Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,820 Views | 3068 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dmperch
elnaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texican08 said:

So I'm needing a little help guys. I've been trying to figure out Green's Lake and for the life of me I can't find clean water. On Saturday I found my way up a path into the marsh near the back part of Greens and it was a little cleaner, but it's normal for me to get back there and not actually spot fish through all that chocolate. The wife put a nice cast on a slot red but she put the death grip on her line when the fish ran and it shook the fly. And that was the only red seen that morning (saw a lot of spotted gar)...

I started exploring the wetlands restoration area and the backdoor entrance from Harborwalk. Has anyone done any good around that area? It looked promising but the wind picked up so i decided to head in.
Warning: Long post, but the marsh is my homie and I could write a novel on this stuff.

Was the water tanin stained like almost a blackish tea color or just muddy brown? Tanin stained will be from freshwater run off and tanins being released from dead and rotting vegetation but muddy brown is the norm for Greens in most areas. Greens is primarily silty muddy bottom so anytime the wind picks up it's going to get dirty in a hurry. There's a few areas that have some patchy grass and others with a more firm sandy bottom that will stay less dirty, but that's not the norm. In general seagrasses are what help filter and keep the turbidity down in the marsh so if you want clean water, look on google maps for areas with seagrasses (hint hint a certain backlake/marsh just south of Greens). Another tactic that sometimes works if you're wanting to find cleaner water (and this is relative) is to work leeward shorelines in the coves. As long as the wind hasn't been pumping for a long time or recently switched directions you should be able to find cleanish water that you may be able to see fish in. Clean water is a gift and curse though. Any advantage you have to see the fish, the fish also has that advantage to see you and in general clear water fish are a lot more spooky.

Greens is a target rich environment so don't be scared of dirty water bc it's a huge advantage if you know what you're doing. This leaves you with basically two options. First, as SoW and Rick mentioned, go from sight casting to "sign casting". Learn to look for the subtle signs of redfish and don't be afraid to cast at what you think might be a fish. The subtle signs could be a shrimp flick out of the water, a piece of grass moving unnaturally, a wide wake getting pushed, a swirl or a tail or fin briefly break the surface. A more obvious sign would be gulls working over the top of a fish or pod of fish. Listen for things like crashes and pops and learn to differentiate between a mullet jumping and splatting vs a redfish popping a shrimp or crashing bait on a shoreline. Slow down and be methodical and you'll notice a lot more of the signs. Por ejemplo I was fishing a couple weeks ago in a marsh where the water was high and dirty and it was foggy as a mofo. I couldn't see more than about 20ft in front of me but I could hear a red crashing in the distance. I followed the sound to a little slough and could hear the fish moving back in some flooded grass where I couldn't cast to him. I waited and watched and finally saw the grass move a bit and a shrimp flick right on the edge of the grass so I fired off a cast. Boomtown. Never saw the fish until his head came out of the water to eat the fly.

Your other option is go really shallow. Find the areas that are either less than a foot of water or the areas of flooded grass. The shallower water is where they'll be backing or tailing and in general make it harder for them to move without being detected. Never underestimate how shallow a redfish will go to find food. The pic below was in Greens. I was fishing a shallow area of flooded grass that normally has a couple of inches on it and you can see the water is cleaner here, but the fish were also tailing and backing. The wind was blowing hard this day too.

The last tip I'll add is learn how redfish like to feed. In my experience there's basically two ways they'll feed; actively and passively. Active feeding they'll be cruising or tailing along shorelines in singles or pods or herding shrimp in pods in the middle of a backlake or slough or on a flat. These fish are generally easier to notice bc the subtle signs are more obvious and in some cases blatantly obvious. Look at the pictures I posted above of the schools of reds. I don't care how dirty the water is, you're not going to miss them. The real challenge is the passive feeding fish. These fish will lay pretty still on the bottom and wait for the bait to come to them. They easily go undetected in dirty water but if you understand how they're feeding, it gets easier. These guys are using the current to their advantage so in somewhere like Greens you'll often see reds sit on the edges of the leeward side of the spartina islands laid up waiting to ambush a shrimp that is getting pushed past by a wind driven current or tide. You can either blind cast those spots or slow way down and really search those areas for the fish or signs of that fish, like him popping a shrimp or even just the water heaving from him purging his gills as he eats the bait.

I've fished the wetland restoration area a couple of times and never seen any fish back in there. Just tons of kong mullet and some cool birds. There's a good amount of shrimp in those grass stands though so I'm sure reds go in there at some point.
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

Salt of the water said:

This is spot on. Watch for shrimp popping, listen for feeding fish, watch for tension on the water etc... a few times of year that particular area really cleans up and offers an extremely fun day but it doesn't last long. Also, know your tides and study how and where the water clears on tidal movements. Happy to discuss further over email, fredericksawyer at gmail

When Greens clears up those fish are as spooky as a virgin at a prison rodeo. Especially when a particular flats boat is back in there burning the shorelines. You gotta really down size your fly selection and pay attention to your presentation but it's awesome being able to see fish from way off and watching their reaction to the fly and of course the eaaaaaaaattt
texican08
AG
Preciate the words Naco! The water in Greens the other day was the same as always, muddy brown. It seemed to clear up in a slough off the northwest corner but just didn't seem like it was as clear as it should be. I'll keep your words in mind for this weekend. I'm going to try and run down there Sunday and take advantage of that north wind.
elnaco
AG
What kind of boat you running?

If you can, try and get there at the end of high tide and fish the outgoing tide. Normally this will pull the shrimp out of the grass and get the reds to start schooling up so they'll be easier to find. Be careful back in there this weekend though. The last time you were in there the tides were probably higher than normal. These fronts are going to push water out and it could be mucho challow back in there in some spots.
Salt of the water
AG
What are these low tides that you speak of?
https://instagr.am/p/Bap-tF1lDkO
FBG_Ag78
AG
Speaking of tides. What app or website do y'all find most helpful for predicting the tides?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Never used one of those, or any rod shorter than 9' for that matter. I like the sound of mangrove snook and tarpon though.

My coworker has been bragging about reds around Tampa lately. Made a 5 hour drive (round trip) to check it out yesterday, but we didn't have any luck. Caught some half pound mangrove snapper on an 8wt just to avoid a shutout- wasn't very rewarding.

The same friend caught a barracuda on his spinning rod and called it a Spanish mackerel. Now I'm wondering if the "redfish" he's been seeing are actually mullet.
Hmmmm....whereabouts?
Salt of the water
AG
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.html?gid=1413#listing

This NOAA site has predicted and actual tides. Very helpful because the predictions don't account for wind driven tide changes which can cause large changes on the Texas coast.
elnaco
AG
Salt of the water said:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.html?gid=1413#listing

This NOAA site has predicted and actual tides. Very helpful because the predictions don't account for wind driven tide changes which can cause large changes on the Texas coast.
X2 on NOAA but I also will use tides4fishing.com. I use NOAA more for checking the actuals.

Another thing you have to pay attention to is your location vs the location of the tide gauge. For example if you're fishing Greens and you're looking at the tide gauge for the Galveston Ship Channel the tide times are going to lag some amount of time from what you're seeing in the tables due to your distance from there. Experience is the only thing that'll tell you by how much or how little though. As salt mentioned you also need to understand the affect wind has on a tide. It's possible for the wind to completely negate a tide change in an area.
Ayto Siks
Near the skyway bridge. Salt of the water scouted it on Google maps and sent me some pin drops. If you post your email I'll send what I have, but you can see the grass flats on Google and find lots of good spots DIY.
Ayto Siks
That long post was greatness. I usually write 5 pages, then edit down to an abstract. Really enjoy the long reads though, well done.
sunchaser
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BaraOIIhvR6
Ayto Siks
It would take a lot of feathers to tie this pattern...

https://instagr.am/p/Bat4f8vh5XH
Centerpole90
AG
I started to post this also!! Let's go when mine graduates HS!
AgLA06
AG
Ayto Siks said:

It would take a lot of feathers to tie this pattern...

https://instagr.am/p/Bat4f8vh5XH
Hole E *****
sunchaser
AG
Several of us from Cline's were trying to get a time frame to go to Christmas Island. One of them went with 3 buddies several years ago. They caught a lot.....broke seven 12 weights.

Hurricane Harvey put in on the back burner.....I'll check with you once we start talking.
Centerpole90
AG
Please do.
elnaco
AG
Ayto Siks said:

That long post was greatness. I usually write 5 pages, then edit down to an abstract. Really enjoy the long reads though, well done.
Thank you sir. That was definitely a condensed version but I could write a thesis on the subject.
Salt of the water
AG
Had a stellar day in the bay/marsh yesterday. The winds were light, the water was clear, and the fish were tailing all day. The North wind Friday night and Saturday really dropped the tide and got the skrimps on the move. The fishing was great but I did a terrible job at the catching part, let me tell y'all about all the ways I screwed up so you can have a good Monday morning laugh.

I started off on the bow of and maybe a hundred yards past our shore launch point we started seeing tailing fish. Drug a fly through a few headstanding fish and got some bumps but couldn't get a hook-set. It was still early-ish and the water hadn't warmed up with the sun yet so the fish were feeding pretty lazily. Eased on a bit down the shoreline and saw a fish moseying down a grass line. Chunk a cast at him, and line a fish in front of him I didn't even see. Both fish blew out.

Started poling after the next little pod of tailers we saw. We were pushing some mullet and they must have spooked the reds because they were gone by the time we got to where they were poling. I spotted a cruising fish and led him with a cast. Got the fly close enough that he turned his head and started following. I saw him open his mouth and flare his gils from a few feet behind the fly. I gave it a pause and then a short strip to try and entice him and he lunged right while I was stripping. Closed his mouth on nothing and then bolted.

Eased up on another group of tailers. And I finally got tight with a fish. It ran for about 30 ft and right when I was about to get it on the reel it came unbuttoned.

At this point I told my buddy I'd push him around some. Didn't know how long the tailers were going to last and I'd had plenty of nice shots so I wanted to give him a turn.

We pushed down a bay shoreline that had a series of small marsh drains dumping into it. The reds were fattening up for winter on poor helpless shrimp. In about a 20 minute span, my friend caught a heavy 28" fish on one side of a 15 ft wide drain, came tight with one fish inside the drain, and caught a 26" from the other side of the drain. Fished a few more drains and he caught a couple more. I finally got back on the bow. We rounded a corner and came up on nice clear sandy bottom section of shoreline.

I had a few rejections on my crack fly, shortened the tail, still got rejected and cut the fly off and threw it away. I like to use red thread for the heads on my crack flies but I was out and tied this on with orange. Figure the orange must be bad mojo for a couple of ags and disposed of the fly hoping that would turn my game around. I opened up the fly box and figured a gold spoon may be different enough with a little flutter to get a bite. First shot was at a hefty shouldered fish backing in maybe 8 inches of clear water. I drug the spoon across his nose and he followed. I thought maybe my luck had finally turned and things were going to start coming together. Did a little stop-strip stop-strip retrieve and he nosed down on the fly and decided he didn't want it. Started swimming in an opposite direction. I got it back in front of him and he decided he really didn't like the spoon and blew out.

My buddy had been nailing the fish on a little merkin type crab with a craft fur tail. He wanted me to tie one on when I grabbed the spoon, so after that straight up snub I gave in and grabbed one of his flies. Also swapped out to one of his lighter 10lb leaders in-case the line was spooking them in the clear water. (I usually throw 16 lb in the muddy marsh and 12 lb on days where there is a little visibility.)

Onward another backing fish that is smaller than the last one but pretty much the exact same shot. Drop the crab in front of him and after a couple little strips get the eat. After having a few come unbuttoned and not getting good hooksets earlier, I give this one a 16 lb test hook-set. On 10 lb leader. And plink went the line. My buddy wants me to grab his rod and fish this little marsh creek we can see a bunch of activity in. I've already put on a dadgum clinic on how not to catch a red, so I tell him to let me push the danged boat and he can take his day from solid to epic. He catches a fish in the mouth to the creek, and hooks a few more that come unbuttoned up in the marsh.

We pole back out and decided to start heading back. Motor back towards where we launched and start poling back to the truck. Working down the shoreline we start spotting tailers. Before we could even get to the tailing fish we saw my friend picks up a cruising red and a solid sheepshead. We'd seen a few sheeps earlier but they were just cruising along and blew out pretty quick. This one was in a deeper pocket and had his nose down munching on something. Dropped the fly in front of him, let it sink, and the craft fur did the rest.

We're almost back to the truck after that sheep so I get back on the bow to take one last shot at redemption. Miss a couple cruising fish, and spooked a fish laid up in 6" of water with a loud fly plop. I figure I'm done for the day. We're just kind of easing down the bank, and I spot a big sheepy just sitting on the bottom. I dropped a crabbit fly down in front of him. It sinks down to a few inches in front of his nose. He pounces on it. I get a solid strip set (but not too solid) and the fight is on. He takes line and I get him on the reel. Start working him back to the boat and he rolls over. Hook comes out. At this point I'd already resigned to the fact that it was just not my day. And then I get my first really good sheep eat ever and a respectable hookset and think maybe just maybe all that junk from the beginning of the day was to make this sweeter. But alas, I stayed true to my course. No fish boated for me.

So my day was kind of like that Robin Williams bit about golf (edited for filters).

"Near the end I'll put a flat piece with a little flag to give you hope But then I'll put a pool and sandbag to screw with your ball again. You'll be there trashing yourself away in the sand!!!

You do this one time?

#$^ no! EIGHTEEN @#$#%%% TIMES!

So yeah, probably the best day of fishing I've ever had with a fly rod, and simultaneously the worst day catching.

And a little tip I picked up for those of you who made it this far. When you have glare on smooth water, try tilting your head to one side of the other until the polarization in your glasses matches up right and you'll be able to see right through the glare. Clear, slick water on cloudless days are rare but sure nice when they do show up.
elnaco
AG
Man every report I've seen from this weekend has just been epic. Kicking myself for not going, but there will be more days like this.

Don't worry, we all have days where nothing seems to be working, shrug it off and consider it your sacrifice to the fish gods for a day where everything comes together and you can do no wrong. My rule of thumb with calm clear water fish is always downsize your fly and throw natural colors. Kinda surprising that red didn't like the spoon fly. Reds are usually crackheads when it comes to a spoon fly, they want da gold!
elnaco
AG
texican08 said:

Preciate the words Naco! The water in Greens the other day was the same as always, muddy brown. It seemed to clear up in a slough off the northwest corner but just didn't seem like it was as clear as it should be. I'll keep your words in mind for this weekend. I'm going to try and run down there Sunday and take advantage of that north wind.
Soooo did you end up going or what?
texican08
AG
Ended up going, started on the leeside of the ICW spoils. Probably got there a little later than I wanted but still tailers everywhere. Messed around there for a bit poling the wife around. Finicky. Had a bunch of follows and refusals throwing a spoon fly and a copper mini corona toad.

About noon went to Greens...anddddd it kicked my ass. Had a couple of shots but didn't see too many shallow where I was. I thought about going to the very back shoreline but didn't want to mess with it as low as the tide was.

As smooth as the bay was I should have ran across and explored Dana some but I'm hard headed and determined to figure out Greens.

Salt of the water
AG
texican08 said:

As smooth as the bay was I should have ran across and explored Dana some but I'm hard headed and determined to figure out Greens.

I got skunked quite a bit trying to learn a spot that I was being stubborn about. Totally worth it in the end to have an area I know really well. Lots of Google Earth viewing (look back for the low tide, clear water days) helped, but the biggest help was probably fishing some winter low tide days. Having everything exposed by a winter low helps you find the shell pads, deep holes, thalwegs between ponds, and other features that hold fish. It's neat to go to an area that normally holds fish and then get to figure out the reason they are there.
sunchaser
AG
FBG_Ag78
AG
Salt of the water said:

And a little tip I picked up for those of you who made it this far. When you have glare on smooth water, try tilting your head to one side of the other until the polarization in your glasses matches up right and you'll be able to see right through the glare. Clear, slick water on cloudless days are rare but sure nice when they do show up.

Capt. Tom Horbey shared that tip after a few hours of fishing with him in POC last year. Asked why he didn't share that earlier in the day he said in his driest tone, "because I'm the guide and the guide is supposed to see the fish first." It makes a big difference!
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Ba6XIhWlMQv
sunchaser
AG
Neat video
elnaco
AG
texican08 said:

Ended up going, started on the leeside of the ICW spoils. Probably got there a little later than I wanted but still tailers everywhere. Messed around there for a bit poling the wife around. Finicky. Had a bunch of follows and refusals throwing a spoon fly and a copper mini corona toad.

About noon went to Greens...anddddd it kicked my ass. Had a couple of shots but didn't see too many shallow where I was. I thought about going to the very back shoreline but didn't want to mess with it as low as the tide was.

North shoreline fish can be surprisingly picky when it clears up but if they were tailing they were obviously feeding. Tailing should tip you off on where in the water column they're looking for their food though so maybe next time try something you can crawl on bottom where they're concentrating like a small EP or fiddlesticks crab. The abundant flash in that corona toad may have turned them off too, I've seen that happen in clear water before. Sounds like you saw fish though which is always a positive.

You ain't missing nothing in Dana's unless you're into kayak parties.
Ayto Siks
Raising the bar on trip reports, even without pics.
BKClark
AG
Can you make that cast or do you tend to choke up when fish are present?

J/K
Centerpole90
AG
I just look at em on the internet.
sunchaser
AG
OK CP & NW80.....

I'm hooked up for the first time and about to head out. I need to borrow a couple of high dollar rods....with new line..... and some of those fly thingys.

I also need directions to Fence Lake, Bullet Hole, Tadpole Hole, Gladis & Peyton's....Thanks in advance

RickSawyer
AG
sunchaser said:

OK CP & NW80.....

I'm hooked up for the first time and about to head out. I need to borrow a couple of high dollar rods....with new line..... and some of those fly thingys.

I also need directions to Fence Lake, Bullet Hole, Tadpole Hole, Gladis & Peyton's....Thanks in advance

Centerpole doesn't fish dude, you know that! He is tucking that HPX away as a collectors item!!!
elnaco
AG
sunchaser said:

OK CP & NW80.....

Congrats on the new skiff! Let's see some full body shots, don't be a prude!

I can give you on the water direction to Fence, Gladys' and Peyton's and will only charge you a measly service fee of some bow time. I'll even provide cold beers, flies and laughs. Those locations are also 3 different trips in themselves sooooo.... But for real though, don't waste your time with Fence Lake unless you're fishing during the week. Too many weekend warriors burning shorelines up in there searching for the elusive tambor negro.
Centerpole90
AG
Ima hoarder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.