Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,666 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dr_boogs
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ragoo
AG
Just go all in
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/736194-2013-hells-bay-marquesa.html
Ragoo
AG
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/627322-2014-hells-bay-guide.html
Salt of the water
AG
That seafoam seadeck.

Seems like yall are on to something here.

Two skiffs... At the same time.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
This is my inspiration. I wouldn't do the faux-mahogany wrap though. But I do want to do either teak or mahogany toe rails, cockpit floor, rod holders, deck chair, and the sea foam green hull and decks. Right down to swapping out the Etec decals for vintage Johnson Super SeaHorse emblems.

https://vimeo.com/46483878

That would look great. I have a soft spot for vintage whalers...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Alright guys, who here bought this?

2001 Hellsbay Waterman

He's not on here but the guy is an Aggie.

FB friend of mine.
Centerpole90
AG
Aggies tearing the Tx skiff scene up. #skifflife
BKClark
AG
Cp, you should get one!!!
Centerpole90
AG
GDit Bkc. You're making me self concious.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
Cp, you should get one!!!

It'd just be wasted on him, he never fishes anymore.
Centerpole90
AG
True. Dat.
TxAG-010
AG
I live no where near salt water and you guys are making me want a skiff! The pictures of the one with Flip sitting in it, that is a work of art!
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:
Alright guys, who here bought this?

2001 Hellsbay Waterman

He's not on here but the guy is an Aggie.

FB friend of mine.
Yeah saw that Rob got it! He was great when I ordered my Marshfly!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
So he's the dude behind MarshFly rods? Good for him.
Centerpole90
AG
That's a beard growin' dude.

I made a little progress toward fishing today. I have been wrestling with propping my boat since I've freakin' had it. It had a gawd-awful waaaaayyyy too much prop when I got it and I asked around and sought advice on what to go with. Capt. Eric Glass is running the exact same boat/motor combo I am so I got in touch with him and ordered a PowerTech SWW4R13 just like his. Because of transitive property, Right?

All I can ever get is about 4800 rpm. I can actually get to 5000 or a little more right before the prop blows out. So I called EG and confirmed we were indeed running the same prop. Yep, it's the same one. He even had a recently rebuilt one sitting in the pickup so he measured it. 12.5". That's REBUILT to 12.5", they are 13.5 when they are new, and mine was darn closer to 14". Capt. EG works to get his clients in shallow 'cause he flat wears a prop out.

Anyway, using the 1" = 1000 RPM rule I took it down to Mr. Ybarra's prop shop today and we discussed it. He is going to dehorn my prop a bit so I can spin it faster. The holeshot is good and he'll rebuild the cup the same but because I won't fish enough in 5 years to wear it down to where I need it, I'm taking a shortcut.
BKClark
AG
Dude, all that sand down there will eat a prop down in no time. Just gotta run da boat.

Oh, and spray some liquid rollers on your bunks when you drop it in the water.

You about ready to go? Finished my last quail hunt today, fishing from here on out.
Centerpole90
AG
I wore more sand home tonight than that damn boat will see before April 1.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
So he's the dude behind MarshFly rods? Good for him.
I had my bayou vista Rob's mixed up... That Rob isn't associated with Marshfly... He does post some good **** on the Houston Fly Fishing group on Facebook though.
Salt of the water
AG
Just get one. You can figure out when and where to use it later since you'll be all in.
Centerpole90
AG
There are lots of us that will keep the battery charged.
Centerpole90
AG
Hey, this weekend is our local boat show. Check it. I can't believe this shallow stalker isn't sporting a push pole. Can. Not. Believe it.

could do a 'how many' sunchaser style - on rod holders.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Hey, this weekend is our local boat show. Check it. I can't believe this shallow stalker isn't sporting a push pole. Can. Not. Believe it.

could do a 'how many' sunchaser style - on rod holders.
This is the fallout of $100 oil. Damnit, Saudi Arabia!
Salt of the water
AG
I count 4...beer holders. You got to make sure that you don't have to search for a place the put your rod when you're ready to grab your beer.

I don't understand speakers on a flats boat. If I even set my push pole down wrong the fish spook, so how do people catch fish on the flats while listening to music? Or is it just so they can blare their tunes while they're burning shorelines?
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
I don't understand speakers on a flats boat. If I even set my push pole down wrong the fish spook, so how do people catch fish on the flats while listening to music? Or is it just so they can blare their tunes while they're burning shorelines?
THANK YOU. I always feel like the Lone Ranger making this case because that is exactly my experience and the way I see it. Funny thing is, I'm starting to think we are wrong. It may not be in skinny, skinny water, but guys who are drift fishing seem to do just fine with the radio blaring. It is nothing now to be down around the mouth of the Arroyo near Dunkin's poling along and be able to hear two different soundtracks wafting from boats anchored up on the channel edge. Boat hulls are like huge drums. And, yes, absolutely they are required to burn a shoreline right. You'll notice though, most East Cape's leave with speakers in them, I see lots of Mavs and other skiffs with speakers in them - so it could be we are all wet on this one. I throw a bluetooth speaker in my boat bag in case I want to listen to something and I've yet to use it on the water; just when washing the boat.

I had friend with a Shallow Sport years ago - it was a super slick boat, guy was a perfectionist. I noticed one day his Ritchie compass was wonky. The gimbal was locked over to the side like it was welded and wouldn't budge, even though it was still full of fluid. I mentioned it was out of character for him to neglect it - so he grumbled something about 'Sound Advice' in Harlingen and opened the console hatch. Inside was a subwoofer that would have made an AC/DC roadie proud. The magnet in it must have been weighed 80 pounds and destroyed his chances of navigating home until he threw it overboard.

What I imagine.

Kalebcs
Music playing while fishing, for me, is the exact opposite of why I'm there. Everyone is different, but sometimes I shake my head when a boat rolls through blaring pop country. That's the kind of stuff that'll drive a man to the mountains.
Salt of the water
AG
I grew up fishing in aluminum boats which carry sound worse than fiberglass. Cooler slamming was a capital offense.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. One good thing about fishing in shell hell is that I don't see many other people.
BKClark
AG
You are not alone grasshoppa
RickSawyer
AG
I know this is hard to fathom but lots of guys buy boats to party on sandbars... I think that boat Centerpole posted up is a sandbar hopper.

Again, I blame $100 oil. This is what happens when you pay rednecks way too much money... I know first hand.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I know this is hard to fathom but lots of guys buy boats to party on sandbars... I think that boat Centerpole posted up is a sandbar hopper.

Again, I blame $100 oil. This is what happens when you pay rednecks way too much money... I know first hand.

I'm sure they do but there are a helluva lot better boats for that then some tricked out flats boat. And if they've got the scratch for a $100K flats boat then they'd be better served to spend $60K on a party/ski boat and $40K on a fishing boat.

No speakers on my boat. I'm not out there to jam out, not to mention the spooking of fish. Plus it's another electrical system to get effed up in the saltwater. IMHO, the less electrical on a boat the better. I do the waterproof Bluetooth speakers for taking the family out to play.
cheezag03
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm sure they do but there are a helluva lot better boats for that then some tricked out flats boat. And if they've got the scratch for a $100K flats boat then they'd be better served to spend $60K on a party/ski boat and $40K on a fishing boat.

No speakers on my boat. I'm not out there to jam out, not to mention the spooking of fish. Plus it's another electrical system to get effed up in the saltwater. IMHO, the less electrical on a boat the better. I do the waterproof Bluetooth speakers for taking the family out to play.
Often times I launch at the dike and will make the 40-50 mile round trip around east bay with various wades and drifts....sometimes by myself. Its nice to sometimes have the radio when running or on very low volume on some of those long mid-day 100 degree reef drifts. I mix it up though. Sometimes its a full boat at the jetties or music can keep the lady wanting to stay out longer. Its nice to have, but stays off when its DOSS.

The weather has gotten the best of my radio and speaker install on my 15 year old GC Class 18" , and it is just one more thing that can go wrong or drain the battery.

Crank this on the ICW.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Music playing while fishing, for me, is the exact opposite of why I'm there. Everyone is different, but sometimes I shake my head when a boat rolls through blaring pop country. That's the kind of stuff that'll drive a man to the mountains.
to each their own. i love music and absolutely will want speakers in any boat i get. maybe not while fishing but while cruising, or going for a late afternoon/evening boat ride.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:

I wont disagree with any above.
Centerpole90
AG
Puro RGV Bro!!!! No chinges!!

Rod holders to the front keep in those dead mullet in view of the captains chairs!!
Salt of the water
AG
quote:

east bay
reef drifts
at the jetties

So basically... Not on the flats. I completely understand that.
Centerpole90
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.