Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,538 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BirdhunterAg13 said:

RickSawyer said:

Where are you fishing?
Either lakes around BCS or down at the coast

What target species / method of fly fishing (skiff, kayak, wading)?
For now, bass/trout/reds from the kayak and wading. Probably in 5-10 years I'll add a skiff to that list.

Have you had casting lessons?
No, I'm wanting to go down to Orvis to take their free lessons, but it seems they are done for the year unless I read it wrong.

What rods have you thrown before?
Never thrown a fly rod. Complete beginner here.

If you get down towards Houston / Galveston I have a few folks I could recommend for casting lessons. A lot of folks will tell you to get lessons before you invest and while that may be true and sound logic, I was able to teach myself how to cast a fly rod on my own as a 10 year old kid living on the water in Kemah so if your heart is set on figuring it out you can do it.... I was also doing it on a $100 Pfluger combo from Oshman's so my investment was 20% of what yours would be today.

The 8wt I recommended above will be just fine for saltwater but ifyou want to fish lakes as well I would size down to 6 or 7wt. You may struggle on the coast with wind but as a beginner it won't matter if you have a 6wt or a broomstick in your hands, wind will ruin your day a bit until you learn how to control line speed.
Salt of the water
AG
If I was buying someone a starter rod, I'd get them a Cabelas cgr 7/8 wt. They're on sale for $60 right now. More than half off the usual price.

It's fiberglass which means it's slow action, deep bending and has a nice feel. All great attributes in a beginner rod. Very forgiving for learning to cast.

The negatives are, it doesn't carry a bunch of line well, doesn't do well in the wind, and doesn't like big or heavy flies. If the fly fishing bug sticks you could upgrade to a better all rounder like a bvk later.

Another budget option is to find a gander mountain st croix imperial (probably all gone but maybe you can get lucky). Normally $250, I picked one up for a friend at $125. Very comparable to the bvk.
saltydog13
AG
This is more along the lines I was thinking. I just don't want to try to fly fish and then end up with an expensive paper weight if I don't like it. (doubtful, but you never know) I also don't want to go super cheap though because I've seen how that usually doesn't turn out too well
saltydog13
AG
I would also say it'll probably be 70/30 fresh to salt for the time being since the lakes are 15 minutes away vs the coast being 2.5-3 hours away
RickSawyer
AG
BirdhunterAg13 said:

I would also say it'll probably be 70/30 fresh to salt for the time being since the lakes are 15 minutes away vs the coast being 2.5-3 hours away

I fish my 4 year old daughters TFO Bug Launcher 4/5 for catfish, koi, bass and carp in my local area and have a blast... Cheap fun.
saltydog13
AG
RickSawyer said:

BirdhunterAg13 said:

I fish my 4 year old daughters TFO Bug Launcher 4/5 for catfish, koi, bass and carp in my local area and have a blast... Cheap fun.
Yeah the main thing is to just get out there and learn and I can upgrade from there.
elnaco
AG
Alright guys, need some input. Later this year I plan on buying a new reel for my 8wt. Mainly will be used for redfish but also will be my travel reel for any other species which can be caught on an 8wt in both salt and freshwater.

I'm a huge fan of Tibor and Ted Juracsik's story and know the reels are tanks so I'm heavily leaning towards a Tibor Everglades or Tibor Backcountry CL. The weight and extra maintenance really don't worry me, but what I'm trying to decide is if the additional $200 is going to be worth spending on the Everglades. I realize the drag on the Everglades is much more robust, but for those who have used both or have used the Backcountry extensively, have you ever felt the Backcountry was insufficient for reds or another flats species you typically catch on an 8wt? Backing capacity seems comparable for the two so it really comes down to the drag, both strength and adjustment, and as dumb as it sounds, I do like the name plate on the Everglades since I do see the reel as an heirloom to pass down to my kids one day.

Part of me is still considering a Nautilus CFF-X2 but I'm just am a fan of Tibor.
bamdvm
I have used all these reels. Part of buying a reel is an emotional decision and it's obvious from your post that emotion is playing a part in your decision. Bottom line is all of these reels will work fine for 99% of what you'll use it for. (although you might be a little undergunned with the backcountry on a big bonefish). Based on your post, get the Everglades. Spend the extra $200 and you will be happy with it for the rest of your life because it's what you really want. You will be happy every time you look at a picture with a fish you caught on it and see your nameplate on it knowing you will give it to your son one day. You will smile every time you clean it thinking of all the fish you caught on it. Every time you clean the Nautilus (if that's what you get) or see a picture of it with you and a fish, you will think about how you settled for it to save $200 and your joy will be diminished. You will sheepishly give it to your son in 20 years while knowing in the back of your mind it's not really "heirloom" quality and wishing you had the Tibor to give to him. That being said, I have a Nautilus FWX 7/8 and it's a great reel. Have caught big reds, bones, and even jacks. Anytime I have really wanted a certain piece of gear whether it's a rod, reel, boat, gun etc and I've settled for less to save a little money, I've always regretted not getting what I really wanted just to save a few bucks even if the performance is the same.
bamdvm

https://vimeo.com/222671658
rather be fishing
AG
So I'm pretty convinced the fish that tailed me the other day was not a bone and was likely a skipjack. Caught several in the surf and they were fun. Biggest went about 25". Caught a blue runner that was about 16" yesterday morning in the surf that fought like hell.

Red fish trip was a bust. Hooked up on one that I fought for about 10 yards before he shook the fly. Another fish that was well over 30" blew up on my fly but missed. Didn't land a fish. Huge bummer.

Overall dissapointed with my trip.

Will have to make up for it in Idaho/Montana in August.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Alright guys, need some input. Later this year I plan on buying a new reel for my 8wt. Mainly will be used for redfish but also will be my travel reel for any other species which can be caught on an 8wt in both salt and freshwater.

I'm a huge fan of Tibor and Ted Juracsik's story and know the reels are tanks so I'm heavily leaning towards a Tibor Everglades or Tibor Backcountry CL. The weight and extra maintenance really don't worry me, but what I'm trying to decide is if the additional $200 is going to be worth spending on the Everglades. I realize the drag on the Everglades is much more robust, but for those who have used both or have used the Backcountry extensively, have you ever felt the Backcountry was insufficient for reds or another flats species you typically catch on an 8wt? Backing capacity seems comparable for the two so it really comes down to the drag, both strength and adjustment, and as dumb as it sounds, I do like the name plate on the Everglades since I do see the reel as an heirloom to pass down to my kids one day.

Part of me is still considering a Nautilus CFF-X2 but I'm just am a fan of Tibor.
Naco,

I have both the Backcountry CL and the Everglades. I have landed a 40# tarpon on my Everglades on an 8wt rod... It is a workhorse. I have caught countless redfish on the backcountry.

I fish the Backcountry for reds on a 6wt, I keep the Everglades on an 8wt in the boat for windy days / bigger fish. I also have a 10wt with a Mako 8500 for tarpon, jacks, bull reds, dolphin etc...

I highly recommend both of the Tibors but I would not fish the Backcountry on an 8. They are (as I said) workhorses. Tried and true.

-Rick
NW80
AG
I fish both Tibors.
Backcountry on. 7 wt and Everglades on an 8wt and a 9 wt.
You won't go wrong with either, but use the Backcountry on a lighter rod.
elnaco
AG
I like your thinking and definitely agree that I'll probably always wish that I would've gotten the Everglades.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Interesting to hear some of y'all say not to put the backcountry on an 8wt. I always thought that was the appropriate size for it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
elnaco said:

I like your thinking and definitely agree that I'll probably always wish that I would've gotten the Everglades.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Interesting to hear some of y'all say not to put the backcountry on an 8wt. I always thought that was the appropriate size for it.

I have a Backcountry on my 6wt and an Everglades on my 8. A Backcountry might lack a little bit in drag for an 8wt but it would make up for it in backing capacity. However, I like the heavier weight of the Everglades to balance out the rod and lower the swing weight, which matters much more than static weight.

I'm looking at getting a 1pc 7wt or maybe just a significantly shorter 7wt like the Shorestalker and puttin a Backcountry on it. The debate for me is whether to go Everglades or Riptide on a 1pc 9wt.

When in doubt, go Tibor. The heirloom quality is a bonus.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

elnaco said:

I'm looking at getting a 1pc 7wt or maybe just a significantly shorter 7wt like the Shorestalker and puttin a Backcountry on it. The debate for me is whether to go Everglades or Riptide on a 1pc 9wt.

When in doubt, go Tibor. The heirloom quality is a bonus.
When I am poling, my go to is the Back Country with 6wt line on a 7wt GLoomis Shorestalker.
Salt of the water
AG
A 2' skipjack is a big skipjack.
Ayto Siks
I didn't want to say anything, but I thought a bonefish was unlikely in Destin. I don't know their true range, but when one turns up on the gulf side it's newsworthy. Hopefully your August trip pans out.

There's some nice reels in here... My plastic Orvis Encounter is still going strong.
Centerpole90
AG
Interestingly enough I've read that TPWD surveys, with gillnets or whatever they use, turn up an occasional bonefish in the LLM. Obviously I don't think there's a sustainable population, and I don't know how they get there-but I have read that they do catch them some years. How cool would a bonefish fishery be on those expansive sand flats hugging the Island!!
rather be fishing
AG
I've caught bonefish in T&C, the fish I saw looked to have bars on its back, but I'm going with odds and saying it wasn't a bone.
Salt of the water
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Interestingly enough I've read that TPWD surveys, with gillnets or whatever they use, turn up an occasional bonefish in the LLM. Obviously I don't think there's a sustainable population, and I don't know how they get there-but I have read that they do catch them some years. How cool would a bonefish fishery be on those expansive sand flats hugging the Island!!

Apparently we have a smattering of permit... Offshore. I'd rather have a permit fishery than bones, but both would be even more awesome.

Sightings map here: http://www.fishesoftexas.org/taxa/trachinotus-falcatus
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Centerpole90 said:

Apparently we have a smattering of permit... Offshore. I'd rather have a permit fishery than bones, but both would be even more awesome.

I will admit that I need to cross permit off the list but... Jack Crevelle man. I love 'em.
Centerpole90
AG
Outside of the fact I have not caught a Permit, I would have to really weigh that. A fishable population of bones gives me a chubby; I guess I have to catch a permit to compare!

To rather's comment about the bars on a bones back, they are big time bottom matchers. I have pics of bones in mexico I caught over grass that have dark, dark stripes and one over sand where the stripes are darn near imperceptible.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I wonder if there were ever historical populations of bones and/or permit way down near Port Isabel? They have bones in Biscayne Bay off Miami and they're less than one degree apart in latitude. Not sure about permit in Biscayne but obviously they're in the Keys.
Centerpole90
AG
warmer temps according to tpwd

https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazine.com/fishing/education/texas-parks-wildlife-field-notes/bonefish-laguna-madre-rise-tropical-species-texas-coast
Ayto Siks
There are lots of permit in Biscayne Bay. Caught some on spin gear last year. There are even permit on the west coast of Florida as far north as Sanibel, but they're mainly offshore.
RickSawyer
AG
Permit in Louisiana...

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/07/angler_catches_caribbean_fish_1.html
elnaco
AG
When I first read the title I thought to myself, this for sure is just going to be a pompano, but looking at the pic, SOB that's a permit. Not entirely surprising though, I've seen schools of huge permit hanging around some platforms offshore. So if the water is warm enough, I could see them moving in shallow especially somewhere like La where it's open to the Gulf.

I'm surprised he released them, I would've expected a Coona$$ to have made permit gumbo or sauce piquante.

I've spent days wading sand flats in crystal clear water in the LLM feeling like I was in the keys. Can't help but think how awesome it would be if we had bonefish and permit just to mix it up more than anything.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
elnaco said:

When I first read the title I thought to myself, this for sure is just going to be a pompano, but looking at the pic, SOB that's a permit. Not entirely surprising though, I've seen schools of huge permit hanging around some platforms offshore. So if the water is warm enough, I could see them moving in shallow especially somewhere like La where it's open to the Gulf.

I'm surprised he released them, I would've expected a Coona$$ to have made permit gumbo or sauce piquante.

I've spent days wading sand flats in crystal clear water in the LLM feeling like I was in the keys. Can't help but think how awesome it would be if we had bonefish and permit just to mix it up more than anything.

I remember that story out of LA, and you're right. I'm shocked the dude didn't eat that fish.

Maybe we can blame Mexico for netting out all the bones and permit from the LLM like they've done the tarpon.
Salt of the water
AG
Elnaco said:

So first you make a roux...
Centerpole90
LRHF
AG
Spent the day on a flats boat fishing for Tarpon in Campeche! First time we have fished saltwater with fly rods, great time. Both caught tarpon, sight casting in the mangroves. Will tour some Mayan ruins tomorrow then go hunting/ fishing again. Promise to load some pics next week! Y'all probably already know about the year round "Baby Tarpon" fishery here, tons of fish!

Having a good week, spend last weekend in MT sight casting for carp on Bighorn Reservoir, was great prep for this trip.

<stuck for a day in Mexico flying standby, promise pictures by the weekend!>
RickSawyer
AG
LRHF said:

Spent the day on a flats boat fishing for Tarpon in Campeche! First time we have fished saltwater with fly rods, great time. Both caught tarpon, sight casting in the mangroves. Will tour some Mayan ruins tomorrow then go hunting/ fishing again. Promise to load some pics next week! Y'all probably already know about the year round "Baby Tarpon" fishery here, tons of fish!

Having a good week, spend last weekend in MT sight casting for carp on Bighorn Reservoir, was great prep for this trip.

This is doing it right! Looking forward to pics of both carp and fun-size tarpon!
Ayto Siks
While we're waiting for LRHF's pics...

Here's some fun-sized tarpon from the USA. Woke up at 4AM to drive to this tarpon spot. There are closer tarpon, but watching an Everglades sunrise is worth the effort.

bamdvm
Elnaco

I was trying to review your stripping basket post and the pictures aren't showing up for some reason. Don't know if it's a photobucket issue or something on my end
Centerpole90
AG
You've got the mojo.

You need

B. O. A. T.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.