Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,709 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by dr_boogs
TxAG-010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TxAG-010
AG
Your best bet is to call Nathaniel at The Angling Company in Key West. He's a great guy, and will help you as much as anyone!
That's all I have for you until, EyeBallz shows up and helps out.
TarponChaser
texican08 said:

Paging Teddy Eyeballz...

What would my odds be at finding a decent guide for 3 days the week of March 28 - April 2nd around islamorada? Never fished the Keys before. Didn't know if I would be booking too late given the late April migratory run.
That's going to be tough but if you're fishing out of Islamorada call Florida Keys Outfitters which is Sandy Moret's shop. Nat Linville owns/runs The Angling Company in Key West.

I don't get down there like Eyeballz does but in Key West I fish with John O'Hearn. He's independent and I was referred to him by Eyeballz. John is probably booked and I've only fished with him outside of tarpon season but is a good call to make too: http://www.keywestonfly.com/keywestflyfishingguides.htm

Out of Islamorada I fish with Sandy's son Drew Moret but I booked him first through the shop. And again, I've only fished with him outside of tarpon season.
texican08
AG
I was chatting with an acquaintance and was recommended Eric Holsteadt. Don't know much about him but seemed knowledgeable and friendly when I was talking with him. Sounds like he has some availability that week.
TexasAg2017
AG
Looking at moving to a new skiff. I've enjoyed my time in the Mitzi but I've found some things that I don't like and that I'd rather have. That being said, the biggest change I'm looking at is going from a center console to either a side console or a tiller. I'd like to find a few skiffs to ride in with either configuration if anyone knows of any. I'm in rockport but I'm willing to travel if anyone is willing to let me test ride. I'm really looking at a sabine skiff but I've seen a few other brands pop up lately.
dr_boogs
AG
As a potential future skiff owner, mind if I ask what you don't like about a center console? Seems like a good central location for mass to balance the boat vs a side console, and isn't a steering wheel w console/electronics a plus over a tiller? Non boat owner here so genuinely curious.
Centerpole90
AG
You shouldn't have to travel far to find a Sabine to ride in. I don't personally know anyone who runs one down here in the lower laguna, but they sure are popular your way and north. What others are you looking at? When I think side console I think Whipray, some East Capes, Ankonas?

This fellow stopped by to help me with a sea deck project last week and he was towing this Sabine to fish the weekend. Very nice... would be tight for me and probably not enough boat to fish out of Port Mansfield regularly, but very cool micro.

https://instagr.am/p/CJUkoiTrIAs

Curious, what are you lacking with the Mitzi? A friend was asking me about them recently but I think the lack of tunnel is why we don't see any down here.
TexasAg2017
AG
My main gripe is deck space. While my console is small, it takes up a good chunk of my space with one other person in the boat. By the time they throw their backpack, my ice chest and stripping basket it starts to get a little tight. I like the openness of the side consoles and tillers.
LRHF
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

My main gripe is deck space. While my console is small, it takes up a good chunk of my space with one other person in the boat. By the time they throw their backpack, my ice chest and stripping basket it starts to get a little tight. I like the openness of the side consoles and tillers.

You can get a center console boat where the console is "offset". This gives you more room to walk around but keeps the captain more protected when running in rough water.

I fish out of an East Cape EVOx with this setup (not my boat).
TexasAg2017
AG
You pretty much named the ones I have been looking at. I've been browsing microskiff pretty regularly. I've actually been talking with Brandon! He's looking to sell this but like you said I think the micro might be a bit of a squeeze. I think the versatile is more my size/style.

As mentioned above the Mitzi is actually a great boat. A little heavy in the rear but my main gripe is storage and deck space and I think an extra foot or so would help it float a little better. It runs fairly shallow without a tunnel but a tunnel makes a world of difference around here.
texican08
AG
Let me know if you're interested in an Ankona. My buddy Capt Marcus Harralson is the local Ankona rep out of Corpus. He would be happy to show you his tiller Shadowcast or consoled Copperhead so you can get the ideas on differences.
TexasAg2017
AG
That would be awesome. I've seen a few on the market but they usually get snapped up pretty quick.
texican08
AG
Marcus Haralson
(361) 443-6993

Tell him Hunter gave you his info. He's a really nice dude and more than happy to show off his fleet. He's really passionate on Ankonas.
AgFlyGuy
AG
I'm game to come down from Houston sometime and try some new water. I've got a side console East Cape Fury. I love a side console, great for room. I've got bean bags we throw in for the kids when they come.
AgFlyGuy
AG
on the side vs center discussion, I fish out of a Fury almost 99% of the time, either mine (side w/90) or my buddies (Center w/60). A little bit of trim tab and mine runs perfectly level and the minor difference in water spray from wind is negligible. His uses very little tab, but more so from the weight difference of the motors than the side vs center layout.

As a fly fisherman mostly, the biggest issue I have with a side console is the 9' fly rods don't fit on my starboard side. I've got a few 8'4" rods that do. My conventional gear will fit on both sides.
Centerpole90
AG
texican08 said:

My buddy Capt Marcus Harralson
Great IG follow too. I guess it's his dialect and dry humor - but he seems like the kind of guy that's as much fun on the dock after a trip as he is on the water.
TexasAg2017
AG
texican08 said:

Marcus Haralson
(361) 443-6993

Tell him Hunter gave you his info. He's a really nice dude and more than happy to show off his fleet. He's really passionate on Ankonas.
I'll give him a shout! Thanks for the contact info
TexasAg2017
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

I'm game to come down from Houston sometime and try some new water. I've got a side console East Cape Fury. I love a side console, great for room. I've got bean bags we throw in for the kids when they come.

I would definitely be interested. Once the tide comes back up let's try and plan something. That looks like an awesome boat and layout. I hadn't thought about not being able to put full size fly rods on the side with the console.
texican08
AG
You got it man. I gave him a heads up you may be in contact, he's happy to help.

You're right CP. he's a pretty funny dude doesn't have a problem saying what's he's thinking, that's for sure. Real passionate on growing fly fishing on the mid coast im a sustainable way. I've learned a lot on fishing the area from him over the past few years.
texican08
AG
Well, took the Beavertail in for annual service. Was told it's time to re-power. My motor mounts are shot and it would cost $4k to rebuild. Not worth it on a 06 Evinrude Etec...

I'm looking at a Suzuki 60 or Tohatsu 60 due to weight. What say you board? Any experience or feedback on either one?
LRHF
AG
texican08 said:

Well, took the Beavertail in for annual service. Was told it's time to re-power. My motor mounts are shot and it would cost $4k to rebuild. Not worth it on a 06 Evinrude Etec...

I'm looking at a Suzuki 60 or Tohatsu 60 due to weight. What say you board? Any experience or feedback on either one?

How much weight are you saving to not have a Yamaha?
TarponChaser
Tohatsu short-shaft. Hands down. Best 60 on the market. Weighs like 215# and is practically bulletproof.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Eh, I'm not a fan. To each his own but I'd prefer the Zuke. Tohatsu has worked out a lot of their issues from previous years but I'd pass.

To throw another option, the Merc60R has been pretty impressive on a friends boat. I'd be looking between those two if I had to repower.
texican08
AG
~40 lbs. My boat mechanic is a former Yamaha shop manager. He's normally only recommending Yahama. He seems cross with them right now re: warranty. I figure that, combined with weight and cost savings is worth listening to him on that.
texican08
AG
Also if anyone is running an Evinrude 60 I'll have a hell of a deal on a basically new Jack Foreman prop soon...
RickSawyer
AG
I have a low hour 60 Zuki on my Gordon Waterman that I have considered selling (like less than 50 hrs but no warranty left). Keep in mind.
Duncan Idaho
If you are in the market for a new reel, sierra trading post has a bunch of lamsons for 30-50% off
CEPhD
AG
Speaking of Tohatsu, have y'all noticed the new MFS 75-115 announced late summer? They appear to bring a lot of the appeal of the MFS 60 to the 115hp class/size.
texican08
AG
TarponChaser,

I know you've fished with John O'Hearn before. It looks like he's on the next Millhouse Podcast coming out on 2/1.
TarponChaser
texican08 said:

TarponChaser,

I know you've fished with John O'Hearn before. It looks like he's on the next Millhouse Podcast coming out on 2/1.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely listen. John is a really good dude and a helluva guide.
LRHF
AG
Now that we are slowly recovering from the arctic blast and taking care of our families and friends starting to think about the impact on nature.

For the guys that live on the coast, what have you seen or heard? The podcast below discusses the freeze, curious to gather intel from this group.

Really bummed for the impact this will have on the fish, guides, lodges and communities.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bite-me-a-texas-saltwater-fishing-podcast/id1439317023?i=1000509598869
Mark Fairchild
AG
Rockport Checking In: Dolphins having a field day eating stunned fish. Lots of stunned/dead in all the canals at Key Allergo. Will take some time prior to fishing being good. Not many reports from locals, have had no power for 60+ hrs and no one is going out in this!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Al Bula
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I enjoyed it tremendously. Ayto and I had a discussion earlier this summer about it and if it was going to be a slob job on record setters who run big fish on light tackle to stab a gaff in in them. The book is in fact about the pursuit of record tarpon - but in doing so it pieces together all the characters from the early days of tarpon fishing.

I had listened to Mill House with Tom Evans and they do talk about his split with Huff, how he came to fish with Butler and Diporak - but the book provides so much more granular detail about ALL those relationships, Rocquetta, and little stuff like the history of this well known photo:

After reading it I went back and re-listened to all the early Mill House podcasts to pick up on details that flew right by me the first time.

The real treats though were the periphery stories about the guys like Jim Harrison, Thomas McGuane, and how the movie TARPON was made, unappreciated, lost, recovered, before it eventually made it's way into public release. Did I mention parts about how the Cuban mafia figured into tarpon fishing and Abel reels?? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

fantastic book! Great recommendation for anyone that loves fishing
Newoldarmy
AG
What do you guys use to clean your rods? The actual blank itself?
texican08
AG
Fresh water and sunlight to dry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.