Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,401 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw LRHF's post on the freshwater thread and decided this thread was in need of a bump. My fishing buddy and I did a DIY trip out of POC couple of weeks ago. Made it down on a weekday, hardly any boats on the water. Had a great day with a bunch of shots. Had to deal with some clouds and water quality wasn't great but it was good enough. Got a chance to pole my buddy's skiff and get him on a fish. It was a great day, will be down there next week to do it again.

Buddy's Cayo headed to the launch. If you've never fished a Cayo, they are so sweet:

Headed out little Mary's cut as the sun came up:

Nice spots!:

My buddy on a fish:
RickSawyer
AG
Glad to see someone out here still has time to fish.
dr_boogs
AG
Let's go wet a hook sometime! Your posts on this thread helped me decide to take the plunge. PM me and let's pick some days!
TarponChaser
Nice Cayo.

I posted my own thread but my new baby came home Tuesday.

https://instagr.am/p/CUX-AXXrYQg
Centerpole90
AG
Brother, EVEN I MADE THE TIME to take a trip last week. First one since ringing in the New Year @ Cocodrie chasing bulls. I will say, the fish were anticipating my return to the water and welcomed us generously. Didn't take any still shots, but here's a video screen grab of one of many 2022 lettermen we taught the way of the fly.

Can't wait to see the Sabine in person TC. hint. hint.. E v e r g l....
RickSawyer
AG
Yall are killing me! I need to get out. Schedule has been so hectic been really just grabbing the quick shots to go snag a few bass and sunfish when I find a quick bit of time recently.
LRHF
AG
All these new boats! Anybody want to trade bow time? (Salt for freshwater)
Centerpole90
AG
Truth Bomb.

https://instagr.am/p/CUe_KJhAsAV
dr_boogs
Salt of the water
AG
It's fall y'all.

dr_boogs
AG
Nice! Where'd you get that Push trucker cap - great birthday gift for my buddy.
Centerpole90
AG
I can answer that for him. He got it at Slacker Tide and chose to reveal it to his friends right after they were SOLD OUT.
dr_boogs
AG
Nice
Salt of the water
AG
dr_boogs - You could get a pusherman hat from flood tide. It's a close second, unless the friend is a busch drinker and that's why you wanted to get it. I bet slackertide could do a one off if you reached out and wanted one bad enough.
https://floodtideco.com/products/pusherman-foam-trucker-hat

Centerpole90 - It was on sale. Didn't want you to buy them all before I got my order in.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Now is a good time to be down. Fall fishing in full swing. Just got back from a week in POC and fishing the Borracho Pescador. If you or anyone wants some bow time, I'm always game to push. Here's a nice pumpkin.

dr_boogs
AG
Just picked up two of those pusherman hats for gifts. Thanks for the link!
dr_boogs
AG
Man, that's A great fish. I'll be down in POC fishing this next Tuesday/Wednesday. Kids have a week off from school. One day sight casting w my favorite guide, second day traditional - whole family trip. PM incoming.
TarponChaser
@centerpole90 - if you come pack up my house so we can move into the new one and get the current house ready to sell then I'll take the Sabine on the Everglades trip.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have a wife, home, or bank account when I returned. So then I'd have the sell the new boat or figure out a way to live on it.
Salt of the water
AG
1. Hire a moving company to pack everything, move it, and unpack in the new place.
2. Earn major brownie points with the wife for making moving a breeze.
3. Cash in said brownie points on a weeklong Everglades trip.
LRHF
AG
Salt of the water said:

1. Hire a moving company to pack everything, move it, and unpack in the new place.
2. Earn major brownie points with the wife for making moving a breeze.
3. Cash in said brownie points on a weeklong Everglades trip.

Solid!
dr_boogs
AG
Pics from a week ago. Getting my 10 year old into fly fishing as fast as I can. Fished out of Seadrift this trip.

Weather was perfect. Water was still up a bit from that last rain. Personal best sight casting day for me, landed 5, my little guy broke one off a nice fish learning how drag works on a fly reel, and I lost another big one w a poor hook set. Amazing day! Great memories.

Auto filter decides to ban the picture of dad and his kid w the biggest fish of the day. Nice, TexAgs.
Aggieangler93
AG
Nice fish with your son. I guess they initially were blocked b/c of the ding a ling looking items in the bottom left of each pic.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
LRHF
AG
LRHF
AG
Day 1

Drove from Durango, CO to Albuquerque, spent the night and caught a flight to Houston. Uber to the woodlands and eat amazing redfish Tacos at Good Co. Cantina while I wait my fishing partner to leave work early with the skiff and drive to Delacroix Island, LA!

After a wonderful trip down I -10 we get a few hours of sleep and wake up to a foggy windless morning. Launch at the Hopedale Marina and head for the Gulf! We fished one flat along the way and spooked some small reds in skinny water.

We eased down to the gulf and conditions were dead calm... time to head to the Chandeliers!!!

Once the sun came up, we started seeing fish immediately and it was Game On! We fished the outside edge of the island with the trolling motor sight fishing to bull reds and black drum for hours.

We landed 18 fish, kept two under 28" and the rest were bulls in the 38-39" range. Saw massive schools of Black Drum!

The run home was equally calm. Had a couple of beers on the way back and enjoyed the scenery on the run through the marsh back to Hopedale. We have talked about making the trip to the islands for a few years but conditions never allowed and career stuff makes planning for the small weather windows difficult, pumped it finally all came together! We covered 107 miles on Day 1!

dr_boogs
AG
Boom! That'll bump the thread. Look at those toads! LHRF with a big nasty. That's OB POTD right there, needs another star. My fishing buddy is heading to LA in a couple of weeks to chase reds, can't wait to show him these pics.

We are fishing down in POC next Monday and Tuesday, will share pics next week.

Edit to ask - how you like that Hatch iconic? What rod and weight did you fish?
LRHF
AG
dr_boogs said:

Boom! That'll bump the thread. Look at those toads! LHRF with a big nasty. That's OB POTD right there, needs another star. My fishing buddy is heading to LA in a couple of weeks to chase reds, can't wait to show him these pics.

We are fishing down in POC next Monday and Tuesday, will share pics next week.

Edit to ask - how you like that Hatch iconic? What rod and weight did you fish?

The iconic belongs to my fishing partner (I have a similar but older Hatch). The reel is really nice and balanced the 9 wt rod well. I really like the large knobs adjustment oN the Hatch reels. I fish some Nautilus reels as well but need to send one in for drag servicing.

We are fishing Northfork Composites (Gary Loomis that are fast action Gamma Beta blanks). Sweet rods and over lined with 10 wt lines.
LRHF
AG
Day 2-

We generally use the entire day, we were lights at the Delacroix Lodge at 8:45 pm for another 4:30 am wake up.

We woke up to no fog, warmer temps (in the 60's) and dead calm! The boat is always wet and this am was no exception, the skiff was covered in bugs.

After a short drive to Hopedale, we launched the skiff and headed towards the gulf. The seas were dead calm but the cloud cover was pretty thick. It was clear that we could make another Chandeleurs trip and off we went!

The day started trolling the same shoreline but the outside waves were making for a sloppy cruise up the shoreline and the light was poor (clouds and still super early)

We saw huge schools of juvenile black drum, tons of rays and caught a nice bull in the surf (he was cruising the bank in shallow water looking for food and crushed the fly!)

The black drum were being pretty challenging but we did catch a small keeper. It became a bit too dangerous spotting from the poling platform and we made a move to an interior protected island.

I was on the poling platform (with the Pole) and we were targeting small reds. We caught a couple and started seeing some big fins out of the water in a little deeper water 100-200 yards off the shoreline. We eased over and hooked a bull. While fighting this fish, we started seeing more bulls swim by and caught our first double of the day. By the end of the day, we were well over 20 fish, had six "doubles" and stayed in the same area for the entire day. 4 other skiffs eventually joined us and there was a lot of whooping coming from all the boats, it was surreal! By noon, the clouds had moved out and we had great sight fishing conditions.

I've never see so many fish in my life! They would come in waves and while most were black drum, we would spot reds with them and pick them out. Our largest fish of the day taped out at 40" and the rest of the bulls were generally 38/39".

Thanks for following and feel free to ask questions, call, text etc! It was epic and would love to see others have a similar outing! I think our biggest take away is target the days where the wind is projected to be 5 mph or less to make the trip.

LRHF
(720) 425-6138

AgFlyGuy
AG
That's pretty awesome. Save some for me, we're headed down the 3rd week in Feb with a group of 12.

Thanks for the post and the pics.
Badace52
AG
Epic fishing... very jealous.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dr_boogs
AG
Thread bump…. Somebody upgraded their gear. Custom order Tibor Everglades that I placed right at start of Covid finally came in. Over a year and a half on order. Took a vacation day and went to Gordy and Sons and picked it up.

Cast a few 8 wts to pair w my new reel. It fit like a glove on a Thomas & Thomas sextant. Matte silver even matched up perfectly. So SWEEEEEET!!!!

Down in POC fishing today and tomorrow. Fishing report to follow.

AgFlyGuy
AG
man that thing looks sweet, but the reel is backwards
dr_boogs
AG
Ha ha ha…..looks perfect to me. BTW caught a nice red on the fly today on that shoreline that you and I talked about a couple of months ago. We fish the north shoreline of that area a lot, but hooked up on the S shoreline of that same bay, right at the end of that map photo you sent my way. Thanks for the hookup!
AgFlyGuy
AG
Sold
TexasAg2017
AG
For you guys that fish solo, do y'all pole from the front of the boat or do you add some extra weight up front and pole from the back? I'm having a hard time managing the pole and switching to my rod to cast at fish. I can somewhat make it work from the bow but for obvious reasons I can't see as well as I could from the platform.
LRHF
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

For you guys that fish solo, do y'all pole from the front of the boat or do you add some extra weight up front and pole from the back? I'm having a hard time managing the pole and switching to my rod to cast at fish. I can somewhat make it work from the bow but for obvious reasons I can't see as well as I could from the platform.

Pole from the back. Get a stripping basket to hold your fly rod on the deck of the boat (with line out). Tie off the pole and pick up the rod to make a cast.

Another option is to get an I -pilot with remote control. Works well for bulls in 2-4' of water. Fish from the bow and don't run over your line!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.