Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,416 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Salt of the water said:

Saltydog - T&P for your pocketbook. Did you ever end up picking up an outfit?

Rick - thanks for the rec. Is that a spun deerhair body? Sounds like they had to weight it to get it to sink.
They do have a weight to sink but I have used it to catch sheepy, the most skittish fish I've found. So, it lands pretty quiet from my experience. I have also used Borski slider for shoulders out fish with okay results but redfish can hardly resist a small crab jumping before their eyes.
elnaco
AG
That crab looks like a Bauer crab. The O.G. bauer crab was tied with sculpin wool but some people use McFly Foam. Bauer crabs had weights but the sculpin wool, once saturated, made the fly sink fast.

You could use a deer hair body like a fiddlesticks crab or use scotch brite like a contraband crab. The deer hair will land a whole lot softer though. Those two materials are a lot easier to work with than McFly foam and Sculpin wool. I've also had luck at catching uber shallow spooky fish on an EP taranutal harry legs type pattern.

If fish are belly crawling you have to throw a fly that'll sit on bottom. If their backs are out of the water it is very physically challenging for them to eat anything higher than that without exerting a ton of energy which if its hot they're not going to want to do. Don't ask why I didn't think of this when we saw those belly crawlers earlier this spring.
rather be fishing
AG
saltydog09 said:

Not yet I'm still trying to decide. I was thinking of maybe the Orvis Clearwater since it's under they're warranty vs the cheaper outfit.
What weight are you looking at?
saltydog13
AG
8 I think since it'll be used at the coast
rather be fishing
AG
saltydog09 said:

8 I think since it'll be used at the coast
At the recommendation of several on here, I went with a TFO Mangrove when I bought an 8wt rod. I've been very happy with it.

As for the Clearwater reel, I'm pretty sure it's not a good saltwater option due to the the design. Other may have better insight on that.

I put a Ross Rapid on mine, which I'm also happy with. It's not the best option out there, but for the price (~$100), it's solid. There's 1 flathead screw you remove to access the drag for washing after fishing.

The TFO and Ross both have good warrant coverage.
Salt of the water
AG
ICAST / IFTD (big fishing trade show where manufacturers unveil new models) just happened. New models for rods and reels should start showing up in fly shops soon. That means there will be discount deals on discontinued gear. If you keep an eye out for the next couple months you should be able to find a deal on a new outfit.
NW80
AG
I've had really good success with "backing" fish on a Gurgler!
BKClark
AG
Yep*2
Salt of the water
AG
How are yall presenting the Gurglers to the skinny water fish? Cast right at em and make small pops, or cast a ways away and pop harder to draw them over?
NW80
AG
I usually cast three or four feet in front of them and let it sit a bit. Sometimes their dorsal fine will stick up when the fly lands. But after you twitch it a couple of times it almost always will. When that happens you know "he's " on to it. Sometimes he'll crawl up to it and sometimes he'll blow it up from there. It all depends on what kind of feed he's on.
saltydog13
AG
Salt of the water said:

ICAST / IFTD (big fishing trade show where manufacturers unveil new models) just happened. New models for rods and reels should start showing up in fly shops soon. That means there will be discount deals on discontinued gear. If you keep an eye out for the next couple months you should be able to find a deal on a new outfit.

Yeah that's what I was thinking
elnaco
AG
If it's calm and shallow I usually try to slowly sneak the popper/ gurgler by the fish, I won't actually pop it. More just slowly drag it by the fish. Again this is when it's calm so the ripple it makes is very noticeable by the fish so they're able to track it without it spooking them.

If it's windy and shallow, pop away.
elnaco
AG
I've had a weird obsession with trying to incorporate rabbit hair in my flies lately. The way it moves and breathes in the water is tantalizing so I've started experimenting with using it in dubbing loops to replace hackle. My thought being it'll give my fly more action and be more durable.

Seaducer/ crack fly type pattern with a rabbit collar. Kind of hard to see but if you look closely there's also some flash material dubbed into the rabbit hair as well.

Grass Shrimp

RickSawyer
AG
Flies are looking good Naco. My flies aren't even close but I have also worked on using rabbit on similar patterns but generally I look at my fly a few days later, tear it apart and save the hook to butcher another fly another day.
elnaco
AG
Thank you sir.

Don't tear those flies up, go fish em! Ugly flies, ugly casts and ugly fishermen catch fish too.
FBG_Ag78
AG
elnaco said:

...Ugly flies, ugly casts and ugly fishermen catch fish too.

Didn't have to get personal
bamdvm
Not really fly fishing but....

Got the 4 year old out for a couple of hours this morning

She did most of it herself but daddy helped a little....

Lots of fish feeding aggressively on the shorelines this morning
bamdvm
Pretty flies elnaco

If you're ever in Rockport, bring me a bunch of those and I'll push you around awhile
RickSawyer
AG
Toad! I didn't realize you got a Gordon also! Right on.
RickSawyer
AG
Fished Gordy & Son's Galveston Classic. 25 skiffs, all jumping from Harborwalk fishing mostly the same waters under overcast conditions for two slotties with sheepy and speck side pots... what a relaxing way to spend a Saturday

Jumped back into a marsh early to look for feeding fish. I knew water clarity would be crap but we didn't have enough light to care anyway. Low tide buffet as the reds were blowing up shrimp on the marsh grass all around us but they were super spooky. We had to change our strategy a bit and focused on finding fish in ponds across from the creeks we were in, essentially casting in ponds over the grass... this was the only way we got these back-marsh fish to eat without disappearing from feeling the boat. The final tally for the marsh, 3 redfish, 18.5", 19.5", 22". Oh, and a first for me - an alligator gar which my buddy swore up and down was a big redfish as he was casting at it. Gnarly fish but smells like a pig farm and bleeds like you can't believe. Two showers later, I think I can still smell it.

Jumped out of the marsh halfway through the day and figured we'd check out the parade on the grass flats in the bay... To my surprise, the flat was empty save for a few conventional guys wading the outside for trout so we tucked in and got back at it. The grass is so thick this year that we had to change flies... I know it's not the most beautiful choice but gold spoon with wire weed guard is hard to beat in that grass. We saw a few singles, stumbled on a couple small tailers and then off in the distance I saw a slight disturbance moving towards our drift. Sure enough, a school of about 10 fish were terrorizing the flat and we yanked out another 22" fish. Now we were totally on the board! Another 250 yards up we spotted another school moving our way! This would be it! We were already on the board, just playing for lay now! Great cast, immediate take, great strip set... everything perfect except we needed the beautiful fish to grow another 5" to be inside the slot.

So goes fishing. We placed 4th and took home no hardware.

Really great time. Some awesome skiffs and even better people out there.

FBG_Ag78
Salt of the water
AG
Congrats on the 4/25 finish, that's solid.

Based on insta activity Saturday, looked like some sporty weather. Yall have to dodge any T-storms?

Whats the report on the skiff now that you've had the new one for a while? Anything the beaver did better?

How long did Puckett jam for? I hear he can really play.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Congrats on the 4/25 finish, that's solid.

Based on insta activity Saturday, looked like some sporty weather. Yall have to dodge any T-storms?

Whats the report on the skiff now that you've had the new one for a while? Anything the beaver did better?

How long did Puckett jam for? I hear he can really play.
We had some spotty showers but kinda had most of the storms move around us with only bits of soft rain... Actually kinda nice given how hot and humid it felt when the wind died mid morning.

The Waterman is just a much more complete skiff. The four blade prop jumps up on a plane quick, the 60hp zuki runs extremely well at WOT. We were about the 10th skiff released and passed about 4 boats on our way back up the ICW to reach our first destination. Nice to be able to do 35mph... Draft is really very comparable.

I do miss the simplicity of the simple, light weight tiller set up to be honest. I could pole the BT all day with minimal effort without feeling very sore the next day... Took some getting used to with the Waterman but I am getting accustomed to the extra weight. As for maneuverability and draft while poling, I think they are very comparable but the Waterman poles just a bit quieter actually.

The Micro was just so simple. If I got too far back somewhere I could literally step out, pick the stern up and push through dry land... Cant do that in a Waterman with a 60hp zuk on the stern. I also have a sneaking suspision that the reason there is a brand new outboard on the Waterman is because the previous owner smacked something pretty damn hard with the other outboard... There are two cracks on the cap near the transom which are a bit concerning but I am having Eric Simmons take a look at them later this week and should have it fixed in short order... The Micro was essentially brand new and I knew the entire detailed history of her so that was just peace of mind.

I actually didn't make it up to the party at Gordy & Sons due to some family obligations so I can't answer much about that but Paul was out there all day Saturday. Good guy, even if he is a Rangers fan.
K Bo
Ayto Siks
Congrats on the reds and tourney finish. I was in Houston for a quick trip over the wkd and stopped by Gordy & Sons to pick up some gurglers. I like how they are tied with thicker foam. The gurgs I buy in FL have thin foam that sinks with heavy flouro leaders. Also, didn't know the G&S casting pond has peacocks.

Anyway, those reds look awesome!
RickSawyer
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Congrats on the reds and tourney finish. I was in Houston for a quick trip over the wkd and stopped by Gordy & Sons to pick up some gurglers. I like how they are tied with thicker foam. The gurgs I buy in FL have thin foam that sinks with heavy flouro leaders. Also, didn't know the G&S casting pond has peacocks.

Anyway, those reds look awesome!
I think I promised you redfish slime next time you are in Houston with enough time for a skiff ride... GIve us a heads up next time before you come back.
elnaco
AG
I'd be up for that. My folks live in Aransas Pass so I'm no stranger to the area.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Great stuff dude. Nice to see a good turnout.

Excited to take little man tomorrow over here in Florida.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Great stuff dude. Nice to see a good turnout.

Excited to take little man tomorrow over here in Florida.
Make sure to share photos! Nothing like the grin of a boy with his proud dad after getting slime on his hands!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
A few ladyfish on the fly but this was all about little man. Plus, except for one sheltered spot the wind was howling around 30. Been like that the whole time here. Anyway, Lots of bluefish, ladies, trout, and one big ass red. A few highlights.

https://instagr.am/p/BW_VH-kgJMv
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

A few ladyfish on the fly but this was all about little man. Plus, except for one sheltered spot the wind was howling around 30. Been like that the whole time here. Anyway, Lots of bluefish, ladies, trout, and one big ass red. A few highlights.

That's good clean fatherin'!
elnaco
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Awesome work there Finn. He's going to remember moments like that for the rest of his life.

So last night, I was scrollin da 'gram looking for some inspiration for some new shrimp patterns. For the most part I was seeing pretty much the same stuff I tie with some slight variations but then I came across a bunch of patterns that some Nordic folk tie for searun trout and man do they look sweet! Basically like this

or this mcnasty

This got me thinking (dangerous, I know) why don't we see patterns like this for redfish much? I mean, those look plenty shrimpy to me and redfish like to jam on some shrimp so why don't we see more patterns like this? Destination Flies ties something similar but it definitely doesn't seem common on the gulf coast. I get it, they're a little more intricate and I'm totally with the rule of "if it takes more than 3 materials it's probably more complicated that you need for a red" but these just look like a good time. My thoughts are downsize it a bit, maybe replace some natural materials for synthetics and get rid of the eyes and I could have a pretty rad little skinny/calm water, soft landing, shrimpy redfish fly. At that point I might just have an EP shrimp but whateves. Thoughts?

I'm also getting to that point where I have far more flies in my fly box than I'll ever use and yet I want to continue tying so if anyone wants some flies fo free, I'll be offloading some soon. If anyone is interested or knows/has a kid that's getting into fly fishing let me know and we can set something up.

RickSawyer
AG
Naco,

I have the kids that love flies and a boat to pole you around on for payment.
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Rick, shoot me an email
Done!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.