Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,390 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belize TR (Post Jungle/ Onshore expeditions: Mayan Ruins, Caves etc.)

Belize trip report is long overdue (Ambergris Caye)

Day 1 was full gale force winds with mixed showers and a young guide in training. This was a couples trip and didn't go well... The young lad focused on sight fishing and didn't have the experience to take us to some spots for some blind fishing.

Day 2 I was lucky enough to fish with a different guide and had the deck to myself (refer back to day 1...) After the guide asked about my goals for the day and I indicated fly fish for bones (brought fly rod, flies, leaders etc.), we promptly headed out to fish for large permit with spinning gear for a few hours! The guide was full on legit egomaniac but he did put me on some world class permit that I was unable to catch. Fun was had (the screaming aside... the guide) especially after we jumped out of the boat to stalk the fish, me with a spinning rod and the guide with my fly rod (note: He hasn't seen me cast a single fly yet, but, these were damn big permit!) After we harassed the permit in our boat (and his uncle had clients fly fishing nearby) time to catch bonefish. I caught many small bonefish blind casting but it was a fun day on the water and learned a few things. Evidently the 2nd day guide had lunch for the day 1 guide but didn't deliver to him because of a big pissing contest between guides... this was a point of contention with spouse when dropped off just after noon without lunch (yea, day 1 guide didn't have it in the boat)

Day 3 (of fishing) took our golf cart to the North side of the Caye and threw a few different patterns to some juvenille tarpon moving around without success. Met some folks from Silver Creek Outfitters (Idaho) that I have fished with a few times doing the same thing. Afternoon was spent hanging around "Secret Beach" with a few hours stalking the flats without any fish.

Day 4- Early wake up and headed to the docks before sunrise! The first two didn't have any success BUT, the 3rd dock was lights out! After landing 30 fish (Bonefish and a permit), went back to get the better half and had her catch a dozen bones! Funny that the best fishing of the entire trip was from a dock .25 mi from our place.

Will be returning to Belize, thinking about a trip to El Pescador next time.

Took a while to post since also training/ riding for the MS-150 at the same time. Lake Powell in late June (chase some stripers, water ski, drink) but feeling the need to head back to Mexico to chase some juvi Tarpon soon!
Salt of the water
AG
Sounds like a good trip, even though the guides weren't great.

Tell us more about the early morning dock permit! We're yall staying North of the bridge? Water seemed to look better on the ocean side the further North you went when I was there.
Mark Fairchild
AG
El Pescador is the BOMB, been 3 times, ya gotta go! You will catch fish with their guides!! Also, the family atmosphere that includes family style eating and visiting with other folks is absolutely the best. As far as screaming goes, cannot help you there, been screamed at so many times my Emir (favorite guide) that I am past counting. If ya wanna be humbled, go down thinking you are a fly caster. Then watch these guides effortlessly throw the entire fly line with one back cast, unreal. Pesky is THE PLACE!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
reddog90
AG
Regarding Belize, wife and I have always wanted to go to either Turneffe Island Resort or Turneffe Flats Lodge. Any ags been there before? We'd like to maybe do something on land for a couple days before going to Turneffe Atoll for diving and fishing. Also open to Ambergris or the mainland if it's a better overall trip.
Ayto Siks
I spend a lot of time practicing double hauls and backcasts, but never attempted a roll cast. Never thought I'd need to use one. Then yesterday I saw several little rolling juvenile delinquents in the mangroves, but could only catch one. A legit roll cast would have been killer.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
LRHF said:

Day 1 was full gale force winds with mixed showers and a young guide in training. This was a couples trip and didn't go well... The young lad focused on sight fishing and didn't have the experience to take us to some spots for some blind fishing.

Day 2 I was lucky enough to fish with a different guide and had the deck to myself (refer back to day 1...) After the guide asked about my goals for the day and I indicated fly fish for bones (brought fly rod, flies, leaders etc.), we promptly headed out to fish for large permit with spinning gear for a few hours! The guide was full on legit egomaniac but he did put me on some world class permit that I was unable to catch. Fun was had (the screaming aside... the guide) especially after we jumped out of the boat to stalk the fish, me with a spinning rod and the guide with my fly rod (note: He hasn't seen me cast a single fly yet, but, these were damn big permit!) After we harassed the permit in our boat (and his uncle had clients fly fishing nearby) time to catch bonefish. I caught many small bonefish blind casting but it was a fun day on the water and learned a few things. Evidently the 2nd day guide had lunch for the day 1 guide but didn't deliver to him because of a big pissing contest between guides... this was a point of contention with spouse when dropped off just after noon without lunch (yea, day 1 guide didn't have it in the boat)

Day 3 (of fishing) took our golf cart to the North side of the Caye and threw a few different patterns to some juvenille tarpon moving around without success. Met some folks from Silver Creek Outfitters (Idaho) that I have fished with a few times doing the same thing. Afternoon was spent hanging around "Secret Beach" with a few hours stalking the flats without any fish.

Day 4- Early wake up and headed to the docks before sunrise! The first two didn't have any success BUT, the 3rd dock was lights out! After landing 30 fish (Bonefish and a permit), went back to get the better half and had her catch a dozen bones! Funny that the best fishing of the entire trip was from a dock .25 mi from our place.

Took a while to post since also training/ riding for the MS-150 at the same time. Lake Powell in late June (chase some stripers, water ski, drink) but feeling the need to head back to Mexico to chase some juvi Tarpon soon!

As long as y'all had a good time.

I've fished with guides who are a bit demanding but really, only after I'd fished with them enough to know what I can and can't do and have enough of a relationship to bust some balls.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but, I would not be OK with a guy like what you had the second day. Unless you told him you were OK using a spinning rod instead of fly fishing I would not have let him have me use the spinning rig.

Anyway, like I said, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I would not be at all happy with this experience and I'd be severely pissed off. And I'd let the lodge or whomever I booked through know it.
LRHF
AG
You read correctly! I thought day 2 was off to a great start until we arrived on the Permit grounds and the spinning rod came out. It was a real run and gun experience chasing these huge Permit around. Figured it would still be fun to land a large permit on conventional tackle then switch to fly rod. Will get back to Belize but next time with a fishing lodge. The 2nd day guide reminds me of a close friend and made the best of his personality dysfunction to manage the whole day. He clearly wanted an adrenaline rush before we blind casted to bones. Now- perhaps sight casting to bone fish would have been a fun way to start the day! We've had so many great guides on FW but learning the saltwater game has been a little more challenging.

Somebody else asked about the location. We were South of San Pedro. Seaweed was a challenge but didn't bother the fish.

Time to make some leaders for the next trip.
Newoldarmy
AG
Just fished three days at Key West. Oceanside was pretty good, but clouds and spooky 2s and 3s made it hard. The longer strings were good with middle and back fish likely to eat if I could get it to them...which was rare with the wind and their changing lines.

Backcountry was good as well with fish beginning to get into the basins. Water is finally staying over 80 even with yesterday's NW wind. I guess we had about 20 eats and got 4 to the boat. My dad threw crabs at them and while the oceanside fish ran from it, the back side fish ate.

We did break two off two because of bull sharks and a couple may have gotten a little more drag than was necessary....I'm just not as strong as I once was and any fish over 120 is subject to "distant release" at any moment after about 20 minutes into the fight.

Great trip.
AlexAggie
AG
LRHF said:

Were you fishing out of Mahogany Bay by chance? I will be back down in July and I am looking for a guide to take me wading. Sounds like this is a place to avoid!
LRHF
AG
No. We booked with a service that isn't affiliated with any lodges.
LRHF
AG
Port O Connor trip report

Tied some redfish leaders the other night and used them Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning in POC. We took my buddies 1998 17' Pathfinder skiff out and poled around the skinny water. Landed a small red Saturday evening, and had a bigger fish throw a hook after he ripped some line off. I knew the hook was dull but didn't want to stop and sharpen, another lesson learned again!

We were up early Sunday morning and I was on the pole when we moved in on some redfish tailing into a cut. My partner gave a few short casts then hooked up on the 3rd cast. We landed a couple more fish including a black drum.

We didn't catch anything big and the weather kept us from getting across the bay (our goal for our first POC trip). The fish were eager to chase our clouser minnows tied chartreuse/ white. The 40/30/20/16# leaders turned over the flies great. Aside from having road debris catch the boat fender and smash into the tire, we had a great trip!

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Aside from the trailer mishap it sounds like a great trip. Glad to hear the boat wasn't damaged.

And those old Pathfinders, the 15T and 17T are great hulls for the Texas coast. They'll run in spit and are stable. The hull is a bit slappy though.
RickSawyer
AG
Socks with sandals
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

Socks with sandals
It's called fashion, look it up
LRHF
AG
Great day to tie fly's since my fishing partner (aka boat owner) is working on his next "Hall pass". Don't worry OB, I am wearing my OluKai flip flops sans socks today! Have a few more leaders to twist up then time to eat some Green Egg chickens and drink more Uinta IPA.

RickSawyer
AG
Hey man, I gave ya a thumbs up for socks with sandals. I am 100% okay with dad style.
Salt of the water
AG
LRHF said:

Great day to tie fly's since my fishing partner (aka boat owner) is working on his next "Hall pass".

Don't be at the mercy of someone else's boat...
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/d/poling-skiff/6579547654.html
sunchaser
AG
I'm still learning. I've got to the point I can improvise to some degree. I have two friends from Port A that basically use small all black flies. They both like to keep drum. Last week they caught approximately 50 reds one morning and were having to cast over them to get to their keepers of choice.....or so they say. I have tied a lot of the small black flys. I tinkered with it a tad.

This is a shrimp imitation I got from a book. It was much more difficult to tie than I thought going in.

This was via a friends grizzly.

I have tweaked the Gartside Gurgler in a variety of ways. I used a rattler as eyes on this one. Not bad IMO.

Ayto Siks
Been logging crazy overtime lately, but instead of resting on the wkd, I've been fishing order to beat the Lake Okeechobee water releases. They're getting worse every year, and will eventually spoil the gulf coast from Naples to Boca Grande.

Anyway, triple trip report ahead...

1. First stop was super early in the Everglades to check on the rising water. The summer rains bring the juvi tarpon inland, so I walked around to conduct an informal survey. Past rainy seasons have brought new species like peacock bass, oscars and ladyfish into this spot, but I was only interested in silver nuggets.

Didn't see any rollers. Just a bunch of gar, oscars and snook. Gar:

And here's some twin snook that fell for very quickly stripped tarpon toad:

Only caught the pair of junior snook and a pair of bowfin, so decided to move on...

2. As I mentioned above, here is Sanibel as the brown water dumps into the gulf:

I picked up 2 friends and we stayed south to avoid the brown water and found the beach had pockets of exceptionally clear water, but was mostly churned and green. Thought I was getting good at catching snook, but they humbled me time and time again. Saw plenty of big snook hugging the sand, cruising the washline looking for bait, but only tricked a couple of dinks and a dozen mini jacks in the murky breaks. One buddy caught a mixed bag of trout, jacks and mackerel on a spin rod.

Here's a sample of the clear water vs murky water, and a bunch of line I cut from some bait chunkers that lost track of their lines. I'm not normally a jerk to the growing bait fish crowd, but these lines were tangled in the jetties and ignored all day.

Saw some insane tailing action right before it got dark. I thought this was a stray permit at first, but it ended up being a hefty spadefish with lockjaw:

Can't have lights on the beach this time of year because of sea turtle nesting, so we called it a day at sunset. We were treated to a parade of happy tarpon on the horizon as we walked away. Some dudes in a boat barely missed the string.

3. This is actually from last weekend, so not in chronological order... my wife was looking for a shaded hike with room for a stroller and found a convenient hiking trail. The path t-boned a creek every once in a while, and the water was shallow enough to wade. Went back solo with some deceivers and nabbed snook all day. Anywhere the water was deep, all it took was a short cast and fast strip. I love how backcountry snook look gold sometimes.

Now it's Sunday and time to log on and get the work week started. Not sure when I'll go fishing again, but these memories will get me through the week.
LRHF
AG
Great TR!
Centerpole90
AG
..aaand a blue parachute for you to go with my blue star.
NW80
AG
EPIC !!!
Thanks for sharing!!'n
Salt of the water
AG
Awesome!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Can't believe I missed Ayto's TR last month.

Anyway, in just 10 days I'll be in FL chasing giant tarpon on the fly for a few days. I can't wait.
RickSawyer
AG
I took two guys I trade oil with out Monday for an afternoon half-day. Water was clear but HOT. Redfish were not schooling. Saw a few upper slots in pairs. Tough sledding but saved the skunk with a nice black faced sheepie.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
With ICAST going on right now I thought I'd post up some reel pron from Tibor.

While I greatly prefer their classic, cork drag reels this Artic White is sexy:

https://instagr.am/p/BlGb2viHQcB
rather be fishing
AG
Anyone dealt with TFO rod breakage before? I Broke my Mangrove about Midway up the section beloenthr tip section over the weekend. Need to get it sent in.

By the way, Finn, got setup with Scott Nutt for the 28th. He originally told me I didn't need to send him a deposit, then I mentioned you and he basically was like, "Oh hell. You're going to have to pay in full in advance."
Finn Maccumhail
AG
LOL
Salt of the water
AG
3 warranties with TFO.

Slammed a truck door on my rod.
Flipped a gheenoe and snapped a rod.
Hit a sandbar and knocked Finn on his &@$, luckily I had stragecially placed a rod in the way to soften his fall.

All three were easy peasy. Send the rod and a check. Get new rod back in a week or so.

I packed mine up in the sock in a pvc tube for shipping the first time. They sent the pvc back and I've just been reusing it again and again.
RickSawyer
AG
Fished the Gordy & Sons Galveston Classic on Saturday with one of my best friends. Had a really fun time, saw a lot of beautiful skiffs and caught some great fish. We measured 53.25" on our two slot entry (25.25" and 28.00" respectively) and still didn't even get top three. Pretty amazing for our fishery to produce that many top quality fish in the middle of July!

Here is the only hero shot we took but gotta document a perfect 28" on tourny day!!!

Edit: We did win a side pot - rule was could only win one side pot per boat, in theory we could have won biggest fish (our 28 was a true 28 the other was 27 7/8) but I caught a seven spot fish early in the day so we did get to take home two Hatch Fin 7+'s for most spots side pot.

https://instagr.am/p/BlQQUZqHAdW
saltydog13
AG
Any thoughts/advice on gheenoes? Kicking the idea of selling the kayak and maybe getting a gheenoe. I know the limits and it would be used for shallows and not trying to cross any big waters. 2 adults max
Salt of the water
AG
Pros:
-stupid shallow
-cheap to buy and operate
-can fish "kayak only" areas that are too far for kayakers to paddle to
-2 people only
-more stable than a canoe because of the flare at the water line
-easy to pole

Cons:
-wet
-hull slap due to the flare at the water line
-2 people only
-draft suffers quick if you pack heavy
-not made for crossing big water (I've been on a Gheenoe that broached a wave and turtled)

I really enjoyed my 13 fter before I stripped it down for a rebuild. Hope to get it operational again soon.

Caught lots of fish out of a buddies 15-4 last year.

If you're serious about getting one, I'd highly recommend a new custom gheenoe LT-10 hull and a used 15 hp 2 stroke. The LT-10 has a wider transom than their 15-4 so it's more stable and not as weight sensitive to what motor you use and how heavy the guy poling is.
saltydog13
AG
Is the LT 10 much pricier than the 15-4? I was looking at the 15-4 due to the higher hp rating than the 13 and only $1300 bare bones
Finn Maccumhail
AG
The LT10 is like $2K vs $1200 for the 15'4" IIRC.
RickSawyer
AG
In case someone here is looking for a repower, I am selling my 2015 Suzuki 60 from the Waterman. Great motor but want to get a shorter motor and going to something lighter with less hp that I can run without the jack plate.

Microskiff post: https://www.microskiff.com/threads/fs-2015-suzuki-df60-7k-obo-houston-tx.53518/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.