Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,388 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Centerpole90 said:

You do that from Hopedale? I have fished from there, guided, out toward Christmas Camp Lake and Treasure Bay. But not back NE toward the wildlife management area. I've always wanted to just hook up to the skiff and strike out for it on DIY, but never found the time or adventurous soul to do it with.

Yes, we stay on Delacroix and trailer to Hopedale. Definitely a worthy adventure!
LRHF
AG
Working on my next skiff invite! Have the JT Van Zandt podcast with Flip on the background. Might be time to sip some good bourbon!
LRHF
AG
Tying these poppers for big bulls in LA. Any suggestions or modifications you recommend? Thinking about one with a deer hair collar for better rear flotation and a bigger splash when cast.
AgFlyGuy
AG
I've got some with a strip of rabbit behind the popper that I like to use for Reds in West Bay
Centerpole90
AG
LRHF said:

Working on my next skiff invite! Have the JT Van Zandt podcast with Flip on the background.
Do you listen to Mill House podcast with Andy Mill? Some great interviews, heavily tarpon weighted, but includes most all the South Florida characters. The recent 'Lords of the Fly' book by Burke is a great companion to listening to Andy's podcast.
LRHF
AG
Centerpole90 said:

LRHF said:

Working on my next skiff invite! Have the JT Van Zandt podcast with Flip on the background.
Do you listen to Mill House podcast with Andy Mill? Some great interviews, heavily tarpon weighted, but includes most all the South Florida characters. The recent 'Lords of the Fly' book by Burke is a great companion to listening to Andy's podcast.

Absolutely, just about caught up on Mill House! Thanks for the book recommendation.
Centerpole90
AG
I enjoyed it tremendously. Ayto and I had a discussion earlier this summer about it and if it was going to be a slob job on record setters who run big fish on light tackle to stab a gaff in in them. The book is in fact about the pursuit of record tarpon - but in doing so it pieces together all the characters from the early days of tarpon fishing.

I had listened to Mill House with Tom Evans and they do talk about his split with Huff, how he came to fish with Butler and Diporak - but the book provides so much more granular detail about ALL those relationships, Rocquetta, and little stuff like the history of this well known photo:

After reading it I went back and re-listened to all the early Mill House podcasts to pick up on details that flew right by me the first time.

The real treats though were the periphery stories about the guys like Jim Harrison, Thomas McGuane, and how the movie TARPON was made, unappreciated, lost, recovered, before it eventually made it's way into public release. Did I mention parts about how the Cuban mafia figured into tarpon fishing and Abel reels?? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Mr. Frodo
AG
LRHF ... you look like a fly wizard

just gonna throw this out there as an idea

I've had some success with these foam poppers on bass. lots of mass, pop and not a lot to wt.

https://flymenfishingcompany.com/collections/surface-seducer-foam-tying-materials

LRHF
AG
Appreciate the feedback on the book, will order soon!

Great idea on the popper, just tied one up. I've only got the medium size heads, will pick up the large heads and try again tomorrow. This fly has a slight twist and is articulated to make a little bigger and provide some more action. Can't wait to try it!
Ayto Siks
I should have bought that book when it was available. Now I can't find it anywhere... I should know to trust Centerpole's takes by now. He also got me to read The Feather Thief which is fly fishing adjacent.

The Mill House podcasts are outstanding. Stu Apte's "who do you think you are?" story, and Steve Huff talking about his last trip with Del Brown are treasures. The podcasts have genuine insight and provide access to legendary people and times. My favorite so far is the episode with Chico.

Speaking of... here's some recent (and some not so recent) shots from fishing the side of the road along US 41. A place that a lot of the old timers fished, and and a place that comes up in a couple of podcast segments.

The Trail:

Great training for close combat in the Everglades, and those emergency chip shots on the bow:

Sunrise rollers:

What it's all about:
Centerpole90
AG
Ayto Siks said:

He also got me to read The Feather Thief which is fly fishing adjacent.

i. The matter of who's idea it was to read this book is up for debate. Click here for more details about who ORIGINALLY suggested it. /factcheck
Salt of the water
AG
An oft discussed thing on this thread finally happened this fall.

There were forum friends, feasts of food, flats-skiffs, and feisty fish.

Duncan Idaho
Centerpole90 said:

Ayto Siks said:

He also got me to read The Feather Thief which is fly fishing adjacent.

i. The matter of who's idea it was to read this book is up for debate. Click here for more details about who ORIGINALLY suggested it. /factcheck

Pretty sure A Texags user has optioned the movie rights for his production company
Centerpole90
AG
Amigo, you listed all those things, but only posted pictures of one of them.

A lot went into the 12th Annual Port Mansfield Invitational held @ East Matagorda... serious planning and scheming... I know I did some of it when I should have been paying attention to more important things. Good thing there was room for sermon notes in the program.

The Almighty was completely onboard though. He provided some spectacular weather and conditions - even if it was a variety of them over the course of the trip.

Friday afternoon traffic jam.

It got cold and everyone on LanchaSancha bundled up -

Obligatory "Can't park there, Bud." All kidding aside, water was so high, if you didn't like the creek you were in - just bail out and shove your ride right over the grass into the one you wanted to be in.

We paid homage to the 956 ese...

Dinner prep required all the precision of a well tied fly.

Errything is better with a Modelo.

Yes. It was that good.

and the fish were there too...

12\10. Would do Again.

LRHF
AG
Picked up a copy of "Lords of the Fly" from Bayou City Anger!

Looks like we may be heading to Grand Bahama later in December for some tomfoolery and such. Anybody fish here? Going to tie up some Gotchas, Crazy Charlie's and Mantis Shrimp flies over the Holiday weekend in addition to some leaders.
Mr. Frodo
AG

Lead eyes bead eyes and a few different hook sizes.

Maybe some clousers.

Crabs.
Centerpole90
AG
Never Grand Bahama. Abaco and Nassau in the past. Would really like to go to Andros.
LRHF
AG
Biloxi Marsh TR-

Just got back from a great trip to the Biloxi Marsh. We had great conditions and willing fish. Fished all day Saturday and half day Sunday. No Bulls but lots of 22-29" reds sight casting. We loaded the boat both days!

We did run out the edge of the gulf looking for bigger fish but didn't find any. Tons of porpoise, blue crabs and redfish

LRHF
AG
Biloxi Marsh TR (Again!!!)

Fishing partner managed to swap some work days and we headed out Tuesday evening from Houston to Delacroix. After a short few hours of sleep, we were up and prepping for a windless sunny day in the Marsh!

We rolled up to a big mud flat and crushed 23-28" redfish. After fishing out one flat, the next one was equally productive. We found fish tailing, fins out and lots with backs out in the shallowest water... it was nonstop action and we finished our assault on the small fish by 10:20 am!

Cruised around the rest of the day looking for bulls and intermittent small fish action. Had a few shots on big fish and had some follow but couldn't get tight on any of them. Had a 40" plus fish follow my fly then slowly turn off and leave. Fished until almost dark then back to the dock to clean fish, drink beer (and a little angostura rum) and eat some pork chops.

Thursday morning brought some cloud cover (somewhat cleared up in the afternoon at times). The small fish weren't as active and all fish tough to see without the sun and still morning.

The afternoon provided some better light and we finally pushed into a large swamp donkey in the afternoon! He was layed up and it took a cast pulled 1" in front of his face before he slurped it. What a beast! After some pictures, we moved to some deeper water in the edge of the gulf and poles the shorelines looking forward big redfish. Caught a big fish crushing the bank and partner made 2 casts with the fish following the 2nd for about 10' without coming tight.

We managed a 2nd black drum and what a fish he was, good fight (unlike mine). Finding some large fish but not seeing as many bulls as hoped for. Been too warm to this point?

LRHF
AG
Merry Christmas SW Fly Fisherman of the OB. Check out the adventures of the "Skiff Wanderer" as they travel to LA to catch redfish. A fun watch if you find yourself with some extra time this week! There are 5 segments.

dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the post. Will definitely check this out. If any of you guys need a second mate for chasing reds, let me know. I've come down w the affliction and can't get enough! Will gladly cover fuel, drinks, and food for a chance to wet a fly w you guys. Have been fishing Seadrift/POC lately. Merry Christmas fellas!
dr_boogs
AG
dr_boogs said:

Thanks for the post. Will definitely check this out. If any of you guys need a second boat hand for chasing reds, let me know. I've come down w the affliction and can't get enough! Will gladly cover fuel, drinks, and food for a chance to wet a fly w you guys. Have been fishing Seadrift/POC lately. Merry Christmas fellas!

Edited to add - sorry for the self quote. No idea what happened there.
LRHF
AG
We are at it again, super last minute run to Louisiana! Nothing but stars out tonight, minimal wind tomorrow... hoping for some big bulls!

Fishing partner flew in from NC this afternoon and we drove back to Houston from central Texas Christmas with the family.

Not a "live" thread but will try to update tomorrow evening!

This picture is to note where to buy ethanol free gasoline!
LRHF
AG
LRHF said:

We are at it again, super last minute run to Louisiana! Nothing but stars out tonight, minimal wind tomorrow... hoping for some big bulls!

Fishing partner flew in from NC this afternoon and we drove back to Houston from central Texas Christmas with the family.

Not a "live" thread but will try to update tomorrow evening!

Tide is out, no rush this am. Pick up a mid morning snack (breakfast sandwich)

Lots of small fish today (23-29"). Spotted a couple bigger but didn't catch and no large bulls today. Cleaned some fish, cooking dinner and thinking about where to head in the morning. Came across a brush fire in the way back to Hopedale.

Centerpole90
AG
/taking notes
Ayto Siks
Looking forward to the report and pics.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Howdy from Rockport! Right now the tide is at an all time LOW, beyond LOW! You could walk across the Shrimp Boat Channel to Lighthouse Lakes, but there is no water in the lakes, that LOW!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TexasAg2017
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Howdy from Rockport! Right now the tide is at an all time LOW, beyond LOW! You could walk across the Shrimp Boat Channel to Lighthouse Lakes, but there is no water in the lakes, that LOW!

You aren't kidding. I live in Holiday Beach and it was almost impossible to launch a boat in the canal. Everything was low low. Found a bunch of new reefs and channels to check out though!
LRHF
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

You aren't kidding. I live in Holiday Beach and it was almost impossible to launch a boat in the canal. Everything was low low. Found a bunch of new reefs and channels to check out though!

Crazy low this morning in the Biloxi Marsh! Might sleep in a bit and wait on the water!
LRHF
AG
Day 2- Biloxi Marsh

A quick update. We had a big day!!! Spent the day looking for big fish and found some. Caught 2 red fish at 39" and a nice black drum. Weather was amazingly good for the 2nd day in a row. Could have easily run to the Chandeliers!

Water quality at the gulf was phenomenal. We found a bunch of bulls in 2-7' of water with a high sun and calm water. Pitched a fly (bad setup) at a fish that was every bit of 50". Fish were slow to eat and a bit skittish but finally out a couple on the boat!

Fishing the am then making the long trek back to Houston.

AgFlyGuy
AG
Hell yeah, that's an awesome time. We're taking the skiff to Cocodrie in 2-3 weeks, hoping we get as good of weather.
LRHF
AG
Biloxi Marsh- Day 3

Sun was out but the Wind picked up. No fish to the boat for the half day before driving home.

Did see the handy work of this "Qualified Captain"! We saw this on our way out in the morning. We returned no later than 11:30 and it was already gone. The tide was still super low, maybe a tug boat was used to pull out?
Centerpole90
AG
Headed to Coco tomorrow. Looks like the WX will be against me; breezy fri, cloudy sat - but will make the most of it. Will report.....
LRHF
AG
Fishing partner called last night and asked if I had seen the weekend weather near Hopedale... "Yes, yes I have. Been waiting on your phone call!"

Off we go again. Plenty of sun, some wind out of the North and cool weather.

UPDATES
Day 1-Today was a beating! Some dirty water, more wind than expected etc. found some good water but never found any big fish. Heading for the interior of the Marsh tomorrow just to try something different. Not seeing much in terms of natural bait. Word on the street is that fishing has been poor for at least a week...

Day 2- more clouds and wind than originally forecast. Our favorite mudflats for small fish were dry. Spent our time poling for big reds but didn't find any. Enjoyed a really nice soaking rain in the ride back. Tough weekend in the cold weather!

texican08
AG
Paging Teddy Eyeballz...

What would my odds be at finding a decent guide for 3 days the week of March 28 - April 2nd around islamorada? Never fished the Keys before. Didn't know if I would be booking too late given the late April migratory run.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.