Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,443 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No luck with the prison permit for me yet. I had a friend out on my boat who caught one on a small 4 or 6 deceiver type fly which is why I tied up some smaller stuff.

I hear the sheepies spawn February through March and feed more aggressively. Maybe we need to put together an OB saltwater flyfishers outing and get after them.
Centerpole90
AG
They're pimping the juvis too - but mainly right now 'migrating tarpon', and big ones. I don't know if they are really posting pics of theirs or just snagging pics to stir up a crowd. The pictures aren't all consistent like they were shot at the same time or same place or by the same person. Baby tarpon are cool and migrating tarpon are darn sure worth traveling for- but traveling somewhere for big RESIDENT tarpon; I'm out on that. I've seen those @ Casa Blanca Lodge south of there in Ascension Bay. Big resident fish have seen every lure, fly, or shiny thingy you can imagine. They are wary and wise and just laugh at you; it's fun for the first one or two to see them, but after that the frustration ins't worth the investment.
Centerpole90
AG
OB fly fishing regatta. Yes, just not Feb or Mar if I'm invited please. April or May is much better.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
OB fly fishing regatta. Yes, just not Feb or Mar if I'm invited please. April or May is much better.
I'm in.

Low Country Journal put up a new video today that has me itching to get out:

https://vimeo.com/143071018

Planning on fishing West next wedenesday. Tide movement looks good and winds dying down by then...
Centerpole90
AG

quote:
Low Country Journal put up a new video today
I dont' think it's all effect in that video; I believe it's 100% overcast when they filmed that. A lot of folks wouldn't even put in on those conditions.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:

quote:
Low Country Journal put up a new video today
I dont' think it's all effect in that video; I believe it's 100% overcast when they filmed that. A lot of folks wouldn't even put in on those conditions.
By most people, you definitely mean me today... Tide too high, too many clouds, wind picking up too much... Rolled my trip to next week and am sitting here in the office trading some gasoline instead.
Centerpole90
AG
You pull that skiff w your jeep?
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
You pull that skiff w your jeep?

Depends... typically I tow with my F250 but have towed the wet beaver with the jeeper too.

Salt of the water
AG
quote:

Low Country Journal put up a new video today that has me itching to get out:

@ 0:40 The line ripping through the water and then the boil. If that doesn't get you fired up to go, I don't know what will.

They were schooled up like that on Monday. Probably 10 or so fish in each pod. Some had gulls overhead and a few had shorebirds hopping down the bank as they worked the shoreline. Fall is wonderful.
Centerpole90
AG
This darn sure isn't a Low Country Journal video, but it's from last year and some reds that were schooling up in a back creek here at home. Truth be told, that muddy water was probably almost drinkable. I think this was one of the first outings in the Mav after I bought it & I'm on the poling platform (I see a pattern here).

There's a to learn when fishing off a skiff. We've both much better now, Quaid94 doesn't rock the boat anymore and I remember to grab the power pole dongle so I don't have to use the push pole to try and press the rocker switch! All those things a guide tries to teach you on a half-day trip are learned the hard way when you're DIY!

These were 30" reds.

Reds in School
RickSawyer
AG
Thanks for sharing! Super cool vid!
Centerpole90
AG
I asked about the jeep bc I catch myself looking. I hate looking. Looking leads trouble.

Anyway, I had a TJ once w/ a 6cyl auto and it had just enough power to get itself down the road, I'm not sure it had the oomph for pulling my skiff (it's heavier than your Beaver). I've kind thought that to pull the Mav reliably it would require CJ 7 or 8 wheelbase w/ LS or small block swap. I'm not always popular with my wife.

But,

Salt of the water
AG
1. Get the jeep to tow your skiff
2. Tear up jeep towing a skiff that's too heavy
3. Ls swap
4. ...
5. Profit

Or just get a jeep AND a small skiff that you can strap on the roof.

That picture is from Geofish. Pacific Northwest trout bums load up a couple skiffs on the roof of a beater truck and head down to Mexico. Great movie.
RickSawyer
AG
Not sure if folks still looking around but Baron is selling his Mitzi in Houston now that he has his Maverick... I have no skin in the game, just sharing for those of us obsessed.

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2010-mitzi-16.35397/
Centerpole90
AG
The crux of it is I'm jonseing for a project and I don't know why; it's not like I don't have enough to do. I hope the urge passes - maybe now that tarpon season is over and winter sets in I'll focus the attention on something I need more; like a detached garage for the boat and kids vehicle. If I decide to do that in an all metal environment I can do most of it myself and I won't be @ the computer late at night looking at old CJs, Land Cruisers, K-20s, Blazers, Carryalls, and 4x4 tow vehicles.

Besides, I'm not sure how well an LS fits into a TJ; that may be a better candidate for a Cummins 4BT turbo diesel hmmmmmmmm.
Centerpole90
AG
This just in - headed to the edge of the Biloxi Marsh in two weeks. Going on one of the Chandeleur mothership trips, but fishing the marsh rather than out islands.

Advice, fly suggestions, tying suggestions, previous trip reports - all appreciated. GO.
RickSawyer
AG
Guess who is getting the beaver wet today?
Salt of the water
AG
The weather looked great. I hope the fish cooperated.
Centerpole90
AG
BKClark
AG
on me?

report is 4 slot redfish and 1 trout. north of Port A
RickSawyer
AG
The weather was right, the tides were right, the water temps were right.... The fish weren't. They were nonexistent. I picked off one small spec and castes at one tailing fish. Didn't work but didn't catch either...
Salt of the water
AG
Bummer. West Bay? Still beats being in the office.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Bummer. West Bay? Still beats being in the office.

Yeah, north shoreline. Maybe should have worked back lakes and marshes...
RickSawyer
AG
Just got reports from of similar days today from Jarid Malone and Jeremy Chavez. Think it has to do with the full moon... Both guys had a great day yesterday and today the faucet was turned off... Don't feel quite as bad now...
BKClark
AG
What!!! No one fishing today?

I tried to get Centerpole to go but he wimped out
Centerpole90
AG
I went to Pelican's Pub in Port Mansfield for lunch; that's as close as I could get after the storm this morning. We had 4" of rain on top of the 10"+ last weekend. All up and down FM186 there was water over the highway; all I could think when driving through knee deep water - was how good that hamburger was going to taste. It was worth it. I ate my limit.

ETA - Maggie's Drawers were flying @ harbormaster's office - it would not be a good day to be out there.
threeanout
AG

Fishing in Guatemala aboard the Allure II out of Sailfish Oasis Lodge. Multiple shots at billfish.
Centerpole90
AG

https://vimeo.com/83280311

A little something I was watching to get psyched up for the Biloxi Marsh
RickSawyer
AG
quote:

https://vimeo.com/83280311

A little something I was watching to get psyched up for the Biloxi Marsh

Insane. Literally incredible.
K Bo
AG
I went out with Rick to the West Bay flats this past Wednesday getting my first taste of saltwater (or any) fly fishing. We didn't see much but it was thoroughly enjoyed and I can't wait to get back out on the water. Thursday I picked up an Orvis Practicaster to work on my cast at home until that time comes.
Salt of the water
AG
How do sails on the fly work? Troll teasers and bring em in for a shot, or just find them working a school of bait and sight cast?

RickSawyer
AG
A few photos to share...

Salt of the water
AG
They got some awesome video of those eats. I wonder if that is a professional quality video camera or a dslr that shoots video.
BKClark
AG
On Sailfish, you tease them up to the transom and then take your shot
Centerpole90
AG
Definitely one or the other, those closeup shots are impossible with an action camera.

I've decided that in addition to the goPro, I'll take my handheld digital camcorder to the marsh with me. It wasn't really expensive when I bought it (certainly a lot less than a quality DSLR) and the goPro just doesn't get the action at the end of a cast very well. I've used the camera in the past to video basketball games and it doesn't even go there anymore - so it's coming out of semiretirement. Hopefully we get into some bulls and I can get some of those topwater eats on film. This seldom works out like I plan but by dang I'm going prepared.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.