Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,713 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by dr_boogs
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It isn't often somebody catches their last quiet day of fishing ever on camera.
Centerpole90
AG
Today and tomorrow left in the Golden Fly tourney, but it would take Edward Snoden to find the standings as of now. I thought maybe there would be a thread on Fl Sportsman, Microskiff, or somewhere that was monitoring the standing, but zip so far searching.

I wonder if Eyeballz is fishing.
BKClark
AG
Results of Day #1 of Fishing the 22nd "Loop" Golden Fly Invitational Tarpon Tournament:-
Leading: Ed Young w/ Capt Scott Collins:- 2 release fish, 1 weight fish 1,245 pts
Heidi Nute w/ Capt Craig Brewer:- 1 weight fish 1,241 pts
Roger Fernandez w/ Capt Tad Burke:- 1 release fish and 1 weight fish 1,034 pts
Mark Richens w/ Capt Jared Raskob:- 4 release fish
John Wilson w/ Capt Camp Walker:- 4 release fish
Paul Nute w/ Capt Joe Rodriguez:- 3 release fish
Evan Carruthers w/ Capt Greg Dini, Carlos Duncan w/ Capt Rob Fordyce, Drew Petrie w/ Capt Frank Juliano and, Steve Stabley w/ Capt Dave Denkert all with 2 release fish each
John Holt w/ Capt Jeremy Fisher, Scott Green w/ Capt Tommy Locke, Sam Kaufman w/ Capt Steve Friedman, Wilson Lnagworthy w/ Capt Mike Kozma, Adam Maris w/ capt Robert Klein and Tyler Shealey w/ Capt Steven Tejera:- All with 1 release fish each
Day's Total 28 release fish and 3 weight fish from 28 boats

Just call me Edward!
Centerpole90
AG
TexAgs. We know sh*t.

Other than Rev. Young - recognize any other Texans?
AggieGunslinger
AG
So from the results can I guess that Heidi's fish was a big one if she is only a few points behind Ed young who had one weight and 2 released?
Centerpole90
AG
Maybe they weighed her boobs too.
Kalebcs
Thanks y'all! I can't wait to show her off hanging on to a 10wt. On that note, we are in full bore planning stage. Possible wedding on the Lower Mountain Fork and honeymoon in Belize! I'll be looking for advise on lodges once we set a date.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Thanks y'all! I can't wait to show her off hanging on to a 10wt. On that note, we are in full bore planning stage. Possible wedding on the Lower Mountain Fork and honeymoon in Belize! I'll be looking for advise on lodges once we set a date.

Whoa there dude, you keep those honeymoon pics private. IYKWIM.

Plus, and be honest, it's more like a 2wt. AMIRITE?
BKClark
AG
Day Two

Results of Day # 2 Fishing the 22nd "Loop" Golden Fly Invitational Tarpon Tournament:-
Leading: Ed Young w/ Capt Scott Collins:- 4 release fish and 1 wweight fish,- two day point total 2,962
Nathaniel Linville w/ Capt John O'Hearn:- 2 weight fish,- two day point total 2,608
Roger Fernandez w/ Capt Tad Burke:- 1 release fish, 1 weight fish- two day total 2,174
Sam Kaufman w/ Capt Steve Friedman:- 3 release fish, 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,692
Ted Margo w/ Capt Drew Delashmet:- 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,244
Heidi Nute w/ Capt Craig Brewer:- no fish,- two day total 1,241
John Holt w/ Capt Jeremy Fisher:- 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,182
Rick Moeller w/ Capt Steve Thomas:- 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,159
Rand Holstead w/ Capt Brian Helms:- 1 weight fish,- 789
Tuesday's total catch:- 25 release fish,- 10 weight fish
TODAY,- things (point standings) can change radically. A few anglers have lots of release point fish and no weight fish, awaiting the last day

Looks like eyeballz is indeed fishing it
Kalebcs
Bahahaha it's all about tha camera angle! Forced perspective!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Day Two

Results of Day # 2 Fishing the 22nd "Loop" Golden Fly Invitational Tarpon Tournament:-
Leading: Ed Young w/ Capt Scott Collins:- 4 release fish and 1 wweight fish,- two day point total 2,962
Nathaniel Linville w/ Capt John O'Hearn:- 2 weight fish,- two day point total 2,608
Roger Fernandez w/ Capt Tad Burke:- 1 release fish, 1 weight fish- two day total 2,174
Sam Kaufman w/ Capt Steve Friedman:- 3 release fish, 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,692
Ted Margo w/ Capt Drew Delashmet:- 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,244
Heidi Nute w/ Capt Craig Brewer:- no fish,- two day total 1,241
John Holt w/ Capt Jeremy Fisher:- 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,182
Rick Moeller w/ Capt Steve Thomas:- 1 weight fish,- two day total 1,159
Rand Holstead w/ Capt Brian Helms:- 1 weight fish,- 789
Tuesday's total catch:- 25 release fish,- 10 weight fish
TODAY,- things (point standings) can change radically. A few anglers have lots of release point fish and no weight fish, awaiting the last day

Looks like eyeballz is indeed fishing it

Word- Teddy Eyeballz.

Nathaniel Linville is a good dude. And nice to see a guide I've fished with, thanks to your rec, running in 2nd place.
rgarza35
AG
Bones, Tarpon and Permit on a moderate budget!

Southwest flies to/from Hobby & Belize City, daily. We took a 15 minute flight from Belize City to San Pedro Town on Tropic Air. We stayed in an Air bnb for $125.00/ night. The A/C was not up to American standards, but with the windows open and insect screens, it was just fine. We ate at local places for reasonable prices, the food was always excellent. Everyone speaks English. The exchange rate is fixed at 2 to 1.

We spent 3 days in Belize on Ambergris Caye with Tres Pescados Fly Shop. Will Flack and Rojo put us on the fish, we were just not that good at casting for distance and accuracy at the same time. We waded for larger bone fish in the shallow mangroves. The soft mud is tough if you are over 200 pounds. Bones are very skittish and spook easily.

The Permit and Tarpon were seen, but in excess of 70 feet from the boat and moving fast. We had just a few seconds to make a great cast. We were unable to put it all together except for a few instances.

It was a great trip, we landed lots of Bonefish, hooked a few Permit & Tarpon. Hooked a Cobia, too! Drank too many to count Belikin Beers. A few pics below to for your pleasure.

Finn Maccumhail
AG

And...

TxAG-010
AG
Great stuff!!! I fished with Will and Rojo a couple years ago and had a great time. Caught my first tarpon with Rojo on the platform and he was just as excited as I was when we landed that fish!
Centerpole90
AG
Outstanding report! Well done!
Salt of the water
AG
So much win in here the last few days.
Kalebcs
Ohhhhh man!!!! You've got me all kinds of jacked up! Good job down there!
SaltyFly11
Just got back from my honeymoon in Placencia, southern Belize. Had a perfect shot while wading at 2 big cruising permit coming right at me. Got to about 20 feet away and just tailed off. Didn't seem interested in the fly but super cool to see them and have that kind of chance. Saw a couple more tailing but never got a shot. Had a few chances at some bonefish but they were spooky. My best chance got hung on some coral before they saw it. Bummer. Caught a barracuda and couple other small fish.

But still an awesome trip and loved the resort and area we stayed at. Let me know if you have any questions. I did a lot of research looking into it.
RickSawyer
AG
Guess who is getting the beaver wet tomo?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

Rule #1 dude.

Wait, different beaver right?

Taking the panga out the Surfside Jetties on Saturday to hunt for some jetty tuna.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:

Rule #1 dude.

Taking the panga out the Surfside Jetties on Saturday to hunt for some jetty tuna
Unfortunately yes, different Beaver. Contrary to popular thought, collapsing into the house at 7pm, stinking of body odor and fish doesn't automatically turn her on.

Surfside should be fun. Weather looking good.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Rule #1 dude.

Taking the panga out the Surfside Jetties on Saturday to hunt for some jetty tuna
Unfortunately yes, different Beaver. Contrary to popular thought, collapsing into the house at 7pm, stinking of body odor and fish doesn't automatically turn her on.

Surfside should be fun. Weather looking good.

Yeah, weather looks right. Hopefully the wind is as predicted and all the crap that's been churning in the surf is somewhat mitigated near the jetties. If not and it's flat we may run out a ways to find a color change.
RickSawyer
AG
It was a good day. More later.
Ayto Siks
...waiting...
RickSawyer
AG
Jumped back to the marsh and canvassed the areas looking for clean water but the clarrity was destroyed from recent rains. After about an hour and a half of drained and dirty marsh jumped to the shoreline and immediatly Rob (twin brother) spotted a nice slot and brought him to hand. Pushed a few more. Spotted a beautiful shhepy tailing on an oyster bed, Rob laid out about as nice a cast as you could possibly deliver, the sheepy lifted his eyes and gave a good 10 foot follow without eating then scrammed off the flat when he felt the boat. Up next? A 4 foot gar... He wouldnt eat either. Ended the day spotting a big (20+ pound) ugly blackdrum feeding in about 12-16" of water. Another few great deliveries from Rob but we just could not get that ******* to eat.

All in all, I got the boat wet, spent some much needed time with my brother, skipped work, saw fish, and got a sunburn. Thats all it takes to keep me satisfied.

Lots of life on the shoreline between ladyfish blowing up bait, stingrays lazily gliding along, gars burried in the grass, speaking of grass, some new grass greener than your yard. Super healthy.

It was a great day. Not epic, not 50 fish to hand etc... But it was a great day!
Salt of the water
AG
Good report! I like that you don't let the number of fish define your success. Being happy with spending a nice day on the water (in nature in general) with enjoyable company... That's good clean living right there.
Centerpole90
AG
Yes, this was a good report. Glad to know someone is getting it done. I'm out of the game until after the harvest and the freshwater guys have been kicking our butts lately so for the love of all that is holy - ya'll get out in the salt and post up some pics!!!
Ayto Siks
I hit the beach this morning in search of snook with my dad. Unfortunately, the water was in terrible condition. Waves, weeds, and sediment, stained the blue-green water and made sight-fishing impossible. This was a bummer bc my dad is visiting and I built up the experience of walking the beach and sight-casting. This stretch of beach is usually crystal clear, so I was very disappointed to see this murky disaster:

We decided to fish anyway. And I'm glad we did! The dirty water made presentations easier. The snook didn't scrutinize every little twitch, and even a collapsing loop didn't spook 'em. My dad caught his first snook, and I got on the board as well. This pic is from a previous trip, it was too murky for underwater shots today:

Centerpole90
AG
WINNING!!!!!
RickSawyer
AG
Looks awesome Ayto!

Rob happy to be hooked up:

Pretty fish! The were glowing against the new grass:

Taking a break between poling to cast my Marshfly Nano for first time:
Centerpole90
AG
As BKC's newest friend on snapchat I see that there's another SWFly thread regular tearing it up.
BKClark
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BGzJRx6uy1t

Seems I'm being shamed to post a photo.

Was a good day yesterday north of Port A.
9 reds and 2 trout. All on fly
gillom
AG
Thats a nice spec.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
Taking the panga out the Surfside Jetties on Saturday to hunt for some jetty tuna.

Any luck? I was at Bryan beach in the afternoon and there were birds working the edges of the Brazos brown streaks. Looked like a decent amount of bait in the green water.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
You found green water? All I saw was nasty brown stuff. I'll post pics when I get them off my phone.

Ran out the jetties at first light and it was really dirty. Choppier than expected too. If the water had been clean we'd have stayed out there but it was just a mess. No birds and no bait either.

Went back inside and made the long run up to a spot in West Bay I knew would have clean water.

I had my dad with me so I put him on the bow to fish since he sails more than fishes. Anyway, I poled him up that shoreline for about 4 hours and he missed both shots on decent fish we saw. Lots of bait but there were a lot of people out so the pushed the fish off the flats. I gotta go during the week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.