Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,425 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
You found green water? All I saw was nasty brown stuff. I'll post pics when I get them off my phone.

There were streaks of green mixed in the brown and you could watch them move with the current (green being relative to the Brazos brown). Coming across the ICW bridge, it looked like bluer water wasn't more than a few miles out. Maybe it moved in during the afternoon.
AggieArcher17
AG
First post in this thread, been lurking for awhile now! Caught 22 snook between my buddy and I off Bonita Beach in FL my first morning ever saltwater flyfishing this past Thursday! Shminnows and green and white decievers were the ticket
AGricola08
AG
Pics? Other than that I have nothing but envy......
AggieArcher17
AG
Obviously don't have pics of all 22 at once or anything but I have a bunch of individual photos! Buddy and I just got back to the room from docks fly fishing under the lights. SLAYED the snook. Also one 21" speck but he slipped off the dock before I could get a pic. I stopped counting my own snook at 15 and I only quit because I got tired of re-tying new tippets on because the snook tear them up so much. How do I post pics?
Ayto Siks
Whoa! I fish the beaches north of Bonita and usually only catch 2 or 3... on a good day! Were you sight-casting in the ankle deep water or randomly casting in the first gut / past the breakers? Either way, that's an awesome trip report!

To post a pic, you can upload the images to imgur and then copy/paste the BB code here.
AggieArcher17
AG
We found a baitball up against the rocks at the north end of Little Hickory Island and 20-30 snook were all attacking it at once. It really wasnt anything challenging we just threw our shminnows or clousers into the ball and did short quick retrieves!! Last night was unbelievable though I'll have to figure out a way to post pictures
AggieArcher17
AG

That pic of the fish is all snook. There were hundreds in the lights
Centerpole90
AG
Blue parachute for you!
AggieArcher17
AG
After a while we stopped posing for pics and just put the fish on the dock

Andddd a juvie tarpon
RickSawyer
AG
Looks like you won the lottery. What a night!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Out-freaking-standing!
Ayto Siks
You didn't have to tell me your exact location, but thanks! FYI, just north of the rocks (across the pass) is a nude beach. That's more of a warning, not a suggestion. The median age in Bonita has to be over 60...

That baby tarpon is one helluva bonus!
AggieArcher17
AG
Eh I was just visiting I'm not keeping any secret spots! Go catch em there and post pics up!
Centerpole90
AG
Somebody gonna be hard to be around now that he's a celebrity.

https://instagr.am/p/BHAkY1OC1nb
RickSawyer
AG
quote:

Haha!!! I mean a brand like Howler Bro's was basically carved out for my twin brother and me so I am pretty stoked about this!
Centerpole90
AG
You should be!! Very cool - you and singlefin should get Mono Swag. Y'all are like tailor made.
Salt of the water
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

Does that make us celebrities by association?
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone need a solo rig?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5649951458.html
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:

Funny coming from you, actually. A few months back I went to a Houston get together at BCA and a few younger Ags intoduced themselves to me and followed it with the very first question, "do you know Finn?!?" I played it off like I was holding it all together, all the while the thoughts inside my head twisted around, "that bay-boatin' sombish!"
RickSawyer
AG
Today was windy and sandy but persistance paid off...

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Funny coming from you, actually. A few months back I went to a Houston get together at BCA and a few younger Ags intoduced themselves to me and followed it with the very first question, "do you know Finn?!?" I played it off like I was holding it all together, all the while the thoughts inside my head twisted around, "that bay-boatin' sombish!"

Come on dude? For real??

I'm just sitting here at home practicing knots for tarpon leaders because the Minister of War & Finance is at a MUD conference in Ft. Worth until tomorrow.
230Ag
AG
anyone fished around Tampa, FL? I am going out there for work in a few weeks and looking to get a fly fishing trip in while there. been looking into mosquito lagoon.
TxAG-010
AG
Good stuff as always!
Centerpole90
AG
Completely overcast. Windmills whirling (15 or so in predawn). All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
anyone fished around Tampa, FL? I am going out there for work in a few weeks and looking to get a fly fishing trip in while there. been looking into mosquito lagoon.

Opposite sides of the state but you're in Tampa there's plenty of great fishing around Charlotte Harbor and especially south towards Chockolooska (sp??), Matlacha, Sanibel, etc. or north too.

I think Ayto is in that area and can help you out.
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Opposite sides of the state but you're in Tampa there's plenty of great fishing around Charlotte Harbor and especially south towards Chockolooska (sp??), Matlacha, Sanibel, etc. or north too.

I think Ayto is in that area and can help you out.

Dang- I didn't mean Tampa. I meant Orlando. Haha
Ayto Siks
I've never fished that part of Florida, but I've heard good things about the Indian River Lagoon and Mosquito Lagoon systems. Just do some research before you go. The region was hit by a pretty significant fish kill this spring.
Ayto Siks
The weather was great down here. Tow that skiff to south Florida! I took a last-minute trip yesterday. The gulf was glass all day long, which made spotting tarpon easy. We saw several pods roll and a couple of anglers in other boats hooked up. Didn't get to cast at any myself. We also scanned for schools of bonita and checked buoys for cobia, but didn't find any.

We ended up trolling the beaches for snook. I had okay luck on flies, but my wife caught a dozen+ on live bait. She also caught 2 mackerel and a grouper in 1 foot of water. The guide said he's never seen smacks that shallow. I really wanted a grouper on fly, but we didn't see any after that first one.

Salt of the water
AG
Do grouper get that shallow often. That seems more surprising to me than the smacks.

Heading your way with the gheenoe on tow in 7 days. Hopefully that weather holds.
Ayto Siks
I don't know anything about grouper, but we've pulled a couple gags off shallow rocks in the past. Usually in 5+ feet, but yesterday everything was extra shallow.

How far south are ya goin'? I can send you some potential coordinates if you need fishing spots. I wouldn't go here, unless you like crocs...

25.149562,-81.066541
Salt of the water
AG
Staying in Marathon. Thought about trailering down to big pine key one morning, but now I'm thinking I'll stay close to the house we rented. There's a few areas around boot key and curry hammock state park that look promising.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
I wouldn't go here, unless you like crocs...

25.149562,-81.066541

I thought you meant the shoes... Then I pulled up Google maps. Some of those are probably bigger than my boat.

Ayto Siks
Oh man, I'm jealous. I thought you were headed to SW Florida. Marathon is way better! You won't need any of the fishing spots I've found on the west coast. I've fished Curry Hammock SP and Coco Plum beach before, it's nice and there's all kinds of fish to chase. Pretty sure the Saltwater Experience guys did a bonefish episode in the flat just below Little Conch Key. Can't wait for the trip report!

Edit: those crocs are in a no motor zone. So you'd have to kayak or canoe there anyway... no thanks!
BKClark
AG
Text Message 1 @ 6:45: Looking Cloudy
Me: Yeah, let's check it in an hour
Text Message #2 @ 7:45: Not getting better
Me: OK, are you bailing?
I awake at the crack of 8:30 to the opening strains of Gimme Shelter (bat signal for my fishing buddies)
Buddy #2 on the line: Need to run my boat, you in?
@ the Bird Island Ramp @ 10:00 headed south. See Googans in a boat where they shouldn't be.
Dip into a little bay and begin to pound redfish.
Headed home at 2:00, see Googans still in boat (same place), two of the three Googs get on our boat for a ride home. 3rd one says he's going to wait for the tide to come up. Jokes on him, it may not come up for three weeks.
Beers consumed

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

https://instagr.am/p/BHIrgkvD_Gz

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.