Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,829 Views | 3068 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dmperch
NW80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks "CP"! Just ordered a pair! Eventually the "noobs" will get the message!
BKClark
AG
Please stop giving away my secrets!!!
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone have any recommendations on a good lens color that would accentuate a green shirt? The actual color of the lens doesn't matter right, just how well it matches your accessories.
Kalebcs
Anyone know if ZapAGap can be purchased at a major retailer? Does it make that much of a difference? I've been using loctite.
Centerpole90
AG
Hobby shops, craft shops, and I would think somewhere in a good W*lM*rt. Although I can't be sure because WalM**t is a bad word since they decided to drag up and leave town.

What's the application?
Kalebcs
Fly tying. I use it on a lot of my Clousers and anything with foam. I've looked at all the places you'd think and can't find it. I guess there is no other option but to make a journey to FTU. Dang it.
BKClark
AG
Loctite works. I'm not sure Zap-a-gap is anything but glorified super glue. I use Clear Cure Goo Hydro because it makes beautiful heads with a candy apple shine and I just hit it with the light and it's dry (I get impatient). Sally Hansen Hard as Nails is good also (Walgreens/CVS has it). Regular Super Glue in the gel form is good also
Kalebcs
I've been interested in the UV cure stuff! It looks like it would make a lot of stuff easier. I'll still need the super glue for foam, but for trout flies the uv looks awesome.

I ended up getting the loctite liquid and it is working well. It's easier to spread around than the gel, but man I wish it had a brush. I whipped out about 20 Clousers in an hour today.
BKClark
AG
If you want something with a brush try Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. Works great and it's cheap. Just ignore the looks you'll get when you walk into a drug store and buy it.

You gotta have more than one type of glue on your desk. I think I have about 4. Each of them have their purpose.
Kalebcs
Everyone keeps saying that, so I'm gunna have to give it a shot. Will it stick foam together, or is it pretty much just a head cement?
Centerpole90
AG
When I read 'loctite' I was way off. I relate Loctite to thread locker for holding bolts tight and not to contact cement - that's why I was wondering about the application. I've used a lot of ZapAGap on R/C aircraft but now it's pretty generically sold as CA glue and most hobby outlets carry their house brand CA vs ZaG.

I use the Sally's like BKC, it works great. I sent Mrs. CP to buy it. Also, the UV stuff opens up a whole other world of cool stuff to do that I haven't even dabbled in yet!
BKClark
AG
Just head cement. That 3M spray glue is good for sticking foam together.
Centerpole90
AG
Soon. Very. Soon.
Centerpole90
AG
To play on a phrase a friend would often say -

She has just the kind of legs I like. Feet on one end, tarpon on the other.

https://instagr.am/p/BFCI9LTI3vb
Centerpole90
AG
Fishin' buddy. You had one job.

One. Job.

AggieGunslinger
AG
Ouch.
Ayto Siks
A string of tarpon ignored my fly today. Same for a few permit. I don't mind though. It was humbling and exciting. I caught this big 'ol boxfish on a fly and ended up snagging a permit on a shrimp. Pretty good day in Biscayne Bay.

Centerpole90
Ragoo
AG
Went out with Baron this past Friday. Water was up in the marsh and super muddy only saw a handful of fish. No luck this time. It was awesome cruising through the tight turns in his maverick though. So agile. Baron was great, turned my half day trip into an all day adventure and wanted to keep going at 5 when we called it a day.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I hear permit tend to ignore a lot of people's flies.

And it's not so much that once you hook up they're hard to land (although they do fight hard) but that they're just a double-barreled b!+ch to get one to eat a fly.
Ayto Siks
Finn Maccumhail
AG

Huh?
chickenfingers
AG
@ RickSaywer you have an email I can reach you at? I would like to ask a few questions
Centerpole90
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
@ RickSaywer you have an email I can reach you at? I would like to ask a few questions
Fredericksawyer@gmail.com
Ayto Siks
Sorry. I went on a long ramble about permit and tarpon. I deleted it bc the permit we caught yesterday were on spin reels and not fly fishing.

Yesterday was a wake-up call to how under prepared I am for the real world of big time fly fishing. Beach front snook and backcountry juvi tarpon are the minor leagues. Not sure how I would have battled a full-size migrating tarpon or permit on fly gear. Here's the perm:
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Sorry. I went on a long ramble about permit and tarpon. I deleted it bc the permit we caught yesterday were on spin reels and not fly fishing.

Yesterday was a wake-up call to how under prepared I am for the real world of big time fly fishing. Beach front snook and backcountry juvi tarpon are the minor leagues. Not sure how I would have battled a full-size migrating tarpon or permit on fly gear. Here's the perm:

If you catch a fish that beautiful on spin, fly or handline, i dont give two ****s, post it up! AWESOME!
Centerpole90
AG
Repost. Really.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Dude, that's a beast permit. Well done.

And with the big poon on fly one thing I've been told is that you can't fight them like you're scared to break them off. You've just gotta keep the heat on them the whole time, when they go left pull them right and vice versa. And if they stop jumping and try to roll, try and force his have back into the water and it will literally gag on the seawater and the fight is basically done.
TxAG-010
AG
I might shed a tear if I catch a permit like that on a fly when I go to the Keys in September. Awesome fish!
Centerpole90
AG
Dude, you told us your favorite part of your honeymoon was catching a tarpon.

I don't think that's a tear you'll shed if you land a permit on the fly.
Ayto Siks
Thanks! No forced perspective in that pic. I'm rocking that permit like a baby. I usually think about missed opportunities after fishing trips, but not this time. After losing so many fish at the edge of the boat or at the last painful second, it was a huge relief to see this fish make it over the side.

The first tarpon I ever hooked broke the line as the guide was leaning over to grab the leader. The second tarpon I ever hooked came unbuttoned at my feet as I tried to grab his jaw. I tried to swing a third tarpon sideways to get in landing position at my feet, and stuck my fly rod into a tree. The line got tangled and that fish got away as well. It's about time I didnt didn't screw up the last second and got to hold a cool fish.
TxAG-010
AG
Touche! I guess there's only one way to find out, I have to catch one first!
Chip Douglas
Anyone have a Sage Motive? I want to upgrade my setup and looking for a new 8 wt in that price range. I know Sage makes great products but curious on thoughts of this particular rod.
230Ag
AG
anyone been out in galveston bay lately? - i had a trip planned for Monday, but hearing the tides are super high.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.