's windy and ugly here too.
RickSawyer
AG
Played hooky poling my bud around. Worth it.

And... Had some help cleaning up as well.

Salt of the water
AG
Looks like a good day!
NW80
AG
Strong work !!!!
Ayto Siks
Really digging the shot of your boat in the marsh.
DV04
26 Power
AG
Centerpole,

I bought some of the Seadek sheet material and installed it on top of the console of my Majek RFL. I love the stuff. Mounted my cup holder and GPS on top. Also did cutouts for the Gas Cap and GPS cable entry.

I'll attempt to attach some pics...

NW80
AG
Cool!
NW80
AG
Cool!
BKClark
AG
Cuda

Cool Film
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Cuda

Cool Film
Agreed. I cut my teeth flats fishing with ultra light action spinning gear throwing top waters to Cudas all over Mex, Belize, Guatemala, Bahamas, Turks, Caymen, Cuba etc... I havent caught one on a fly rod but I love that production!
Centerpole90
AG
D Fuq is THAT????

https://instagr.am/p/BHr1vB0hg02
26 Power
AG
Snooker!!!! Way to go!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.