Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,414 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rather be fishing said:

Centerpole90 said:

SoW is like that little devil that sits on your shoulder and says 'do it' - he's a craigslist magician.

I got am email with that link on like Wednesday. Wife would definitely not approve.

What? Will she divorce you? You can always sleep in the skiff.
Newoldarmy
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

rather be fishing said:

Centerpole90 said:

SoW is like that little devil that sits on your shoulder and says 'do it' - he's a craigslist magician.

I got am email with that link on like Wednesday. Wife would definitely not approve.

Skiffs don't even complain if you come home with a little "oyster rash."
elnaco
AG
I'll apologize in advance for the length and this not being a saltwater post, but I figured some of you guys might enjoy it.

Saturday was the second annual Holy Carp! fly fishing tournament in Houston. As the name implies, it is in fact a tournament in which the main target is the pretentious and dastardly carp species lurking in H-Tine's various urban tailwaters. Fly fishermen (and women) showed up from all over Houston, the hill country and DFW to dodge trash, vagrants and toxic waters and test their mettle against the sewage fueled bayou brutes. $25 got you a ticket to the Thunderdome, a t-shirt, and beer at weigh-in. I had some free time and some cash to spare, plus I'm up to date on my tetanus shots so I figured why not?

My game plan was simple; stay away from the main bayous where I figured most competitors would fish and find a spot off the beaten path. The morning before the tournament, I took a walk down by a local flood containment canal before work. Not too long into my walk, I found a pristine mud flat covered with tailing fish. It was still early so it was tough to see but from what I could tell, this flat was covered in big common carp. For those not in the know with carp, of the carp species, common carp are generally the easiest to catch (easy being used in the relative sense) so to say the least, I was excited.

Fast forward to the morning of the tournament. After a strong cup of french pressed coffee, a couple of kolaches (koblasnek for the Czechs who will get offended) and a good pre-game dump, I headed off to my spot. Just like the day before, I found my mud flat with big broad tails breaking the surface of the pristine flood waters, waiving with the grace of a Michelangelo brush stroke painting a picture of excitement in my soul. Stealthily, I crouched down and casted my 5wt landing the fly just in front of a cruising fish. He ignores it, but doesn't spook. As he moves past my fly I pick it up and re-cast. Once again, he ignores it. Now this is a fairly common occurrence when common carp fishing (<---see what I did there) so I repeat. This time I make a bad cast and the fly lands right on the fishes head. Normally, this would spook a common carp, but this fish carries on as if nothing happened. This is quite peculiar, but I endeavor to persevere. This scenario plays itself out on numerous fish throughout the morning. It's was the first time I literally tied on every fly pattern in my box to try and find something they'd eat and nothing. The wheels start turning in my head and as the sun peaks through the cloud cover I'm able to get a really good look at the fish and my fears were confirmed. Son of a buffalo these aren't common carp, they're small mouth buffalo! Up to this point in my fishing career, I'd never come across a smallmouth buffalo. It was just a mythical fly snubbing creature that's rumored to turn their nose up at flies faster than a Hells Bay owner at a busy boat ramp (no offense Rick). So to say that I was dejected is an understatement. To throw some salt on the wound, at this point I had buried a hook in my finger when I was walking and stepped on my leader whilst holding my fly. It was also hotter than two rats screwing in a wool sock in August and the sole fell off my left hiking boot. It wasn't even lunch time and I wanted to throw in the towel, go home and drown my defeat with Popa Dobles. I was at a real crossroads. Take the easy aforementioned route and get day drunk or pull myself up by the boot straps (those were still intact) and show these bayou snobs that my father only raises men. As tempting as option 1 was, I was already in the proverbial shizzz and I was pretty angry at these fish so I decided to stick it out. To hell if I didn't make it to weigh-in, this was between me and the buff. Right about the time of this decision, dark clouds roll in and a cooling rejuvenating rain began to fall.

With new motivation I went back to square one. I tied on my favorite carp fly and decided maybe it's not the fly, but the presentation. For the next half hour or so I tried new things, I got weird and most importantly I got a freaking eat! Sorry for the blurry pic, I haven't found a good setting for my early 2000s point and shoot on a timer. Not sorry for the gratuitous man thigh.

23 3/4" of stanky glory

With my new found knowledge, I continue on and follow it up with another 25 1/2" fish

If it happens once, chalk it up to luck but since it happened twice I'm thinking "Hallelujah! I've cracked the buffalo cipher!" but more than likely I think the little 10 minute sprinkling of rain just turned them on. Either way I followed that fish up with a 23 1/4" fish

Then his twin 23 1/4" brother. Although looking back at this pic now I kind of mashed his sucker up against the check it stick. I might have been able to get another 1/2 inch or so out of him.

I hooked another fish right next to a bridge piling that promptly wrapped me around said bridge piling and broke me off and also missed a few other fish along the way. At any rate, I landed my last fish around 14:40 and as much as I hate to admit it, my forearm started cramping up bad. I had pounded all of my water by around 11:00 and I knew I was suffering some effect of the dehydration. So using my best judgement and the fact that I didn't want to beg some joggers and bikers for water I decided to throw in the towel and call it a day. I was sitting at just under 100" total and the previous year's winner took it with around 70" so I figured I was in good shape. After a thorough hand washing at a gas station, a couple gatorades and a whataburger (eaten only touching the wrapper) I headed to weigh-in. I ended up with a 95.25" total and was sitting pretty but the last guy to weigh-in was a guide out of the hill country and he took the cake with a total of 121.5". I probably could've fished for another hour and a half and still made weigh-in and part of me wishes I would've, but I was more than happy to take 2nd. Heck I was just glad to have gotten the best of the buff that day, tournament aside.

Overall, it was a great tournament. Danny Scarborough (Houston Fly Fishing) did a great job of organizing the the event and sponsors and Bayou City Angler was more than generous to host the event. I've fished quite a few tournaments in my day and I'd rank this one as probably the best value out of all of them. The prizes from the sponsors were crazy for such a cheap entry fee. On top of that I got to meet some really rad peeps at the weigh-in and awards. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who fly fishes and isn't against having fun.

As an aside, I know there's a lot of hype about Gordy and Sons opening and I know they're going to be an awesome shop, but please continue to support Bayou City Angler. They're the only fly fishing specific shop in Houston and Stacy does so much to support the local fly fishing community.

TL;DR Slayed buffs, got second place.
TxAG-010
AG
Great write up! Looks like you had a hell of day.
BKClark
AG
Clean
Finn Maccumhail
Jrod05
RickSawyer
AG
Quote:

It was just a mythical fly snubbing creature that's rumored to turn their nose up at flies faster than a Hells Bay owner at a busy boat ramp (no offense Rick).

Yeah... well... yes. You're right. I hate crowds.

Awesome report. Great job with the buffs!
Jrod05
AG
Any guide recs around Watercolor, Florida?

Be just me in the boat need a guide friendly with novice fly angler.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Check out Shallow Water Expeditions. They run a stable of guides. Jason Stacy is good and doesn't seem to be covered up with tarpon trips at the moment- he's catching ling, jacks, smacks, and big reds off the beach. Occasional pompano too.
rgarza35
AG
Gordy & Sons Slot Red Fly Rod Only Tournament

elnaco
AG
Are any of y'all interested or know anyone who may be interested in a new w/ tags Fishpond Sagebrush mesh vest?

It retails for $130, I'm hoping to get $100 for it. Seems like a great vest and Fishpond makes quality products, I just have zero use for it.
rather be fishing
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

rather be fishing said:

Centerpole90 said:

Can I keep the skiff in your garage and do you offer health insurance?
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

rather be fishing said:

Centerpole90 said:

Yes, maybe.
rather be fishing
AG
RickSawyer said:

rather be fishing said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

rather be fishing said:

Centerpole90 said:

Yes, maybe.

You offer 401k and the wife can deal with whatever I say.
K Bo
AG
Pretty solid day with Baron Boyette yesterday. It was pretty windy but we were able to get 4 to the boat, had another 2 break off, and had a friendly encounter with a little gator. My buddy caught his first red on the fly @ 29" ... too shabby.

elnaco
Centerpole90
rgarza35
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Catch that little gator so I can put him in the neighborhood ponds and thin out our duck population.

One of the crazy neighborhood animal lover ladies has been bringing in more ducks because she's "rescuing them." She's certifiable.

Oh, and nice pics @K Bo
RickSawyer
AG
Rob and I had a friendly wager with KBo and David... - most fish to the boat. Baron ran David and Kevin to the marsh first and to stay out of his way we shot out to the shoreline to look for fish on the grass flats. Within 5 minutes Rob tricked a rat into a lip piercing on a nice chip shot cast. I figured we were in for a hell of a day. After that we were followed up with increased winds and sandy conditions. We did see fish but they were super fickle. Two pods of 3-5 fish tailing then mostly cruising singles and doubles but we were getting spooked on 50' false casts. It was like the shoreline redfish took a page out of Sheepsheads' playbook. Halfway through the day, we considered jumping back to a marsh but called the boys and they told us that they saw a few singles but were empty handed.

Figuring we were at least seeing better numbers on the spooked shoreline we decided to slug it out with the howling wind. Ended up blanked to end the day but had some fun chasing sheepies on the shell towards the cut. Called it a day and when we are pulling the waterman out of the water those photos start popping up on our phones. Sonsabishes.

Well played Kevin, David and Baron. *******s.
K Bo
AG
We tried to catch him but he didn't want to play. Baron tried to talk me in to wrestling him but was unsuccessful. What I wanted to do was bring him to the boat then buzz Rick and Rob and throw the gator in their boat.
Ayto Siks
Great pics. Really need to upgrade my fishing and photography game.
reddog90
AG
Hey where did you see that gator? I'm not trying to steal fishing spots, just wondering for dog safety while duck hunting. I have been told they can be anywhere in our bay system but they are usually closer inland or in fresher water. I've yet to see one in salt water but I haven't been way back in greens after lots of rain for example.
reddog90
AG
Also is anyone going to Gordy today to see some Spear skiffs?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Strong work gents.
cheezag03
AG
reddog90 said:

Hey where did you see that gator? I'm not trying to steal fishing spots, just wondering for dog safety while duck hunting. I have been told they can be anywhere in our bay system but they are usually closer inland or in fresher water. I've yet to see one in salt water but I haven't been way back in greens after lots of rain for example.
With that clear of water it has to be south of the big spoils on a N wind
RickSawyer
AG
cheezag03 said:

reddog90 said:

With that clear of water it has to be south of the big spoils on a N wind

Ironically enough, KBo correct me if I am wrong, but that was close to Alligator Point on the bay side.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I see water clear on the south shoreline in the park all the time. And further west over the grass beds.

I started saltwater fishing West Bay on a regular basis in 2003 when I moved to Houston from D.C. and Mrs. Finn's mother's family are BOI- most are still there and I fished with her uncles. The improvement in water quality in West Bay over the past 14 years has been astounding.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

The improvement in water quality in West Bay over the past 14 years has been astounding.

Agreed!
K Bo
AG
Sorry, meant to answer back sooner. Yeah, this was down near Alligator Point.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
And in my observations it's mostly been post-Ike too
Ragoo
AG
RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

The improvement in water quality in West Bay over the past 14 years has been astounding.

Agreed!
wonder why
AggieGunslinger
AG
My wife is a BOI and her parents still live on the island I agree that the change in the last 15 has been very noticeable. My wife will tell you that when she was growing up there were occasions when the water would be that clear but they are much more frequent now than they were 20 and 30 years ago.
Salt of the water
AG
I pretty much figure anything inland of the ICW has gators. They'll be further into the bays on wet years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.