Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,640 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by dr_boogs
NW80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Tarponfly and I just re-propped my Glide and its making 26 kts.
But. I really like your Backcountry reel. I've got one on a one piece Loomis 7wt. It's my saltwater "flea-rod!"
RickSawyer
AG
NW80 said:

Tarponfly and I just re-propped my Glide and its making 26 kts.
But. I really like your Backcountry reel. I've got one on a one piece Loomis 7wt. It's my saltwater "flea-rod!"

Without a doubt one of my favorite reels here on the upper coast. I have it on a G-Loomis 8'6" Shorestalker 7wt with Rio Summer Red 6 and its got the perfect balance for the feel I like. Those backcountry's are a classic for a reason... they just work and you won't break the bank.
texican08
AG
Awesome pics Rick, I knew I should have played hooky from work! I think I'm going to explore Christmas Bay tomorrow with the wind shift.
RickSawyer
AG
texican08 said:

Awesome pics Rick, I knew I should have played hooky from work! I think I'm going to explore Christmas Bay tomorrow with the wind shift.

Here's the good news, this is just the beginning of spring!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

texican08 said:

Truth.

Salt of the Water and I did a little feather flinging today.

https://instagr.am/p/BSmVMS4A1oQ
Salt of the water
AG
K Bo said:

We had a pretty amazing day yesterday. In my ~2y of fishing I never seen anything like what we saw yesterday: at least 100 tailing reds in some super skinny water.

The reds Finn and I saw today were shallow too (most of them too shallow for the panga). Gotta love those hard North wind low tides.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

RickSawyer said:

texican08 said:

Truth.

Finn,

What fly is that?
FBG_Ag78
AG
Who do y'all recommend for guiding around Galveston?
Thanks!
RickSawyer
AG
FBGAg78 said:

Thanks!

I recommend Baron Boyette. Full disclosure he is a friend of mine but he has guided me multiple times and does a fantastic job for both the beginner and expert.

http://www.3bflycharters.com
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

RickSawyer said:

texican08 said:

Truth.

Finn,

What fly is that?

Hot pink spoon fly. Have to look again to see which one specifically. I think it's one of those East Cut spoon flies.

I had a tan gurgler on but with the water like Yoo-hoo I wanted something with a lot of flash that would push a lot of water.
elnaco
AG
K Bo said:

We had a pretty amazing day yesterday. In my ~2y of fishing I never seen anything like what we saw yesterday: at least 100 tailing reds in some super skinny water. I'll let Rick go in to more detail (cause he's really good at that), but I'll share some of my favorite pictures:

Well done fellas, looks like a heck of a day.

The tide looks crazy low for that area. I guess that north wind just blew a bunch of water out.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Thanks Rick. Spoke to Baron but he will be in Cuba. He suggested Jeremy Chavez but Jeremy is booked. Any other suggestions?
RickSawyer
AG
FBGAg78 said:

Thanks Rick. Spoke to Baron but he will be in Cuba. He suggested Jeremy Chavez but Jeremy is booked. Any other suggestions?

What dates? ****, I can just take ya out for fun...
FBG_Ag78
AG
Friday, June 3rd
RickSawyer
AG
FBGAg78 said:

Friday, June 3rd

Dang I will be in Alabama with my family but I have another very interesting option for you. Let me check a few things and I will respond. Still a work in progress but think you will enjoy this one.
rather be fishing
AG
Looks like we're going to Destin in June. Any guide recommendations in that area?
Ragoo
AG
RickSawyer said:

FBGAg78 said:

Thanks!

I recommend Baron Boyette. Full disclosure he is a friend of mine but he has guided me multiple times and does a fantastic job for both the beginner and expert.

http://www.3bflycharters.com
dished with baron last year. A half day charter turned into all day trying to get st least one fish. He even gace me a bit of a refund.
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

Looks like we're going to Destin in June. Any guide recommendations in that area?
Rather,

I dont know Tom Campbell personally but I have heard he is a great guide.

http://www.destiny-unbound.com/
rather be fishing
Finn Maccumhail
AG
rather be fishing said:

I always recommend Shallow Water Expeditions: http://www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com/

I've tarpon fished with Preston Sutter for a number of years but am having to switch since he got out of guiding. He's a young dude, only like 34, and has 2 little girls- a 4-year old and a 7-month old. He lives near Destin but would post up in Appalachicola or Port St. Joe during tarpon season so he'd only see his family once or twice in a 3-4 month span. Then he'd be home for a month or two and be gone to Louisiana for a couple more months. Just a tough way to be a dad.

Anyway, he recommended a couple guys so I'm fishing with Travis Huckeba this year. He's been guiding for 16 years and was also a Florida Game Warden previously.
Salt of the water
AG

Scoped out some flats on the golf cart. DIY in the morning.
texican08
AG
El Pescador?
Centerpole90
AG
It's like I was there.
rather be fishing
AG
FYI - classifieds crosspost

selling a Dyna King Barracuda Junior and a Griffin Odyssey
texican08
AG
On a related note to vises, I decided to give my hand at tying.

I've settled on a vise and tool kit. Any recommended website to purchase material? I'm wanting to start off slow and focus on a couple of simple flies to tie like a deceiver & crack fly.
RickSawyer
AG
texican08 said:

On a related note to vises, I decided to give my hand at tying.

I've settled on a vise and tool kit. Any recommended website to purchase material? I'm wanting to start off slow and focus on a couple of simple flies to tie like a deceiver & crack fly.

Where are you located? I know if good shops for material in Houston, Dallas and Austin.
texican08
AG
I'm in Houston. I went by Bayou City on Sunday and they referred me to FTU. I'm going to swing by there this week but figured having a list of bare necessities would be good.
reddog90
AG
FBGAg78 said:

Thanks!
Steve Soule
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

FBGAg78 said:

Thanks!
Steve Soule

Yup. Steve is a good dude.

In the Galveston area the fly guides are:
- Jarid Malone
- Baron Boyette
- Jeremy Chavez
- Steve Soule
- Steve Robinson

There might be a couple other guys who offer fly trips but now that Scott Null has moved to POC full time and is quasi-retired from guiding those 5 are your best bets IMHO.
Salt of the water
AG
TLDR: saw bones with tails and fins out of the water. Had one good shot, and blew it.

Staying at a regular resort on the south end of San Pedro. Reef fished with the wife yesterday, she had a blast putting the hurt on snapper (ceviche is cooking in the fridge) . I threw the fly some but only got one bump, the guy took me to blind cast some bonefish muds but no luck. Have a flats trip booked for Thursday but trying to get a DIY bone before that.

Tried wading the most promising looking spot that I scouted. There's an old abandoned boat ramp that makes for an easy walk in. Nice ankle deep flat about 200 yards off the shore to the right. Got in the water at about 7 and started easing my way to the flat. About 30 yards from the shoreline... Knee deep mud in waist deep water. The white sand bottom is deceiving. I figured it'd be hard packed, but nope. Just as bad as upper coast marsh.

Got back to the cart and went with plan B, fished some coves and docks on the reef side of the island. Found a couple that were calm enough for decent visibility but no fish.

Packed up and started heading back, when I decided to try going left at spot number 1. The bottom looked a little different so I thought I may as well go back and give it a try.

Got out if the cart and went through the mangroves to go left. Saw pointy fins and tails out of the water way down the shoreline! Eased into the water and started working down the shoreline. A little soft but I wasn't sinking any deeper than the tops of my feet, so I started getting hopeful. Worked down to where I saw the fish and didn't see anything. Turned around and there was a bone fining back where I came in at. Waded back that way and still no fish. Figured I wasn't going to be able to keep up with the fish on foot, so I posted up near a mangrove to disguise me a bit. I waited, and waited, and waited.

After maybe 20 minutes (felt like an hour), I spotted two bones cruising in 6 inches of water coming right down the shore towards me. Fins and tails occasionally breaking the surface.

I start my cast and it's a little more left than I want so I adjust and work it right so it'll land a few feet ahead of them. Let it fly... and my not so tight loop catches some wind and lands back to my left. Right on top of the lead fish.

The lead fish blows out and the second one makes a big loop over some sand bottom. It looks like he's headed back to shore but I loose him in some grass beds. Wait another 20 minutes but no more activity.

Back at the resort now to do the tourist thing with the wife. 2nd attempt at bones tomorrow morning
RickSawyer
AG
texican08
AG
Damnnnnnn
DV04
reddog90
AG
Saw that on IG, nice toy!

What year hull and motor? SC or CC? Find it in TX?
RickSawyer
AG
reddog90 said:

Saw that on IG, nice toy!

What year hull and motor? SC or CC? Find it in TX?
2007 so its a 'Gordon' waterman. Side consol. Found in Texas very quietly. Was never advertised. Can't really go into how I got the lead but it was a no brainer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.