Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,447 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good lord man - I am having a hard enough time concentrating as it is!
AggieGunslinger
AG
Finn, I get Scott's LA email every year but haven't had a chance go. Looks like it is well worth the money.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Finn, I get Scott's LA email every year but haven't had a chance go. Looks like it is well worth the money.

A buddy in my office and I have been each year he's done it and it's awesome each time. I went twice last year and took an old Aggie buddy on one trip- he actually took his 2 boys over there this year (fished yesterday in fact). They had a blast, even if they are gear chunkers.

Really it's not an expensive trip, especially if you do two days and split it with somebody. Considering lodging is included I think I've spent about $900 all-in on my trips. $700 is my share of the fee & tips plus about $200 for gas & food/beverages.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Yeah, I have a partner to split the trip so the money hasn't been an issue but getting the free time for both of us to go has been impossible. It's on our list though.
Centerpole90
AG
Holee sheet. This boy don't need any help feeding that ego; and now the New York TIMES pitches in?? Daum son.

Chasing Redfish Off The South Texas Gulf Coast

Finn Maccumhail
AG
SUMBEECH!

They need to keep the damn yankees out of our waters.
Salt of the water
AG
Most surprising part of the article to me:

quote:
It turns out it wasn't a red, but a spotted sea trout, a popular and handsome game fish in its own right. This particular specimen weighed a healthy eight pounds or so.

It's supposed to be a redfishing article but sight fishing an 8 lb trout seems like the rarer feat to me. I
Centerpole90
AG
You'll also notice he cited the particulars of the state record speck when he said the state record red.
RickSawyer
AG
Guess who's in Grand Isle?
Centerpole90
AG
Na na na.

We can't hear you from over there.
Salt of the water
AG
I expect to see some pics of large redfish and larger big uglies tomorrow. Good luck!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Most surprising part of the article to me:

quote:
It turns out it wasn't a red, but a spotted sea trout, a popular and handsome game fish in its own right. This particular specimen weighed a healthy eight pounds or so.

It's supposed to be a redfishing article but sight fishing an 8 lb trout seems like the rarer feat to me. I

I didn't read the whole thing but is agree. That's a damn big trout.

As for the state record red on the fly, I forget the stats but I think it's still held by a guy who was guided by Freddy Lynch.
Ayto Siks
Good luck! This thread could use more pics and reports!

I might be late to the party, but I just discovered Waypointtv.com. They have multiple seasons of on-damand episodes of Saltwater Experience, Bass2Billfish, Silver Kings, etc. You can stream to any device or watch on your Roku tv. I just watched some awesome permit and bonefish SE episodes today.
TxAG-010
AG
Has anybody on here had a chance to throw the Scott Tidal rod? Wondering how it performs, it's a little lower price point than their S4S which I have in a 9WT and love. I am thinking about buying my wife a saltwater setup for some future vacation spots so she can have her own.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Has anybody on here had a chance to throw the Scott Tidal rod? Wondering how it performs, it's a little lower price point than their S4S which I have in a 9WT and love. I am thinking about buying my wife a saltwater setup for some future vacation spots so she can have her own.

I have it in 10wt and I'm a big, big fan. Landed a couple tarpon on it this past August down in Key West though I did break it on a 70# fish. But their warranty work was top-notch. Sent it in and had a new rod in no time.

I think the rod is a steal. They look & feel like an $800 rod in my book. The biggest thing I've found is that I've no problem bombing out long casts but at the same time it's got great feel and responsiveness for chip shots in close.

I've also got an old S3S in 8wt that I'm considering relegating to a backup and getting the Tidal in 8wt if I like it. They discontinued the S4S I believe in favor of their new Meridian line which has gotten rave reviews.
TxAG-010
AG
Good to hear! I haven't gotten my hands on a Meridian yet, but i've read they are really nice like you mentioned. Right now I use my S4S as my go to and have the Sage Xi3 as my backup (both great rods but the S4S feels much better). Finn was it you that said you were going to grab the new Nautilus X-Series reel and have you got it yet? I'm leaning on pairing one with the Tidal. Something that has a good sealed drag but not in the Hatch/Tibor price range. Any suggestions on reels?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Good to hear! I haven't gotten my hands on a Meridian yet, but i've read they are really nice like you mentioned. Right now I use my S4S as my go to and have the Sage Xi3 as my backup (both great rods but the S4S feels much better). Finn was it you that said you were going to grab the new Nautilus X-Series reel and have you got it yet? I'm leaning on pairing one with the Tidal. Something that has a good sealed drag but not in the Hatch/Tibor price range. Any suggestions on reels?

Not me. I've got a Tibor Riptide on my Tidal 10wt.
Centerpole90
AG
Makes me jealy.

https://instagr.am/p/BBppndqC0EA
Salt of the water
AG
With a trailer like that you better have a good launch/retrieve checklist and not deviate from it. Or you can end up like this guy;

Centerpole90
AG
A good friend of ours, '55, is undoubtedly the most mechanically DISinclined person I know. One morning he launched a Fish n' Ski @ Arroyo City and tied it to a cleat. He also neglected to...

unhook...

the winch.

The boat followed him most of the way to the parking space.
BKClark
AG
Dude. Get yourself some liquid rollers for your bunks and thank me later. This is ezpz unless you have some goofy trailer.

If the ramp is too flat, it ain't ever happening for you. Peace

And yes you better be careful cause it can end up on the concrete
Centerpole90
AG
I have to actually get the boat off the trailer to put the liquid rollers on, right? So if I order it now - I'll have it by May when I can float it again!
BKClark
AG
Yep. Gotta get it off the trailer. Sounds like a personal problem. Put the boys to work and go fish
Centerpole90
AG
I make my living managing their F ups. The difference between success and flat-Azz broke is managing them and the millions of $ worth of equipment I hand them. Twice this week the root source of my headache-of-the-moment has been one of their wives.

Dude. Really? You won't stand up to her so you call me and hand her the phone??????

You just be glad it's a long way from the drill floor to the 9th floor!!
Centerpole90
AG
And while I'm ranting - where the heck is Sawyer! I know it's a pain to update TA from a phone on the road or boat - but IG is easy.

Why you no haz interweb in GI Sawyer?????
RickSawyer
AG
I am literally on the water hopping to another island!

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice.

But tell Malone to take you to where the big fish are swimming.

Null just posted a client with this fish earlier today.

RickSawyer
AG
I didnt land my big one, YET!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I didnt land my big one, YET!
Centerpole90
AG
In case anyone knows someone in the market for a little bigger deeper water sled - a friend & fellow Ag is selling his Maverick Master Angler. I've been outside the jetties on the bow of this boat and it takes the chop well. I don't know what the problem with the motor is. I'll post up the contact info if anyone would like it.

1994 Maverick 18' 9" Master Angler
1994 Yamaha 150 ProV- Does not start or operate!

New shift cables and 704 Remote Control in 2015
New Tires and Aluminum wheels in 2015
New Torsion axle in 2014
New bunks and LED light in 2013

101 lb. Thrust 36 volt Minn-Kota riptide
4 Optima Blue Top batteries
On-Board Battery charger

Has Full Cover

$8,000

RickSawyer
AG
Also, there is a 2014 Beavertail Strike for sale in Kemah (60hp etec, power pole, side console) asking 25k if anyone is interested. If I didn't already have my micro I would jump on it. Not mine nor do I know the seller but I snapped a few pics and grabbed the contact info...

Salt of the water
AG
quote:

How'd you like the marshfly?
RickSawyer
AG
Loved it. Jarid casted it also and couldnt believe how well it cast gor the price point very smooth. I had no problem with the 50-60 foot casts (unless they were into the 15kt wind then I just suck) and the chip shots were easy. The sound of the Tibor as a fish is dragging line is fully erotic.
Salt of the water
AG
Now I'm really interested. They have a shop somewhere in town or are they online only?

The black reel / black rod combo looks sick too.
Centerpole90
AG
Fully erotic.

Damn. I need to get back fishin'!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.