Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,380 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
230Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Texags Holobox trip.

Next Saturday. I'm still packed from ill fated LA trip and passport is in hand.

that holbox place looks pretty awesome! looks like one of those guides offers a full day trip and 1/2 the day is fishing for big tarpon in the ocean and the other half day is fishing for smaller tarpon and snook in the mangroves. sounds like a good deal to me!
SaltyFly11
South Texas guys.... thinking about making the drive down to try and fish out of South Padre this weekend if the front holds off for long enough. Looks like a front is blowing in Sunday but may get a chance to go out Saturday unless it changes.

We have never fished this late in the year so I'm not sure if the fish are in different places and we need to change up what we normally do. We typically fish the islands around Cullen House and have some luck.

Any fishing reports lately? Or advice/suggestions on where to go/what to look for/what to use?

Thanks!
Centerpole90
AG
I haven't been out personally since all the rain. Tarponfly was down and fished all around the area you described last week and the water was, well, just crappy. So the only actual report I have to convey is not a good one. We've had upwards of 14-20 inches of rain in most of the coastal area since mid October so there has been a huge inflow of muddy fresh water in any back areas around the Arroyo or Peytons.

To compound things even more the wind is blowing a steady 35 right now straight down the ICW. Gusts are supposed to be up to 50. I'll bet the waves are lapping the bottom of piers @ the ICW cabins today. We are waiting for a front that should arrive tonight and then the waiting starts for the front you're talking about over the weekend. In the interim, Thurs, Fri, Sat AM - there should be some light winds and clear skies (per windguru), I just worry about finding suitable clear water if the fish aren't tailing. With tails or birds you'd be good.

Windguru today is saying the front will arrive about 9am Saturday with 25-30mph winds. That will zero in as it gets closer - just be careful having to cross deep water - I'm sure you know how fast it can get hairy on a N wind.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I can't speak for way down south but if the water is right (i.e. not too much rain) and we get a couple days of warm weather the marsh around the greater Galveston Bay system produces all through the winter.

In fact, it can be some of the best fishing. We tend to have less rain, plenty of calm blue bird days, and the reds like to get up on the mud bottom back in the marsh when the sun warms it up.
Centerpole90
AG
That is one geographic feature the LLM is almost totally void of; marsh.
NW80
AG
YOU DO NOT WANT ANY PART OF THE LAGUNA ON A HARD NORTH WIND!!!!!
Trust me! Been there in it a damned near drowned!!!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Yeah, I've never fished below 9 Mile Hole so other than reports or pictures I've got no experience down there. I need to remedy that.
Salt of the water
AG
Does the sand get murked up as bad as the rest of the bay? Seems like the sand south of the East cut should be somewhat protected. Not a bad boat run from arroyo city because you can get shallow after the Y, but it'd be brutal from SPI.
Salt of the water
AG
In a boat? Ship channel... Protected from the wind and nice deep (warmer) water. Same for the Arroyo. If you are a glutton for punishment, blind cast sinking flies in snook looking locales until you find one.

By vehicle to wade/kayak:
Holly beach, decent cove that may give some north wind cover.

Drive up SPI and try to get across to the bay side to fish the sand. I'm not sure if this is feasible so definitely scope it out on Google Earth first.

I don't know if it's cold enough to pull the sheepies out of the bay and onto the jetty rocks. They are usually visible if they're there but spooky and hard to catch.

Finn was spot on about the marsh on the upper coast though. Anywhere there's a good mix of mud and shell should be holding fish.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
YOU DO NOT WANT ANY PART OF THE LAGUNA ON A HARD NORTH WIND!!!!!
Trust me! Been there in it a damned near drowned!!!
this. We took waves over the bow of an 18' Kenner back in '95 going through the mouth of baffin. Ended up crashing in a cabin with a couple of gringos and a seor. The Hispanic guy caught a 31" sow during the storm and they fried it up for us. This was in April, not fun being 10 and wearing a bathing suit in 40 degree weather.
Centerpole90
AG
No, the sand stays pretty clear, it should be okay!
BKClark
AG
https://instagr.am/p/-PtozOuy4A

Was nice yesterday!
Centerpole90
AG
Just spoke with the bride's little sister. I think the newlyweds caught some bones yesterday.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Just spoke with the bride's little sister. I think the newlyweds caught some bones yesterday.
Just tee'ing it up there with newly weds fishing for bones...

Received my Marshfly Journeyman 8wt today. Haven't had a chance to cast it yet but from the initial eye test it looks great.
Centerpole90
AG
Uh, yes please.

https://instagr.am/p/-T5NxlHfbJ
Salt of the water
AG
I gave him a crash course fly lesson last time they were over and sent him home with a 5 wt to practice, but I think they planned on spinfishing cause he didn't feel ready.

I want to catch a bonefish. My wife had fun when we went to Abaco so it should be easy to get back there with a fly rod sometime.
Salt of the water
AG
Double post
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Uh, yes please.

https://instagr.am/p/-T5NxlHfbJ
I admit, I liked the Florida one so much I considered buying one despite my only blood relative there is a cousin who moved to Orlando a few years back... Gonna get one of these!
Salt of the water
AG
I'd be down for a group buy on an Aggie one with maroon/white text instead of black/red. Or a Texags OB Flyfishers one ...

Centerpole90
AG
I'm on it too. Yellow is one color I just won't do. It's my least favorite - but when I saw this I decided if that's all there was I was down with it.

Luckily there are 7 color choices and the logo will be available on T-shirts too.
Salt of the water
AG
I posted about a fly swap a while back, and I think we have about 5 people in. I'm no where near as skilled as most of you, but practice makes perfect right?

I'll still take care of the return shipping if everyone can get me their flies. Yall want to try and have flies in the mail before Christmas so I can turn them around and try to get it done before the end of the year? Or would a January mail date work better for everyone?

If your still in, go ahead and call a pattern if you have one in mind so we don't double up.
RickSawyer
AG
Two of SWC's Texas skiff shirts headed to Seabrook, TX!

I would love to do a fly swap.... If I knew how the hell to tie my own flies I would be all over it.
230Ag
AG
anyone been out lately? I've got a trip planned for galveston bay on sunday, dec 13th - hoping that the weather is good.
RickSawyer
AG
I've been bogged down by work and family gatherings. Gonna try and get some pole time next week. Watch the water temps but should still be good.
Centerpole90
AG
I was thinking about this just yesterday. The extent of my fishing activity lately has been taking care of my Christmas shopping for the kids. Christmas is going to have a nautical theme to it here.
BKClark
AG
Went Friday, had a decent but not great day. 4 redfish. Pretty stiff North wind. Saw lots of fish but not many eaters

this coming week looks good all week! hopefully!
230Ag
AG
If the forecast holds- doesn't look like much N wind next weekend, but who really knows...
Salt of the water
AG
Only free day next week is Saturday and its showing a 50 percent chance of rain... Maybe the forecast will improve enough to go chase some shallow reds.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Got out yesterday in West Bay. Went solo as my partner had to bail at the last minute.

Anyway, launched about 8 and it was a mite chilly as I ran to the marsh.

Since I was solo I used the trolling motor to work a slightly deeper edge where the shore dropped off a ledge a little ways off the grass. Managed a puppy drum and a lower slot red. Both swam away unharmed.

Then I did some experimental poling since I just bought a used 20' Stiffy Hybrid. I'm gonna want to go to a 22 or 24' even before much longer. Anyway, poles nicely. Tracks well and easy to get moving considering the weight. Doesn't spin well but that's not surprising though it's not too difficult to turn. Not much wind so I didn't notice any weather-vaning. Poling draft is an honest 10".

I'm very pleased with this boat.
Salt of the water
AG
How's the poling platform working out? Stability up there with the narrow beam?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Very stable. The beam is still 6' so it's on par with most skiffs. Plus the weight gives it stability. My fat ass can easily walk the gunnels.
Ayto Siks
I've been having some luck lately. More of a function of time on the water and not skill. I stopped at a pedestrian bridge that crosses a tidal creek arm and caught several snook last wkd. Plus 3 tarpon, 1 snook and 1 trout yesterday. Everything has been small, but it's been a blast. I really want to get a sheepie and pompano.

I'm basically throwing the same 2 flies. A brown gurgler for tarpon and a white minnow for snook and trout.

ccard257
AG
for those of you who don't follow Orvis on the FaceSpace, this jut popped up on my feed...

link
RickSawyer
AG
Looking for christmas ideas to give the wife.... Lets hear the wish lists.
Centerpole90
AG
Tenkara. Wait... No,

Nautilus 'Silver King'. That's more like it.

http://www.nautilusreels.com/estore/details/155510

In all seriousness I ordered a Birthday present for myself (@ my MIL's instruction) that should be here in a week or so. I'll keep it under my hat for now, but you may want to save about $120 of that stocking $ in case you like it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.