Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,663 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dr_boogs
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you come all the way south to SPI Capt. Eric Glass runs an older model HPXt. You will find that the T models (tunnel) handle differently than the regular HPX. They are also not as common. I think outside of the lower Laguna they are harder to find. Eric is in his off-season right now and I saw the boat this week in the shop getting a new poling platform built.

Capt. Eric Knippling runs an HPXs out of Rockport. He brought it down and fished out of Mansfield with it back in October. Nice boat.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Boyette is a good kid even if he did go to LSU. that's a new sled for him, he was running a Mitzi.
Salt of the water
AG
Nice fish. Glad someone got out there!
RickSawyer
AG
29*Nola is out and has me counting down the hours until Feb 8th for Grand Isle! https://vimeo.com/152710432
Centerpole90
AG

quote:
4"-5" fish most people call 'bait'.

RickSawyer
AG
I can actually appreciate that closed mind point of view. Keeps my local waters sLightly less congested. Leaves all the 5" rats for just me!
Centerpole90
AG
29*? Not today...

https://instagr.am/p/BA6_cPFDVVK
Centerpole90
AG
This got me to thinking - Any of you guys set up for dry launching? BKC? Is your trailer a Ramlin?

https://instagr.am/p/BBBReKXDosJ

My trailer isn't set up for it. The boat sits level on the trailer and I have to get at least the center of the hubs in to float. Usually it's easiest if I submerge the whole tire. That leaves me just enough room to walk around to the winch and not be wading. I'm not sure I can drop my rear bunks safely without dragging curbs or speed bumps. Maybe could raise the bow though.

Even so, this EC has a keel that's rolling off. The Mav has NO KEEL. None. The deadrise at the transom is zero and the deadrise at up near the bow is a still almost nothing. I don't know if you can dry launch a scooter, because that's what my boat thinks it is.

RickSawyer
AG
I dry launch my beaver without a ramlin. Just light as a feather...
Salt of the water
AG
Going dry on the beaver... Aren't you worried about rash?

I've launched the noe like that. Not really a good comparison though, because it's so small I could truck bed transport it if I didn't have a toolbox.

I'm more interested in raising my trailer so I can get to more remote places. 8 inch wheels aren't exactly conducive to offroad adventures.
Centerpole90
AG
Reason I asked if his was a Ramlin is bc most all of them are set up for dry launch l, and most all HBs sit on them. I'm going to look at my trailer closer and ask some other guys a the same boat and see how they are set up.

Are those small wheels on 4 bolt hubs Salt? What do you think that would take? Switching hubs/wheels or is it going to take a wider axle? Seems like your current axle is real narrow if I recall correctly.
BKClark
AG
CP, yes my trailer is a Ramlin and I can dry launch it depending on the ramp and tide.

I never unhook until I'm ready to go, as I've almost dropped it on the concrete a time or two.

Try using some Liquid Rollers on your bunks. Works like a champ and the boat should just slide right off, makes loading out a little difficult if you are by yourself as the boat always wants to slide backwards. No Problem if you have some one there to hook you when you drive on.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:

Are those small wheels on 4 bolt hubs Salt? What do you think that would take? Switching hubs/wheels or is it going to take a wider axle? Seems like your current axle is real narrow if I recall correctly.

Yep 4 bolt hubs. They make a 12 inch wheel 4 bolt but it's still a pizza cutter. I want a wider tire so it'll float on sand. Will probably have to go wider axle and new hubs to make that happen.
Centerpole90
AG
I can't believe that wold be too hard. I can't recall if that trailer was sprung or had torsion axles but even if you have to start again just shop CL for a used axle or find one down here and we can cut/weld it to the track you want next time you're down.
Salt of the water
AG
Gladesman for sale in Houston for 5k. No affiliation just seems like a good deal for a good looking skiff.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php#/forumsite/20501/topics/1785786?page=1
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Gladesman for sale in Houston for 5k. No affiliation just seems like a good deal for a good looking skiff.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php#/forumsite/20501/topics/1785786?page=1
Killer deal there!
Ayto Siks
I drove down to Islamorada yesterday. There was a small craft advisory and my guide canceled, but it was still a fun road trip.

I saw this sign on the way down. You really can't make a wrong turn.

On the way back to the gulf side, I stopped at my favorite canal and caught this sweet pea.

Centerpole90
AG
Details on the Peacock! Tackle, water, ...
Ayto Siks
I caught the peacock on a chartreuse and white clouser with bright red eyes. The peacocks in south Florida love eating cichlids, so I throw some ridiculous patterns with lots of color. I was using my Orvis 9wt bc of the high wind, and bc my 4pc, 7wt TFO is in 5 pieces...

I was fishing in a feeder to the Aerojet canal in Homestead. The canal itself has an interesting (to me) history. It was constructed for barges to ship rocket motors for the space program in the 60s, and was eventually abandoned. The canal is ~5 miles from the Everglades and has created all kinds of environmental issues.

The canal is box cut, almost perfectly squared, and about 8 feet deep where I fish. It's gouged out of the coral/bedrock and is extremely clear in the winter. It's a good opportunity to sight cast. To make this saltwater related, if you follow the canal towards the bay, you can catch tarpon and snook. At least that's the rumor. I keep telling myself I'll bike/paddle a long way one day, but I never want to leave my truck behind for too long bc Homestead is sketchy.

Tldr; green clouser on a 9wt.
Centerpole90
AG
Ayto is out there livin' the dream. Just living the dream.

Don't forget about your meeting with the Bobs.

Salt of the water
AG
Nice fish Ayto!
SaltyFly11
Has anyone ever been on one of those gladesmen? I will be in the market for a skiff in that price range soon and it looks like a really good deal. I just worry about stability. I would be taking my dad some and my wife and wouldn't want to have to worry about them.

I would obviously want to wet test it myself if I got serious but was just curios if anyone had any experience with one.
Salt of the water
AG
It's a narrow beam so it's inherently less stable than a texas style boat with a wide flat beam. But that narrow beam makes it way more efficient and it'll pole sooo much easier.

You're using a yak now right? Should be an easy transition for you.

I think the stability will be fine for most people on the deck. It's up higher on a poling or casting platform where things get interesting. If I was to buy that skiff I'd go poling platform in the rear and have the person in the front (Dad or wife) fish from the deck where they'd be more comfortable.
Centerpole90
AG
Loved this IG post. Could be anywhere in Texas as easy as FL.

https://instagr.am/p/BBTcnkDC0Hc

ETA

Salty I haven't ever been on a Gladesman but I will say that for a micro I don't know if there many any better by reputation. EC built its reputation on a few boats and the Gladesman was one of them. I agree with SoW that it's obviously tender, but you know that going into it. You won't see many with a front casting platform and most poling platforms are very low, to manage the issues associated with a narrow beam.

I wish I could see the one in the ad but I can't get the link to work for me. Here, look a this; this should set the hook-

Salt of the water
AG
Not sure if any of yall listen to orvis's podcast but I listen occasionally and got a chuckle out of this one.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/exclusive-interview-a-side-of-tom-rosenbauer-never-before-revealed/
Kalebcs
I'm making my way through the podcast for the second time around now. Tom seems like a pretty genuine and cool guy. They're subliminal marketing worked too. All I can think about now is a 5wt Recon and a 9wt H2.
Salt of the water
AG
Got out on the gheenoe for a little fly fishing today. My buddy snagged his first flounder on the fly at our first stop. Thought we were in for a great day.

Turns out the tides were lower than predicted and the weatherman was a little off on his wind forecast. Scared up a few big wakes and foul hooked this mullet. Other than that... Nada.

Scouted some new marsh though, and saw some structure with the low tides that I'll definitely hit up again when the waters back up.
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BBh--1viSna

The caption was "Houston we have some questions"
RickSawyer
AG
Ha! That is awesome! T minus 48 hours before I am in Grand Isle, LA gents!
Centerpole90
AG
Post Pics or it doesn't happen.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

We may have covered this but who are you fishing with? Scott Null or Jarid Malone?

I'll be over there fishing with Null on the 19th & 20th.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:

We may have covered this but who are you fishing with? Scott Null or Jarid Malone?

I'll be over there fishing with Null on the 19th & 20th.
I am fishing with Jarid. Hope to have a few pictures of some toads for you guys Thursday and Friday.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice.

Weather conditions look pretty good for Wednesday & Thursday. Lows in the upper-40s, highs around 60, and clear skies. Wind forecast is NW at 15 but much higher the next day or two. Hopefully that won't churn up the water. As long as it's more N than W you're good. The west wind really muddies things up over there.
RickSawyer
AG
Thanks. This is my first time over there so I am driving in blind to conditions. Wunderground has Grand Isle at 55-65* Thursday with 5-10mph SW winds and laying down just a bit Friday with higher temps. Either way, not in the office. Tired of watching energy melt down all over the board.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
As long as there aren't too many clouds and you've got good sun you'll be alright. There's so many places to find protected water you're good. It's just that there are some really good spots that aren't protected and a west wind can muddy them up.

One day last year was almost a bust because of the clouds you can see in this picture and the wind was howling all day. We didn't even get on the water until 11 because of the wind. But late in the day the wind died and we were working a canal when this dude's tail popped up about 60' off the bow and I got him to eat.

And the very next day we had perfect bluebird skies and no wind and the water settled out overnight to this in a couple places.

One thing Jarid will tell you is that you're rarely going to find these fish tailing and most of them don't seem to be orienting to the shoreline but they're cruising the flats out in the middle of these big lakes.

If the weather cooperates you'll catch fish like crazy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.